Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DeathChicken posted:

I'll hear no Hercules bashing. Power and Glory was the poo poo. Made Paul Roma entertaining, of all people, and that's nutty.

I'm watching through OSWReview episodes, and I'm amazed how entertaining Power and Glory were. They had a bloody good match with The Rockers at Summerslam 1990.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VogeGandire posted:

I'm watching through OSWReview episodes, and I'm amazed how entertaining Power and Glory were. They had a bloody good match with The Rockers at Summerslam 1990.

Where are these? All the copies on the Botchamania site are dead. :(

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Where are these? All the copies on the Botchamania site are dead. :(

All the old episodes that got killed by them being kicked off Blip.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cheers, thanks. :)

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm betting you could get similar results from analyzing other numbers.

Ok, I'll bite. Let's look at #11 for no reason.

1988 - Don Muraco: Happily retired.

1989 - Honky Tonk Man: Held IC Title forever, makes the odd nostalgia appearance.

1990 - Andre: :smith:

1991 - Tito Santana: Happily retired, last I heard he was a teacher.

1992 - Greg Valentine: Still wrestles, has looked 100 years old since about 1973.

1993 - Skinner: Trainer at FCW.

1994 - Randy Savage: :smith:

1995 - Owen Hart: :smith:

1996 - Takao Omori: Still wrestles.

1997 - Mil Mascaras: Still wrestles, JBL hates him.

1998 - D'Lo Brown: Road agent in TNA, is very fat.

1999 - Mabel: Wrestling in Japan, is even fatter.

2000 - British Bulldog: :smith:

2001 - Grand Master Sexay: Still wrestles, appeared on RAW recently and got tired doing his wacky dance to no reaction.

2002 - Maven: Eliminated Undertaker, got released, got on pills.

2003 - B-2: He was a guy who wrestled. Also appeared on RAW recently. Didn't dance or get tired.

2004 - Booker T: Doing just fine.

2005 - Chris Jericho: Also doing fine, arguably the best example of a guy who isn't married to the business.

2006 - Carlito: Had potential, got lazy, failed wellness and released, does indies.

2007 - CM Punk: He did ok I guess.

2008 - Jamie Noble: Retired fairly early, think he's still a road agent.

2009 - Chris Jericho: See 2005.

2010 - John Morrison: Won midcard belts, was popular, got released. Is likely back one day.

2011 - Mark Henry: Would have his best year ever the year after this.

2012 - Kofi Kingston: Had a great spot, doing fine.

2013 - Sheamus: :fella:

Pretty lucky number all in all, no winners but very few tragedies either.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

An Actual Bear posted:

Ok, I'll bite. Let's look at #11 for no reason.

1991 - Tito Santana: Happily retired, last I heard he was a teacher.

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=93&page=20

Tito's kept pretty busy in various indies for a guy older than my parents. He had a surprise appearance at Chikara's King of Trios last year.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

An Actual Bear posted:

2003 - B-2: He was a guy who wrestled. Also appeared on RAW recently. Didn't dance or get tired.

He did? Was this for the 'This is Your Life' for Cena where Bull just threw a tantrum?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

I'll hear no Hercules bashing. Power and Glory was the poo poo. Made Paul Roma entertaining, of all people, and that's nutty.

Also I believe there's a pretty good story about Hercules open-handed slapping the poo poo out of some fan that interfered. The guy got brought backstage and Herc nailed him. Can't remember who's shoot interview I heard that in...

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Okay since he never comes up, was there a spot where Hercules and Ultimate Warrior played tug-of-war with Hercs chain and the chain broke? Or was this one of those playground lies I made up and told when I was a kid.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

nasboat posted:

Also I believe there's a pretty good story about Hercules open-handed slapping the poo poo out of some fan that interfered. The guy got brought backstage and Herc nailed him. Can't remember who's shoot interview I heard that in...

One of Jim Cornette's, don't remember which but it was a pretty hilarious story. Might have been his YouShoot?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

An Actual Bear posted:

One of Jim Cornette's, don't remember which but it was a pretty hilarious story. Might have been his YouShoot?

Yeah it was his YouShoot. The guy tried to tackle Hercules during his entrance and they brought him backstage to detain him. Herc walked back through the curtain after his match and slapped the guy so hard he flew backwards into the wall and dropped like a sack of poo poo, totally knocked out. Cornette said he was surprised it was just a slap and Herc said "Jim, if you punch someone you could really hurt them!" and then stepped over the unconscious guy.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Has there ever been a really good heel vs. heel program? Face vs. face can and has worked in the past, but it seems like it'd be hard to pull off the opposite situation since who does the audience root for. But, hey, anything's possible, so has anybody ever made it work?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The first Tyler Black/Nigel McGuinness was a very good heel vs heel matchup, but in terms of feuds, can't think of any.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

Okay since he never comes up, was there a spot where Hercules and Ultimate Warrior played tug-of-war with Hercs chain and the chain broke? Or was this one of those playground lies I made up and told when I was a kid.

If that didn't happen we should revise history and say that it did.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

A friend of mine asked me if it's true that no one ever broke Hitman's Sharpshooter and I said I don't know and now I'm asking you guys.

Vaiyne
Sep 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NluWxnvBJRI

I'm sure others have broken it too, but this was the first thing to pop up on Youtube for me.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Maxwell Lord posted:

Has there ever been a really good heel vs. heel program? Face vs. face can and has worked in the past, but it seems like it'd be hard to pull off the opposite situation since who does the audience root for. But, hey, anything's possible, so has anybody ever made it work?

There was a point where both Edge and Chris Jericho were working heel and had a few matches. Including one where they traded foot-on-rope-for-leverage spots.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

EDIT: oops, wrong thread somehow!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

This definitely happened. Probably right around the time I started watching, so 1988 or so. I want to say I saw a pic of it in either WWF Magazine or PWI or something.

e:

quote:

Ultimate Warrior VS Hercules - Salisbury, MD - January 27, 1988 (WWF Wrestling Challenge - Aired: February 7, 1988)
Warrior and Hercules have a tug-o-war with Herc's chain. Once they're done, Warrior yanks the chain and snaps it in half
No match took place as a jealous Hercules chokes out the Warrior with the chain. A few jobbers (including WWF Faithful Steve Lombardi) come from the back to peel Hercules off of the Warrior

http://members.shaw.ca/wrestling-brent/UltimateWarriorStory.htm

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

I enjoyed the Shawn/Martel feud when I was younger. I honestly haven't seen that stuff since, so I have no idea if the match(es) were awesome or dogshit.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
edit: wrong thread

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I don't remember it leading to an actual match (and if it did, it probably wasn't any good), but the Ernest Miller/Scott Norton feud was pretty amusing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It led to a match, and the chatroom I was in at the time had a moment of silence for Miller's nipples because Norton killed them with chops.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Has Vincent Kennedy McMahon ever been asked point-blank or talked about the subject of unions in wrestling and why he doesn't allow them? We know WHY he doesn't allow them but I can't imagine him answering that question in an interview as coming off as anything but a liar or a greedy selfish person when every other type of athlete is part of a union.

e: please dont post pictures of THE UNION.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Unions extort extra pay out of employers, force workers to join them and pay wages, and are inherently corrupt. Look at teachers striking leaving children without school. And athletes? You mean those unions who drive players' salaries to ridiculous numbers and then force strikes to get even more? Wrestlers have a right to work without unions. Also they're independent contractors so you're barking up the wrong tree."

I doubt Vince would have to work very hard to come up with an argument against unions. There's tons of politicians and businessmen who beat him to the punch.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

"Unions extort extra pay out of employers, force workers to join them and pay wages, and are inherently corrupt. Look at teachers striking leaving children without school. And athletes? You mean those unions who drive players' salaries to ridiculous numbers and then force strikes to get even more? Wrestlers have a right to work without unions. Also they're independent contractors so you're barking up the wrong tree."

I doubt Vince would have to work very hard to come up with an argument against unions. There's tons of politicians and businessmen who beat him to the punch.

You're lucky you put that in quotation marks or I would come down your internet and sing The Internationale at you till your ears bleed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gonzo McFee posted:

You're lucky you put that in quotation marks or I would come down your internet and sing The InternationaleWhich Side Are You On at you till your ears bleed.
Preferable the Dropkick Murphy's version.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gonzo McFee posted:

You're lucky you put that in quotation marks or I would come down your internet and sing The Internationale at you till your ears bleed.

Lets not forget the WWF had a Union
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKl2hJJCsb4

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
Simple question.

Booking wise, structure wise, content wise, I think it's time WWE reinvents the wheel, and finally squares away the problems it's been having with booking interesting rumbles.

The last couple have been kinda slapdash. Changing the finish on last years for being predictable in some minor way, then not changing this year's even though everyone saw it from a mile away. Lots of comedy acts, especially in '12.

I think the Royal Rumble needs an enema. A purge. A return to roots. What I personally feel is they need to, next year, find the best NXT rookie of the crop, move NONE up this year, find the best one, and have him flat win the rumble, be it by luck, chicanery, whatever. It's gotten too deep into the realm of just main eventer class possessions, like world titles. A rumble needs to be something anyone can win. And there's a simple way to solve that.

Ohno? Steamboat? Wyatt? Whoever is most ready for that, and it can be WHC, mind, as long as the winner of the match itself is totally out of left field. It needs to happen. It's been too long since it's happened.

I guess the question is this. Is this threadworthy? I feel like the Rumble is stuck in a rut, and this upsets me as a fan, because the Rumble is my one event that I must watch. That includes WM. Wrestlemania is fine, but a well done rumble is worth 5 WM's to me. I LOVE the Rumble, and have been disappointed that the last couple have seemed so lackluster.

I think what's needed is an upset. An upset on a big stage. WWE never does that anymore. It's always a calculated small upset, with reciprocating booking to make that upset look small. For example, I LOVED the Bo Dallas thing knowing next to nothing about him other than lineage. That's because it's a good story. If it doesn't work, oh well, try again. And again. And again. Just Keep loving Trying.

But, question still stands. Who feels the Rumble has gotten stale as it's gotten to be the top tier's steak to exclusively tear at? Does this deserve a thread?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The Royal Rumble would be fine and not limited to the top tier if they didn't gently caress over Alberto in 2011.

Before the 2012 Rumble Sheamus had two unremarkable WWE title reigns and was not nearly as big as he is today.

e: Plus the new guy winning the Rumble won't be a draw and you're back in the cycle of the Rumble title shot being the fourth most important match at WrestleMania.

I don't particularly want to see Cena vs. Rock II but I can't complain about putting the Rumble title shot in the main event.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 29, 2013

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The Royal Rumble would be fine and not limited to the top tier if they didn't gently caress over Alberto in 2011.

Before the 2012 Rumble Sheamus had two unremarkable WWE title reigns and was not nearly as big as he is today.

He still went WHC, which to me stinks of treading water. ADR could have worked a WWE title program with how over he was. It was a waste, they could have gotten him that match another way and thrown it somewhere more useful, god knows where, but what they did certainly didn't work.

If they knew edge was done, they coulda done the Del Rio face turn a year ago! I guess that's a thing now, considering his face turn worked so well. But would it have worked then? Yeah, because it works because Del Rio is good in ring and Ricardo is charming as gently caress. I showed a GIS result for Ricardo Rodriguez to a female friend and she instantly wanted to know more about this chubby and dapper man. I showed her his 1 minute rally against Big Show. She officially likes one wrestling related person.

Ricardo is so essential to Del Rio atm, and I hope WWE gets that.

But still, bigger question. Even before Del Rio, it was Cena, Batista, Orton, Etc. Del Rio wasn't left field, he was a blue chipper basically. Someone who shouldn't win the rumble, who has no business being there, HAS to win it now. otherwise the entire concept breaks down. Why bother going 40 minutes at #1 if Cena's just gonna toss you out like old garbage? There's no counter balance like in the attitude era rumbles, where Austin might clean house, but there's legit threats who could toss him.

This years finish got kinda close. Ryback was 2nd, which i say should be worth the WHC shot, to simplify things. winner gets WWE title shot, 2nd gets WHC. Book the entire WM season in one night. 2 should be worth SOMETHING. Since they have 2 belts, why not reward second, instead of Booker T picking an opponent? That would be Cena/Rock and Ryback/Del Rio atm, Dolph picks up the belt after EC and boom, two title matches, with two boring hosses, and Vince will cum loving gasoline he'll be so into it.

E: basically, the only time you can catch cena is if he thinks you are dead, when at which point he will celebrate and you get him get eliminated anyway

cucka fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 29, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

cucka posted:

Booking wise, structure wise, content wise, I think it's time WWE reinvents the wheel, and finally squares away the problems it's been having with booking interesting rumbles.

I disagree, as what makes an "interesting rumble" is a subjective concept. For example, I thought this last Rumble was masterfully handled even if I wasn't pleased with the end result. The pacing was right on, there were plenty of compelling little side-stories/spots/bits of humor etc. If this was a "bad" Rumble then I have no problem with them all being "bad".

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I think the problem with recent Rumbles is that the lack of storylines going into them. All the winners since about '07 have been main-eventers they want to be in the title match or surprise entrants. It's hard to care about the winner when all it means is that they be in a title match with, and likely lose to, someone they've had nothing to do with up until now.

The intersting winners are guys we knew would lead somewhere, like Austin in '01 or Batista in '05, or when the match itself was the story (Michaels/Benoit/Mysterio). Having the whole match lead to aome random guy winning out of nowhere to be in a nothing title match that no one cares about puts a damper on the rest of it.

It doesn't have to be a nobody, it just has to be done well.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
I'm reading through Big Show's Wikipedia article and I noticed that he never held the European Championship. I may be misremembering, but I recall Show having a match with then-European Champion, William Regal for the title. Regal's shtick at the time was that he would use his brass knuckles behind the back of the ref to win matches. This time, however, the punch backfired on Regal when Big Show knocked out right on top of Regal for a three count. Was this for a different title or was it non-title?? I swear I thought it was for the European Championship.

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

I'm reading through Big Show's Wikipedia article and I noticed that he never held the European Championship. I may be misremembering, but I recall Show having a match with then-European Champion, William Regal for the title. Regal's shtick at the time was that he would use his brass knuckles behind the back of the ref to win matches. This time, however, the punch backfired on Regal when Big Show knocked out right on top of Regal for a three count. Was this for a different title or was it non-title?? I swear I thought it was for the European Championship.

Regal was the IC champion, and the match was non-title

http://www.pwwew.net/tv/smackdown/020228.htm posted:

Intercontinental Champion William Regal battled Big Show in a non-title match. Show had total control of the match, treating the Englishman like a rag doll. However, as Show gave the sign for his chokeslam, Regal, using his “power of the punch”, pulled out his brass knuckles and blasted the behemoth right in the jaw! The force knocked out Show, but the huge man bounced off the ropes and fell on Regal! The Englishman couldn’t kick out from the dead weight of the giant, so Big Show picked up the non-title victory!

Roman Herbom fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 29, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Q: Does anyone have a list of people that CM Punk successfully defended against (on TV/PPV) during his reign as champion?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Red posted:

Q: Does anyone have a list of people that CM Punk successfully defended against (on TV/PPV) during his reign as champion?

You could probably piece it together here

http://www.profightdb.com/wrestlers/c-m-punk-467.html?prom_id=2

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
I lived through it but it's been a while and I've forgotten some of the details. I'm just curious though, what was the booking that led to the main event of Wrestlemania 2000? As in how did the "McMahon in every corner" thing start and how did every guy get into the match?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Red posted:

Del Rio
Miz
Ziggler
Jericho
Kofi
R-Truth
Mark Henry
Daniel Bryan
Kane
John Cena
The Big Show
The Ryback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

LightsGameraAction posted:

I lived through it but it's been a while and I've forgotten some of the details. I'm just curious though, what was the booking that led to the main event of Wrestlemania 2000? As in how did the "McMahon in every corner" thing start and how did every guy get into the match?

Ok I watched this fairly recently so here goes (I may get some things wrong, it's a bit fuzzy):

Rock & Big Show both went over the top rope at the same time at the Rumble. Rock ended up being the "winner" but Big Show got himself into the Mania match too by allying himself with Shane and beating the Rock in a match.

HHH, Stephanie, Shane & Big Show had an uneasy alliance, basically making Rock's life hell on the Road to Wrestlemania.

HHH & Stephanie had run Vince out of the company the previous year, but Vince made his big return to back up the Rock in the Mania match, to get his revenge on his daughter.

HHH had retired Foley, but Linda came out and announced that Foley was getting his dream of a Mania main event after all.

It wasn't a great build to Wrestlemania, and this is why they rarely do multi-man main events at Mania.