Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
So I heard you like odd roundabouts.

https://goo.gl/maps/SujbM

Junction 8/8a on the M11 in the UK. The roundabout-with-extra-loop actually works pretty well - it's mostly three lane with traffic lights and a hint of turbineness about it. It handles all traffic to/from the north, and all traffic to/from the south with the sole exception of traffic between the M11 to/from the south and the A120 and the airport to the east. The extra bit of the roundabout provides a shortcut for traffic from the north heading west, and traffic from the west heading south - both significant flows. Junction 8a is the extra pair of sliproads to/from the south feeding directly into the A120 to the east (and thence to/from the fourth largest airport in the UK). To the south the M11 is three lanes each way; to the north it's two. The paired sliproads to the south actually start a mile and a half south of the roundabout.

I suspect this might horrify people in the USA, but I've never witnessed an accident here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

OK, traffic talk.
I was just in the UK on holiday, and man, pedestrians have to wait a long time for green over there! It seems it's standard practice to have a separate, pedestrian-only, phase (button activated) at the end of each cycle. So at a four-way crossing, all four crosswalks would get green at the same time, while all car lanes have a red. Saw this in Liverpool and London, at least. If you need to cross diagonally in one cycle, you have to run like hell, because the ped phase is very short, too.

You only get a green if that section of pedestrian crossing is fully protected. Otherwise, you don't. A green light when cars are still able to cross seems a very bad idea, to me.

There's no such thing as jaywalking in the UK - if you think it's safe to cross without waiting for the lights, then by all means do so.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Jonnty posted:

You see a similar design to that junction above in the UK on non-motorway dual carriageway. The speed limit is still normally 70mph though, just like on motorways.

Here's an example from the A90 in Aberdeenshire, although on that one the speed limit on the main road briefly goes down to 50, with speed cameras, because people keep on dying at it. Plenty of similar junctions on that road though.

There are also many similar junctions on the A1. Some have been closed or rebuilt - the Elkesley accident reduction scheme has been in progress for several years, for example - but there's plenty left. And the A1 is by no means a minor road.

There's still at few on the A14 I think, and there's definitely some on the dual carriageway sections of the A66.