Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
An explanation, re: Parkas

L.A. Park: The real motherfucking deal, the guy who worked WCW, and a hell of a worker. Also, a total nerd according to a guy who used to own a shop that sold horror memorabilia that posted on DVDVR. Was once propositioned by Madusa Micelli while reading the financial section of the paper in WCW according to Meltzer. Is not, as Vince Russo would have you believe, a "Skull Captain".

La Parka II: The guy AAA got to replace Parka whilst holding onto the copyright/gimmick after Park became an independent. Good showman, crap wrestler. Gets along fine with the real Parka as far as I know, but no relation.

Super Parka: The real deal's uncle. Kinda like the Rey Mysterio Sr. to Parka's Rey Jr., right down to the fact that Park is a MUCH bigger star and better worker. Although if I am not mistaken, Park gave his uncle permission to use the gimmick when it is usually the other way around in Mexico.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I was always amused by the fact that WCW tried to sell La Parka to us a cruiserweight. I'm sorry, that man was at least two-fifty.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

La Parka was awesome. In every match, Tenay always said "and La Parka, the biggest of the luchadores..." I swear, he seemed to say that sentence every time, like the people who watch every week constantly forgot that hey, La Parka seems to be the biggest luchador or if someone was tuning in for the first it was absolutely vital they were informed of La Parka's size.

Aside from that, his outfit was cool and his little dance on the chair was always entertaining. The crowd seemed to like him, but he was never really pushed as far as I remember.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Was it the original La Parka that had the Thriller entrance from the Youtube video?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I always pushed La Parka in EWR 1998 Scenarios with WCW :3:

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
There was also La Parkita, the midget variant. He was killed by a prostitute.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I love that after losing the "La Parka" name for whatever reason, he took on L.A. Park and that's fine.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
What does La Parka mean anyway?

The Parka?

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWu6FS6Uc_0

The Strutting Fallaway Slam in the Middle was made only more awesome by Silver King basically strutting along with him.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CVagts posted:

I love that after losing the "La Parka" name for whatever reason, he took on L.A. Park and that's fine.
What's really wack is that it would be pronounced "Elleh Ah Parka"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

The Parka?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEoHz56jWGY

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

The Parka?

The skeleton, I believe.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think people are really confused about what is and what isn't a depush. Punk going from the world title to the upper/middle midcard is not a depush, that's a regular flow of talent.

Punk slowly ascending the ECW card and getting himself over and then jobbing clean to Matt Striker, jobber extraordinaire, is a depush. MNM going from the hottest tag team in the company to a complete joke, jobbing to Heidenreich and Animal in a matter of months is a depush. Shelton going from the hottest up and coming star on Raw to floundering with the IC title for months and then getting a fat comedian to play "his mama" is a depush.

9 times out of 10 they completely kill the talent's heat, then push them again and are stunned when the crowd doesn't give a gently caress because they just spent months making it clear that they were loving losers. Brock blew up because he is a retarded hick rear end in a top hat. One example is not a trend, but Vince must have skipped class the day they taught that.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 17, 2010

down beat
Jul 11, 2002

LividLiquid posted:

What's really wack is that it would be pronounced "Elleh Ah Parka"

Short for La Auténtica Park; "The Original Park"

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Would it be ok to make it pop up Daniel Bryans page when you googled David Otunga?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
You know what David Otunga was known as on "I Love New York 2"?

Punk.

Maybe when he officially debuts and goes on Smackdown!, he can proclaim himself NY Punk.

It'd be deliciously bad.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Does anyone know if JBL has any plans to return to the WWE? He was such a great commentator. I'm watching the Batista-Taker last man standing match and I forgot how much JBL added to the match, especially in how he makes listening to Cole a lot easier.

Come back, JBL. :ohdear:

edit: I think a big part of JBL's commentary was that he didn't seem afraid to bash or cheer whoever he wanted. He would praise and insult both faces and heels alike. Also, he didn't mind not talking for a while. He goes 30 seconds to a minute without saying something and talks again when he has something to add to the match. Compare it to Cole who seems to think he has to speak non-stop, spouting cliches and platitudes 50% because he's desperate to keep talking. Although that may be Vince in his ear telling him to keep speaking.

oldpainless fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 18, 2010

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

JBL is apparently very happily retired. He is doing well for himself with his share portfolio and apparently not missing the traveling at all. During his last few months he was pretty much in constant pain due to a variety of injuries and strains he picked up over his career and he pretty much decided that he didn't want to end up like Eddie.

I miss his commentary, but its always nice to see a guy who can leave the industry with few regrets.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

JBL is apparently very happily retired. He is doing well for himself with his share portfolio and apparently not missing the traveling at all. During his last few months he was pretty much in constant pain due to a variety of injuries and strains he picked up over his career and he pretty much decided that he didn't want to end up like Eddie.

I miss his commentary, but its always nice to see a guy who can leave the industry with few regrets.

Agreed. It's why I can't hate guys like Brock or Rock; if a guy's heart isn't in the business, and he can leave without any regrets or major health issues, godspeed.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Everyone should be forced to retire after five years then given the chance to come back after a year off.

Yes, I DO live in a fantasy perfect world, why are you asking?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

oldpainless posted:

Does anyone know if JBL has any plans to return to the WWE?

He doesn't. It says something that he had the best deal any announcer had (use of the private plane to get home) and he still didn't want the job, partially because he didn't want to be in the business if he couldn't wrestle and (unsaid, but likely) because Vince sucks to deal with.

oldpainless posted:

Although that may be Vince in his ear telling him to keep speaking.

This. Once Cole was on the A-show Vince turned up his yelling. Cole and Foley called the Showdown at Shea show headlined by Andre/Hogan and Bruno/Zbyszko, without any oversight, and were entertaining as hell. Cole's a guy who gets criticized for being lovely when it's mainly Vince not letting him just do his job.

Skinty McEdger posted:

JBL is apparently very happily retired. He is doing well for himself with his share portfolio and apparently not missing the traveling at all.

Also his wife is a major player on Wall Street as an analyst and is loaded.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What has Delirious been up to for the past year or two?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

rotinaj posted:

What has Delirious been up to for the past year or two?

ROH/NOAH.

In ROH, had a crush on Daizee Haze, Rhett Titus kept cock blocking him, Delirious turned emo, joined Age of the Fall, did nothing for a few months, turned face again and became just friends with Daizee, and has been floating around in the midcard not doing much in ROH.

He has a GHC Junior Heavyweight title shot coming up in NOAH.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

dusty udder smoker posted:

ROH/NOAH.

In ROH, had a crush on Daizee Haze, Rhett Titus kept cock blocking him, Delirious turned emo, joined Age of the Fall, did nothing for a few months, turned face again and became just friends with Daizee, and has been floating around in the midcard not doing much in ROH.

CHIKARA
He was also brainwashed by Ultramantis Black using the Eye of Tyr into joining the Order of the Neo-Solar Temple, but was last seen running away...

...apparently he liked breakfast: http://twitter.com/UltraMantis/status/11089621795

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

apsouthern posted:

CHIKARA
He was also brainwashed by Ultramantis Black using the Eye of Tyr into joining the Order of the Neo-Solar Temple, but was last seen running away...

...apparently he liked breakfast: http://twitter.com/UltraMantis/status/11089621795

<3 the Ultramantis Black

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

Lone Rogue posted:

I always pushed La Parka in EWR 1998 Scenarios with WCW :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcBMYRgmEuE

and go watch this La Parka match

Acute Hepatitis fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 19, 2010

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
What's the meaning behind Stonecold's old "Other Side Jackass" shirt? I never did quite get that.

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot

Disharmony posted:

What's the meaning behind Stonecold's old "Other Side Jackass" shirt? I never did quite get that.

The back of the shirt

jackass

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well

Disharmony posted:

The back of the shirt is the last thing a Stunneree ever sees.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Disharmony posted:

Stone Cold hates commas and that's all I've got to say about that. The back of the shirt had a picture Austin as a cyborg.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Brickhouse Betty posted:

The back of the shirt is the last thing a Stunneree ever sees.

Sometimes you get "316" sent to your pager to let you know its coming ahead of time

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

dusty udder smoker posted:

ROH/NOAH.

I knew what happened to him up until the Age of the Fall angle, and then he just seemed to vanish.

During the time period after that, he's seriously just been doing nothing important?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

It looks like there's no give in that "mat". Jesus.

Mad Reverend Rad
Jun 22, 2002

rock and roll's greatest shithead

rotinaj posted:

During the time period after that, he's seriously just been doing nothing important?

In ROH, yeah. But his stock is rising higher in Japan so he's been performing much more there.

Plus, he's the trainer for the ROH Academy. He's doing all right for a masked lizard man.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rotinaj posted:

I knew what happened to him up until the Age of the Fall angle, and then he just seemed to vanish.

He had a brief program with Austin Aries for the ROH title and feuded with Sonjay Dutt for about 4 months. He was all over ROH TV too.

DemolitionDestroyer
Aug 5, 2006

I am dead.
Question for puro fans: Since it's been a little less than a year since Misawa died, have there been any significant changes in Japanese wrestling? Although perhaps not entirely related, the WWE has shifted to a much more family-friendly product since the Benoit murders and of course the wellness program has made a difference. Also, who would be the American equivalent of Misawa (at the time of his death)?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mad Reverend Rad posted:

In ROH, yeah. But his stock is rising higher in Japan so he's been performing much more there.

Plus, he's the trainer for the ROH Academy. He's doing all right for a masked lizard man.

MassRayPer posted:

He had a brief program with Austin Aries for the ROH title and feuded with Sonjay Dutt for about 4 months. He was all over ROH TV too.

Cool, that's exactly what i wanted to know. Thanks!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DemolitionDestroyer posted:

Also, who would be the American equivalent of Misawa (at the time of his death)?

Uh... mid-90s Hogan? Late-90s Flair? Undertaker now? HBK a couple years from now? It's hard to find a clear analog; Misawa was past his prime, but he was a loving legend and people weren't sick of him.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

Also, who would be the American equivalent of Misawa (at the time of his death)?

christopher reeve

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Question for puro fans: Since it's been a little less than a year since Misawa died, have there been any significant changes in Japanese wrestling? Although perhaps not entirely related, the WWE has shifted to a much more family-friendly product since the Benoit murders and of course the wellness program has made a difference. Also, who would be the American equivalent of Misawa (at the time of his death)?

In Noah, wrestlers paid tribute by getting injured in mass numbers in an extremely short amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

MassRayPer posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Delirious would get over HUGE in WWE and move a bunch of merch?