Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Jamie Kellner was responsible not only for the demise of WCW but the cancellation of Animaniacs, Freakazoid, Pinky and the Brain and more. He is an evil evil man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The answer to dealing with low and midcard talent is not to make a smaller fed where they're main eventers. There would also be the constant awareness that no big names would be appearing.

I dunno, I just don't think it fits WWE's business style at all, there aren't enough beneifts for them to sink cash into it.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I found Rock/Earl Hebner vs DX a guilty pleasure. Didn't it end with like, Big Show, Rikishi, Jericho and the Dudleys running in in Hebner's behalf? Man, I need to see if I can find that.

Technically Sylvan Grenier was the most recent heel ref angle.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

The WWE should still do somthing to honor him. Him, Crash Holly, and any talent that worked for the WWE and died.

I don't think even WWE has space for all their dead workers. I mean, it would be a LONG list.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Judakel posted:

On a serious note:, Kanyon was one of the better wrestlers out there. Unfortunately he hosed guys and had to go.

Well, I'd say it's not that he was gay, but that he went around whining that he was being held down due to homophobia.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Question: how many times has WWE rehashed the Montreal Screwjob?

Off the top of my head I can think of

Rock/Mankind Survivor Series

Rock/Hogan II No Way Out

Punk/Undertaker Breaking Point

I'm guessing I'm missing some?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I think it was Hurricane, pulling things out of HHH's rear end or something?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

That was the Maestro right? I remember him feuding with Ernest Miller about whether Miller could bring James Brown to WCW. Then James Brown showed up out of the blue on PPV and everyone danced.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Also, after Austin turned heel at WMX-7, which was a few months before the Invasion started. Then, when it did start, Austin turned face again. But, by the end, he was in the Alliance for some reason. Can someone fill me in on the details for this?

So, Austin was a heel after WM X7. He ended up turning into a goofy heel who would hang around with Vince and Kurt Angle backstage and sing songs. Since the WWF was being invaded by Alliance wrestlers, Vince wanted the old Stone Cold back who would stunner anyone who looked at him the wrong way. Stone Cold was upset by this and left, only to return and kick the Alliance's asses and set himself up as the leader of the WWF faction going into InVasion.

At InVasion, Austin turned on WWF and helped the Alliance win by dropping Booker T on top of Kurt Angle. I can't remember the exact reason he gave for the swerve but he immediately became the shining light of the Alliance and the whole faction revolved around him. There was a Steve Austin thank you night and whatnot. Over time he got increasingly paranoid and as well as fending off WWF wrestlers like Angle, he would attack guys like RVD and Tazz.

When the Alliance storyline ended, Vince turned heel and alligned with Kurt Angle while Steve Austin kind of turned face and alligned with a newly debuting Ric Flair.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Which is the best Money in the Bank ladder match?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

They tried to make Goldberg their own wrestler by changing his entrance and attire and making him talk far more than necessary.

All the crowd wanted to see was walk-spear-jackhammer.

It took a few weeks for them to cotton on to this and by then it was too late.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Cryme Time?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Does anyone have the collection of SCSA/HHH/Jericho/Benoit promos and matches from that time period? I vaguely remember someone talking about collecting them together but that might be my faulty memory.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

That's awesome, I remember him showing up in TNA as part of SEX back in the weekly PPV days and it makes sense that he's doing stand-up now because he was charismatic and funny as hell. If he was a few inches taller he would have probably been a big name in the business.

Was it Natural Born Thrillers he managed? I remember him telling opponenets they were S.O.L.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

If Wrestlehut came full circle, at least clean up. Geez.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Yeah, but there was a great story told where Austin had to trust a team led by Shawn Michaels of all people to beat Team Bischoff and Shawn had to try and fight off a 3 on 1 handicap.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

apsouthern posted:

After watching Raw this week, have there been many other multi team tag matches with those kind of rules? Usually they're more "tornado tag"-type matches; or the ones where you have 2 men in the ring, and anyone can be tagged in (like the one at Wrestlemania XX)

I can't think of any, WWE tend to be careful to keep only two guys legal in the ring despite how many teams there are.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Did lance storm ever wrestle any comedy matches?

I swear he danced once, perhaps with Too Cool or something. I swear he did something goofy at some point. Not sure about matches though.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Althought it's wielded strangely, sledgehammer still beats tennis racket.

I'm suprised no-one's used a plastic retractable knife. Stabbings = ratings.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Whats the song on that Summer of Love video stickied at the top of the forum?

Has there ever been a Welsh professional wrestler? I want a UK stable.

What does the timekeeper actually do?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Thanks!

The timekeepers just sits at ringside and rings the bell? I think I have a new career to pursue.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

He'll probably want the new John Cena pj's in a different colour scheme that come out in three months time too.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I think "You can't see me" is more a throwback to his earlier gimmick. Much like pumping up his sneakers. And his throwback jerseys. Were also throwbacks.

Throwback.

Mind you his other catchphrase is "The champ is hurr", so not a great selection by any means. I love how he tries to awkwardly get it in occasionally even when not the champ.

Much like the NAO's intro speil when they weren't tag champs.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Captain Strange posted:

3 pages late, but when did the V1 era end? Was there ever any dirtsheet rumours or anything on why it did? Is it just Matt Hardy's desperate desire to be a serious, bitter, angry character and not a silly wrestler? Has there ever been an attempt at V2? I miss enjoyable Matt Hardy

Edit: Also "clicka-clicka-click ... click-click ..." was the best pre-intro intro ever.

It kind of petered out for no reason. According to Wikipedia he disbanded the V1 group one week on Smackdown. He moved to Raw to be able to travel with Lita who had just recovered from neck surgery. This was just before the whole Edge thing.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

We need to make a list of things wrestlers claim to have innovated.It would be a very long list. A lot of it would be Hogan.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I remember Jason Sensation being pulled out to commentary and HBK asking him to do impressions of various wrestlers, including Owen Hart. I believe Owen was in the ring at the time. However, this was probably the start of the angle and not his debut.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I think Vince has always wanted to see if they could bring their PPV audience to a different night, perhaps so it didn't clash with other sports/events? This Tuesday in Texas was another example of a weeknight PPV.

I assume they also wanted to try and make Taboo Tuesday more 'unique' than it already was.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

He wrestled a few matches but was gone so quickly no-one remembers. If there was a "gets hastily re-signed for no reason in the future" pool, he would be near the top.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Isn't he quite injury-prone?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

It's certainly a match where story-telling covers for lack of actual wrestling. It's aged quite badly, particualrly with the proliforation of HiaC matches and people jumping off high things.

That said, it has a vertain rare aura of importance and excitement which is hard to replicate. Foley's table bump has to be one of the most repeatedly used clips in any WWE video or montage.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

When was the last time we had high profile face vs face and heel vs heel matches on the same PPV?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

At the Royal Rumble, what was the music Layla/Piggy James came out to? I've heard it before but I don't know where from.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I remember a really weird moment, I think during the Vince/Trish angle. For reason Vince was out of the arena and called Trish or someone to find out how things are. One of his questions was "How's Essa Rios?". I'm not sure why that stuck with me.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Here's the thing though. We remember these blade jobs because they pretty much went wrong. There is such a thing as too much blood, it can take away from the story being told turning "Holy poo poo, X is getting beaten to a pulp" to "Holy poo poo, X might die here".

Normal blading is not memorable. That's the problem.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

This one is pretty good too. I miss wrestling being mainstream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j65DpagyhI&feature=related

Ah, I remember back in the days when you could show a grown man assaulting a child in front of his parents to sell a soft drink.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The attitude reputation also kept away some advertisers I think. That said, most PPVs now seem to be sponsored by the National Guard so I have no idea what's going on.

Anyway, a question: I just noticed that Backlash 2002 had Undertaker vs Stone Cold. What was the story behind this match, I honestly can't recall anything about it which seems strange given their high profiles. I'm guessing this was just before Taker got the title and Austin left?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

It was part of Eric Bischoff's 'Evolution' of Raw which included bringing back the world heavyweight title. At that time Raw and Smackdown were casually fueding so when a brand did something, the reason given was always 'ratings'/'to beat Smackdown'.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

Good examples of throwaway pushes would be Al Snow, Val Venis and British Bulldog in 2000 against The Rock.

1999?

Sometimes throwaway pushes can by dry runs or litmus tests for moving guys up the card.

In other words a Small Move that leads on to Bigger Things.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Jewellers posted:

Why does Jericho have 'lion' in the name of some of his moves? Leftovers from some old gimmick?

Jericho's Mexican monicer was Corazón de León, which he took with him to Japan and then America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Theshby posted:

Anything where you land straight down on your coccyx is going to mess you up in the long run. Even super-smart Hogan hosed himself up good that way.

Tangential point, is anyone a totally smart worker? Is there anybody that didn't do anything at all that will mess them up in the long run?

The Rock comes to mind.