Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Grandpa Pap posted:

Yeah, on reflection and after a bit of research (beyond my memories and perceptions growing up, and never being able to watch AWA on TV as a kid), I realize I was a bit hasty in my rush to be humorous/sarky in my original reply, for which I apologize.

I'll concede that Verne was a star (in his day) and the AWA was a big deal (in its' day, and in its' regular territories). Verne was just a guy that couldn't change with the times when the WWF became popular and people wanted a different style of wrestling, but that could be said of a lot of people in wrestling then and now.

As penance, I'll force myself to finish watching that Verne/Giant Baba match I started watching one night a while back but just couldn't get into. :sweatdrop:

In an alternate universe Verne decides to put Hogan over Bockwinkel in the title match and Vince goes bankrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...

Saints Crow posted:

Also, it's weird watching the WWE's WCCW documentary and hearing Kevin defend Fritz a lot even though he seems disappointed in him, and reading about the non WWE doc where he talks about Fritz threatening him with a gun etc. But then again that was probably made around when the Von Erich's were being inducted so they kept it less depressing.

What's the name of the non-WWE documentary on World Class, and is it available on netflix or anything like that?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Frot Lesnar posted:

In an alternate universe Verne decides to put Hogan over Bockwinkel in the title match and Vince goes bankrupt.

He totally could have made Paul Orndorff his ace! Truly truly!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Giant Squid posted:

What's the name of the non-WWE documentary on World Class, and is it available on netflix or anything like that?

http://www.amazon.com/Heroes-World-Class-Wrestling-Directors/dp/B000I2JDD0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1339295932&sr=8-3 oughta be it.

Edit: What's the best Stone Cold match of all time? Vs Benoit on Smackdown?

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 10, 2012

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

rotinaj posted:

That's probably one. I'd also say v. Bret at WrestleMania XIII, v. Rock at WrestleMania X-Seven and v. Angle at Unforgiven 2001.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'd definitely say the Wrestlemania 13 match against Hart. It's one of my favorite matches of all time and part of what made me a fan.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
If Owen hadn't done the sit-out piledriver, Austin woulda probably had a much longer career, huh? :(

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

rotinaj posted:

If Owen hadn't done the sit-out piledriver, Austin woulda probably had a much longer career, huh? :(

Hard to tell. Because of the neck injury, Austin had to work a more brawling oriented style, with less "flashy" moves to preserve his neck. That may have allowed him to work as long as he did, compared to a hypothetical non-broken neck Austin.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Timby posted:

That's probably one. I'd also say v. Bret at WrestleMania XIII, v. Rock at WrestleMania X-Seven and v. Angle at Unforgiven 2001.

huh?

Anyway, v. Bret at Mania 13 is definitely his best. I'd put v. Rock at 17, v. HHH at No Way Out 2001, and w/HHH v. Benoit/Jericho on Raw really close. Then you go into matches that are almost perfect but off like v. Bret at SS 96, the five on five at Canadian Stampede, the Smackdown Benoit match, v. Foley at Over the Edge 98, and v. Angle at SummerSlam 2001 (the much better Angle match). There's plenty of other stuff too, including the five star WarGames match, but for core top tier Austin matches that's generally what I think of.

El Duke Silver fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 10, 2012

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

rotinaj posted:

Stone Cold vs. Bret at WrestleMania 13 is one of my favorites of all time and the popular choice. Their match at Survivor Series 1996 is also very good and rarely gets mentioned. Tag title match with Triple H vs. Jericho & Benoit from RAW of May 2001 is fantastic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bearnt! posted:

Stone Cold vs. Bret at WrestleMania 13 is one of my favorites of all time and the popular choice. Their match at Survivor Series 1996 is also very good and rarely gets mentioned. Tag title match with Triple H vs. Jericho & Benoit from RAW of May 2001 is fantastic.

I think Austin has said the Survivor Series match is his favorite match. I might be misremembering though.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
A few years ago WWE decided to have their own message board for about 3 days until it was taken over by gimmick accounts and Benoit avatars. Does anyone remember when this was and if there is a thread about it in archives?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Frot Lesnar posted:

A few years ago WWE decided to have their own message board for about 3 days until it was taken over by gimmick accounts and Benoit avatars. Does anyone remember when this was and if there is a thread about it in archives?

I remember this day. That was absolutely hilarious.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

More recently they had a place to submit your photos from the live shows.

It was quickly overrun with Benoit and naked Chyna.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

You'd think they'd have the foresight to make images need approval before being submitted.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Frot Lesnar posted:

The WWE universe forums? That actually lasted for I believe a year.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America

rotinaj posted:

How long do you think that character could go on until it got stale? I thought it flatlined when he was the doing the co-GM of Raw with Bischoff in 03.

I'm sure someone has answered this before, and I'm also pretty sure the answer is pretty obvious but why was Rock given the Hogan match at WM X8 over Austin? I know about the tension between Hogan and Austin, so was that idea pretty much shot down before even being tossed around?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

It was pretty much entirely because Hogan and Austin didn't get along and Hogan refused to put him over. Austin was really pissed about that and being stuck on the undercard in a match against Scott Hall.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cardboard Box posted:

It was pretty much entirely because Hogan and Austin didn't get along and Hogan refused to put him over. Austin was really pissed about that and being stuck on the undercard in a match against Scott Hall.
Hogan didn't refuse to put anyone over at that time. He was willing to do the job for Austin, actually, but Austin had no interest in making Hogan money as Hogan hosed him out of his push in WCW.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Cardboard Box posted:

I've been watching some old Scott Hall matches from his time in the AWA, and holy poo poo, if he hadn't been a drugged out mess, I think he could have been one of the best ever.

Then again, I also think Vince missed the boat on Raven, so take any opinion I have with a salt shaker.

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

thesteelhellion posted:

Then again, I also think Vince missed the boat on Raven, so take any opinion I have with a salt shaker.

Raven is awesome and has a great mind for the business. He should be an agent with WWE... plus they don't drug test agents!

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

Austin was really pissed about that and being stuck on the undercard in a match against Scott Hall.

On the other hand, it led to the greatest Stunner of all time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sexy_trash posted:

Raven is awesome and has a great mind for the business. He should be an agent with WWE... plus they don't drug test agents!

That will never happen since he gave Shane drugs and got him laid. WHO THE gently caress HIRED RAVEN?!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
And he, Konnan and some other dude sued on worker's rights issues and got thrown out of court.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
^^^ Probably Sonny Onoo.

LividLiquid posted:

Hogan didn't refuse to put anyone over at that time. He was willing to do the job for Austin, actually, but Austin had no interest in making Hogan money as Hogan hosed him out of his push in WCW.

Is this like how he was willing to do the job for Shawn Michaels?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Bah, there's so many stories of Hogan refuses to put people over that I get them mixed up.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

Bah, there's so many stories of Hogan refuses to put people over that I get them mixed up.

He'd have jobbed to Austin the same way he jobbed to Warrior and The Rock. Lose the match but make sure that there's something big after it that takes focus away from his loss as well as acting like a face and encouraging the fans to cheer him and turn on Austin.

Hogan doesn't let anyone else look like the star of the night. Ever.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Perdido posted:

^^^ Probably Sonny Onoo.

Is this like how he was willing to do the job for Shawn Michaels?
That's a bad comparison.

2002-2003 Hogan was by all accounts completely reasonable and willing to go along with anything.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Gonzo McFee posted:

He'd have jobbed to Austin the same way he jobbed to Warrior and The Rock. Lose the match but make sure that there's something big after it that takes focus away from his loss as well as acting like a face and encouraging the fans to cheer him and turn on Austin.

Hogan doesn't let anyone else look like the star of the night. Ever.

yeah, I think Austin's words about it were that if he would have had the match with Hogan, the match would have been about no one but Hogan, no matter who won, so he wouldn't do it. I think he told Shawn this as well when Shawn was in talks to do the Hogan match.

Also, as far as Austin's favorite match, I've heard him say both Bret matches, as well as the three stages of Hell match with HHH, were his favorites at different points, so who knows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sexy_trash posted:

Raven always says how he has a great mind for the business but to paraphrase Bryan Alavarez "I always hear what a psychology genius Raven is, then I see his matches and they are a bunch of boring crowd brawling with no psychology."

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Matches-wise, Raven seems like a pretty standard old school guy. He does basic stuff that makes sense so some guys can have a series of matches. I think he's brilliant with character psychology, because he knows all these little details to put in that make a character seem real and noticeable.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America
the last two twitter/facebook pictures ive seen of The Rock are him wearing Alistair Overeem's walkout shirt from UFC 141. The night he beat Brock Lesnar and retired him from the UFC.

I was thinking this could be a potential planting of the seeds for something big next year at WM, but Rock said something about it's going to be tough to be a major attraction at Mania since GI Joe 2 got pushed back to that weekend.

Oh well. thanks for the Austin/Hogan info. You really think Hogan wanted a face turn to overshadow losing to The Rock? He was INSANELY over the minute the nWo came back...i don't think he needed that. The roof almost came off the Skydome during his entrance.

Buff Tannen fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 11, 2012

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRayPer posted:

Raven always says how he has a great mind for the business but to paraphrase Bryan Alavarez "I always hear what a psychology genius Raven is, then I see his matches and they are a bunch of boring crowd brawling with no psychology."

His Se7en rip-off idea sounded really loving awful too, and whichever McMahon it was who turned it down was absolutely in the right.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Except that it was originally approved by Vince and Stephanie (who talked vince out of it with Brian Gerwitz's help) said her only problem with it was "There was nowehere to go with the story afterwards", which is kinda silly considering how they book.

Also, Raven has said that he hates booking anybody but his own stuff because of all the drama and bullshit that comes with it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

sexy_trash posted:

I don't think WWE would hire since he tried suing them.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't think WWE would hire since he tried suing them.

Jesse Ventura and Jerry Lawler have sued the WWE and won.

The WWE will take anyone back. There's no such thing as a completely burned bridge. I'm sure if Chris Benoit found his way back to the land of the living, Vince would consider his options.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

Jesse Ventura and Jerry Lawler have sued the WWE and won.

The WWE will take anyone back. There's no such thing as a completely burned bridge. I'm sure if Chris Benoit found his way back to the land of the living, Vince would consider his options.

Yes but that would require Raven to become famous like Venture and be worth as much as Lawler to the WWE.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes but that would require Raven to become famous like Venture and be worth as much as Lawler to the WWE.

He did introduce Shane McMahon to cocaine so that has to count for something.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Are the current writers on the WWE creative team listed anywhere, either by WWE or independently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

He did introduce Shane McMahon to cocaine so that has to count for something.

That is one of the reasons he hates him so much.