Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Nut Bunnies posted:

In the years since, many stories have surfaced which showed that to be true. Jericho's anecdotes in Undisputed were particularly notable to me, as they showed just how detached he was years before the murders even took place. William Regal's body language and reserved remarks on the tribute show demonstrate how those closest to him knew how capable he was of such a thing.

What were the things Jericho was talking about re: Benoit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Man that Benoit thing was so messed up. I watched his WWE Documentary literally a week or two before the murders and went away from it thinking "Gosh Benoit is a cool guy". Welp.

I was rewatching some Smackdown Six matches and god drat, Benoit really was an amazing wrestler.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I burned out on wrestling for a little over a year after that. My dad passed away on the same day (the 24th) so it really hosed me up.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
I'd not long since become a father, and it really turned me away from the WWE for a while, especially knowing a couple of kids who have Fragile X. On the bright side, it did make me look elsewhere and that's when I started watching CHIKARA, so there's always a silver lining... even in murder-suicides

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

apsouthern posted:

I'd not long since become a father, and it really turned me away from the WWE for a while, especially knowing a couple of kids who have Fragile X. On the bright side, it did make me look elsewhere and that's when I started watching CHIKARA, so there's always a silver lining... even in murder-suicides

Didn't it come out that Daniel didn't have that syndrome?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Also whenever people bring up that several wrestlers sort of saw this coming, I wonder why they apparently did jack poo poo about it. Spilling crumbs on Benoit's gym bag? You can't use the dressing room anymore. Abusive headcase? Welp.
I think this is entirely an issue of hindsight being 20/20. There's a huuuuuge gap (at least in one's perceptions) between murderer and general hardass. Especially in wrestling. And since the workers put their lives in each other's hands every night in the ring, I'm sure the trust that develops can overshadow a general weird vibe that a guy puts out.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Didn't it come out that Daniel didn't have that syndrome?

Yes. Jericho made statements in undisputed about how some of his greatest matches were with benoit and now its like they never happened.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

apsouthern posted:

The same thing happened to me. I was devastated by the whole thing, of course, and that was compounded by just about everyone I know calling me to ask for an explanation - I was the only wrestling fan in my friends group at the time, and no one in my family watches it either. I almost stopped watching it myself; it didn't feel right supporting a business that churned out so many hosed up, broken people and denied responsibility for them. But then CHIKARA pulled me back in because it was fun and clever and not as insulting/insecure as WWE programming, and it became my gateway into indy wrestling.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Minidust posted:

I think this is entirely an issue of hindsight being 20/20. There's a huuuuuge gap (at least in one's perceptions) between murderer and general hardass. Especially in wrestling. And since the workers put their lives in each other's hands every night in the ring, I'm sure the trust that develops can overshadow a general weird vibe that a guy puts out.

London and Kendrick said he was tri-polar, "a new kind of hosed up" and everyone knew it.

Benoit was a product of the wrestling industry. I'm not saying the wrestling industry turns everyone into Chris Benoit, but you'll always find a few people a little too obsessed with the profession they are in. Benoit was hosed up before he became a wrestler, hosed up becoming a wrestler, hosed up as a wrestler and died in a hosed up way. He's officially the worst case scenario of becoming a pro wrestler.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

triplexpac posted:

Man that Benoit thing was so messed up. I watched his WWE Documentary literally a week or two before the murders and went away from it thinking "Gosh Benoit is a cool guy". Welp.

I was rewatching some Smackdown Six matches and god drat, Benoit really was an amazing wrestler.

A friend of mine had loaned me the Benoit DVD that weekend. I watched it and I was going to buy it the next week. Then Monday night rolled around and all the DVDs were pulled off the shelves...

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Lone Rogue posted:

He's officially the worst case scenario of becoming a pro wrestler.

I dunno man at least Benoit made a shitload of money. Lots of wrestlers probably kill their families but they don't do it in suburban Atlanta mansions.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Karmine posted:

I dunno man at least Benoit made a shitload of money. Lots of wrestlers probably kill their families but they don't do it in suburban Atlanta mansions.

wait what

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Karmine posted:

They mostly just emotionally murder them. Like Necro and Jake and Hall.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Benoit is a fascinating (and depressing) case of chicken or the egg. Yes he was dangerously obsessed with wrestling, but his attitude was admired and encouraged by WWE - but can they be criticized for that when sporting and athletic organizations the world over have been ignorant of or ignored the dangers of concussions for decades until recently? Was it his stubborn obsession for perfection that caused him to get/work through all those concussions, or his working environment which admired tough guys who "fought through the pain"? Was he abusive and psychotic because of the concussions or did they just enhance a pre-existing mindset? What part if any did his prescription drug use play? What does that say about the use of prescription drugs in the industry or indeed in America in general?

It's a huge tangled knot of problems, and from a purely selfish and self-entitled point of view it is sad that it's almost impossible now to watch/enjoy some of the best wrestling matches of all time because of the questions it raises/uncomfortable feelings it causes.

His death may have ended up being a good thing because of the awareness it raised, but I'm sure that doesn't help he or Nancy's families sleep well at night.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
Is there any place I can get a simple breakdown of matches/winners and losers for the past few weeks? I just want to look at the direction of some people going into this sunday.

Horse Pro
Mar 25, 2007

Social Activist, Philanthropist, Youtube Extraordinaire
Back in 1998, Terry Funk was tagging with Foley as Chainsaw Charlie. Did they ever give an explanation as to why he WAS Chainsaw Charlie? I mean, they were pretty upfront about it being Terry Funk, and I've never seen an explanation other than "Terry just decided to be Chainsaw Charlie and we didn't question him."

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Down Right Fierce posted:

Is there any place I can get a simple breakdown of matches/winners and losers for the past few weeks? I just want to look at the direction of some people going into this sunday.

http://www.profightdb.com is good for all your wrestlesperg needs.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Horse Pro posted:

Back in 1998, Terry Funk was tagging with Foley as Chainsaw Charlie. Did they ever give an explanation as to why he WAS Chainsaw Charlie? I mean, they were pretty upfront about it being Terry Funk, and I've never seen an explanation other than "Terry just decided to be Chainsaw Charlie and we didn't question him."

That poo poo made zero sense.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Horse Pro posted:

"The guy is old and crazy, leave it be"

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Horse Pro posted:

IIRC the idea was just presented and they went with it. No explanation whatsoever.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Horse Pro posted:

Terry Funk gives no shits.

From his autobiography:

quote:

"Do you want to come out as anything?"

Before my brain could fully process the question my lips blurted out "Chainsaw Charlie! Get me a chainsaw so I can go out there!"

Old and Crazy is always the answer for anything Terry Funk does.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Karmine posted:

Look, it's not like Snuka put a ring on it...

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Horse Pro posted:

Googling this also led to the amazing discovery that Chainsaw Charlie was the name of the sleazy manager on the bodacious W.A.S.P. concept album about fame, "The Crimson Idol." I hope the two are related.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I like to imagine it was some kind of Raising Arizona reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3-Y6UdDNWU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Horse Pro posted:

they wanted the rights to terry funk's trademark and character, he said no, they said find a gimmick, we got chainsaw charlie.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

BAN DICKEYE posted:

they wanted the rights to terry funk's trademark and character, he said no, they said find a gimmick, we got chainsaw charlie.

What character? The man is literally a crazy man who's given name is Terry Funk. I don't think WWF would be able to copyright it. His character is just himself.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I purchased WWE 12 and I wanted to know what songs you guys thought I should download for my CAWs or to replace the wrestlers entrance music.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Have any Divas been Wellnessed?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Writer Cath posted:

Have any Divas been Wellnessed?

Nope.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Nope.

Wow. That seems rather unusual.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

If any diva would actually take a steroid, if they also take birth control pills I'm pretty sure it would mask it. It's why Manny Ramirez was suspended from baseball (they found estrogen, not testosterone). I know he wasn't taking BC pills, but was the same principle. Or something.

As for my question, has any every used a gun as a prop, and used in a threatening manner? Other than Austin's fake one with the bang flag of course?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Writer Cath posted:

Wow. That seems rather unusual.

Ladies in WWE don't have to look like musclebound meatheads or really work through the kind of pain/injuries that the guys do, generally. So there's not a ton of reasons to abuse steroids and painkillers.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

As for my question, has any every used a gun as a prop, and used in a threatening manner? Other than Austin's fake one with the bang flag of course?

The Pillman/Austin gun thing springs to mind.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

flashy_mcflash posted:

Ladies in WWE don't have to look like musclebound meatheads or really work through the kind of pain/injuries that the guys do, generally. So there's not a ton of reasons to abuse steroids and painkillers.

Yes, but there's a tremendous amount of pressure on them to maintain a certain level of physical fitness. While Divas aren't exactly musclebound, they are in tremendous shape and that can't be easy to maintain on the road.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Writer Cath posted:

Yes, but there's a tremendous amount of pressure on them to maintain a certain level of physical fitness. While Divas aren't exactly musclebound, they are in tremendous shape and that can't be easy to maintain on the road.
Going by Punk's twitter, he's in a gym pretty much everyday no matter what city he's in. I'm sure the divas can get to them too.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Is my memory deceiving me or was there an Over The Top Off With Her Top battle royale once in WWE. I remember the name but not the circumstances...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

reality_groove posted:

Is my memory deceiving me or was there an Over The Top Off With Her Top battle royale once in WWE. I remember the name but not the circumstances...

It sounds like :russo:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Writer Cath posted:

Sure yeah, but you don't need steroids for the kind of work that a WWE Diva does. Normal exercise would do that, and the side effects of steroids would be a liability for a Diva rather than an advantage, because Vince doesn't want to see a bunch of muscley ladies with bacne.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Sure yeah, but you don't need steroids for the kind of work that a WWE Diva does. Normal exercise would do that, and the side effects of steroids would be a liability for a Diva rather than an advantage, because Vince doesn't want to see a bunch of muscley ladies with bacne.

Or risk another Chyna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

reality_groove posted:

You might be thinking of this "Over the rope, off with her top" match between Jerry Lawler (with Kat) and Dean Malenko (with Terri)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9giqAJpeK1I