Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Big Poppa posted:

You see, in a normal drug test - you have a 50/50 chance of failing. But since its Scott Steiner, that percentage goes up to 75%. And then Triple H knows he will fail, so he won't even try.. so we have a 50/50 chance, plus 66 and 2/3, plus....

I love that I've heard the original enough to have steiner act this out in my head. Even if that sounds creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

My understanding was that it was someone posting a "quote" that was based on things that actually WERE in the biography, but put together in such a way to make it look as bad for Batista as possible.

I grabbed MELINA'S can and then I touched her sweetcan and then I can with her sweet sweet sw sw sw sweet can

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Captain Charisma posted:

I grabbed MELINA'S can and then I touched her sweetcan and then I can with her sweet sweet sw sw sw sweet can

He's Rowdy Roddy Peeper!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Captain Charisma posted:

Batista: .....yello?
Voice on phone: Hello Dave, this is God........ WRESTLING GAWD! JBL!
Batista: 'Sup Jibble.

Made You Look
Oct 17, 2008

Jerichoholics Anonymous
What's the story (kayfabe) with HHH and Steph? I remember she originally hated him, then turned on Vince and they had the whole McMahon/Helmsley era. But then for some reason I remember her wanting to divorce him or something towards the end of my first segment of being a wrestling fan. Once she started hating HHH was around the time I stopped watching, with an show here or there. Whenever I did watch it looked like they were broken up or whatever.

So what's happened with them in between that and HHH's priceless reaction when he was handcuffed and Randy was going to punt Steph. Was that supposed to be a sort of kayfabe breach to add emotion or something, where the fans know they're not really "divorced" or whatever? I was just really confused

Edit: For reference I was about 9-10 years old when all of this happened and had just started watching wrestling so I had no idea what the gently caress was real/fake/a shoot or whatever. Also I was/am a huge HHH mark. I have no idea why my 9 year old brain loved HHH and absolutely hated the Rock (and had no feelings toward austin).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Made You Look posted:

What's the story (kayfabe) with HHH and Steph? I remember she originally hated him, then turned on Vince and they had the whole McMahon/Helmsley era. But then for some reason I remember her wanting to divorce him or something towards the end of my first segment of being a wrestling fan. Once she started hating HHH was around the time I stopped watching, with an show here or there. Whenever I did watch it looked like they were broken up or whatever.

So what's happened with them in between that and HHH's priceless reaction when he was handcuffed and Randy was going to punt Steph. Was that supposed to be a sort of kayfabe breach to add emotion or something, where the fans know they're not really "divorced" or whatever? I was just really confused

Edit: For reference I was about 9-10 years old when all of this happened and had just started watching wrestling so I had no idea what the gently caress was real/fake/a shoot or whatever. Also I was/am a huge HHH mark. I have no idea why my 9 year old brain loved HHH and absolutely hated the Rock (and had no feelings toward austin).

Enough people know that they are married for real that they can run an angle on it. Besides when they break kayfabe it can make an angle even bigger because they can be like 'this poo poo is for realsies' I dont think there was ever a moment before that angle where they admitted they were married but I do think HHH has made a few smark bating comments about it over the years.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Made You Look posted:

she like faked a pregnancy or something because she thought the marriage was going to poo poo and HHH found out and called her some real nasty names and then they made out on the 15th anniversary show

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

BUTTHOLE MAGICIAN posted:

she like faked a pregnancy or something because she thought the marriage was going to poo poo and HHH found out and called her some real nasty names and then they made out on the 15th anniversary show

Oh yeah I forgot they did kind of break kayfabe on that show, but seriously more of the audience knew they were married before that then didn't.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Naturally HHH's reaction to this whole fake pregnancy was to attempt to pedigree his wife in her wedding dress on the announce table. Or something like that.

I remember that whole storyline really pissing me off, I think I've blocked most of it from my memory.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I think the timeline is something like this:

-Fall 1999 Triple H gives steph date rape drugs and marries her
-Fall 1999 Steph hate Triple H
-Armageddon 1999, Steph Turns on Vince and Mcmahon/Helmsly era takes place in early 2000
-Fall 2000ish some sort of love triangle between HHH, Kurt Angle, and Steph
-Late 2000/early 2001 They're both around but not really in a program together
-Spring 2001 Triple H blows quad
-Spring 2001 Steph is the owner of ECW, is fired by Vince at the conclusion of the storyline.
-January 2002 Triple H returns, Steph kayfabe uses the fact that he's her husband to get back on tv. She acts like a bitch, explains that it's because she's pregnet, Trips agrees to renew wedding vows, she revieals she's not pregnet. They decide to get divorced which results in a long drawn out fued leading up to wrestlemaina that fucks up Jericho's title run.
-Triple H wins some match that gets Steph banned from the WWE.

After that it seems like they're a happy husband a wife again. No explaintion was given for what happened to their kayfabe divorce as far as I know.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 7, 2009

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

What is the gorilla position? The latest Botchamania included a shoot with Gene Okerlund saying " nowVince was there in the gorilla position, anyone who is anyone knows aboutthe gorilla position :smugdog:... I wanna be cool too,..

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

projecthalaxy posted:

What is the gorilla position? The latest Botchamania included a shoot with Gene Okerlund saying " nowVince was there in the gorilla position, anyone who is anyone knows aboutthe gorilla position :smugdog:... I wanna be cool too,..

I believe it's the spot right behind the entrance way where agents give the guys the last minute instructions before the match. It's named for Gorilla Monsoon.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Backstage, just behind the entranceway.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
These questions have to be asked:

What, exactly, is the WWE style? What match perfectly defines this style? What wrestler uses it best?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Batmanuel posted:

What, exactly, is the WWE style? What match perfectly defines this style? What wrestler uses it best?

basically the wwe style is working extremely safe so as not to hurt your opponent, and being able to get through a match in 3-15 minutes, relying on familiar spots, signature moves, and a consistent finisher.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Also a poo poo-ton of irish whips.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Ishin posted:

Also a poo poo-ton of irish whips.

And rest holds.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
It does kinda sound boring, but it's probably pretty much necesarry for most guys if they want to survive 4-5 house shows a week.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
One thing I agree with about the "WWE style" is how they save the epic, Wrestlemania style near falls for, well, Wrestlemania level matches. The number of near finishes on any given ROH card, or any other indy really, drive me nuts.

Nothing To See Here
Apr 14, 2009
grabbed this from the wrestling newsthread, just a quick question

quote:

As reported on earlier, WWE announced the release of Brian Kendrick last Thursday, effective July 30, 2009. Kendrick, who is 30, was warned several times that the company would not tolerate his failing drug tests for marjiuana (which is a $1,000 fine and not a full suspension) and was at least one of two wrestlers who had their pushes stopped because of it, reports The Wrestling Observer Newsletter. His release from the company was believed to be related to his failing drug tests. However, when he was told by WWE's John Laurinaitis that he was getting released, the reason he was given was because of the economy and nothing else. Those who heard the reason Kendrick was given for his release found it to be both surprising and lame. Pat Patterson reportedly spoke up for Kendrick in the past when there was talks of releasing him earlier when he continued to test positive for marijuana use.

Anyone know who the only wrestler was who lost his push?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Speculation points to MVP.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah MVP would make sense. How long has it been since his promo with Swagger? That was the last interesting thing I remember him doing.

Then again they don't always need an excuse like pot violations to cut the legs off someone, just look at Bourne. Unless he's one of the violators :tinfoil:

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Wasnt it umaga since he refused rehab

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

triplexpac posted:

Yeah MVP would make sense. How long has it been since his promo with Swagger? That was the last interesting thing I remember him doing.

Then again they don't always need an excuse like pot violations to cut the legs off someone, just look at Bourne. Unless he's one of the violators :tinfoil:

Not even that, how long has it been since his promo with Orton? Its speculation because of his massive de-push after he went through the losing streak. What has he done since moving over to Raw? Either that or creative really hosed up. I'd say the Miz too, but I can't help thinking that its just a storyline tactic than actual punishment.

The thing with Bourne can probably be blamed on Kendrick since there most likely was a planned program between the two.

Sionistic posted:

Wasnt it umaga since he refused rehab

That was Wellness related, not marijuana related. They wouldnt push rehab for a pot smoker.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Batmanuel posted:

Not even that, how long has it been since his promo with Orton? Its speculation because of his massive de-push after he went through the losing streak. What has he done since moving over to Raw? Either that or creative really hosed up. I'd say the Miz too, but I can't help thinking that its just a storyline tactic than actual punishment.

The thing with Bourne can probably be blamed on Kendrick since there most likely was a planned program between the two.

That was Wellness related, not marijuana related. They wouldnt push rehab for a pot smoker.

Marijuana is not a drug. I used to suck dick for coke. Now that's an addiction. You ever suck some dick for marijuana?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

JoeRules posted:

Marijuana is not a drug. I used to suck dick for coke. Now that's an addiction. You ever suck some dick for marijuana?

Stop bragging

Anyway content: What drugs that aren't roids do people think wrestlers have done? I think New Jack has done crack, Morrison has done LSD, Jeff has done crystal meth, and everyone in the 80s was on coke.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Batmanuel posted:

Speculation points to MVP.

MVP is a felon that probably has a parole officer or something that tests him for drugs.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Rusty Shackelford posted:

MVP is a felon that probably has a parole officer or something that tests him for drugs.

Yeah because hes been on observed parole for 9+ years.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

Yeah because hes been on observed parole for 9+ years.

Once you get that Malcolm X tattoo they just won't let you go.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Burrito posted:

Once you get that Malcolm X tattoo they just won't let you go.

I looked it up just to make sure and even if he was put on parole for the duration of his sentence which is unlikely in any case that would be almost 10 years ago by now. Theres no way that guy is still on parole.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Fallon posted:

Stop bragging

Anyway content: What drugs that aren't roids do people think wrestlers have done? I think New Jack has done crack, Morrison has done LSD, Jeff has done crystal meth, and everyone in the 80s was on coke.

Percosets, Somas, Oxycontin, and Vicodin are popular among wrestlers. Hell, I think Raven did all those simultaneously, plus he was a big X-head, too.

PlasticSpoon
Apr 2, 2004
When I was 12 watching Nitro, Ric Flair was delivering one of his great promos, bouncing off the ropes doing his strut, when he suddenly collapsed, and had a heart attack.

Was this a shoot brotha or did the man really have a heart attack live on TV.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Batmanuel posted:

Taker/HBK at Wrestlemania is the WWE style to a T. Minus the Sim Snuka camerman botch, of course.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

PlasticSpoon posted:

Was this a shoot brotha or did the man really have a heart attack live on TV.

This was a classic WCW IT'S A SHOOT BROTHER!

Even Flair's family, if memory serves, was told the heart attack was real, and the situation can be added to the numerous attempts of WCW higher-ups trying to work the boys/smarks for no discernible reason.

So, yeah, this was a classless, tasteless work.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

IT'S A SHOOT BROTHER!

Ok, so this is obviously a Hogan quote, but where exactly does this come from?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bradzilla posted:

Ok, so this is obviously a Hogan quote, but where exactly does this come from?
The first time I think he said it was when he was talking to Horace in WCW.

"What's your name?"
"Horace Boulder."
"No. Shoot with this thing, brother!"
"Horace... Hogan!" Which is hilarious considering Hogan is a worked last name.

After that, he kept saying "And that's a shoot, brother." for emphasis in promos.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

FishBulb posted:

I looked it up just to make sure and even if he was put on parole for the duration of his sentence which is unlikely in any case that would be almost 10 years ago by now. Theres no way that guy is still on parole.

Wikipedia says He later completed 9½ years of an 18½ year prison sentence for armed robbery and kidnapping which he started at the age of sixteen.

People are on parole for the rest of their sentence, usually. If that was the case, he would have gotten off of parole sometime this year and in that time, he would have had monthly meetings with a parole officer where he would have been subject to random drug tests.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Wikipedia says He later completed 9½ years of an 18½ year prison sentence for armed robbery and kidnapping which he started at the age of sixteen.

People are on parole for the rest of their sentence, usually. If that was the case, he would have gotten off of parole sometime this year and in that time, he would have had monthly meetings with a parole officer where he would have been subject to random drug tests.

I know how parole works, and hes clearly not on it any more regardless, and theres no way to know how long he was put on parole after he got out without knowing the specifics of his case, but he was traveling between states and sometimes over seas (although not as much as some of the other guys in the company) which is generally not something you do when you are on parole, I find it pretty unlikely hes been on parole for most of his WWE career. But we can't possibly know without asking him or finding his records, regardless hes definitely not any more.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Parole =/= probation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Timby posted:

Parole =/= probation.

He could have been on probation, and it could be summary probation instead of supervised, we really don't know anything without knowing his case. Either way, he wasn't necessarily being drug tested anyways, since its not automatic for every crime.

My point is saying 'MVP is a felon so hes getting drug tested all the time' is completely unfounded.