Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

There's an awesome scene from How I Met Your Mother involving this same misusage by Robin, unfortunately it's not on Youtube or Hulu though.

"Don't they teach grammar in Canada?"
"They don't. They literally don't."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Edge definitely had the best taste in women.

EDIT: To answer the prior question, Jericho as a one-man tag team, as was speculated for a while, would be an interesting diversion for a month or two. But if he somehow manages to coax heel Punk out of the title picture and into his smarmy grasp they'd make an unbelievable team.

Dr. Ass fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 9, 2009

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Without watching the video I'll assume Batmanuel is right. They did something similar when Dawn Marie flashed the crowd during her feud with Torrie Wilson.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

I seem to hear on occasion that there's a difference between rudos' masks and tecnicos' masks, like if a tecnico turns then he starts wearing a different mask. Are their discerning characteristics between the two? Are there actually "rudo masks" and "tecnico masks"?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Granted, in the case of Shane Storm/STIGMA, not only did he change masks, he changed attire, AND wrestling style. The Stormer was more of the lucha-style contrived armdrag spots and whatnot. STIGMA's pretty much a brawler, and the style suits him a lot better.

Actually, based on what I read about the lucha face/heel dynamic before I asked the question, that seems to be the case. Tecnicos are more flippy and technical (hence the name :smug: ), whereas rudos are much more of brawlers.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Here's a thought: Is Goldberg HOF material? He was a pretty big draw back in his day, and he made at least some sort of a splash in his time in WWE. On the other hand, he was the biggest self-mark this side of Bret Hart, and I'm not really sure what terms he's on with Vince nowadays.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Aren't there rumblings that Wrestlemania might be going back to Toronto in a couple years? If so, perfect time to induct Trish.

How about Yokozuna? Would he at all be considered HOF material or was he just a guy who dominated for a year or two, jumped ship, then ballooned up and died?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Which led to Taker eating the best spinebuster of the past decade courtesy of Arn Anderson.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Didn't the ROH fans chant at Steamboat to gently caress off when he special reffed the Punk-Raven match? What a bunch of pricks. :(

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

TL posted:

Since they were promoting a Submissions Count Anywhere match with DX, and hyping DX as a team not tapping before tonight, I got to thinking: I don't think I've ever seen a tag team match end with a submission before. It seems really counter intuitive to the story of a normal tag match. I'm sure it's happened before, but when?

Back when WWE actually gave a gently caress about submission finishers, guys like Angle, Benoit, and Jericho won with their signature submission moves in tag matches all the time.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

So who do you guys think hAs the best interference music? For me it is a tie between Austin and Big Show. Maybe it is because they have such striking, distictive beginnings, but those two have always been the best for me at:

Wrestler: :words:
*glass breaks* or WWWEEEEEEELLLLLL
Wrestler: aaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Any theme that starts with some sort of urgency is great and works great to let you know some poo poo is going down. I think the point of a good opening theme is something at the beginning to get a big pop when the wrestler comes out, whether at the beginning of a match or in the middle of someone's promo.

In addition to everything else that was named, I think that "You think you know me" and "...KENNEDY!" work great for that kind of stuff.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

And as for the best interruption music, the only winner can be Muhammed Hassan.

This. Totally forgot this.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

The FCC has absolutely nothing to do with cable television.

Reminder that Cena was on Smackdown on UPN for the entirety of his rapper gimmick.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

That's the one question you should never ask if you don't want to see three pages of annoying derails.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Justice Grieves posted:

Bret isn't still mad about the screwjob thing; he went to the Hall of Fame induction.

He didn't want to do it if HBK was there. Michaels left the ceremony during Hart's induction.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Judakel posted:

This thread is like a cauldron of racism. Let's talk about Bret Hart again.

I still don't think so... Bitch!

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

apsouthern posted:

After re-watching the Cena debut match against Kurt Angle today, have there been any other big debuts where the new guy has gone up against an established top star and done well.

The only other I can think of would be someone like Carlito who beat Cena for the US Title. Santino I wouldn't count because of the way the match was won with the inteference from Lashley.

Most guys now like Sheamus seem to mainly be booked against jobbers at first to get them over wins, or go the other way and get booked as underdogs at first.

Glenn Jacobs had been on WWF TV in other capacities before he became Kane, but Kane's debut has to count for something. The motherfucker interfered in the first Hell in a Cell match!

But I think the Great Khali coming out against the Undertaker is probably the most recent example, depending on how "well" you think he's done for himself.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Better tag team title match that week: Austin/Triple H vs. Benoit/Jericho (RAW 5/21/01) or TLC 3 (Smackdown 5/24/01)?

I'm a mark for Benoit's "intensity walk" so I'm gonna go TLC 3.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

LL, your argument is that even though people appear to be quoting a publication that talks about a newspaper ad that was placed AT THE TIME OF SAID PUBLICATION, that it's all been made up and someone just invented this poo poo eleven years ago just because people can't seem to pull up the Observer or the ad itself?

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Edit: This is the promo that setup the match. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i3v9WQoa-0#t=5m41s Before this, I believe Jericho was feuding with Regal. Austin's face sold the moment perfectly. When Jericho interrupted him, Austin had the look of "Does this midcarder not know who the gently caress I am?"

I'm astounded that Jericho was able to get "Shut the hell up" over as a catchphrase :psyduck:

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Most likely separate. I imagine they'll be holding the HoF ceremony in the US Airways Center (where the Suns play) so there's no way they can fit everybody who bought a ticket to WM in addition to all of the WWE's employees and their families and guests.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Vilkata posted:

I could see them doing HoF at the Jobing.com Arena, which is right next door to the University of Phoenix Stadium.

:doh: I know nothing about Arizona sports arenas.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Wait. This whole time we've been hating on Cena's promos because he said "fart juice" in passing during a promo in 2006 when he wasn't even champion?

I hate SA so much sometimes. :ughh:

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

I say Triple H. Cena actually got some good matches out of his and if nothing else, Edge and RVD got their first title reigns in the middle. HHH's did bring us Legacy and it was ridiculously satisfying when Goldberg won it off of him and again when the reign was "ended" at WMXX, but he just got it right back off Orton that summer.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

FishBulb posted:

Higher proffit margin on DX glowsticks/DVDs/books than anything they were selling back then.

DX is one of the few household names WWE has left and they have a pretty decent-sized mainstream following. Their merch sells fairly well from non-WWE sellers.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

I was adding to your point. Not everyone here wants to argue with you, Bulb. :)

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

In WWE, I'd say Randy Orton is well on his way. Big Show, Kane, and Rey Mysterio are guaranteed. I think that guys like Mark Henry, Tommy Dreamer, Christian, William Regal, and Goldust have been around long enough to have spots saved for them. The Hardys are absolutely going to be inducted one day, I imagine after Matt retires or Jeff dies. Whichever comes first.

In TNA I'd say the Dudleys, Mick Foley, Kevin Nash, Scott Steiner (probably the Steiners as a team) and Kurt Angle, if they reestablish ties with WWE at any point. Or after they die. Whichever.

As for people associated with neither, the Rock and Booker T are shoo-ins, and a case can be made for Rob Van Dam.

Dr. Ass fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 18, 2009

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

oldpainless posted:

I hope he wasn't the original choice. I can't believe the writing team sat down, chose Jericho as champ, wrote out his storyline, and then everyone agreed this was good for both Jericho and the WWE.

Chris Jericho, one of the most consistently popular wrestlers in the WWE, who up until then had never held a top belt for longer than three minutes in a reign that wasn't official in the first place? Yeah, terrible idea.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

oldpainless posted:

As a whole, yes. It was terrible. The whole thing was just a loving clusterfuck of a joke and made Jericho look so weak and HHH so dominant, ending his reign was more a mercy-killing than anything else. So, your right. It was terrible.

oldpainless posted:

I meant the whole thing taken altogether. Yeah, Jericho winning initially was a good idea but then what happened with the booking and with Stephanie overshadowing him was God-awful. If what happened was really planned in advance by the booking team, then the whole thing was terrible regardless of Jericho's individual merits. I would rather have had Jericho never be champ and stay over than watch his title reign devalue him and just be an excuse to put over HHH and Stephanie.

You aren't putting blame where blame is due. You're acting like the problem with the angle was the fact that it was Jericho they put the title on, but at the same time you've made it exceedingly clear that the fault lies with the bookers for making Jericho look weak through the usual HHH-centric booking.

Which is true; I'm not acting like he was perfectly booked. But until Triple H became the contender, Jericho was booked well. Like CC said, he was completely different. He was repeatedly going over both the Rock and Austin, and getting increasingly more paranoid. He cut an incredible promo where the Rock was cutting him down like usual until Jericho interrupted him and basically said "NO! I AM SICK OF THIS BULLSHIT. YOU WILL TAKE ME SERIOUSLY, DAMMIT."

The Jericho-Triple H program sucked because of Triple H, not Jericho.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

I think it's pretty much just Taker and Andre. Everyone else either destroyed their own legacy (in Flair's case, he sold it) or still has pools of people that hate them. If it weren't for Bret Hart I'd say HBK is up there, but I think even then his history of drug abuse burned a few bridges.

And if we're going with non-wrestlers, JR and Heenan are at the top of the list.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Atticus Finch posted:

Have they ever explained the kayfabe reason why wrestlers get certain music? Like "Hogan felt this music explained him perfectly" or something much better written.

Probably not, because most of the time the music is related to a guy's gimmick or ethnicity one way or another. CM Punk has Killswitch Engage for obvious reasons, guys like Shelton and Mark Henry have rap music because they're black, Kofi has reggae/dancehall music because he used to be Jamaican, etc. It's hard to come across a gimmickless white guy in today's WWE, so most of the time the entrance music goes without saying.

Brickhouse Betty posted:

You are correct! I don't remember when it started, but I definitely remember Shawn's music having lead "vocals" by Sherri at Royal Rumble '93. Same song, same lyrics, diff'rent larynx.

I think I remember him entering to female vocals in his entrance theme for his WMX rematch with Razor at SummerSlam '95, though I could be mistaken.

Dr. Ass fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 22, 2009

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Veg posted:

The last few have had Undertaker matches. That's my cue to drain the lizard.

WM25: Best match of the year
WM24: Main event, second best match of the card
WM23: Best match of the card
WM22: Carried Mark Henry to an acceptable match
WM21: Arguably the best match of the card
WMXX: Return to Deadman gimmick, last Paul Bearer sighting in WWE

Your Undertaker-hate trolling is full of holes. You were better when you tried incorporating the word "tits" into every post you made.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

I have never seen anyone argue that. Angle-Michaels and MITB1 were much better.

I hear so many people gushing over it that you'd think it was up there. I don't disagree with you though.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Perry posted:

Edit: Wait a second Jerry Lawler, the guy who is now a commentator, can do a piledriver? Like, in a booked scenario today?! Could he even lift someone who's not cruiserweight anymore, let alone do the drop without slipping the shoulders down the knees?

He has the occasional match every now and then, but I'm not really sure how often he still breaks out the piledriver in WWE matches. The major move I see him use in matches normally is the jumping punch from the second rope.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Chop Licker posted:

Won a Super Bowl then became a punchline in the wrestling world.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

ColeM posted:

According to Bret's book anyways. Along with a story of how douchey Scott Hall was to a kid when they were touring Israel.

Bahahahaha, Scott Hall getting drunk in downtown Jerusalem is the greatest mental image I've had in weeks.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

If we're going to look at it from a historical perspective, it's easily between his matches at WMX and WMXXIV. The ladder match with Razor revolutionized the ladder match entirely and the match with Flair (supposedly :smith:) put Flair into retirement. The others were just really, really good matches.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

2 questions: First, when does a clothesline become a lariat

Pretty much what everyone's been saying. A lariat is bendable and usually consists of the guy actually throwing his arm around his opponent as he does it. Clothesline is just running straight at a dude with a straight arm.

JBL's Clothesline From Hell is actually a lariat, and a drat good one at that.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

You have the WMXXIV match to thank for the HBK/Jericho feud last year :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Both Michaels and Taker have a wealth of great WM matches to their names. In Taker's case, most have been in the latter years of his career:

X-8: Awesome
XIX: OK whatever, he was supposed to tag with Nathan Jones
XX: He came back as the Deadman with Paul Bearer. You can't hate that.
21: Awesome
22: Carried Mark Henry to a good casket match
23: Awesome
XXIV: loving awesome
25: Holy loving poo poo

He had some bad ones, sure, but who cares?