Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
It's probably been covered, but is there some reasons ADR's theme is the exact same theme Tito Santana used?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EL7CbabY0Y4#t=815s

Was this a one time thing, or was this Tito's theme, or what's the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They only used entrance themes for the first two guys in the Rumble back then. The rest were added to that video by whoever uploaded it to YouTube. I don't think Tito ever actually used that music.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 12, 2013

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

cucka posted:

It's probably been covered, but is there some reasons ADR's theme is the exact same theme Tito Santana used?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EL7CbabY0Y4#t=815s

Was this a one time thing, or was this Tito's theme, or what's the deal.

From the video's description: "Re-live the greatest royal rumble ever, now with added entrance music! It gives an altogether different yet unique experience!"

He made some poor choices, too. The Barbarian's entrance sounds quite tropical.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I lost it at the Warlord coming out to Triple H's music.

Barbarian was a Headshrinker at one point, so him coming out the generic Samoan music isn't a terrible choice.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

An Actual Bear posted:

Maffew uploaded a video of Paul London at a WCW PPV in late 2000 - early 2001. If I remember rightly he yells at Scott Steiner, I'm surprised he wasn't killed.

He did get hit because he was being used as a plant.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Were there any female WWE title champs? Have all of the female wrestlers been relegated to Divas except for Kharma and Chyna? It seems like in the 21st century it would be a good business move to have a strong woman champ.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Himuro posted:

Were there any female WWE title champs? Have all of the female wrestlers been relegated to Divas except for Kharma and Chyna? It seems like in the 21st century it would be a good business move to have a strong woman champ.

Chyna got the closest when she became the #1 contender for the championship in August 1999.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Diabolik900 posted:

They only used entrance themes for the first two guys in the Rumble back then. The rest were added to that video by whoever uploaded it to YouTube. I don't think Tito ever actually used that music.

This was because it was explicitly for ADR, but on Old School RAW, Tito came out to that theme to guest announce ADR for his match.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Chyna did hold the Intercontinental title too

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Timby posted:

Chyna got the closest when she became the #1 contender for the championship in August 1999.

She never held the WWF championship, but she did win the IC title off of Jarrett when he left for WCW. I believe She's the only woman to hold a title in a men's division.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Technically Medusa was in the WCW Title tournament (twice!) and won a first round match by DQ, but she was treated as a complete joke and openly mocked by commentators for being a woman competing with the men.

Hamass
Jul 20, 2008

I said I didn't like this guy on another IWC board and they went apeshit on me.

What are your thoughts /wooo/?

Himuro posted:

Yeah, but in the era of PG television, the whole "man hitting a woman", even if the woman is booked as the man's equal, would still raise bad press because of domestic abuse.

Look how Kharma was handled at last year's Rumble. Comes in, scares Michael Cole (even though Booker & Lawler technically eliminated him), Dolph gets in her face but DOESN'T hit her, she gives Dolph an ImplantBuster, throws Hunico over the top rope and then is thrown over by Dolph after Vickie distracts her. Kharma was never actually physically assaulted by a man.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Great White Hope posted:

Technically Medusa was in the WCW Title tournament (twice!) and won a first round match by DQ, but she was treated as a complete joke and openly mocked by commentators for being a woman competing with the men.
Russo. :facepalm:

Does anybody remember, during the Russo era, Mike Tenay having a misogynist gimmick where he'd do backstage interviews and say horrible poo poo to women?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
If you go outside of WWE Rachel Summerlyn currently holds the top belt for Anarchy Championship Wrestling.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Russo. :facepalm:

Does anybody remember, during the Russo era, Mike Tenay having a misogynist gimmick where he'd do backstage interviews and say horrible poo poo to women?

During a Russo run everyone has that gimmick.

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's impossible to take inter-gender wrestling seriously, and giving men's belts to women will always be a bad idea.

Not that women can't have spectacular pro-wrestling matches, the Joshi wrestling scene in the 90's was artistically good. Men/women wrestling matches are either too goofy to see as a serious fight, or too creepy to watch without scrubbing you're skin off Fight Club style.

It's also a stupid idea to give men women's titles a la Russo. It buries the guy by making him look like someone who can only beat women, and buries every woman in the company simultaneously by affirmatively stating they're all beneath a man who's treated like a joke anyway.

In other words, Vince Russo should have his fingers and tongue tossed into a sewage refinery to keep his awful ideas from poisoning the thought-stream any further.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Devil Child posted:

It's impossible to take inter-gender wrestling seriously, and giving men's belts to women will always be a bad idea.

It's becoming a lot more common and if it's done fine nobody really seems to have a problem with it nor is it generally creepy. If you present it as A Thing and give no creepy undertones to it or anything people tend to not have a problem with it; I know this is probably going to be like hitting the Shaman Signal but Chikara seems to do a good job of it because it's not presented as Man vs. Woman but Wrestler vs. Wrestler both of who just happen to be opposite genders. Nobody had their heat killed or were thought of as a joke because they lost to Sara Del Rey. Senjo's opponents in KoT this year weren't seen as being reduced to inferior jokes because they other got beaten or wound up being taken to the limit by them.

If it's just presented as a normal deal then eventually people are going to think of it as normal. If you present it as "this guy is losing to a WOMAN and therefore inferior" or with fetishistic undertones then again people will take that away from it. It's all in the presentation.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Suben posted:

It's becoming a lot more common and if it's done fine nobody really seems to have a problem with it nor is it generally creepy. If you present it as A Thing and give no creepy undertones to it or anything people tend to not have a problem with it; I know this is probably going to be like hitting the Shaman Signal but Chikara seems to do a good job of it because it's not presented as Man vs. Woman but Wrestler vs. Wrestler both of who just happen to be opposite genders. Nobody had their heat killed or were thought of as a joke because they lost to Sara Del Rey. Senjo's opponents in KoT this year weren't seen as being reduced to inferior jokes because they other got beaten or wound up being taken to the limit by them.

If it's just presented as a normal deal then eventually people are going to think of it as normal. If you present it as "this guy is losing to a WOMAN and therefore inferior" or with fetishistic undertones then again people will take that away from it. It's all in the presentation.

It really isn't becoming more common, it's probably a lot less common than it was during say, the Monday Night wars when inter-gender matches were pretty common on TV, because Vince Russo or ECW.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, it's all about presentation.

I mean, BJW done a load of man vs woman deathmatches a while back, and no-one even batted an eye, because they just ran it like a regular match, just...with women.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

It really isn't becoming more common, it's probably a lot less common than it was during say, the Monday Night wars when inter-gender matches were pretty common on TV, because Vince Russo or ECW.

Common probably isn't the right word then, I dunno, but at least in the last couple of years it seems to be being done less in the way it used to be back in that era. I don't think you really would've gotten a man vs. woman match that was presented as anything other than comedy or fetish stuff as compared to now where it seems like if it happens (at least here; Japan is Japan) there seems to be an attempt to make it more of a legit thing that's just as much a part of a card as any other match on the card.

I know one of the reasons Chikara was able to get Toyota the first time was because she had wanted to wrestle men which was something she hadn't really had the chance to do in Japan up to that point.

Suben fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 13, 2013

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Devil Child posted:

It's also a stupid idea to give men women's titles a la Russo.

:colbert:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, it's all about presentation.

I mean, BJW done a load of man vs woman deathmatches a while back, and no-one even batted an eye, because they just ran it like a regular match, just...with women.

Satoshi Kojima had an intergender match with someone a few years ago (can't remember who.) That was worked like a typical match as well.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Kaufman is one of those really rare exceptions, and he ultimately got his just desserts from Lawler.
For it to be a Russo move is if he got away with it in the end.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Satoshi Kojima had an intergender match with someone a few years ago (can't remember who.) That was worked like a typical match as well.

Misae Genki, one of her last matches actually (since Kojima was her idol). It's a pretty awesome match too where she's clearly the underdog but gives Kojima everything she has so even when she's got him on the ropes it makes her look great while not making him look weak in the slightest.

Edit: gently caress it, here it is.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Suben fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 13, 2013

ChaosSmurf
Dec 26, 2011
Didn't Lita and Trish Stratus both have shots at/runs with/something to do with non-Women's belts at some stage?

Also three or four women had the hardcore belt at various stages. I believe Chyna holds it currently?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I was just remembering Ryuji Ito and Yuki Miyzaki vs 045 Junkies. It's actually a crazy match, and Miyzaki seems to go out of her way to just kill the gently caress out of Jun Kasai.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

ChaosSmurf posted:

Didn't Lita and Trish Stratus both have shots at/runs with/something to do with non-Women's belts at some stage?

Also three or four women had the hardcore belt at various stages. I believe Chyna holds it currently?

Pretty sure Lita and Trish never challenged for any men's titles. They did wrestle Christian and Jericho once in 2003, and Lita had a match with Dean Malenko in 2001. Also they had a main event match on Raw for the Women's title in 04, and Lita had a SD main event match vs Stephanie in 2000.

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Aku posted:

Kaufman is one of those really rare exceptions, and he ultimately got his just desserts from Lawler.
For it to be a Russo move is if he got away with it in the end.

Plus, Kaufman was doing it as a joke to get over as a heel, like when the Million Dollar Man played basketball with those little kids.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Great White Hope posted:

As punishment for complaining that women's wrestling was a joke she was entered in that tournament to face Meng and Benoit. She was rescued by Evan Karagias and become his girlfriend but it turns out she was just using him to win his cruiserweight title. Her title defenses included making out with her opponent while their shoulders were on the mat and burying their heads in her breasts to hypnotise them. She then lost the belt to Oklahoma.

:allears:

Jesus H. Christ
Aug 3, 2004

$ $ $Everybody's got a price$ $ $
So what exactly happened with the Cena Lesnar faceoff? I know the general story of the post-Extreme Rules promo from Cena, but was Lesnar just told to be as stiff as he wanted? It looked like he busted him open hardline at the promo on Raw and in the match.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think it was more Lesnar was probably amped-up and hadn't wrestled in years so maybe he had some mma instincts kick in. Or he was cleared to fight more "real" and sometimes guys bleed when you drive an elbow into their face at close range.

Also, he was bringing back legitimacy.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I think the plan from the get-go was to bust Cena open hard way right after the opening bell. After that initial exchange he wasn't near as stiff. It was an awesome moment in an awesome match like nothing we'd ever seen before.

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.
I was just thinking for some reason that while in Japan, Hulk Hogan used the Axe Bomber (Lariat) as a finisher instead of his legdrop, even after he was a megastar.

I was wondering if there was anyone else who used different finishers in different parts of the world.

Foley used the Double Arm DDT while in Japan but I think that was more of a Cactus Jack thing. Jericho might have used something different before he started using the Lion Tamer.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Big Poppa posted:

I was just thinking for some reason that while in Japan, Hulk Hogan used the Axe Bomber (Lariat) as a finisher instead of his legdrop, even after he was a megastar.

He legit KO'd Inoki with the Axe Bomber, which pretty much made it a finisher forever over there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So any move can be a finisher if you botch badly enough?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

More to do with it being Inoki, who never lost at that time.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 13, 2013

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I was watching some old Rumble interviews from around '91/'92 and a lot of the wrestlers referred to the Rumble happening "this afternoon" rather than "tonight". Were events held earlier in the day back then?

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
I don't remember if it was every PPV or just certain ones, but they would often start at 4pm eastern. There were also PPVs on other days besides Sunday; Summerslam was on Mondays and the Survivor Series was either Wednesday or Thursday.

Edit - Now that I think about it, maybe it was just the Rumble and Wrestlemania that would start in the afternoon since they were on weekends.

Carlton Banks fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 13, 2013

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I remember when I was a kid they'd make wrestlers have scripted vignettes that go further into their characters that would play before they came out. Like they'd have Razor Ramon at a country club getting his swag on. It'd tell us what he was about and give the show life outside of the actual company.

The thing is they still do this but it is exclusive on the site or on the WWE app. We saw that baller Cesaro thing in Georgia the other day. Heck on Smack down the other day they had Cesaro do a picture in picture promo with him giving a recorded mini promo while he was getting in the ring. They need to have every wrestler do this.

I remember back in the day they'd have every worker do this. It gives every performer a backstory and more of an outlet to build feuds and develop characters. It gives me a reason to give a poo poo. Like this Kaitlyn and Eve feud. I have no reason to care about this feud because I don't even know who Kaitlyn is or what she represents. She's just a shmook who comes from the back to me.

Far more interesting way to develop characters than simple in ring promos or interviews and far more preferable to all crappy drama poo poo they have going on now.

Punk blasting the Rock from Miami U was a step in the right direction. Did they stop doing this for budget reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Himuro posted:

I remember when I was a kid they'd make wrestlers have scripted vignettes that go further into their characters that would play before they came out. Like they'd have Razor Ramon at a country club getting his swag on. It'd tell us what he was about and give the show life outside of the actual company.

The thing is they still do this but it is exclusive on the site or on the WWE app. We saw that baller Cesaro thing in Georgia the other day. Heck on Smack down the other day they had Cesaro do a picture in picture promo with him giving a recorded mini promo while he was getting in the ring. They need to have every wrestler do this.

I remember back in the day they'd have every worker do this. It gives every performer a backstory and more of an outlet to build feuds and develop characters. It gives me a reason to give a poo poo. Like this Kaitlyn and Eve feud. I have no reason to care about this feud because I don't even know who Kaitlyn is or what she represents. She's just a shmook who comes from the back to me.

Far more interesting way to develop characters than simple in ring promos or interviews and far more preferable to all crappy drama poo poo they have going on now.

Punk blasting the Rock from Miami U was a step in the right direction. Did they stop doing this for budget reasons?

I remember them doing this with the Highlanders, Cryme Tyme, Carlito and a few others.