Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
When was the last time a Strap Match happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

Punk had one with Umaga in 2009. That's the latest I remember.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Stallion Cabana posted:

Did it have any applepie?

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
There was one between Shad and JTG at some Extreme Rules recently, right?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

Kurt still shows up to shows zonked out and has bad incidents a couple times a year. He's gotten "better" in the sense of fewer people think he's going to die soon, but he's not "well."

He hasn't been pulled over for DUI in over a year! (Probably)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Iskanderson posted:

Three years ago! It was terrible.

It was part of the 'let's break up all the tag teams for no reason and fire the big guy' era.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Iskanderson posted:

That reminds me
Almost 6 years!!

http://www.lolwrestling.com/howlonghasjtgbeenemployed/

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Good on him for having a job and all, but I'm kind of curious why they keep the guy on the payroll if they won't do anything with him. Does JTG have the Funaki factor going on, where he's close with one of the big stars or something?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
How is everyone forgetting the seminal classic of Cole/Swagger vs JR/King?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Reading the WCW and Assholes threads has left me with a nagging question. Is there anyone, specifically other wrestlers, in the business Scott Steiner actually likes and/or respects?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Q_res posted:

Reading the WCW and Assholes threads has left me with a nagging question. Is there anyone, specifically other wrestlers, in the business Scott Steiner actually likes and/or respects?

I assume Molly Holly

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume Molly Holly

Sting too, but everyone seems to respect him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aubergine Mage posted:

Sting too, but everyone seems to respect him.

I heard a bunch of wrestlers hated him when he got clean since he started calling up peoples wives and telling them what their husbands did on the road.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

bobkatt013 posted:

I heard a bunch of wrestlers hated him when he got clean since he started calling up peoples wives and telling them what their husbands did on the road.

I really hope this isn't true, because drat it, I'm getting sick of hearing stories of people who are born again and promptly turn around and go "I'm going to MORALLY JUDGE THE poo poo OUT OF YOU."

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Q_res posted:

Petey Williams. His Art of Wrestling episode has a lot of fun stuff on his time with Steiner.

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega

Hoss Corncave posted:

Petey Williams. His Art of Wrestling episode has a lot of fun stuff on his time with Steiner.

I just listened to this the other day... The part where Steiner messes up a line and says "I'm going to shoot a load up your rear end" killed me.

Art of Wrestling is awesome, but after listening to like 35 episodes recently, I hate hearing every wrestler say they have a poo poo memory.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Gar posted:

I just listened to this the other day... The part where Steiner messes up a line and says "I'm going to shoot a load up your rear end" killed me.

I was at a friend's place a couple of weeks ago and played that clip and he was cracking up at that messed up line for most of the day. He went in the shower at one point and you could still hear him laughing at it.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Edit: wrong thread, sorry.

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 11, 2013

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Gar posted:

Art of Wrestling is awesome, but after listening to like 35 episodes recently, I hate hearing every wrestler say they have a poo poo memory.

Chair shots'll do that do a man.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rarity posted:

How is everyone forgetting the seminal classic of Cole/Swagger vs JR/King?

poo poo, I wanted to be the only one who remembered this piece of poo poo.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

what was the last leg drop Hulk Hogan ever did, and did he injure himself doing it?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Cardboard Box posted:

what was the last leg drop Hulk Hogan ever did, and did he injure himself doing it?

I think it was his match against Big Show in Memphis (where he was supposed to face Jerry Lawler), and I don't remember him hurting himself in that match. I don't think he's used the leg drop since.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What's the shortest amount of time someone has gone from intro vignettes, to an actual debut match, to release?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

sticklefifer posted:

What's the shortest amount of time someone has gone from intro vignettes, to an actual debut match, to release?

Kizarny had 6 weeks of vignettes, wrestled 2 matches (one being a battle royal), and was released 2 months after.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

VogeGandire posted:

Kizarny had 6 weeks of vignettes, wrestled 2 matches (one being a battle royal), and was released 2 months after.

Mordecai debuted in May after promos and was sent back to OVW by July before being released.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Mordecai debuted in May after promos and was sent back to OVW by July before being released.

Was he actually released? I thought he just languished in developmental until he became a vampire in the new ECW?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Has Jeff Jarrett ever hit The Stroke on Bret Hart since mid-2002?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

How does John Cena's time as face of the company compare to the length of time other people have been the face of the company?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Spikeguy posted:

How does John Cena's time as face of the company compare to the length of time other people have been the face of the company?

He's the longest to be the top guy. Even Hogan wasn't on top for this long.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

VogeGandire posted:

He's the longest to be the top guy. Even Hogan wasn't on top for this long.

Furthermore since there are far more hours of TV and PPVs aired during Cena's time it seems even longer. Like, exponentially longer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spikeguy posted:

Bruno Sammartino was the face of the company for 17 years, although part time for a few of those.

Hogan was the face of the company for 8-9 years, depending on how you look at it.

Austin was the face of the company for 5 years.

Triple H for 3.

Cena has been the face of the company for 8+ years right now, so if he makes it to next year's Wrestlemania he'll move into a lock for second.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I could've sworn it was over a decade at this point, but I guess he won the title and was drafted to Raw in 2005, so he's just booked bad enough to make it seem longer.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

sticklefifer posted:

Brakkus immediately came to mind but he was somehow employed by the company for two years.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

LividLiquid posted:

I could've sworn it was over a decade at this point, but I guess he won the title and was drafted to Raw in 2005, so he's just booked bad enough to make it seem longer.

Yeah, as FishBulb said it just seems longer because he's been all over most of WWE's TV during that time. Even back in the day of Hulkamania, Hogan only made infrequent appearances on the WWF's syndicated shows (apart from being in the intro sequence, of course :v:).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
As crazy as it is to think, Hogan was a full time WCW performer for almost exactly as long as he was in the WWF. (Hogan was a part timer at best from 91-93)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRanTer posted:

Bruno Sammartino was the face of the company for 17 years, although part time for a few of those.

Hogan was the face of the company for 8-9 years, depending on how you look at it.

Austin was the face of the company for 5 years.

Triple H for 3.

Cena has been the face of the company for 8+ years right now, so if he makes it to next year's Wrestlemania he'll move into a lock for second.

And as huge as Austin was during those 5 years, they never seemed scared to push other guys or insist that Austin main event every show regardless of whether or not he was champ. I think Cena would seem a lot less stale if they allowed other full time guys to share the spotlight more in roles similar to what guys like Foley, Rock, Taker, and Shawn filled at various times during that period.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Thauros posted:

And as huge as Austin was during those 5 years, they never seemed scared to push other guys or insist that Austin main event every show regardless of whether or not he was champ. I think Cena would seem a lot less stale if they allowed other full time guys to share the spotlight more in roles similar to what guys like Foley, Rock, Taker, and Shawn filled at various times during that period.

This is why I float my "Vince is more obsessed with crowd reactions than money" theory from time to time. Sure, he wants to keep the Cena merch train running because it brings in a ton of revenue, but I do sometimes think he obsesses over the reactions Cena gets because he doesn't really have anything more to strive towards or to focus his attention on. Vince and his immediate family are all pretty much financially set for life, WWE = pro wrestling to the entire world, he has no real competition in any sense of the word, and even in wrestling's current global downturn they're doing OK enough in ratings to keep their flagship show on TV.

That's basically why I think Vince is trying to find some secret formula that will get audiences consistently and routinely popping for Cena like they did for Hogan or Austin, because he doesn't really have anything else left to achieve. It's got to be sticking in Vince's craw that in spite of all his efforts to make crowds react otherwise, Cena still gets noticeable boos pretty much everywhere he goes.

I know it's probably a pretty far-out kind of theory, but apart from the merch sales I really can't see any other compelling reason why WWE in general and Cena in particular are being booked the way they currently are.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I know it's probably a pretty far-out kind of theory, but apart from the merch sales I really can't see any other compelling reason why WWE in general and Cena in particular are being booked the way they currently are.

I don't think you really need another reason. Though its not like Cena merch sales went down when they elevated Punk and he started outselling Cena so I don't really know.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I don't think you really need another reason. Though its not like Cena merch sales went down when they elevated Punk and he started outselling Cena so I don't really know.

Exactly. WWE made bank back in the day with Hogan shirts, Savage shirts, JYD shirts, etc. And then again with Austin 3:16 shirts, The Rock shirts, D-X shirts, and so on. Pushing another guy to be at roughly the same level Cena's at would not hurt Cena's merch in the least.

That's why I think Vince is really obsessed keeping Cena on top and squelching most anyone else that gets a huge reaction these days. Because if he wasn't, he'd see that guys like Punk and Sheamus are also pretty popular and could potentially carry the company at times, while Cena took the occasional break to rest up and freshen up his character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This is why I float my "Vince is more obsessed with crowd reactions than money" theory from time to time. Sure, he wants to keep the Cena merch train running because it brings in a ton of revenue, but I do sometimes think he obsesses over the reactions Cena gets because he doesn't really have anything more to strive towards or to focus his attention on. Vince and his immediate family are all pretty much financially set for life, WWE = pro wrestling to the entire world, he has no real competition in any sense of the word, and even in wrestling's current global downturn they're doing OK enough in ratings to keep their flagship show on TV.

That's basically why I think Vince is trying to find some secret formula that will get audiences consistently and routinely popping for Cena like they did for Hogan or Austin, because he doesn't really have anything else left to achieve. It's got to be sticking in Vince's craw that in spite of all his efforts to make crowds react otherwise, Cena still gets noticeable boos pretty much everywhere he goes.

His quarter hours still move ratings and his feuds are more likely to produce a good PPV number than any other option they have. He's their best bet for money, basically.