Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

FishBulb posted:

No its a dumb name, its like 1 letter off from a famous baseball player

INSTANT SUPERSTAR WITH THAT

That was the point. Meltzer said at the time that Brian Gerwitz gave him the name since Gerwitz was a big Lenny Dykstra fan. They also wanted to slowly build him up as a main event heel (which they thought would've happened around last year) but welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

You know, I've been wondering what happened to dragging your opponent into position if you have a top rope finisher? The opponent gets knocked down like halfway across the ring and has to squirm into position now (well, for awhile anyway). It just looks really dumb and takes me right out of the match.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anyhow, are there any openly, actually gay wrestlers active out there? I know there's Kanyon and I think Gerald Brisco (I know one of the stooges, and when I have to guess I'm going to default to the guy called "Gerald")

Is Kanyon gay? I thought he said at some point that it was a publicity stunt and I get the impression he goes back and forth on it.

And there's Men's Teioh who's legit gay. Danshoku Dino's gimmick is an over-the-top parody of him I believe. Dino himself is straight, though, I think.

Orlando Jordan's bi.

Suben fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 7, 2010

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Something I've all of a sudden started wondering. Is there a more useless wrestler than Ed Leslie? I'm sure there are probably a bunch in some poo poo indy fed in rural Ohio or wherever but for the sake of discussion, keep it to guys who have worked for the bigger companies (WWE, WCW, ECW, TNA, ROH I guess).

I can not seriously remember or think of a good match he's ever had. He's had a thousand gimmicks and none of the (except maybe Brutus Beefcake for a bit in the '80s?) were ever over or good. The guy is basically around because he's BFFs with Hogan.

Most anybody else, even guys like Bob Holly, had SOMETHING going for them at one point or another. I can't think of a single thing for Ed Leslie though. The only guys that even come close for me are, like, Sylvan Grenier, Orlando Jordan, Maven, etc.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah, it's not like MVP's losing streak where they're doing it to "test" him or whatever but don't have any actual angles or plans for him. He's lost due to things that are mostly outside of his control, has put up gutsy, underdog performances that the crowd gets behind and is feuding with one of the biggest heels in the company who's seemingly insane grudge is the reason Bryan hasn't won.

It's a losing streak but it's being done in a way that's supposed to make him look like a star.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I would love to see Kobashi wrestle Undertaker and I'm not entirely certain why, I just want to see them beating the poo poo out of each other until some form of concrete wall is built between them to stop them.

I had pretty much this exact same thought on Monday for no goddamn reason. After the Swagger/Undertaker match I just kind of thought "You know what'd be awesome? Undertaker vs. Kobashi or Undertaker vs. Sasaki."

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

So after the bit in the TNA thread about how WWE has kind of a generic look for it's women, I was wondering whose idea was the Diva Search? I'd assume Laurinaitis had a big part in it's creation because that seems like the type of thing he'd go for.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Wojtek posted:

I think it would be awesome for some new comer to come and cost some guy an important match, then disappear for 2-5 years and return to build a career.

You could pull it off with just having some masked guy do it, then when someone gets popular have them claim they went back in time when it comes time for their fued.

Brett Dibiase already has half of that covered.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

Dropping the gay part of the gimmick happened in 1997.

BookDust was in 2002.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

So since his name came up in the indy thread I was wondering, when/how did Dan Maff come back from being "blackballed" by the indy scene? And was it ever revealed what happened between him and Homicide that led to the whole thing?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

El Axo Grande posted:

Hey guys, I was wondering, do you have any birthdays that match the birthdays of wrestlers?

El Samurai. :cool:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

So I was wondering, has there ever been anyone who's gimmick is that they're such a generic, crowd pandering, old school style babyface that fans hate them? Not like a Kurt Angle/whatever style where they go on about positive things in a condescending manner but like what happened to Lucky Cannon on NXT but done intentionally.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Writer Cath posted:

Rocky Maivia.

Was that the point? I thought it was just a case of the crowd turning on him because he was generic, then he got injured, then joined the Nation of Domination when he came back. Not any effort on the part of the bookers to make him a heel via being an overly generic face.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not exactly sure I follow, the one where Shelton cut a stupidly racist promo on a startled Yoshi and got the crowd to cheer happily for Yoshi as he started kicking the poo poo out of Shelton?

The crowd cheered for the pin sure but throughout the whole three or four minutes beforehand while Shelton was making racist jokes and gestures, the crowd was laughing and absolutely eating it up. It was pretty embarassing.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

So for some reason this has been bugging me for awhile and seeing Barry Horrowitz's name kind of brought it back up.

Back in the early part of the 2000s, there used to be an indy fed that would be shown on Friday nights on Sunshine Network (so this is probably something someone from Florida would be able to answer). I remember it because Horowitz was one of the top heels in the promotion and I THINK might've been the champion. The one thing I distinctly remember is that he was feuding with Scoot Andrews and there was a video of him attacking Andrews in a parking lot that'd get shown approximately 50 times an episode.

Does anyone actually remember this and what the name of the promotion was called?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

Wiki indicates you're thinking about Future of Wrestling. Horowitz and Andrews both competed for it, and Horowitz was a two-time Hardcore Champion. It also apparently featured Low-Ki and MVP before they were relevant.

Actually, looking through Horowitz's wiki (no clue why I didn't think of that before reading your post) I think it might be Championship Wrestling from Florida since he was apparently the NWA Florida Heavyweight Champion and the time period of the revival (2002) sounds about right.

Edit: Or not, looking around more I got this from OWW.

quote:

2002: Barry Harrowitz main evented for the Florida Wrestling Association on the Sunshine Network..

So that's probably the answer.

Suben fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 9, 2010

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Epico is Orlando Colon, the cousin of Primo and Carlito.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Nobody's mentioned Maryse as the Gobbledy Gooker yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtSY7T9ZXoI

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Let's not forget Big Show's run as Showkishi, Fat Bastard and the Showster.

And Shownan the Barbarian.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

What he didn't tell say is that the check was for $-95,000. Jericho just never realized it.

This reminds me of something I read once (maybe in the whole sleaze list so it could be fake?) that when WCW had action figures, it was set up so that if someone bought a Jericho or whatever lower carder figure it'd actually register as a sale of a figure of Hogan and other guys like that thus loving the lower carders out of royalties.

On the flipside, I heard that in one of the two pack figures it was Cena and Funaki of all people. Apparently Cena insisted that Funaki's figure get that spot because it'd mean more money for Funaki.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I think when I first kind of got into wrestling Jake the Snake was a heel so combine that with my dumb fear of snakes and I basically hated Jake. I remember the cobra biting Macho Man thing freaking me out when I was like 6.

Suben fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 6, 2011

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Someone on THE BOARD~! sent in a question to a Youshoot interview (I think Maria's may have been the first to talk about Batista penis) about the size of Batista's dick. It's become A Thing.

Didn't the Maria shoot also include someone asking her how good Punk was in bed? Or something very similar, at least.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Weren't fans in general starting to get sick of him? I thought I remember hearing that by the time he had the match at SummerSlam with Lesnar the crowd had pretty much turned on him.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

So what's the point of having clipped matches on DVD releases and such? Puro/Joshi stuff seems to be especially bad with it from what I can gather. Is it to shorten the running time because of space issues or something? Either way, it's pretty annoying to try and find a match only to find out it seemingly only exists in clipped form.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

The Rumble match was the one with the Stumblebomb '03 right?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

From pages back and a couple of days ago, but...

skyliner posted:

I just discovered that Edge lives in my town.

Does anyone else have wrestlers living near them?

Jamie Noble lives in Melbourne, FL which isn't far from where I live (only a few miles). I've never actually seen him around though.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

So what are some examples of wrestlers screwing up pushes? Not like Jackson Andrews or Mason Ryan where they're brought up too early and it's realized they made a mistake but rather the wrestler runs their mouth/some other idiotic thing and fucks themselves over.

I know of the whole "Luger bragging about winning the WWF Title" story but I can't remember if that actually happened or if it's just an urban legend. The other one that immediately pops into mind is Sasuke being intended to win the Light Heavyweight Title but bragging about it to the Japanese media and saying that he'd only defend the belt in Japan and would never drop it in the WWF which caused him to be fired and WWF ending their working relationship with M-Pro. Although they did sign TAKA and brought in the rest of Kaientai (minus Kaz Hayashi) later on.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Oh and on the subject of guys who wrestled under the influence, Road Dogg kept coming to shows and performing while coked up to the point where, I believe, he was offered to either go to rehab or he could quit.

That was the end of Road Dogg in the WWE.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Man, how did I forget Regal in 2008 and RVD and Kendrick's love of weed? Kennedy too due to ruining his potential push as Vince's bastard son by getting suspended for steroids at the same time as Regal (or close to it) and then coming back for what looked to be a big face run and dropping Orton wrong.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

You mean wrestlers screwing up their own pushes?

I was always sad that Sean O'Haire never got to run with his devil gimmick but that was mostly about Vince/Piper stupidity.

I thought the story was that they tried running the gimmick at house shows and O'Haire kept corpsing while delivering promos which is why they dropped it and put him with Piper. So yeah, O'Haire kind of counts too.

And as far as corpsing goes, London grinning his way out of the WWE was something that slipped my mind too although he wasn't really getting any sort of push.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I thought THE SECRET was that Hornswoggle was really Finlay's son. Or am I combining two things?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The (dumb) explanation was that he wanted to see how the world, his employees and his family reacted to his death.

Given how the Formerly Creative podcasts portray him, this is probably something the actual Vince would do.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Sue Denim posted:

What exactly happened these three times? I know one is the steroid bust and that one was about a potentially bad botch with Orton but I have no clue about the other and have only ever heard Kennedy interviewed about being future endeavoured, from the way he explained the situation it sounded like it wasn't the whole story.

Wow, when was this? I wasn't watching from 2002 - 2008 and this sounds like the one thing that happened that I'm really sorry I missed.

The first one was loving his shoulder up like right before he was probably going to get the WHC which, granted, wasn't really him screwing up. The other two are the steroid botch right before (again, probably) being revealed as Vince's illegitimate son and the third was dropping Orton wrong which led to Orton bitching and getting him fired right when it looked like he was in line for a big face push.

As for the Regal deal, here was no GM for Raw at the time and so they had a battle royal to determine who would become GM. Sandman appeared to have won but right as he was celebrating, Regal (who had been lurking on the outside and hadn't been officially eliminated) snuck back in and threw him over becoming GM. He started going mad with power which only got worse after he won the King of the Ring tournament a few months later and it looked like he was being set up as a main event heel. However like right after winning he got busted with steroids and was suspended so to write him off he lost a "loser is fired" match against Kennedy and that was the end of William Regal's main event push.

On one hand it would've been great seeing Regal as a main event heel but since it didn't pan out and ended early I'm more pissed it deprived us of Sandman as Raw GM.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

One big downside for Cena is that he has some loving godawful Edge-esque offense in terms of stuff looking completely soft and not even coming convincingly close to looking like it should hurt the opponent. His, STF, fisherman suplex and shoulder block especially are really bad.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

WWE Creative writes more than any other person on television, really. There's no off-season. It does seem the travel is excessive, though.

It's really a bit of both. They're expected to basically make the WWE their entire lives and I remember more than one guy mentioning stories of getting called up in the middle of vacations or days off and that by the time you leave it's kind of weird because you've basically spent however long completely buried in that world.

At the same time, though, everything they do is subject to the whims of Vince, Stephanie, Dunn and the like so you could probably spend a ton of time doing something or getting something for this guy and then it's decided from hire up that you're going to do this instead. I don't think it's largely ceremonial and as much of a heat shield but they do make for a convenient scapegoat for fans to toss criticism at. Although undoubtedly plenty of writers have come up with plenty of bad ideas that probably somehow managed to see the light of day.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

savinhill posted:

Was Daffney ever in WWE after WCW was bought out? I think she could have done well in WWE back when they actually gave their Divas personalities as she managed to be entertaining in David Flair WCW segments and had the cute goth girl image.

She was signed to a developmental deal in 2003 and worked as a manager down in OVW for a few months until she was released. In one of Dave Lagana's podcasts, he's talking with Dave Prazak and Allison Danger and they get into the attractiveness of female wrestlers and such. Lagana gives an anecdote about how Vince pretty much has this one, narrow view of what constitutes an attractive woman and that since he didn't understand the whole goth thing at all he had no idea what people saw in Daffney.

Daffney actually retired for a few years right after she was released and if you believe any of the sleaze stuff, it was a combination of getting released by the WWE and CM Punk cheating on her (with Traci Brooks, I think is how the story goes) that lead to her retiring.

Suben fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 28, 2011

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Plus, Daffney has multiple tiny top hats. Which WWE Diva is occupying the tiny top hat niche: NONE OF THEM.

Just think, she could've been managing Skip Sheffield as Team Tiny Hats.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

whatsabattle posted:

Even Shawn Stasiak, who was previously fired by the WWF for being a loving weirdo creeper was given stuff to do.

This is from pages back but what's the story on this? I don't think I've ever heard it.

apsouthern posted:

I can offer you the match where the ladder lost the Ironman Heavymetalweight Championship to Cocolo a miniature dachshund

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAn4xWV5jJE

I love this video. A dog pinning a ladder set to a song by the band apart is great every time.

Suben fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 8, 2011

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Miz/Bryan matches were good. Miz/R-Truth had a surprisingly good random PPV match last year, too (Fatal 4-Way?).

Truth and Miz have had a couple of fun TV matches on Raw too, especially the first one where Truth won the United States championship which had him busting out some pretty awesome suplex stunners and spider germans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

So what are some examples of a wrestler being paired with a valet (or really any man and woman being paired together for an angle) which turned into an actual relationship? Benoit and Woman is obviously one, Beulah and Tommy Dreamer too I think.