Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

PlasticSpoon posted:

Was this a shoot brotha or did the man really have a heart attack live on TV.

This was a classic WCW IT'S A SHOOT BROTHER!

Even Flair's family, if memory serves, was told the heart attack was real, and the situation can be added to the numerous attempts of WCW higher-ups trying to work the boys/smarks for no discernible reason.

So, yeah, this was a classless, tasteless work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

LividLiquid posted:

It also had the problem where it would explain some very simple concepts of wrestling, implying it wasn't written for smarts, but then it would mention other things that even most smarks don't know about and act like they're common knowledge.

The book had no idea who it was trying to reach.

That's a bit of an extreme statement. I mean, sure there are inaccuracies--and at times downright mind-scratching errors--but on the whole the Death of WCW is a fantastic read. And indeed, there is much more good than bad in the book.

Or are we talking about one of RD's other books?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

What's the deal with the whole "Heyman Hustle" website? Did Paul E start it himself or what?

Part of the UK Sun, innit?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Where did "CAN YOU FEEL YER TOWS?!" come from? I vaguely remember, but it escapes me at the moment.

For clarification's sake, the first time it happened was when Matt Hardy gave Edge a side effect off the stage onto "electrical equipment." This was during Matt's reinstatement into the WWE after the Lita deal.

Which by the way made this awful promo possible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb6pShbG4vA.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

apsouthern posted:

I seem to remember from DiBiase's book that he started as a face (pre-WWE), but he was turned heel when he split from his tag partner at the time. Not sure about his WWE career though

Off the top of my head, DiBiase was a heel in Mid south, but turned face after being tossed head-first into a post by then tag team partner Dick Murdoch. It was some fantastic angle where DiBiase refused to give Murdoch his NWA WHC shot against Flair so Murdoch turned on him, busting him just brutally open, and DiBiase demanded the match against doctor's orders.

I'm sure it's on youtube somewhere.

And Steamboat I know was teased as going heel in TNA, but didn't end up turning by the time he left.

I was going to say Jeff Hardy was another guy who was always face, but I think he was a heel as a member of the new brood.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
All this WCW talk is reminding me of the story where WCW wanted to build the return of Rick Steiner on TV (forgive me if I'm thinking someone else, but I think it was Rick), and the day of the show the people in charge forgot to tell Rick to be there.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

TL posted:

"WCW took out a huge ad in USA Today with the new logo which read "Looks like something a bird left on the hood of my car", and never mentioned wrestling once" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

I have to, HAVE TO see this.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Happy Happyist posted:

On the one hand, they say they don't want the focus on the refs. On the other, last Monday we had a full minute audible argument between Chavo and Noah Wilson (skinny black guy that's not Human Tornado) about putting on a cow head.

His name, according to THE BOARD~, is black ref.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Judakel posted:

What were, in your opinion, the greatest small man vs. giant matches ever?

A comment by Ghidzilla in the Andre The Giant thread inspired me to look into some of these matches. I am a sucker for this kind of match up due to the contrasting styles often shown throughout the match and my favorite is Shawn Michaels vs. Vader. Which ones would you recommend?

Shawn Michaels vs. Vader Summerslam '92
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4aos7_shawn-michaels-vs-vader-wwf-title-m_sport

Any time this comes up the first response is generally Eddie vs Brock Lesnar.

So Eddie vs Brock Lesnar.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

CombineThresher posted:

Bret is a big baby, but I'll cut him a little slack because his stroke probably affected his brain and thereby his perception of things.

I always thought this, and would bring this up in defense of Bret whenever he did/said something stupid. But then I watched Wrestling with Shadows, and he was pretty much the same guy then, with the same delusions, as he is today.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Zanael posted:

Excuse me but Rated RKO.

Plus Triple H already blew two quads.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

An Taoiseach posted:

So how many times has Triple H blown his quads then?

He has one blow for each quad.

I think.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Some are on Youtube, or maybe some were. They get taken down all too quickly. However, after a look at youtube, I found this fellow's page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WWETNAwrestlingfan15

He seems to have a couple uploaded. Really, search youtube, dailymotion, metacafe, and all the usual suspects and you should find a couple. It's a drat shame Michael Hayes is so obnoxious on these, though.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

crankdatbatman posted:

Oh well, same goes for Austin, Benoit, Angle, and probably a shitton of others too :smith:

Austin beat up Debra, and that's not excusable. But as for being a likeable guy outside the ring, or an unselfish person/wrestler, I'm not sure you'll find a better guy. Austin has always been one of the most respected wrestlers ever, never putting himself over to the detriment of the company, and he gave a lot more than he had.

I'm sure his walkout could be used against him, but the point is the man was physically ruined and kept on giving a lot longer than he should have.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Batmanuel posted:

Benoit killed his family...

Yes, yes he did. But I'm solely talking about Austin and it looks like we got our signals crossed. My whole point is that as far as being an overall good person who is well-liked seemingly unanimously amongst his peers, Austin fits the bill. But I made sure to note his issue with Debra is inexcusable on his part.

As for a question, can someone give me a quick rundown of the aftermath of Survivor Series 1997? I know Owen was the only Hart Foundation member to stick around, Foley sat out the next RAW, and Bulldog had to buyout his own contract, but I can't remember what else was going on backstage.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Ktik posted:

HBK/HHH said the Harris Twins were their protection in the locker room after the match. Neidhart was embarrassed on Raw I think two weeks later then left for WCW. Foley, Taker, and I think one other name (Maybe Vader?) all skipped the Raw the next night. Foley came back when he realized he needed money.

I remember the Neidhart deal--he joined DX, only to be low blowed by Chyna at the end of RAW and never seen again. But I've never heard this:

Batmanuel posted:

Part of the aftermath was Undertaker making Bret and Vince hug it out.

Did this actually happen? All I know is Bret punched Vince, but I hadn't heard they later bro hugged.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Pneub posted:

Sting vs. HBK or The Undertaker: This is the Last Great American Wrestleing Dream Match.

As far as nostalgia goes, I suppose these could be considered dream matches. Really though, without two concurrently running major pro wrestling companies, it's hard to say there's really any more dream matches. Sting's old and no longer relevant--if it were ten years ago that would be one thing (or even if Sting were ten years younger), but Sting in 2009 is not a major player in the wrestling world, and can't wrestle to a high standard anymore.

There's one game in town, and a whole new generation of young fans, many of whom might not even know who Sting is. At least that's my two cents, and I know a few Wrestlehutters would love a Sting vs Taker match.

And as far as nostalgia goes, I think there really may be one dream match left that hasn't happened in 20 years: Steamboat vs Flair.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I know Vince Russo joined creative in the WWF in 1996, but when did he get the full promotion to head writer? Some time in 1998, I think, I just can't put my finger on when.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Meat Recital posted:

Is there actually any video of this?

Evidence points to the June 27th (or is it 24th? I think 27th) edition of RAW in 2006. But I can't find a video. I shall continue looking.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Matt Cruea posted:

What happens in one day? :ohdear:

I haven't given it much thought, but we'll find out when Hulkamatt is good and ready.

Matt Cruea posted:

Was Tom Zenk ever even REMOTELY over? Who thought Z-Man was a good nickname?

Zenk is an insane pro wrestler, by the way. This is his site http://www.tomzenk.net/index.html

Apparently he had some insane posts on the site at one point (since removed), the creepiest about the Miss Elizabeth death with Stephanie in Liz's place, and HHH in Lex Luger's.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

Darren Young.

It turns out that Darren Young is actually black. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen this.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

LightsGameraAction posted:

It's why he was my favorite at the time. The dude could actually loving wrestle. Rock and Austin were entertaining when they cut promos but apart from that what were they good for? Punching and hitting their signature moves.

You can get away with saying that about Rock to a point. His matches were more simple and built more around the entertainment front. But Austin, despite his rep as the punchy-kicky stomp-a-mudhole-in-the-corner guy later in his career due to his neck injury, was a hell of a worker. I watched most RAWs from 97-99 not too long ago, usually skipping the unbelievably atrocious undercard bullshit, and Austin could still go as far as the steak versus the sizzle argument goes. No, he wasn't what he used to be before the Owendriver '97 or during his "Stunning" Steve days, but he was in there leaving it in the ring. And on PPV, you could always count on a high-caliber bout.

It was something that always stood out to me about Austin, who clearly wanted to work at a high level even when he didn't have to. He could have gone out every night, punched his opponent a few times, hit his forearm/elbow drop thing, picked the dude up and stunned him, but instead he would take suplexes on the ramp, hard bumps to the floor, go off the middle rope, and it likely wound up costing him a few years of his career. Even though he could have just phoned it in each night.

And then there's his insane heel run, including the multiple german suplexes from Benoit, amongst other awesome moments.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Minidust posted:

This is a pretty good analogy actually. And when you really get down to it, almost every move ends in a back-bump or front-bump, so taking moves on the fly isn't as haphazard as it may seem.

Quick example is that move where it starts like a back suplex, but then the guy giving it kinda swings his free arm over and turns it into a Rock Bottom. It's the same exact bump as a back suplex, so I never bothered explaining the move when I did it in a training match.

And the counterpoint to this is when Jeff Hardy goes to give a guy a front suplex, and the man taking the move thinks it's a normal vertical suplex, so Hardy ends up spiking the poor bastard on the top of his head.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

johnners posted:

Wasn't her book debunked by a lot of people though? I know that when I went through it, I had a few raised eyebrows.

Bret said something to the effect of "there are so many tragic stories of the Hart family that you don't need to make up more."

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

The majority of their revenue comes from their Spike and international TV deals. Their PPVs lose money, and with the exception of the first three months of this year (and a few other upswings) their house shows lose money. They weren't in great shape before the Hogan deal, but with all of the signings of the past month, the expense of going live and all the extra promotions they are losing significant money again.

Actually, don't their house shows either break even or pull a modest profit, what with the $20 Polaroid at the end and Don West or JB shilling merch throughout the night? Plus I think attendance is up. Unless attendance recently died, which you seem to be implying.

But even if house shows are making them a little money, it's not even a drop in that hat compared to the enormous added expense 20ish new wrestlers and going live every other week.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I'd also say he and Jericho work very well together. But then again, find me someone with even a small bit of talent Jericho can't pull a good match out of.

If Taker sticks around a while longer, and if Swagger gets elevated, we might one day find they have great chemistry. The one match they had was pretty damned good.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Jerusalem posted:

I recall Rock/Taker/Angle having at least one absolutely loving incredible match (I think when Rock won the Undisputed Title) that just blew everything else on the show out of the water.

And I suppose we should add Angle to the list, as well. I remember 2 matches between the two that were particularly great.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Spikeguy posted:

It's on the WWE Title history dvd and the Rock's. Love the poo poo out of that match. The Undertaker DVD has a great bonus match between Kurt and Taker that happened on Smackdown for the title.

Is that the simultaneous triangle choke/pin match?

Actually I think they did that finish twice. Only they switched the position. And Undertaker tapped out in one of them.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MrBling posted:

Stan Hansen vs Vader is the pure essence of two giant dudes punching each other until one guy stops. Watch some of that.

Yeah, I'll second this. This is the infamous "eye-popping out" match.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

CombineThresher posted:

Hansen v. Andre is even better - I believe it was described as "like watching King Kong and Godzilla try to kill each other with their bare hands."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz2D9tZUsaM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MitTviB3DD8

The match in question. I much prefer Hansen v Vader, but Hansen v Andre gets bonus points for Andre taking a bodyslam 6 years before WM7 from Hansen.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

DannoMack posted:

Did Shannon Moore fail a pot test or piss someone off in the locker room or something during his time on WWE's ECW brand? Because I can't imagine his time there was anything other than punishment.

He and Yang ended up getting over pretty good as a tag team primarily against Miz and Morrison (I forget if they were on Smackdown or ECW at this point). Then Yang failed a wellness test, reportedly for extacy of all things, and Moore ended up released soon after.

Moore's initial ECW push fizzled when fans were riding him at an ECW house show and he got on the mic and said he wasn't wrestling for the internet. That immediately led to a bizarre promo on ECW where he said "I'm the prince of Punk, and I'm bringing sexy back." Then Punk called him a poser and slapped him, then beat him in matches repeatedly. Moore is in the Hardy fucktard stable, along with Helms and the Hardy brothers who wind up getting themselves in trouble by running their mouths or just acting like backwoods morons.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

BizarroAzrael posted:

Don't know really, but I always liked Stevie, since I first started watching WWE and he was doing the Dude Love thing

Wait, what?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, I think it was him, Punk, RVD and Dreamer? Maybe I'm getting matches confused, I think it was the one where RVD and Dreamer recreated the spring-neck piledriver bit.

They handled Stevie a bit weird though, he did a run in with the New Breed for no stated reason, and it was never mentioned again. I think he was making up the numbers for some reason, might have been when Monty Brown left. They seemed like they were going to push him within ECW (when that mattered a bit) after he came back from throat surgery, but that never went anywhere.

I think the match you're thinking of was a three way with Dreamer, RVD, and a third party I can't remember. The four way I somehow remember, as it had a moment where Stevie did the throat under the ropes catapult on someone after having it done on himself earlier in the match, in a moment of simple psychology that really stood out.

But I may be misremembering things as well. I really just remember that spot. And now this ECW talk reminded me of those tremendous "ECW High School" posts...

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

DMPunk posted:

When you look at all the agents WWE has, its a pretty impressive list:

Arn Anderson
Dean Malenko
Ricky Steamboat
IRS
Finlay

Also Jamie Noble. Sometimes when I'm watching a WWE match, I'll see a move or series of moves and can figure out what agent put the match together. The Mysterio/Ziggler matches, for example, seemed put together by Mysterio's old nemesis, Dean Malenko, and had spots similar to what Dean and Mysterio pulled off in WCW.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Matlock posted:

CTC was a great idea for a stable and was immediately dashed

Didn't Cena get hurt or something? Or there was a trade?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
To add to the discussion of Vince becoming an on-air personality, he really started to appear more-and-more and develop the hardass boss persona in the lead up to and aftermath of Mike Tyson at Wrestlemania. There's a fantastic moment during Tyson's first live appearance where Austin confronts him and incites a brawl where McMahon is at ringside screaming, "YOU RUINED IT! YOU RUINED EVERYTHING!" at Austin. And after Stone Cold pinned HBK the ball was already rolling and moved effortlessly into McMahon demanding Austin becoming more corporate, and spawned the rather famous "We can do this the easy way or the hard way" promo.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Minidust posted:

Off the top of my head there was also Dude Love vs. Steve Blackman in April '98 (McMahon calls for the bell during an abdominal stretch). Probably only remember this one cuz I was at that Raw :v:

Also there was the "South Philly Screwjob" during the ECW reboot.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Riceball posted:

Since Mccool allegedly got married to Taker this weekend, I'm wondering when Undertaker got divorced from Sara.

Not sure when, but it was years ago. Taker got his throat tattoo removed.

Best commentary duo I've ever heard was JR and Cornette. It was sublime, but it only happened a few times, usually when RAW was on a Thursday or weekend.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

DannoMack posted:

Is Wrestlicious doing well? I hope it's doing well.

Supposedly they've been getting clearances at a few other stations as the series progressed (though I've no idea where), and there are plans for another taping. So still in business it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

apsouthern posted:

He moved on (if not necessarily up) in the culinary world

Wash it down with on of these babies.