Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarakiteque
Mar 27, 2010
I'm looking for some US policy/standard/certificate of whatever a highway guardrail has to be like to be approved for usage on US interstate highways.

I don't think I specifically need anything about how high a guardrail has to be installed etc. etc., but more on the material that it's made of. As in, approval for the product to even be installed (passing crash test or whatever is my guess)

Unless I am mistaken here (which I might be, since I just got into this the other day), I'm looking for the US equivalent of the EN 1317-2 that is in Europe.

The background is pretty much some company trying to get a composite guardrail (they only use steel here thesedays) made in the US, approved in my country by comparing the EN 1317-2 to the respective US policy and fixing the differences in one way or another.

What I understood from some quick reading is that NCHRP Report 350 < MASH < AASHTO Roadside design guide document, but generally NCHRP 350 and MASH handle the required crash tests, which it has to pass. Further to that, if a guardrail has passed according to NCHRP 350, it doesn't need to be tested against MASH again (since MASH is an update that comes from the NCHRP 350), but NEW guardrails do need to be tested.

Also this theoretically http://flh.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/manuals/pddm/
Chapter 8 pretty much has some guidelines.

Since the one guardrail the company here is looking at is NCHRP 350 "approved" it should be fine to compare that to the EN 1317-2.

That's more or less my very quick summary. How high, what poles etc., is probably handled by the local highway authority in my country anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU