Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

"One of Ultimo Dragon's students from Naucalpan was brought in for a tryout. He was given the name 'Tam Pong' in someone's idea of a practical joke"

That student was CIMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

BigRed0427 posted:

Speaking of the Undertaker, What was he like before he was the Undertaker?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViNwvQAxeUc

His WCW debut. Note who introduces him.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

grody but still def posted:

you know looking back, the DX vs Owen feud was some good stuff

Owens entire blackhart run was great up until the nugget promo. It even lead to one of my fave little details in the tag match at the Febuary In Your House. Austin is looking to tag someone and locks eyes with Owen, for a second he hesistates remembering that Owen broke his neck, before saying 'gently caress it' and tagging out. The two work together for like 20 seconds, and I marked like crazy.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Axissillian posted:

So here is a question, how many times on wrestling have their been actual depictions of attempted murder. Not someone almost killing someone in the ring, but in the storyline someone performing an act backstage that served no purpose other than to legitimately try and kill someone else.

I can think of Stone Cold getting hit by the car, and the Undertaker and Paul Bearer trying to embalm Stone Cold alive.

Undertaker killed Paul Bearer via concrete.

NWO drove a truck into an ambulence containing the rock.

Edit: Also,

The outsiders ramming the Steiners car off the high way.
Steve Austin using a crane to destroy the car HHH was in at Survior Series.
Someone blowing up Vince's limo.

Skinty McEdger fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 20, 2009

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

weekly font posted:

Didn't Hulk Hogan knock the Giant off the roof of an arena?

That was ok though. The giant was alive for the main event an hour later.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Cena got stabbed in a nightclub by Carlitos bodyguard. Cena recovered.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

What the? I'm watching the Vintage Collection and it's Billy Kidman vs Shane Helms on Smackdown but with the WCW logo plastered all over it with Arn Anderson and Scott Hudson on commentary. How long did they have the WCW branded Smackdown?

One match. That match. That was the show after Booker T and Buff Bagwell stunk up the main event on Raw. The next week they took the angle in a different direction.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

The giving away money thing was at WrestleMania in a $10,000 Bodyslam Challenge against Big John Studd (who was managed by Heenan).

This got me thinking: Andre and Studd were involved in two matches together at Wrestlemanias. The first time Andre was the face and Studd the heel, the second (where Studd was the guest ref) the roles were reversed. Were there any other pairs of wrestlers who faced each other at Mania in both situations?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

ColeM posted:

That's what I hear, but what was the storyline? Details, please?

This actually hurts my head to think about. Kane was due to have a title match against HHH at the PPV. In the build up to the match HHH revealed that he knew a secret about Kane's past that he would reveal and there was nothing Kane could do about it. In the main event of a Raw he announced it.

CRZ raw report 7/10/02 posted:

"Kane, I promised you that before this night was over, your life would never be the same. You said this is the happiest you've ever been in your life, huh? Well unfortunately, some people always can't be that happy. ["rear end hole!"] Lemme ask you a question, Kane - how happy is Katie Fick? Yeah, that's right - I know, Kane. I know it all. Ten years ago...you killed her. That's right, Kane. You...are a murderer." Closeup on Kane - RAW Zone Credits - WW logo - goodbye.

Next week kane revealed his secret to the world.

CRZ raw report 14/10/02 posted:

"Katie Vick was a friend o' mine, and Katie Vick is dead. But I didn't kill her. It was an accident, and I am NOT a murderer! See, Katie and I were friends about ten years ago, back when I first started wrestling; in fact, she came to my first match and she was probably the only one that cared when I was gettin' beat up. I cared about her, too. One night Katie and I, uh - we went to a party and Katie had too much to drink. So I decided that I should drive her home. I wasn't real familiar with a stick shift, but Katie insisted that we take her car, ah - it was dark...the road was slick 'cause it was raining and a animal jumped, jumped right out in front of us, and uh...I swerved...swerved to uh, to avoid it, and the car spun out of control and went off the road, and... I broke my arm, but Katie was, uh...Katie was killed instantly. But it was an accident!! But it's somethin' that I have to live with, and...something that I've thought about every day since. So, the only thing that I have left to say is what I said to Katie's parents. I'm sorry." TRIPLE H is out without entrance. "Oh, boo hoo, Kane. Boo hoo. You've got me all choked up with your touching story, Kane. But since you're out here baring your soul, why don't you tell the world the whole truth? Why don't you tell the world how, when the people from that party were questioned, they all said that you were drinking, too, Kane? Why don't you tell everybody how, when the police got to the accident scene, there were empty beer cans in the car and all around the crime scene. And more importantly, Kane, why don't you explain to the world how, when doctors did the autopsy on Katie Vick's body, the doctors found *your* semen? That's right, Kane...oh, Katie Vick was a whole lot more than just a 'friend' to you, wasn't she, Kane? The fact is you loved Katie Vick. You were *madly* in love with Katie Vick. The problem was, Katie Vick LIKED you - she didn't love you, Kane. Katie didn't share your 'special' feelings that you had. Come on, Kane, honestly, who can blame her? Look at you. Who could realistically love a burnt-up freak like you?" Tori? "Now, Kane...I know that you weren't charged with murder, I know you weren't even charged with manslaughter. But Kane, facts are facts." Crowd has grown weary and starts chanting (presumably "rear end in a top hat" in Quebecois French). "And the fact is...Kane, the fact is that all this points to you. You know it, I know it, the whole world knows it. YOU - KILLED - KATIE - VICK. But Kane, the question I have is...on that night, did you...force Katie Vick to have sex with you while she was alive....or did you just wait, and do it to her when she was dead?" Zoom in on both men...and fade out.

This lead to next weeks Raw and HHH's video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHB4RtdpQE

And that was pretty much the end of it as next week they tried to sweep it under the carpet.

Edit: How could I forget. The next week HHH brought out a coffin to the arena with "Katie Vick" in it (a sex doll). He then proceeded to cut a ten minute promo bad mouthing anyone who thought the angle was tasteless.

Skinty McEdger fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 26, 2009

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

This never happened.

Chris Jericho beating the poo poo out of the Rock at the end of the survior series match after being eliminated? Yup that happened.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Yes, Madusa.

Who won it by kissing her opponent who was so shocked by the occurance that he flopped to the mat where he was covered for 3, all the time the idiot announcers saying 'he lost the title, but he won what was truely important.'

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

One of the strangest things is that by all accounts the best heels are more often than not the nicest guys. The bigger the babyface the more likely they are to be a dick away from the scenes. Bret Hart talks about it in his DVD suggesting that heels have an outlet for all their frustrations in the ring, whereas a good guy has to constantly pretend to be nice regardless of how they feel.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

The 1.8 was for the October 14th show which had the following card.

onlineworldofwrestling posted:

Vader def Phinneas I. Godwinn, Jake "The Snake" Roberts def Jerry "The King" Lawler (Roberts came to the ring and tricked Lawler by faking being drunk), Freddie Joe Floyd (Tracy Smothers) def Hunter Hearst Helmsley by Countout (Mr. Perfect came down and stole HHH's valet), Farooq def Alex "The Pug" Porteau (Sunny joined Jim Ross & Kevin Kelly on commentary), Shawn Michaels w/Jose Lothario def Steve Austin by DQ.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Sue Denim posted:

Can anyone explain to me how someone as good looking as Cody Rhodes is related to the rest of the Rhodes?

Dusty wasn't the only one to dine with Kings and Queens if you know what I mean.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have the strangest feeling that everyone who was involved with Wrestlemania 1 will eventually end up in the hall of fame.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

DannoMack posted:

Also, why are Canadian tastes all generally the same, by which I mean what makes the majority of a Canadian audience decide to feel the opposite of how the bookers want them to feel?

Blame the Hart Foundation angle. The Harts were babyfaces in Canada and hated in the US. I suspect it just stuck.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

ChampRamp posted:

Well, Christian came back to WWE

Christian worked a date for the WWE he didn't have to, didn't hold them up for money and avoided trashing them after he left. He was pretty much the model employee on his way out.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

CVagts posted:

I'm pretty sure the Elimination Chamber, in kayfabe, was Bischoff's creation. I don't know who actually came up with it.

It was apparently Arn Andersons idea. He was pitching wargames but Vince seemed uneasy with the idea of using an iconic WCW gimmick. So Anderson was told to come up with a modern development of the idea. The story goes that he was sitting with Patterson and I think Steamboat when the idea of the chambers came up.

Of wargames, HHH is a massive mark for those matches and has brought up in numerous interviews he regrets never being involved in one.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Surely step one of any style rule for a website which wants to have high quality feature type articles is to ensure that the author doesn't butcher the English language.

The simple English wiki at least manages to just give the attendences, the results of the matches and anything of significant note without bombarding the reader with the mad rantings of a sperglord.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

The wrestlemania 16 dvd came with a great feature on the triple threat Euro/IC title match. Benoit, Angle and Jericho all gave a seperate commentary track with their insights into the spots, and while a lot of it went over the same ground it was interesting to hear how they put the match together and how one spot could seem fantastic to one guy but terrible to another.

The more features like this they do the better.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

What about bananas up one's rear end for the purposes of sexual gratification?

Why do you think he switched to shampoo bottles? Alledgedly.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Kofi is pretty much a heel turn or a brand switch away from getting a big push again. If anything his run against Orton was more a gatekeeper push where they try to see how well he could do against a bigger name. They used to use Benoit for this role, so its a sign of faith in Ortons ability as much as anything now.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Shane McMahon did an interview a few years back where he talked about what he saw as going wrong with Lesnar, and how he burned out so quickly. Basically he said that Brock never had a down peroid outside of a few weeks, where he wasn't being pushed as a big star and so never had the opportunity to be tested to how much he wanted it. The depush is a huge part of WWE man management now. You survive it with your attitude intact and you will get the push you deserve.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Rey was heel as part of the filthy animals in WCW. Except really they weren't heels and were over as faces with the fans regardless of what they did. Bourne was a heel in WSX but never in the WWE.

As a rule the WWE doesn't do flippy heels. When Tajiri was a heel, he tuned down the number of flips he did and more or less removed the handspring elbow from his moveset. The last guy who I can think of who was a high flying heel was probably Kid Kash. Flips normally draw pops and the WWE doesn't like its heels to do anything too flashy.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

JBL is apparently very happily retired. He is doing well for himself with his share portfolio and apparently not missing the traveling at all. During his last few months he was pretty much in constant pain due to a variety of injuries and strains he picked up over his career and he pretty much decided that he didn't want to end up like Eddie.

I miss his commentary, but its always nice to see a guy who can leave the industry with few regrets.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Spikeguy posted:

I also hear a lot of people hating on the current WWE stuff and it made me wonder, when was there a wrestling product that you could point to and say that's how it's done?

WWE 2000. The best year for wrestling TV and the one year where the writing from start to finish was top notch.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Karmine posted:

The Cena/Batista match made me think of something. Didn't you used to have to get a pinfall before the ref would start a ten count in a last man standing match or did I make that up?

Thats a texas deathmatch. Crush/Savage at WMX was fought under those rules, all last man standing matches since then have had the standing ten count from a knockdown.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

heel turn posted:

In the Brian Kendrick & Paul London shoot, they keep bringing up a bearskin rug in Titan Tower. Is there some story surrounding Vince and a bearskin rug that I've missed out on?

It's akin to the casting couch in Hollywood. Theres probably no real truth to it, but London and Kendrick seem convinced sexual favours will get you to the top.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Weight classes were used in British wrestling for years, but that was more down to the manner in which the British style tried to emulate boxing down to the standing ten count for all knockdowns, rounds and multiple pins needed for a win.

Pro wrestling in America for the most part doesn't try to pass itself off as a 'sport' anymore, so weight classes end up just being an idea that would needlessly create barriers to doing what the promotions want to do; tell stories.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

DannoMack posted:

When was the last time The Undertaker was a heel? Corporate Ministry?

After Invasion when he went 'Big Red.'

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

CSammich posted:

I may be imagining this, but I believe they put Boss Man in the main event of RAW on the first night that Russo and Ferrara were booking Nitro. Then they did it again on the night Russo and Bischoff reset WCW. I like to think it was the WWE's way of saying to Russo and WCW "gently caress you, we don't even need to try anymore."

Sadly the main event of the Raw opposite the first Russo and Ferrara show (18th October 99) was the Rock and Sock Connection losing the tag titles to the Hollys. The reboot night is interesting because while Bossman was in the main event tagging with Buchanan against the Rock, Nitro was reduced to 2 hours by that point. The match that went head to head with the main event of the reboot? HHH vs Taka.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Muhammad Hassan is the one that springs to mind.

I'm a dumbass who didn't notice DM Punk's post. Welp.

Skinty McEdger fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 23, 2010

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

I sure hope you mean Karmine :goleft:

Dear lord. Sorry Karmine.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Bischoff admits in his book he was hands off when it came to cruiserweights, only getting involved when he wanted to improve their marketing. The downside to this was his ideas for marketing involved Juvi and Rey losing their masks. Juvi's feud with Jericho was one where no one involved was particularly happy with it, but Jericho is quite open about saying that as this was a case where he was the one not getting shafted he wasn't vocal about his complaints.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

savinhill posted:

Was there a reason besides the general WWF/WCW rivalry that Ferrara and Russo wanted to do this?

Ferrara and Russo clashed a lot with JR in his role as head of talent relations, behind the scenes at WWF. Russo just couldn't understand how someone could be so serious about wrestling.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

And I always heard the Oklahoma thing was a personal animosity that either Ferrara, Russo or both had towards JR from WWE. I don't remember if it was just that JR spoke out against their shittier ideas or what.

The other reason comes down to Russo's attempts to be an on air character. He pushed hard for "Vic Venom" to become the announcer, reasoning that he would be best placed to explain his stories (and not in anyway down to any desire to be a star). JR basically pointed out he was the announcer and that Russo was better suited to something that didn't involve him talking as his voice wasn't quite right. As a result Russo went out of his way to make JR look like poo poo in angles, trying to turn him heel and destroy his credibility.

If I recall correctly theres heat between Michael Cole and Russo as well, as Russo got pissed that Cole was brought in to be developed as the long term successor to JR.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

In regards to the body hair question, I'm sort of curious as to how Dashing Cody Rhodes does it, but now that he's the Phantom of the Squared Circle we're unlikely to get any more grooming tips. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxNqQJ3GVXw

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Suben posted:

Weren't fans in general starting to get sick of him? I thought I remember hearing that by the time he had the match at SummerSlam with Lesnar the crowd had pretty much turned on him.

Everyone knew that was his last match, so the crowd pretty much showed their sense of betrayal at him going on to bigger and better things.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Depends on your definition of big. Smokey Mountain wrestling was pretty big in its territory, but never really expanded due in no small part to its old school product. Memphis was still relatively strong as a territory in no small part due to its working relationship with the WWF. Otherwise most other promotions that set up pretty much collapsed within weeks of their money backer deciding he wanted a piece of the wrestling boom, or never gained exposure due to a lack of big tape trading websites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

For what its worth Kurt Angle claims that Undertaker is the best worker in the business.