Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Was that the time Brock smeared blood across his chest on purpose or is that another crazy blood incident? I vaguely remember him doing that at some point unless I'm imagining it.
That was when Brock beat Hogan and used his blood as warpaint. Hogan jobbed assuming he'd get his heat back in a return match, but he left the company before that could happen which makes the whole thing so much more awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sugar Blaster posted:

That was when Brock beat Hogan and used his blood as warpaint. Hogan jobbed assuming he'd get his heat back in a return match, but he left the company before that could happen which makes the whole thing so much more awesome.

Didn't Brock beat him with a bearhug?

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Gaz-L posted:

Yes and kind of on the side forcing his shoulder into Hogans ribs.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, then he bashed him with a chair.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5k6rs_hulk-hogan-vs-brock-lesnar-smackdow_shortfilms

Skip forward to the last two minutes. He legit paws Hogan's blood across his chest like a loving animal.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Heyman freaking out and trying to warn Lesnar that Hogan is different really helps the match be the greatest thing ever.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Web Jew.0 posted:

Kurt Angle, Big Show, Booker T, RVD, and Rey Mysterious were also on the Smackdown roster at that point btw, so they weren't really that desperate.

You could not be more wrong. Angle and Big Show were injured, RVD and Rey Mysterio weren't and couldn't be heels, Booker T was just moved over in a popular tag team with RVD, so if you break them up, they have to feud.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Sue Denim posted:

I totally missed the JBL run, my interest in wrestling came back right after he lost to Mysterio at Mania, it would be great if anyone could recommend some matches from the JBL period, because from what I've seen he was fantastic.

JBL wasn't exactly gold in the ring. But all of his matches with Guerrero(Judgment Day 2004, GAB 2004, a cage match on SmackDown) were all good to great. Judgment Day 2004 is a bit hard to watch, as Eddie bleeds so much he went into shock after, and when you know about the issues he was having with confidence in his drawing abilities and his desire to get the match over, it gets even worse. Still, though, a ton of drama in that match, as well as the bullrope match at GAB.

Aside from that, I can't really think of many good JBL matches. Like AGF said, his best time was when he was on commentary.

Also, saying they weren't too desperate is kind of incorrect: Angle was working injured and took a little time off after WrestleMania, taking on the GM role on SmackDown, Rey Mysterio was the cruiserweight champion so that would have been a HUGE leap up at the time, and RVD and Booker were both firmly in the midcard at that point, involved in feuds over the US title. RVD and Booker both were decent candidates, but you can't think of them as the post-06 RVD and Booker. Big Show also took time off after Wrestlemania, after a match with Guerrero in fact, not returning until later that year. So while JBL was definitely an odd, out of nowhere choice, things were actually pretty bleak on SmackDown at that point.

e:f,b but with different details.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Plus it's generally easier to rocket-push a heel than a face. Theoretically, resentment over the push being undeserved can be channeled into more heat.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Is super dragon retired now or he waiting in the wings? and if he's gone who we turn our rage on?

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Manwithastick posted:

Is super dragon retired now or he waiting in the wings? and if he's gone who we turn our rage on?

Super Dragon retired due to mounting injuries.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Jack Anderson posted:

Who was he trying to mount when he got injured?

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

MrBling posted:

Who was he trying to mount when he got injured?

He was trying to kick the rear end of a bum who bit his friend and when he found out knees shouldn't make a screeching noise he figured it was time to hang up his mask.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Jack Anderson posted:

He was trying to kick the rear end of a bum who bit his friend and when he found out knees shouldn't make a screeching noise he figured it was time to hang up his mask.

Dammit Vin!

Toadofsky
Dec 19, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
TWO QUESTIONS

Who was booking for TNA when it was supposedly good in ~2005?

And how much do wrestlers get paid to do Indy shows? Like if a wrestler is a no name how much does he get, and then how much do former big names get, like DDP or Jake the Snake or somebody like that?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Toadofsky posted:

Dutch Mantell and Jeff Jarrett, among others.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Toadofsky posted:

Who was booking for TNA when it was supposedly good

Wasn't Dutch Mantel supposedly in charge at that point?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Toadofsky posted:

TWO QUESTIONS

And how much do wrestlers get paid to do Indy shows? Like if a wrestler is a no name how much does he get, and then how much do former big names get, like DDP or Jake the Snake or somebody like that?

Scott D'Amore, Jeff Jarrett and Dutch Mantell. Scott is the one who would lay out PPV cards with the idea that they would book matches with potential to be good, and have lots of Team Canada matches so he could be on TV.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Toadofsky posted:

It really depends on the promotion and how little of a name you have. I got anywhere from as little as $10.00 to the astronomical sum of $55.00 and I was a total nobody. If you are a big local name you can ask for $75 to $100 a show or more.

Big names start out asking for a lot but have been known to go down on that number with haggling. It also depends on if you want them to actually wrestle, or just cut a promo and how much of a draw they think they are.

I have also been paid in "All the pizza I could take home" and a case of Dr. Pepper

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 2, 2011

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Toadofsky posted:

It was a team consisting of Dutch Mantell, Jeff Jerrett, Scott D'Amore, Jeremy Borash and Mike Tenay.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The big thing to realize about TNA's golden period of about 3 months in 2005 is that they were online and PPV only, meaning nobody was focused on RATINGS!!!!! and just booked simple wrestling with great matches.

Then they when they got close to the Spike start date Jeff Jarrett won the title from Raven at a house show in a gently caress finish :geno:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Charisma posted:

The big thing to realize about TNA's golden period of about 3 months in 2005 is that they were online and PPV only, meaning nobody was focused on RATINGS!!!!! and just booked simple wrestling with great matches.

Then they when they got close to the Spike start date Jeff Jarrett won the title from Raven at a house show in a gently caress finish :geno:

Another company's house show. It was so important for JJ to be champion that they had to do it on a non TNA show.

Trapjaw
Jan 30, 2005

Sup, Haddonfield?

Moose Bigelow posted:

Watched the Bob Holly YouShoot on Youtube and he says that JR and Vince were pissed with Bart for knocking out Dr Death.

Is there any kind of link around here for awesome shoot vids?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Captain Charisma posted:

To be fair, they were good for the first couple of months on Spike too. THat was the period that Styles vs. Joe vs. Fallen Angel happened. The storyline where Jackie became Jarrett's slave in early 2006 is where things really bottomed out.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Surprised I noticed this but....The Punchport Pagoda?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Surprised I noticed this but....The Punchport Pagoda?

MMA/Boxing got merged with Wrestlehut. Welcome to TPP.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

To be fair, they were good for the first couple of months on Spike too. THat was the period that Styles vs. Joe vs. Fallen Angel happened. The storyline where Jackie became Jarrett's slave in early 2006 is where things really bottomed out.

I always tend to disagree with this. Yes, Joe-Daniels-Styles was great, but Impact was a mess. They tried to cram everyone on TV, and nothing sank in. The matches were unbelievably short, the angles were unmemorable, and they went a mile a minute and never stopped to let you catch your breath.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

MMA/Boxing got merged with Wrestlehut. Welcome to TPP.

Sorry, it's Punch Sport Pagoda.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

I always tend to disagree with this. Yes, Joe-Daniels-Styles was great, but Impact was a mess. They tried to cram everyone on TV, and nothing sank in. The matches were unbelievably short, the angles were unmemorable, and they went a mile a minute and never stopped to let you catch your breath.

man sounds like they had some real total nonstop action going on

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

Someone should tell Russo to only write an hour long show, then they take that script and stretch it into two hours. This is repeated a lot, but one of the biggest problems with TNA is pacing. Nothing gets a chance to breathe or barely even exist before we're on to the next moment or some run in is happening or we're headed to the back and a shaky-cam is focusing on Ric Flair's pinky and Bischoff's third knuckle on his right hand. If everything had a chance to start, happen, and then end, it'd at least turn out better than it is now. Guys are in the ring before people even have a chance to realize what music is playing; post-match beatdowns happen before you can figure out who actually won the match. If the show was just able to breathe once in awhile, and let people comprehend all that just happened, it'd make a world of difference. Recapping previous events every now and then wouldn't hurt, either.

Then again, Russo would still be writing it, and it'd basically just allow his bullshit to be explained in more detail, so it'd probably still be a crap show anyway.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Manwithastick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfUXJhlCHbU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Jack Anderson posted:

Sorry, it's Punch Sport Pagoda.

Oops, my bad.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

El Duke posted:

Someone should tell Russo to only write an hour long showanyway.

Amazingly enough this was pre-Russo, so it was merely "If they'd just slow down and not do retarded things like immediately shove the title onto Jeff Jarrett they'd be fine" instead of "Welp there's no hope for these fuckers."

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

Amazingly enough this was pre-Russo, so it was merely "If they'd just slow down and not do retarded things like immediately shove the title onto Jeff Jarrett they'd be fine" instead of "Welp there's no hope for these fuckers."

Oh, right. I can't keep his various TNA eras straight. Either way, working on their television pacing has been something they've needed to do for a long time, and it's only gotten worse with Russo at the helm.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

You could not be more wrong. Angle and Big Show were injured, RVD and Rey Mysterio weren't and couldn't be heels, Booker T was just moved over in a popular tag team with RVD, so if you break them up, they have to feud.

Angle was injured but he came back by interfering in JBL/Eddie's last match so Eddie could have just as easily won the JBL feud then dropped the title for Angle to hold in an 8 month reign of terror before dropping it to Cena at WM21.

Booker T actually didnt feud with RVD when he turned heel on SD. When JBL turned heel and shot up the card, Booker T turned heel, tried to use magic dust against the Undertaker (didn't work) and lost a best of 5 series against Cena for the US title. They could have switched places too, Booker T being a better wrestler and bigger star to begin with.

JBL was no Lou Thesz but he also wasnt totally lovely though so i guess I'm just fantasy booking my favorites.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Web Jew.0 posted:

Angle was injured but he came back by interfering in JBL/Eddie's last match so Eddie could have just as easily won the JBL feud then dropped the title for Angle to hold in an 8 month reign of terror before dropping it to Cena at WM21.

Angle's "Interference" was showing an instant replay showing that JBL in fact won. He was still in a wheelchair at the time.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Beer_Suitcase posted:

It really depends on the promotion and how little of a name you have. I got anywhere from as little as $10.00 to the astronomical sum of $55.00 and I was a total nobody. If you are a big local name you can ask for $75 to $100 a show or more.

Big names start out asking for a lot but have been known to go down on that number with haggling. It also depends on if you want them to actually wrestle, or just cut a promo and how much of a draw they think they are.

I have also been paid in "All the pizza I could take home" and a case of Dr. Pepper
Just chiming in to vouch for this. Suitcase has me beat, as the most I've ever taken home was $50. Usually I got no money and was "paid" via the training I received (ranging from free for a couple of years, to extremely cheap). I still consider it a drat fine deal, since I only did it for fun and never wanted it as a career. At least I wasn't a "ticket seller" (a tactic often used to lure backyarders, at least in the NY/NJ area -- sell X amount of tickets, get booked on the show).

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Minidust posted:

Just chiming in to vouch for this. Suitcase has me beat, as the most I've ever taken home was $50. Usually I got no money and was "paid" via the training I received (ranging from free for a couple of years, to extremely cheap). I still consider it a drat fine deal, since I only did it for fun and never wanted it as a career. At least I wasn't a "ticket seller" (a tactic often used to lure backyarders, at least in the NY/NJ area -- sell X amount of tickets, get booked on the show).

Well the only reason I got the 55 bucks was due to the horrible concussion I received and the promoter felt badd about it.

I took the bump, a double team Powerbomb or something and hit a portion of the ring that was barely padded, after that I dont remember anything for the next25-30 min. But my friends say I finished my spots then rolled out of the ring, went to the back and threw up in my gear bag.

I came to and I was in a shouting match with the top Heel of the promotion because my concussed brain decided it was a good idea to tell him how fat his ugly wife was.

I did work for free for about 10 months because I was in training and was "payin mah dues" so that also meant on top of training for 4 hours before the show, I had to take the ring down, and then make sure I got to the venue (sometimes 50 to 100 miles away) 2 hours early to put the loving ring BACK up, set up chairs and then work the show and then take it all down again when the show was finished.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jack Anderson posted:

That, and he was getting progressively more out of shape to the point where it got embarrassing.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

Angle's "Interference" was showing an instant replay showing that JBL in fact won. He was still in a wheelchair at the time.

"He was still in a wheelchair at the time" kinda implies he was in a wheelchair because of his injury lol. But I meant this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6w5w_pN6rE&t=2m09s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has any wrestler ever said a bad word about Undertaker? I know he's basically universally loved, but has ANYBODY ever spoken ill of him? London, Kendrick, Steiner, Sheik, anybody?