Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

BUTTHOLE MAGICIAN posted:

sabu/terry funk barbed wire was pretty grotesque

ecw never used a weed whacker as a weapon, never mind one that was used in the match and didn't even lead to the finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lazy like a Fox posted:

On the bleach issue- I think ROH had Homicide force Cabana to drink "bleach", or was it Drano?

Speaking of terribly violent death matches-which fed had the SAW match, where the one dude got dropped on a shitload of syringes? There was a youtube video of that that was quite possibly the saddest thing I've ever seen.

it was "drano". (Powerade actually)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Gorilla was great for reacting to people and having his color guys bounce lines off of him. He tended to repeat the "spontaneous" lines over and over again over the years, but he had a great voice and his,"Oh will you stop!" was always fun to hear.

loved his constant misuse of the word literally.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Karmine posted:

So is Beth Phoenix actually pregnant or not because I have no idea anymore.

She is not pregnant.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Batmanuel posted:

These questions have to be asked:

What, exactly, is the WWE style? What match perfectly defines this style? What wrestler uses it best?

basically the wwe style is working extremely safe so as not to hurt your opponent, and being able to get through a match in 3-15 minutes, relying on familiar spots, signature moves, and a consistent finisher.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Writer Cath posted:

Kayfabe wise, which Diva has the worst taste in men?

Maria is pretty bad: Carlito, Santino, Ziggler... all these dudes who treat her pretty badly.

Kelly Kelly isn't terrific either: Miz, Balls Mahoney, Knox...

Sunny. By far.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Has CM Punk ever had a 5 star match? I seem to recall reading about one or two he had in ROH, but I can't seem to find proof. I know there's a rating list in the OP, but that's just for WWF/E.

Joe vs Punk II got 5 stars from Meltzer.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Because usually battle royals are for a prize, and the top guys are more likely to win them!

jim duggan/john studd

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

RUSSO!

His first WCW pay-per-view. Happy? No? Russo, as others have said, made no less than three WCW pay-per-view matches end in screwjob victories trying to recreate Montreal.

The last time he did it he actually managed to kick Hulk Hogan off of television for the better part of three years, so I don't know if the ends justified the means, but at least some good came out of it.

wcw died

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

How exactly did people realize wrestling was fake? I don't watch it and I don't live in the U.S., but I heard people thought it was real like 20 years ago.

Was it just a gradual process or a GREAT REVEAL or what?

when hulk hogan lost to the ultimate warrior

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Fallon posted:

I never watched WCW so what strikes me as odd is considering how it nearly buried the WWF at the time how nobody mentions anything positive about it.

What I percieve as good:

- The NWO angle before it got run into the ground
- Sting in the rafters
- Cruiserweights being used
- Making use of talent like Benoit, Eddie, Jericho
- It had some big names when WWF lost contracts (Hogan, Hart etc.)

Erm . . is that it? Really, how did it eclipse WWF for so long, what were the good parts of WCW?

At the time it had much higher production values, live every week unlike WWF, it was longer, had a wider variety of wrestling, tons of bigger names, and had a white hot angle in the nWo which was the first time that Hogan was playing a bad guy. Plus I'm sure the 3 minute jumpstart WCW had probably played a bit of a hand.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ultimateforce posted:

I am going though my 1998 Raw tapes, and how real was the Brawl for All? They seem like they were all throwing legit (untrained lovely) boxing punches.

It was 100% shoot.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Davros1 posted:

"Jeff Hardy is a different human being"

Truer words have never been spoken

you're in the wrong thread dude

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

nyratk1 posted:

Was Warrior ever a heel? (except in real life)

when he started out in texas i believe so

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Leaving the nWo with a lifetime victory/comeuppance ratio of 452,765 to 2.

how DID the nwo die in wcw?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

joshtothemaxx posted:

Where did the character of Sting come from? Not the Crow Sting which I assume was just a creation of the xtreme 90's when it became super cool to wear black and be brooding. I'm talking about the idea of a guy with colorful clothing, cool face paint, and a blonde flat-top who sort of acted like a surfer calling himself Sting. Was it just a cool name?

basically he kind of looked like Sting (the rock star) and just added the face paint because that's what he's been doing since he broke into the business with Warrior.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

someone post that list of Meltzer notes during the dying days of wcw

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

Are you asking for the Observer quotes about WCW? With facts about the show?

yeah that big list of dates, with such gems as

[August, 1999]
*Sid powerbombed La Parka on a bag of popcorn

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

It's been in the Rules Thread

like anyone reads that

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

quote:

Quote #192

"When Bischoff goes heel as company President, he's going to have a black woman bodybuilder and two midgets as part of his entourage" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 6, 1999
Did this ever happen?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pneub posted:

Does anyone do an Inverted Chokeslam?

Morishima

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I've noticed on smackdown (just recently started catching it when I can on hulu) that whenever someone connects with a chair (or for example Mike Knox with the steel stairs) or something of that sort.. and even sometimes with top rope moves they freeze frame right before impact and then just skip forward without ever showing the end result. On a free show like Smackdown is there a reason they're editing the replays like that? It's pretty annoying :(

It's a direct rip of the Canadian/British version, they're not allowed to show weaponry or man-on-woman violence.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rush Hour Renegade posted:

All of this talk about WCW in here reminded me of something. Did they ever have an Ultimate Warrior rip-off? I seem to remember seeing this on WCW Saturday Night in the mid-90's. I remember Warrior himself coming in for the oWn but I think they had some guy doing a similar gimmick that never went anywhere.

Yup, The Renegade, who was pushed as shameless a ripoff as a ripoff can be pushed, even getting the TV Title. Then WCW signed the REAL Warrior, and having no need for the imposter, WCW shitcanned him and this depressed the guy so much he killed himself shortly after.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Fallon posted:

I think batista has kicked out of it too

And Cena will at WM27

I think they would give Cena the streak.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Did'nt Hogan eventualy lose that match though thanks to interference from Flair?

yeah, he lost after a tombstone on a steel chair.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

chazburgr posted:

I wonder if Bruce Buffer is for hire. I find him a lot more fun and interesting than Michael

it took him years to realize royce = hoyce.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

Royce Gracie fight once in UFC during Bruce Buffer's tenure..

yeah cuz he's not a relevant figure in the history of mma at all

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

I don't remember seeing Bruce Buffer talk about Royce Gracie that often.
his job is to introduce fighters, he should at least know how to pronounce their names.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bonesquid posted:

Why do a lot of people here hate Cena? He's good on the mic, he's a good worker, and he seems like a pretty nice guy in real life. Am I missing something?

its not that we hate cena just when his booking gets stale. we voted him as our favorite wrestler of the year in 07

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

How often throughout the history of wrestling has there been a good feud for the title that wasn't about the title itself?

al snow/big boss man/pepper

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

FishBulb posted:

Everything must be corrected, regardless of its merit, what else is there to do on this forum other than nitpick minor errors and show off your vast encyclopedic knowledge of wrestling lore?

go outside and play kickball

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Does anyone think there's any chance of the WWE releasing a complete Starrcade collection like they did with some of the WWE Pay Per Views?

.0587%

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Meat Recital posted:

What's the story behind Cryme Tyme getting released in 2007? Something happened in their last match with Cade and Murdoch, there was a botched finish, possibly involving a referee, but I haven't been able to find a really good report on it.

basically Cryme Tyme and Cade&Murdoch got into an argument backstage, and to rib them, Cade and Murdoch got Cryme Tyme counted out to mess with the finish. Cryme Tyme, for some retarded reason (I guess to send the crowd home happy or something), gave the referee their finisher (Which he was not trained to take) and threw the ref's belt into the crowd. They were on thin ice for their attitude backstage as it was, so they ended up getting released.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The Croc posted:

They had the last laugh though as they're now in the WWE and cade/murdoch are wrestling for ham sandwiches**

**They may actually be getting money for there wrestling

edit: actually was the reason cade was released ever made public? I just heard he had a fit or something on a plane and was gone like the same week.

nobody knows for sure, but JR's blog insinuated it was drug related.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

apsouthern posted:

Weird question maybe, but for the folks that have attended WWE house shows - are they not usually in arenas.

I found this picture on a random image feed, and as far as I can see it's Ziggler vs Morrison in what appears to be a Chikara-size venue, rather than the usual WWE-size arena. Can anyone cast any light on this? I thought it might have been something like OVW or FCW but the turnbuckle pads have the WWE logo on them...

most of the time they use arenas, but in really remote places like central montana or poo poo, they use sports clubs and other similar venues.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Professor Funk posted:

This may be a really dumb question, I'm not sure, but here it goes.

Every time there is a really close two count, I find myself wondering what would happen if the ref accidentally, very noticeably, counted to three, or if a performer messed up and didn't kick up in time. Have there been any matches where something like that has happened? What was the crowd reaction like?

even if they accidentally hit 3, they can just say it was 2. It's very rare something like that happens, the only time I can remember it happening was the Hardy/Morrison fiasco last year.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I believe that also happened on an overseas house show, which caused the Womens' Title to switch hands twice in that tour.

This is less a case of an accident and more doing it on purpose to make women's house shows seem special

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Dissolusion posted:

May not be that wrestling related, but it is used here all the drat time and I'm oblivious to it.

Where did "the crowd went/is going banana (no s)" come from?

WCW Dusty-ism

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Semiru posted:

I have a question - why does Shawn Michaels wear chaps? Is it a legacy of his original "sexy boy" gimmick? Is it his trademark?

It strikes me as strange that in an industry where tights are the norm and baggy pants are a rarity (I assume due to mobility, body parts not getting caught, etc) that Michaels would not only wear the pants, but essentially two pairs since the chaps are over another pair?

Notable exception: the Hardyz wear baggy pants, but they're hardly known for their mat-wrestling technique.

mostly its probably to hide his skinny rear end legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

DominatedOhSix posted:

if the dude is a jap,

woah bro