Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I thought Pittsburgh was scheduled to get one of the fall PPVs this year? That sucks that we've apparently been passed over, since while I have no real desire to attend a Raw taping or house show I'd almost certainly go to a WWE PPV.

EDIT: A quick Google search shows Pittsburgh tentatively scheduled for HITC in October, I guess that changed?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Who had the worst W-L record in WWE 2012?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

CombineThresher posted:

Shoot matches in pro wrestling are generally a bad idea, especially when they involve insane, hyper-competitive athletes like Kurt Angle who will risk permanent injury to win and/or preserve their reputations. It was also dumb and petty to try and humiliate Tough Enough trainees on national television for no reason other than a dues-paying exercise that the fans won't understand or care about (another longstanding problem with shoots).

Was it Puder who subsequently got humiliated in a Royal Rumble, coming in right before Hardcore Holly, and a seemingly never-ending series of grumpy old veterans, who proceeded to no-sell all of his offense, and repeatedly chop him so hard that his chest started bleeding?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

triplexpac posted:

Triple H :haw:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

Maddox, but that's not really fair with his 3 or so matches. Isn't there a site that tracks this, even cataloging house show matches?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Maddox, but that's not really fair with his 3 or so matches. Isn't there a site that tracks this, even cataloging house show matches?

Cagematch.de is the site you're thinking of?

Maddox is 8-16 for the year (counting FCW) and 0-5 in WWE.

Triple H is 2-1 in 2012. He won a 6-man Tag Match at a House Show.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Tyma posted:

Whoops, I thought there was another site that did this, but yeah Cagematch would work.

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't

triplexpac posted:

JTG with a 2-53 record.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Roman Herbom posted:

JTG with a 2-53 record.

Quite frankly I'm shocked he even won 2 matches

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Tyma posted:

He lost to Lesnar & Taker.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Triple H is 1-2 in 2012. He won a 6-man Tag Match at a House Show.

Edit : Guh, 1-2 is not 2-1 :{

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Tyma posted:

Was it Puder who subsequently got humiliated in a Royal Rumble, coming in right before Hardcore Holly, and a seemingly never-ending series of grumpy old veterans, who proceeded to no-sell all of his offense, and repeatedly chop him so hard that his chest started bleeding?

I think so? That sounds like an accurate locker room court verdict to me.

Puder was never really cut out for pro wrestling; according to Lance Storm, he tried to outsource everything about developing a character to other people (i.e. hiring people to develop gimmicks for him) and generally had a crappy attitude even before the Angle thing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What happened to Puder in Ring of Honor? I have a recollection of him being brought in as part of Sweet 'n' Sour and Sweeney basically using him to troll the audience quite wonderfully, telling them they wouldn't get to see him wrestle unless they started being more respectful etc. Did he ever actually do anything more in ROH/have a match or was he just there for a couple of appearances and then gone?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

What happened to Puder in Ring of Honor? I have a recollection of him being brought in as part of Sweet 'n' Sour and Sweeney basically using him to troll the audience quite wonderfully, telling them they wouldn't get to see him wrestle unless they started being more respectful etc. Did he ever actually do anything more in ROH/have a match or was he just there for a couple of appearances and then gone?

They brought him in for that role but a month later Cary needed to cut costs so they axed him. He was blown off by doing these two minute challenges where he'd beat up jobbers, Claudio (who he originally beat up) accepted one of the challenges and beat the challenge by giant swinging Puder until time ran out.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Thauros posted:

I thought Pittsburgh was scheduled to get one of the fall PPVs this year? That sucks that we've apparently been passed over, since while I have no real desire to attend a Raw taping or house show I'd almost certainly go to a WWE PPV.

EDIT: A quick Google search shows Pittsburgh tentatively scheduled for HITC in October, I guess that changed?

Raw is coming to the burgh in March, so I guess we'll find out the PPV status then.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

They brought him in for that role but a month later Cary needed to cut costs so they axed him. He was blown off by doing these two minute challenges where he'd beat up jobbers, Claudio (who he originally beat up) accepted one of the challenges and beat the challenge by giant swinging Puder until time ran out.

Just when I think I can't love Claudio any more than I already do :swoon:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

MassRayPer posted:

Dat fuckin' Giant Swing :allears:

THIS is why we need K.O. elevated to the main roster ASAP, it's been too long since I've seen their Giant Swing into Baseball Slide Dropkick spot.

Generic CAW
Aug 11, 2007

BLANDTASTIC!
Does anyone remember that backyard promotion that had matches on a playground? I think it was in New York or something and their matches were actually pretty good (coming from someone who thinks backyard wrestling sucks.)
I remember we used to talk about them all the time a few years ago.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Generic CAW posted:

Does anyone remember that backyard promotion that had matches on a playground? I think it was in New York or something and their matches were actually pretty good (coming from someone who thinks backyard wrestling sucks.)
I remember we used to talk about them all the time a few years ago.

GWC

Come watch man perform a diving headbutt from the top of a jungle gym to the ground. Sir William Black is the true best in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke-f5TSsHw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Generic CAW
Aug 11, 2007

BLANDTASTIC!
That was quick, thanks! :)

I missed some Sir William Black in my life.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

MassRayPer posted:

Then Puder went to MMA where he's apparently doing pretty well for himself when he's not running a gym.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Aubergine Mage posted:

Then Puder went to MMA where he's apparently doing pretty well for himself when he's not running a gym.

He hasn't had an MMA fight since 2009 and never fought anyone worth mentioning in any way.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Something I saw pointed out somewhere else: someone mentioned a match in '02 between Kaoru Ito and Momoe Nakanishi for the Big Red Belt. During the match there's a group of girls in the crowd standing up in cheering and they thought one of them was current wrestler Natsuki*Taiyo. Turns out it was her and this would've been a few years before she got into wrestling (2004).

So my question is: what are some examples of wrestlers being very visible in the crowd or involved in the show before they became wrestlers/managers/whatever? Things like RVD as a kid being involved in one of Million Dollar Man's skits.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Suben posted:

So my question is: what are some examples of wrestlers being very visible in the crowd or involved in the show before they became wrestlers/managers/whatever? Things like RVD as a kid being involved in one of Million Dollar Man's skits.

Somebody else can probably tell you exactly what show it was, but Hornswoggle can be seen as an excited member of the crowd at a ROH show marking out like crazy :)

Probably the most famous of these is a young Mick Foley cutting school and going to a show at Madison Square Garden and watching Jimmy Snuka leap from the top of a Steel Cage.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Jerusalem posted:

Somebody else can probably tell you exactly what show it was, but Hornswoggle can be seen as an excited member of the crowd at a ROH show marking out like crazy :)

Probably the most famous of these is a young Mick Foley cutting school and going to a show at Madison Square Garden and watching Jimmy Snuka leap from the top of a Steel Cage.

Edge is also in the crowd at Wrestlemania VI in the Skydome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also I'm absolutely positive The Big Show can be seen as a fan at an early WCW PPV - I think it's WrestleWar 89

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Frot Lesnar posted:

* Night Of Champions - 9/15/13 - Detroit, MI

How much do tickets to a show like this usually cost? This would make a great birthday present for my friend.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Jerusalem posted:

Also I'm absolutely positive The Big Show can be seen as a fan at an early WCW PPV - I think it's WrestleWar 89

That looks more like The Gas Man from Dumb and Dumber.

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010
I like young AJ Lee losing it at meeting Lita.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GV8SFf7XRk

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Suben posted:

Something I saw pointed out somewhere else: someone mentioned a match in '02 between Kaoru Ito and Momoe Nakanishi for the Big Red Belt. During the match there's a group of girls in the crowd standing up in cheering and they thought one of them was current wrestler Natsuki*Taiyo. Turns out it was her and this would've been a few years before she got into wrestling (2004).

There is footage on A Current Affair or Entertainment Tonight or the like of Chyna doing autograph signings at the WWF New York restaurant, with one excited fangirl in tears. The fangirl was AJ Lee.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Well I mean more being visible on camera so you're able to notice them when you go back and see it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jerusalem posted:

Tommy Dreamer and Bully Ray were also there for the Snuka cage match.

Apparently Sandman can be seen at an early-90s WCW pay-per-view, dressed like Sting and (of course) drunk out of his mind.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Suben posted:

Well I mean more being visible on camera so you're able to notice them when you go back and see it.

You can see Foley (kinda!), they showed footage on one of his videos from memory and pick him out in his red flannel watching the jump.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 12, 2013

ChaosSmurf
Dec 26, 2011

SirDippingSauce posted:

There is footage on A Current Affair or Entertainment Tonight or the like of Chyna doing autograph signings at the WWF New York restaurant, with one excited fangirl in tears. The fangirl was AJ Lee.

I think we'd all cry if we met Chyna :smug:

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Maffew uploaded a video of Paul London at a WCW PPV in late 2000 - early 2001. If I remember rightly he yells at Scott Steiner, I'm surprised he wasn't killed.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jerusalem posted:

You can see Foley (kinda!), they showed footage on one of his videos from memory and pick him out in his red flannel watching the jump.

I remember seeing that, it's pretty funny that, even out of character, his one defining feature is the red flannel.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
You can clearly spot future CZW "standouts" Justice Pain and Nick Gage (real life brothers) on a few ECW shows, most notably during the famous Rey/Psicosis match that goes all over the ECW Arena. I'm willing to bet ECW is full of future Philly area indie guys in their teenage years.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
I don't follow Japanese wrestling. In high school I saw a lot of death match tapes. What's Mitsuhiro Matsunaga doing? He was always my favorite at the time in those matches. My buddy brought out a couple of the tapes the other night and I couldn't watch them anymore but I did remember him and I hope he went on to do better things.

What's Takuya Sugi doing? I think that's the name. The guy who bounces around and does a lot of flips and stuff. I searched Google for Japanese Cat Fish Guy and wikipedia says that's him. But it says something about him conspiring to get a guy arrested? I'm hoping that's wrong. But from the limited Japanese wrestling I've seen, I'd like to know how those two are doing,

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Sugi planted drugs on NOSAWA and his girlfriend (joshi wrestler Io Shirai) because AAA's Japanese liason had a grudge against NOSAWA and promised him a contract extension if he did it. Both of them were arrested and most likely faced long jail sentences (because Japan doesn't gently caress around with drugs, even weed) and probably the end of their wrestling careers in Japan but then all the poo poo about Sugi planting the drugs came out and they were both cleared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Quid posted:

I don't follow Japanese wrestling. In high school I saw a lot of death match tapes. What's Mitsuhiro Matsunaga doing? He was always my favorite at the time in those matches. My buddy brought out a couple of the tapes the other night and I couldn't watch them anymore but I did remember him and I hope he went on to do better things.

I'm pretty sure he owns a popular steakhouse in Japan now.

Price Check posted:

You can clearly spot future CZW "standouts" Justice Pain and Nick Gage (real life brothers) on a few ECW shows, most notably during the famous Rey/Psicosis match that goes all over the ECW Arena. I'm willing to bet ECW is full of future Philly area indie guys in their teenage years.

Absolutely. Trent Acid was a regular, and Papa Briscoe used to take Jay and Mark to ECW shows when they were in middle school. Pretty sure Nick Berk was a regular too, as was Dave Lagana.