Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Has anyone viewed the Guest Booker series and can give me a review on them? Any or all really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

projecthalaxy posted:

What is, in your opinion, the best, most crystalline example of WWE's 'Face in peril' type tag match style? Are there other accepted tag match styles/formulas out there?

Adrian Adonis and Dick Murdoch vs. Tatsumi Fujinami and Antonio Inoki from the 1984 MSG Tag League Round Robin.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dr Tran posted:

Were there any WCW-only shows/events made after WWF acquired it?

They claimed to not want to do anything until they had television.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DannoMack posted:

Was the intention ever to actually let Shane run WCW as a separate entity? It seems like it would have made sense to do it that way...

There was definitely intention.

WWF first tried to get someone under the Viacom umbrella to give them a two hour timeslot for WCW. They couldn't get it because they already took up a ton of programming.

Next, they tried to request Monday Night Raw becoming Monday Nitro while Smackdown! is the WWF brand. That was refused.

The next one was a little weirder. Someone else can fill the details, because I know I'm hazy on this, but I believe they were told they could get a show if they cut an hour out of Smackdown! and/or cut out an XFL broadcast and Vince balked at both.

Unfortunately, nobody in the WWF was savvy enough at the time to consider WCW as an internet only show until they found TV. I think once the XFL crashed that Viacom would have been more willing to add more WWF programming, even if it was under the WCW banner. My opinion has always been that the WCW purchase would have been more successful if XFL didn't happen at the same time.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

projecthalaxy posted:

History buffs:
Was there an equivalent term to being the Jannetty before the Rockers broke up?

Well, there was the Brisco's. Jack trained Jerry and would win World Championships and such before going back to tag with his retarded, less talented brother. Everyone knew Jerry was the weak link, but he wasn't a Janetty.

There was really no popular term for it, but there were other examples. Rock and Roll Express was mentioned.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Meat Recital posted:

Is Wendi Richter deserving of a Hall of Fame induction? It doesn't seem as if she was around very along, but my knowledge of 1980s women's wrestling is limited. Is Vince just trying to bury the hatchet? (See also Hart, Bret.)

First of all, let's be fair: there is absolutely zero criteria for a Hall of Fame induction.

That said, it was Wendi Richter, not Hulk Hogan, who was the biggest star of the "Rock n' Wrestling" connection with MTV. Hogan was the biggest star in the company but when it came to the MTV connection, it was Wendi Richter. Her title win against Moolah (according to Wikipedia) was the biggest ratings MTV had ever had up to that point. When they had her drop the belt to "The Spider Lady", which was just Moolah in a screwjob, it killed Women's wrestling up until they tried to bring it back with Alundra Blaze (Yeah, Rockin Robin was the last Champion, but nobody gave a poo poo after Richter got canned).

She's the first WWE female wrestler to be a draw, so yeah, I think that deserves a spot in the WWE Hall of Fame.

Mad Reverend Rad posted:

I would think that a wrestler would have a going rate but how does one charge the same for showing up at a 500+ Ring of Honor show and a 100-200 Chikara/PWG show? I'm curious for those on this board who have worked in this business, if they can divulge a little bit?

Some guys will take cuts for working for smaller promotions, some won't. Some guys will take less for promotions near his hometown but anything that's out of his way he'll take on extra for travel and hotel. When I worked for an independent promotion in Windsor, Ontario when BCW was on hiatus, there were a few guys who would only take half of their usual pay while Johnny Devine, who at the time lived in Windsor and wasn't getting booked very much, refused to budge from his $250. It's 100% acceptable, but him bitching about not getting booked much when we couldn't afford to book him at $250 really wasn't. Anyway, yeah.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 20, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mad Reverend Rad posted:

Huh. 250 for Johnny Devine. That's very interesting. I would assume that the average going rate would be less than half that? Like, seventy-five to a hundred? Or is that overshooting it?

I'm not entirely sure of the "average" rate. It's really all over the board. I'm pretty sure Johnny, as a former TNA Superstar, was asking for half of his TNA rate. I'm 99% sure Chris Sabin cost us $500 because he was a TNA Superstar.

Cody Deaner, prior to his stint in TNA, was asking for $75. That was with him having to travel from Mississauga to Windsor. A lot of the Mississauga (or BSE guys) were asking around $75. Local guys would ask between $25 and $50. I think Tyson Dux gave us like a 40% discount or something.

Now, this is an Ontario indy. It could be very different somewhere else. I think Sinn/Kizarny cost us $125 to $150.

Female wrestlers are a completely different issue. They get paid *more* than men because they serve the double purpose as eye candy and a wrestler. Our most successful show would have made us profit but because the booker ran an 6 woman battle royale/scramble and each woman cost us over $100, the match alone put us in the red.

Mad Reverend Rad posted:

I know that Indy wrestlers don't make a lot of money (ergo the necessary merch sales.) It's also interesting to see how much money it would take to just get the talent, let alone rental fees.

I remember that Awfulmania ran a price tag of three grand, and that got Jim Neidhart.

If you want to run a show under $1,000, you can do it. It's just going to look that way as well. We were running in a bar bi-monthly with a host of Border City Wrestling guys and were running it pretty shoddy. The venue was free (they couldn't draw bands on Sundays so they wanted wrestling to bring in 100 people), the ring should have been free but since Scott D'Amore's ring never fit in the bar, we had to rent out a ring. That cost us around $400 and we always stiffed the guy.

The truth is, guys getting on TNA means they can charge more. However, I'm pretty sure guys make less in the Northeastern Indies because of the over-saturation in the market. They can live in say Philly or Jersey and work 12 shows a month, and while making less per show, they work more and eventually make more. That's just a guess.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WeaselWeaz posted:

False. Cyndi Lauper was the biggest star in the company when it came to the MTV connection. Richter was in the right place at the right time, any average woman worker who wasn't ugly could have taken her place as long as you had Lauper.

True, but it doesn't change the fact she drew with her. You need a wrestler to make it work and Richter was the wrestler. Could any wrestler have taken Roddy Piper's place in the feud against Mr. T?

WeaselWeaz posted:

Again, false, Lauper and Albano were the draws. The fact that Lauper isn't in the Hall of Fame is pretty stupid, actually.

I agree with that. With the WWE officially opening up a Celebrity wing I'm sure it's in due time.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

battlemonk posted:

Lone Rogue—since you seem to be active in this thread right now, I want to ask you about BCW. I think you should be able to e-mail me through my profile.

It says email is disabled. If you cannot ask it here, just toss me an email: owner@lonerogue.com

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Trollologist posted:

How does one go about getting involved in the creative side of wrestling (i.e. writing and gimmicks and the like)? Do you apply to work for local indies and work your way up or what?

For about a year I got to work in creative for a small indy fed. The guys running it spent years being ring crew guys and tossing ideas to Scott D'Amore. When BCW went on hiatus they were allowed to "book in the territory" their own promotion and because I was one of the smarter fans/staff guys, I got to be a part of the booking meetings. They were also done at my house a few times.

Of course, when BCW returned I was back to pretty much being nobody, but I still got to experience booking for a wrestling promotion.

For the WWE, their writers are a combination of some of the greatest minds in the wrestling industry and a combination of failed television writers. Everyone fears Vince McMahon. Steve Corino once did a shoot (Can't find the youtube clip) where he was asked to try out as a writer for the WWE and his storylines were trashed because he didn't write every single word for the wrestlers and most of his stories were wrestling based. So yeah, having experience in television is more than just an asset, because as Kendrick and London say in their recent shoot, it's a television show about wrestling, not a wrestling show on television.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It may have been asked before - but what is the opinion on how the WWE would change if Vince passed away? If I understand right, Stephanie and Triple H would run the place - so would things change or would they more or less stay how they are?

I have to imagine that there would be at least a few changes to the product that is put out there without Vince being able to veto everything.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Vince outlived Trips and Steph.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

AkumaHokoru posted:

Honestly I doubt it would change that much...the pg rating would definitely explode though. steph has had some of the more radical ideas. and triple H isnt as obsessed with body builders as vince is. so we might see something that looks more like the attitude era.

Actually, I could see HHH trying to turn it into JCP. Cue the McMahon grave rolling.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DannoMack posted:

Why are Canadian crowds bizarro crowds?

Pretty much, because Canada doesn't always follow status quo. Our audiences will sometimes decide to cheer who we want to cheer (especially Canadian talent) and we also tend to be smart (much like Philly crowds, but not with as much history).

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Save Russian Jews posted:

unless you think "smart" means "tremendous assholes," you are thinking of the wrong Philly.

EDIT: the people booed santa claus man

Well, being smart does mean you're usually at least a little bit of an rear end in a top hat. People here hate on children's entertainment every week because it annoys them. I agree with them. We're all assholes.

DannoMack posted:

I chalked it up to smarkiness for the most part, but the reception Hogan got at Wrestlemania X8 was extremely unsmarky.

Also, why are Canadian tastes all generally the same, by which I mean what makes the majority of a Canadian audience decide to feel the opposite of how the bookers want them to feel?

I can't exactly speak for all of Canada, but I think we're against anything we perceive as "American". For example, Diamond Dallas Page got huge heat in Canada because I guess people saw him as some southern redneck trash gently caress. I always liked DDP so I couldn't understand my brethren for booing him in Canada, but again, I think it was because DDP looked like trailer trash from Mobile or Gainsville.

Then again, Hogan is amazingly American. Again, who loving knows. I honestly think X-8 was an isolated incident because just about every story from everyone I talked to who was at SkyDome who went with their dad says they went with their dad because their dad saw Hogan at WMVII and wanted their son to see him live at a Wrestlemania. It was pure nostalgia.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

tzirean posted:

I doubt Vince cares if you're badmouthing him or his company on-air, in-character. Christian's always been a consummate professional outside the ring, and I don't remember him ever saying anything stronger than a general "I disagreed with their direction for me" in interviews.

Nothing makes Vince happier than seeing a guy who badmouthed him come crawling back to the company.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This kind of baseless nonsense about Vince McMahon/Triple H/Whoever drives me nuts. You have no evidence of this at all and are using an example in which, even if the statement were true, it would not apply.

WWE Spin: Vince is very forgiving and is always willing to do business
Truth: Vince McMahon loves to see the people who disagreed with him or were ever against him come to him for a job

Are you telling me that if you were pretty much the king of the wrestling business, if some guy left the company to prove they could do better or constantly called you poo poo ended up having to call you for a job, you wouldn't be laughing inside and loving every moment of it? You wouldn't hire them just to make them choke on their words? I know I would. I don't blame Vince for the attitude. I'd be the very same way.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

There's more than enough fuel here to ridicule and/or hate him forever, it's not like anything needs to be straight-up fabricated.

I... don't hate him for it. I wasn't being sarcastic. I'd do the very same thing. Maybe you didn't get that since you just love to chase down my posts more.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

reality_groove posted:

It was part of Eric Bischoff's 'Evolution' of Raw which included bringing back the world heavyweight title. At that time Raw and Smackdown were casually fueding so when a brand did something, the reason given was always 'ratings'/'to beat Smackdown'.

I still feel the WWE really dropped the ball on the feud between Raw and Smackdown!. It was like creative wanted their job to be as easy as possible. If they set up actual "Raw/Smackdown! contract" lengths that you could read on the WWE.com website and the PBP would mention them from time to time ("While Bubba Ray Dudley is certainly doing well for himself here on Raw, one must wonder if his partner D-Von might want to come back to Raw soon. His contract with Smackdown! ends in September and working with Bubba could be at the top of his priorities. What is it going to take for Stephanie to convince him otherwise?") as well as build up actual trades. It was an opportunity for the WWE to bring in the "Hardcore Sports Fan" aspect to pro wrestling. I know people who barely watch hockey or football but spend every waking hour talking about trades, speculation and contracts on message boards. WWE could have tapped into it but were far too lazy.

It also would have given a good reason for a young guy to debut on a certain show. "Smackdown! used one of their draft picks to bring up the young John Cena. Raw must be furious for giving that pick away."

I'm rambling, but yeah. Me and my friends used to always talk about how cool it would have been and how it would have made a lot more sense, but again, booker laziness.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
WarGames would certainly be a good idea for the WWE to steal. Same with BattleBowl. Well, maybe not BattleBowl. For some reason a lot of people have a difficulty following the extremely simple rules.

1. Every wrestler has to be eliminated twice
2. Once eliminated from first ring, goto second ring. Last man standing stays for a breather.
3. Once eliminated from second ring, you are done.
4. Winner of second ring faces winner of first ring to determine the winner.
5. It's that simple you stupid fucks.

I honestly liked the BattleBowl more than the Royal Rumble, but WCW dropped it pretty fast due to stupid people.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

oldpainless posted:

So, does the winner of the first ring have to be pinned twice by the winner of the 2nd ring?

No, the prize for winning the first ring is that you get to wait and relax. It's a bye into the final showdown, basically.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I guess having jobbers around was one of the reasons feuds seemed to slow build better in the past. That or I'm just nostalgic for the days when matches and belts really mattered.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Blame Bischoff for that one. The Monday Night Wars saw jobbers basically disappear.

WCW had such a huge roster, they could use anyone they felt wasn't going to make anything for themselves as a jobber. They pretty much cycled these guys on WCW Saturday Night and never had to worry much about them. Around 1995, WCW and the WWF both still used jobbers quite a bit. I'd say around 1997 you pretty much never saw them.

There have been instances of jobbers coming back. That failed tag team ECW had with Trent Barretta and Caylen Croft primarily fought local tag teams. Jimmy Jacobs played a jobber to get his rear end kicked by Eddy Guerrero. Basically, ECW tried to bring them back due to a thin roster.

Truthfully, any guy in the FCW Development that they don't believe is a potential breakout star should be used as a jobber. Guys like Tyler Reks, Vance Archer, Barretta, Croft, Curt Hawkins, Kaval (lol), etc. Just use them as regular job guys like the Eighties had.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

sportsgenius86 posted:

It couldn't have hurt anything, but I doubt it would've made a real difference at all.

Hunter would have squashed some WCW guys. Pretty much it.

I do like the idea of HHH leading WCW, though. That's his stuff.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rathen posted:

I honestly can't work out if Necro is polite and respectful backstage like he was in the Wrestler. I doubt it, from the drinking stories and the fact that he's a psychopath, but it's a theory that entertains me.

Here's my experience with Necro (me and my friend were driving him to a Stranglehold show in Toronto):

- I didn't know it was him because he had glasses on and his hair up
- He decided to buy a "Strong beer" at the LCBO and couldn't finish it
- We briefly talked politics when he was smoking weed with everyone else
- He proceeded to have a retarded as gently caress hardcore match and walked on glass in his bare loving feet against a guy who was pretty much Steve Blackman named Dynamite GT (I think that's what it was.)
- Necro beat him with a roll-up.

So yeah, I'd say he is a pretty normal guy until he steps in the ring or clouds his judgment with alcohol. Except nothing over 5%. You loving Americans are such pussies with your beer...

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Someone needs to explain the internet to Jim.

He sent it to Taylor to his TNA email address ("from your email address to the attention of TNA's talent coordinator, Terry Taylor at his TNA email address"). TNA might have been scanning for words in everyone's emails and found Cornette's. Bischoff and Hogan could have it done to look for people backstabbing TNA from the inside.

Him sending that email to Taylor in his TNA address... what an idiot.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Umbra Dubium posted:

I really think someone should get "I hate Vince Russo. I despise Vince Russo. I want Vince Russo to die. If I could figure out a way to murder him without going to prison, I would consider it the greatest accomplishment of my life." as their custom title.

I want it on a t-shirt.

A pink t-shirt.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WeaselWeaz posted:

Cornette knows what he was doing

Really? Are you sure?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CombineThresher posted:

by throwing powder in his face, hitting him with a roll of quarters, then suffocating him with an ether-soaked rag.

You forgot "bludgeoned by a tennis racket"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jerusalem posted:

Was it ever confirmed outside of speculation that Kennedy was supposed to be Vince's son in that storyline?

If I remember correctly, they referenced it by having Kennedy come out and say he was Vince's son while the family scoffed at him for even trying to make the claim.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Good examples of throwaway pushes would be Al Snow, Val Venis and British Bulldog in 2000 against The Rock.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gaz-L posted:

There is something to be said for it, at least in the sense of being a crucible. A guy like Punk, who connects with the people and who refuses to let depushes damage his confidence is much more likely to have long-term prospects than, say, Carlito, who just stopped trying.

Even Punk had a de-push when they put him in the Tag division after he lost the WWE Title. There may have been one before he won the World Title where people proclaimed him in the doghouse, but I remember people really got angry for him no longer being in the Title picture when he became Tag Champ. I'd consider that a test to see how he took it.

What's interesting about what Shane said is that if you read Bret's book, you can see this happened with a lot of guys in the company. Yokozuna is a perfect example. Bret on the other hand arguably was the first guy who got the "de-push and see how you react" but it was a different time and era so it was treated differently. Going from the World Title scene and headlining major house shows to wrestling Hakushi and Jerry Lawler in "Kiss my Foot" matches would be treated as a major de-push today.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I always pushed La Parka in EWR 1998 Scenarios with WCW :3:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
You know what David Otunga was known as on "I Love New York 2"?

Punk.

Maybe when he officially debuts and goes on Smackdown!, he can proclaim himself NY Punk.

It'd be deliciously bad.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Spikeguy posted:

I also hear a lot of people hating on the current WWE stuff and it made me wonder, when was there a wrestling product that you could point to and say that's how it's done?

1997 WCW until Starrcade '97

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

dusty udder smoker posted:

happened around the middle of 2008, and basically vince decided raw will be kid oriented. the no blood thing is really disruptive towards matches, but personally i got no problem with the other stuff.

John Cena pushed for it and quite a few people in the company were saying it was time to attract a younger fanbase to grow with the company again.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jerusalem posted:

I dislike that they'll interrupt matches not involving the Undertaker to patch up even tiny little accidental cuts, but I'm more than happy to see the back of bladejobs and unprotected head shots and I don't think anyone should be sad to see them gone.

I have quite a few friends bitching about the ban of chair shots to the head and no more blade jobs.

They act as though pro wrestling is getting censored and the product they once loved is now being ripped of what made it "real".

It would be good to add that at least one of these guys is currently training to be a pro wrestler.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TheOneTrueKing posted:

While technically the ban is on "unprotected" chair shots to the head, it really means no chair shots to the head at all ever again. I'm going to miss the one man conchairto.

It's banned with a fine involved.

Meaning if two guys feel their feud needs an unprotected head shot to put it to the next level, they'll take the fine and do it.

Trust me, this isn't the last you'll see of headshots. Just the last of headshots for no good reason.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Spikeguy posted:

How much truth is there to the rumor that Vince told Jericho that he was the worst champion of all time during his first undisputed run?

I have never heard this before.

Besides, if anyone owns that title, its Diesel.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WeaselWeaz posted:

Probably the next strongest of the Japanese after Inoki. However, it's a big drop. Inoki did business with Vince Jr. and Sr. Muta worked for WCW.

I'd actually say the next strongest Japanese wrestler is either Baba or Chosu.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Kentucky Shark posted:

The Savage/Crush match was under weirder rules where falls counted anywhere and the person who was pinned had one minute to get back to the ring.

And it was loving fantastic.

After reading the Bret book, I have a feeling Vince McMahon didn't hate Savage for something ridiculous like having sex with Steph, but it was more that he wanted to keep him on WWF payroll as an "Ambassador" but refused to let him wrestle. Vince was a complete idiot not allowing Savage to be the veteran of the older generation. WWF could have really used Savage in main events in the mid 90s. It'd be like if Vince kept Michaels hired since 2002 but refused to ever let him work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WeaselWeaz posted:

Putting Savage in the main event would have been counterproductive. He was already getting old and they were trying to build the company around younger stars.

I guess HBK vs. Taker was counter-productive?

Not only that, he was still a draw. You're telling me people wouldn't have been fine with Macho vs. Hart?