Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I only got back into WWE last year, and I'm noticing Raw is really sucking right now. Within this decade, what other time periods in Raw's history can compare in awfulness to this "Guest GM Era"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

HulkaMatt posted:

This man has bored me more than ever this year.

I like him but holy poo poo I can't get into anything he does lately.
Orton and Triple H are like Cole and Lawler. They can be good when working with others but put them together and they become abysmal.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Which WCW wrestler and ECW wrestler from the Invasion/Alliance had the most success in WWE?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Better tag team title match that week: Austin/Triple H vs. Benoit/Jericho (RAW 5/21/01) or TLC 3 (Smackdown 5/24/01)?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Jericho oughta use the Walls ---> Liontamer when someone tries to reach the ropes, much like Angle's grapevined ankle lock.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
What are Bret Hart's best matches in WCW and how do they compare to his best matches in the WWF?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sionistic posted:

I think the whiff is on purpose, do you see how hard his knees come down every time? It looks like it could legit hurt.
I believe Morrison really stiffed Tyson Kidd with Starship Pain when he landed on his face in this match. Granted, I still think his knees took a lot of the impact, but Kidd looked legit dazed for a moment after the match.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
In your opinion, just how relevant was the Undertaker to the Attitude Era? Like, if I compiled a list of the ten WWF Superstars that defined that time period, Taker barely makes it, even when counting tag teams as one unit. I just find it interesting that both Taker and HBK, the Superstars with the most tenure, seemed to be the biggest stars during WWE's fallow periods.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Is it just me or is the current WWE midcard as good as it ever has been? Or should I not get too attached to any of the guys there like Bourne and Ryder because many of them will promptly disappear within the year?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Two questions:

When did smarky chants begin to take hold in WWE?

AND

How often have Cena, Orton, Batista, Triple H, Edge and Undertaker been simultaneously healthy?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
When did CM Punk first use the Go 2 Sleep?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The heel turn itself (RAW 8/11/97)
His first heel promo the following week (full promo here)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right didn't he pull that off against The Giant once in WCW? That was sensational.
Here you go.

The rope-assisted kip-up is almost as nuts.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

sportsgenius86 posted:

If he's not wrestling in it, I would agree with you. Otherwise, here comes the shovel!
OK, this phrase has been popping up a lot lately, so I've got to ask: Is this a new WH2K in-joke or a resurrected one?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Informal Poll: Was Jericho's best material during his heel run in WCW? He called Stephanie McMahon a gigantic whore in the Attitude Era, apparently did a whole lot of nothing from '02-'05 and at the peak of his current heel run, has been incredibly entertaining in a much different way. It's just, I notice that when people talk about how awesome Jericho is, they usually say ARMBAR or talk about conspiracies or quote anything else he said in that one year on the TV shows of a long-dead wrestling company.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I'd put it like Austin, Rock, Foley and Triple H. If I had to include Mr. McMahon, I would either put him 2nd or 5th.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I'd think I'd go:

1. Austin
2. Mr. McMahon
3. The Rock
4. Foley
5. Triple H
6. DX
7-9. Edge & Christian/Dudleys/Hardys
10-11. Undertaker/Kane

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I once asked about the relevancy of the Undertaker during the Attitude Era in this thread. I ultimately felt he wasn't that relevant for two reasons:

1. His gimmick became a bit stale because occupation-based and supernatural gimmicks were less acceptable because the audience wasn't mostly children anymore. So, newcomers to the main event overshadowed UT a bit, which led to Bikertaker, which I would call a mixed success.
2. Most of his Attitude Era moments took place outside of matches e.g. sacrificing Austin because I don't think he had that many good-great matches during this time because he wasn't as good a worker as he is now. Sure, he has the first two HIACs, but what else? In fact, I'd argue that HIAC 2 was all Foley, similar to how the WM10 ladder match was all HBK, even though Razor won.

But from judging the comments in this thread, maybe my memory needs to be jogged?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
What was The Rock's first great match and overall, how would you compare the quality of his matches to someone like Cena or Batista?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRayPer posted:

Everyone knows the true mark where the Simpsons went down hill is the 200th episode with Homer getting a wacky job, celebrities, a ridiculous deus ex machina ending and everything else.
Eh, I'm more lenient than that and say that Phil Hartman's death was what ultimately killed the show for me.

Anyway, content: As far as Daniel Bryan's technique is concerned, is there really any difference between the omoplata crossface and the arm trap version? I was looking at some gifs and pictures of it, and I couldn't really tell the difference.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Opinion question: Has Evan Bourne always been this good or did he actually improve since coming to WWE?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRayPer posted:

Cena has also had a shorter career and it has been less intense for the last few years, where from WM 18 through WM 23 HHH was Hitler. Now he's more like Mussolini, or a lesser dictator, still hated but sometimes forgotten. Cena has always been a bit more mixed, a lot of hatred, but some love too, especially after 2007.
Hmm. From WM18 to WM23, huh. I'm beginning to think much of the smark rage is rooted in HHH burying Jericho into the midcard for the next few years until he retired for the first time. Of course, I could be wrong, but it is interesting to think about.

quote:

:words: on Cena
I'm with J-Ru on him in that I like everything about Cena except the STF. In fact, I don't even hate the STF that much, especially the version where he wraps one arm around the neck that actually looks like it's hurting the opponent.

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 24, 2010

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I would love to see a long build feud with Sheamus and Barrett - they just seem to be perfect to play off each other in promos and in the ring. Two big dudes that can actually move and both can talk.
On a similar note, I'd love to see a three-way feud between Sheamus, Barrett and Jack Swagger in a few years. They'd probably be more proficient workers by then, and a PPV match with these three big athletic guys would likely not suck.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Shitty_Wok posted:

What are some other great gaffes to come out of promos?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4O-wDli0S4

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
How do the ladder matches of other feds compare to WWE's? Because I tend to think of that match-type as their specialty.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Rodney the Piper posted:

Ric Flair after the plane crash & broken back has to count, though he was only out for six months.
What did Flair look like before the plane crash? Wasn't he close to 300 pounds?

e: Well, I found this thing, he looks more like 260-270 here.

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 10, 2011

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
What were Scott Steiner's best matches (singles, tags, etc.) before Big Poppa Pump, and when was the last time he had a great match as BPP?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

KildarX posted:

Can anyone explain the Matt Hardy is fat meme?
It didn't start with this picture, but this was the point where we could not stop making jokes about it:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

KildarX posted:

...Wait a minute, was this around the time when Hardy attempted to go for the Cruiserweight Championship? If so I would like to award Smackdown angel of the year.
No no, this was from last year.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

warbrides posted:

I've sprained my elbow and it is ridiculous how much it hurts each time my body moves/jolts/does anything other than stay still. It absolutely amazes me that Bob Holly managed to finish his match with Angle with a broken arm, especially taking the suplex bumps.

Has anyone else (other than Trips) famously finished a match after loving up a body part?
1/22/99 Triple Crown, Kawada vs. Misawa. About 8 minutes in, Kawada breaks his forearm. He then proceeds to wrestle for another 16 minutes. The broken arm also resulted in this spot, which is a lot harder to watch than it used to be.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
What's your favorite move ever done on the Big Show? My preference is the Perfect-Plex; the F5 was also real nice; the Jackhammer wasn't half-bad, either.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Red is Dead posted:

Crossposting from the "your birthday in history" thread from pyf, I find out I share a birthday with the following.

Matt Borne
HHH
Shannon Moore.

Who have you got?
Nick Bockwinkel. Also, apparently The Wall/Malice died on my birthday.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRayPer posted:

I must also note the best HBK/Undertaker match is the HIAC match from Badd Blood. Objective truth.
I'm a bit surprised you hold this opinion, considering the Kane debut/run-in.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

triplexpac posted:

I'm sorry to bring up HHH again, but I'm curious what people think about him in relation to the Undertaker. They're basically two of the last main eventers from the Attitude Era left.

Really, I'd have to say Undertaker is worse than HHH. I know he's beloved, but if you look at them in a pure in-ring standpoint I think Undertaker loses out. People give HHH poo poo for his run around 2003-2005, but Bikertaker was just as horrendous. Really, I'd have to say Undertaker was pretty poo poo from 1999-2002. Just a ballpark anyway, but I'm basing my range around not being able to think of any good Undertaker stuff during the Ministry until around the time he turned heel as the Biker and was working with Jeff Hardy.

His return to the Deadman character has been a mixed bag, with obviously great matches at Mania.

Anyway, just something I've been thinking about.
I was actually thinking of making a post like this but didn't want to further extend the argument. I think Triple H was more important to the Attitude Era, but I still like him less than Taker.

I will agree that Undertaker has been making GBS threads up the ring for much longer than Triple H. But I think this is still a "what have you done for me lately" situation. I really believe Taker has rarely been bad, certainly less terrible than Triple H, from about '07 to now (okay that's cheating a bit since he's been ghost for the past two years or so, but I guess you can say similar things about Triple H). Taker has improved with age, while Hunter has stagnated, that's the crux of my argument.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TL posted:

Does anyone have the video version where they added a "HUH? HUH? HUH?" to every hop and the "OWWWWWWWWWW" after he got knocked over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRyNrTbCdhg

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

When did The Rock's ungodly long Hollywood tron debut?
I think it was No Way Out 2003 for his rematch against Hogan, though I think most people saw it for the first time the next night on Raw in Toronto.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Are there any other Dave Meltzers? Like, is there a Dave Meltzer of lucha or a Dave Meltzer of British wrestling?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

crankdatbatman posted:

What is the general consensus of Backlash 2000? I loved that main event and wonder if I'm the only one who has that opinion. It kind of sucks HHH got the belt back at Judgment Day, but whatever. It may just be nostalgia, as I had just gotten into WWF/E in December of 99 and really liked the Rock, so seeing the Rock with the title for the first time was really cool for a 12 year old me.
I think it's commonly said that this should've been Wrestlemania, and not WM2000.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I still say most people didn't realize what HBK was doing to Hogan until he pointed it out the next night on Raw. I'm mean, in the Summerslam 2005 thread, I think only one or two posters recognized that Shawn was overselling. Hell, a few even say he was being professional by making Hogan look like a million bucks and agreeing to that finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Thauros posted:

I'm 30 now and the late '90s don't seem nearly that long ago to me.
My personal opinion is that it feels like there was a greater increase in TV broadcast quality from the 80s to the 90s than the 90s to right now, even with HD.