Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

However he's basically crippled so, it'd be an out of shape 49 year old against a crippled 48 year old.

I thought we were done talking about TNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Anyone know why Kennedy being Vince's son was changed to Hornswaggle?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

ChampRamp posted:

Because Kennedy is a gently caress up.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

ChampRamp posted:

Kennedy got suspended for either failing a drug test or being linked to the Signature Pharmacy scandal, I forget which happened at the time.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

And it was right after he went on CNN or something, talking poo poo about anyone who does steroids, wasn't it?

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Writer Cath posted:

Tell me there will be lock boxes involved.

Russo would put in about 10 gimmicks into the fight, cornette would win by killing him

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sionistic posted:

Russo would put in about 10 gimmicks into the fight, cornette would win by killing him

by throwing powder in his face, hitting him with a roll of quarters, then suffocating him with an ether-soaked rag.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CombineThresher posted:

by throwing powder in his face, hitting him with a roll of quarters, then suffocating him with an ether-soaked rag.

You forgot "bludgeoned by a tennis racket"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Somehow, some way, Kip James will be declared the winner.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

projecthalaxy posted:

Somehow, some way, Kip James will be declared the winner.

Where did you get that awesome Wade Barrett avatar?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Karmine posted:

Where did you get that awesome Wade Barrett avatar?

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Trad Games Discussion, actually. I'm not sure which is nerdier.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Was it ever confirmed outside of speculation that Kennedy was supposed to be Vince's son in that storyline?

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot

Jerusalem posted:

Was it ever confirmed outside of speculation that Kennedy was supposed to be Vince's son in that storyline?

Pretty much. WWE was desperate to push him in any way, and every single time his chance came around, Kennedy hosed it up somehow.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Von Dozier posted:

Pretty much. WWE was desperate to push him in any way, and every single time his chance came around, Kennedy hosed it up somehow.

Not to be too argumentative here, but "pretty much" is not confirmation. I've certainly never seen it flat out said.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember correctly, they referenced it by having Kennedy come out and say he was Vince's son while the family scoffed at him for even trying to make the claim.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lone Rogue posted:

If I remember correctly, they referenced it by having Kennedy come out and say he was Vince's son while the family scoffed at him for even trying to make the claim.

Yeah but that doesn't mean the plan WAS for him to be Vince's son, there were a lot of guys at the time who were playing up to the angle trying to get in on the McMahon billions (and others saying they would kill the gently caress out of him if he turned out to be their Dad).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Has ANYTHING like that ever been confirmed beyond Meltzer or Alvarez reporting it? I'm not aware of WWE telling the audience about aborted storylines.

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Not to be too argumentative here, but "pretty much" is not confirmation. I've certainly never seen it flat out said.

I think a better question is do you think they really would of planned that to be a huge storyline that would of certainly made a main event career, for the outcome to be Hornswoggle?

They were at the point where they couldn't just drop the storyline when Kennedy got sidelined (can't remember if it was another one of his major injuries or the drug test).

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Von Dozier posted:

I think a better question is do you think they really would of planned that to be a huge storyline that would of certainly made a main event career, for the outcome to be Hornswoggle?

They were at the point where they couldn't just drop the storyline when Kennedy got sidelined (can't remember if it was another one of his major injuries or the drug test).

He failed a test, and Vince came out on Raw and said "Mr. Kennedy has been suspended for thirty days for... impersonating a McMahon."

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

No but there were giant arrows pointing towards it. Kennedy pointed out that his last name was Vince's middle name, he was on the cusp of a huge push, and the big reveal was going to happen in Green Bay, his hometown.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So the answer is that it seems likely but nobody actually knows. I thought maybe one of the dirtsheets might have gotten the word from a source or that Kennedy himself might have mentioned it after being fired.

It's not like WWE hasn't had a history of setting up expectations and then pulling the rug out from under fans' feet before.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Former creative team members have confirmed that was the plan for Kennedy during Figure 4 Daily interviews.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

Former creative team members have confirmed that was the plan for Kennedy during Figure 4 Daily interviews.

Well in that case, there we go!

Double dumb-rear end on you, Kennedy.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
...Kennedy

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Pneub posted:

I really want to see Cornette and Russo get in a "shoot" fight with each other. And by "shoot" I mean an out of shape 50-year-old vs. an out of shape 60-year-old throwing kind-of punches at each other until, let's say, The Destroyer, seperates them like a couple of 10-year-olds fighting over a baseball card.

Vince Russo would kick Jim Cornette's rear end. Vince Russo is a former World Heavyweight Champion!

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot

TL posted:

Vince Russo would kick Jim Cornette's rear end. Vince Russo is a former World Heavyweight Champion!

Russo does actually have more experience in-ring than Cornette.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm fairly sure they had hinted at it on TV too

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

They did the whole Vince looking at Kennedy saying "that guy sure has a weird walk" and then proceeding to do the powerstrut, among other things.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Von Dozier posted:

Are you sure? Cornette was getting bumped around by various babyfaces (and doing the occasional comedy six man with the Midnight Express) before Russo was even in the business.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Von Dozier posted:

How often did Russo wrestle in late WCW and early TNA? Cornette was in the ring fairly often with the Midnight Express, if I remember correctly.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Russo has wrestled like 10 matches and I think Cornette has wrestled in around 50.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
The whole Kennedy as Vince's son angle was cursed.

The rough outline was supposed to see Vince die in the limo explosion followed by Steph & Shane fighting over who would be in charge of the WWE. Triple H would be revealed to be Steph's husband at some point. Eventually, it would be revealed that Vince had a 3rd child, and he happened to be on the WWE Roster. Kennedy would be that child and was supposed to take on Triple H for control of the WWE at WrestleMania. Vince would come back at some point and say that he wasn't really dead.

What really happened? Benoit killed Nancy & Daniel and the limo explosion angle was immediately dropped. Then Kennedy failed a drug test so they went with Hornswoggle. They did nothing with it, really, except for having Vince try to kill Hornswoggle every week. Eventually, Finlay revealed that he was Hornswoggle's son the entire time and at WrestleMania, Finlay & Hornswoggle got killed by JBL in the opening match.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

The whole Kennedy as Vince's son angle was cursed.

The rough outline was supposed to see Vince die in the limo explosion followed by Steph & Shane fighting over who would be in charge of the WWE. Triple H would be revealed to be Steph's husband at some point. Eventually, it would be revealed that Vince had a 3rd child, and he happened to be on the WWE Roster. Kennedy would be that child and was supposed to take on Triple H for control of the WWE at WrestleMania. Vince would come back at some point and say that he wasn't really dead.

What really happened? Benoit killed Nancy & Daniel and the limo explosion angle was immediately dropped. Then Kennedy failed a drug test so they went with Hornswoggle. They did nothing with it, really, except for having Vince try to kill Hornswoggle every week. Eventually, Finlay revealed that he was Hornswoggle's son the entire time and at WrestleMania, Finlay & Hornswoggle got killed by JBL in the opening match.

To be fair, this whole mess gave us JBL throwing a trash can at Hornswoggle, so its not a total loss

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Eventually, Finlay revealed that he was Hornswoggle's son the entire time

This would have made for a more interesting (albeit more stupid) angle.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Nibble posted:

This would have made for a more interesting (albeit more stupid) angle.

Turns out Hornswaggle really is a magical, therefore 100 years older than he looks, leprechaun, who screwed some drunk chick 50 years ago.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
And that chick was Mae Young

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Matlock posted:

And that chick was Mae Young

It's a shame Finlay's half-brother never made any appearances after his debut.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
He had a real future as a ref

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I saw the term "throwaway push" in the TNA thread - what does that mean? Let a guy win a match and then bury him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Honestly, at the speed Kennedy was going at the time, I would've been totally fine with that if it had gone through as planned.

Then again, it was pretty much the Benoit incident that got me to watch wrestling again in the first place, so it's a Catch-22 for me.