Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
What does "do/if you smell what The Rock is cooking" even mean or refer to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
What were the WWF's ratings like around '97-98, around the time of the first D-X incarnation? I was watching youtubes of HBK's documentary and JR speculated that D-X v.2006 was probably as big as they were when they first appeared - which I suspect might be rubbish, but I guess that depends on how many people were watching when they were first hot - especially as it's around the time when the Monday Night Wars were finally turning around a bit for the WWF.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I imagine there are more kids watching now, and with that come more parents willing to buy them lots and lots of D-X branded nonsense. Now whether that weighs more heavily than the greater number of tickets sold (?), and advertising money from higher ratings - solely from D-X's drawing power - is harder to quantify, I think.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

oldpainless posted:

I think Lex Luger fell from grace quite a ways in WWF. He wrestled for the title at WM 10 and by next Wrestlemania he was in a crap tag-team and on his way out.

He was still on the card at Wrestlemania though, so it's not a real fall from grace.

Edit: I don't know if this counts for much, but I remember around 98-99ish, Mankind would be around the top of the card and in title matches, while Cactus Jack would appear on the same episode in unannounced, non-issue midcard matches :psyduck:

Another Edit: Big Boss Man. Main eventing with Hogan in the early 90s, to wrestling mostly on Jakked and Heat by the end of his 2002-2003ish run.

Jetfire fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 16, 2009

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Where did "this is a shoot, brother" come from? Did Hogan actually say that at some point?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
When people refer to "WWE Style" derisively (which is nearly every time you see it) it usually refers to the absence of hardcore or potentially dangerous elements like chair shots to the head, bleeding, pile drivers and spinny-flippy top rope moves - generally for the reasons outlined by Jerusalem.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

There's lots of other styles of wrestling that don't include "hardcore or potentially dangerously elements," and piledrivers and top rope moves don't belong in that list anyway. This is a real bad post.

Pile drivers are generally not used in WWE, and are potentially dangerous in exceptional cases (although how much more than any other move is of course debatable). Top rope moves like the shooting star press are limited to only a few people usually along the lines of one dude's signature move only, although to be fair documentation on that one is sketchy.

My point is that a lot of those things aren't seen in WWE often, and people who slam WWE Style usually point out these details. These people are usually loving morons, of course.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

savinhill posted:

It's not a bunch of slack jawed morons screaming for unprotected chairshots and blood, it's actually people who would just like some more excitement and variety in WWE matches.

I apologize for my fuddled comment earlier on, I was trying to fit in a lot of stuff into a few sentences and it didn't really make sense in the end. That piledriver story from 2000 is new to me, so thanks for that.

What I should have just said is that a lot of comments I've seen regarding "WWE Style" is used by people who basically clamour for chairshots, blood, and whatever they've romanticized the old ECW for representing. It's clearly not the only conversation that revolves around it, and I'll accept my wrong-itude to that.

Although as far as the SSP, I should turn that into a question of my own: is there any real narrative as far as that move in the WWE? The points that I can recall surrounding it are thus:

- Brock nails himself on the head with one at WM19
- Kidman and Paul London both use the SSP at various times in their career
- Kidman injures Chavo with one
- London at some point switches from a SSP to a 450, but still does an SSP-ish move from the mat, and once on the outside of the ring in an eminently gif'ed moment
- Currently the 450 is used by Gabriel, and the SSP by Bourne

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

This Rumble talk made me think of a question: What are the biggest spots missed by the camera during a Rumble? With so much going on in the ring, and the camera needing to get away from the ring for every single entrance, there's bound to be stuff that gets missed, finishers hit, confrontations cut short, even meaningful eliminations. Can you think of some situations like that that are more meaningful than Snitsky hitting his finisher on Kane?

Back in '08, I think, they missed Rey avoiding elimination by stepping on Miz and Morrison's backs. They got it on the replay though, so it wasn't missed entirely.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

Oops, wrong year.

I was honestly just trying to think of a match up that didn't sound anywhere near as impressive as Cody Rhodes vs. Daniel Bryan that got a poo poo ton of more crowd reaction.

Gillberg vs. Christian might have been better.

I was at a Smackdown taping in 2001 in Toronto and Perry Saturn got a raging pop before squashing some jobber.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

triplexpac posted:

In Toronto we always get serious, short, boring dark match main events. I just want them to be silly and goofy for us drat it :(

To be fair, there was that one time Batista gave Tony Chimel a stinkface.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Winner of every "My Dad Can Beat Up Your Dad" argument.

Is his dad Ermac or something?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic (2004) Impregnating Lita

I hope he has a plaque with this on it somewhere in his house.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Going back to Shane v. X-Pac from WM15, I'm almost certain that they had a segment about that match on WWF Confidential around 2000-2001 when most of the people commenting on it basically came to the conclusion of "yeah, that made no sense." Or maybe that was just the conclusion I came to after watching it.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Thauros posted:

Wow, I haven't seen that myself since the original airdate. My first thoughts were how much younger HHH and Taker looked and then I had to consider that that clip is almost 12 years old now, older than the little kids that make up a sizable portion of the current live crowds.

I'm 30 now and the late '90s don't seem nearly that long ago to me.

What struck me was how Vince looked like he could actually move his arms without looking like a rusty robot in need of some WD-40.

Also is that...Mideon wearing a title belt? Wow, that time was just beyond me.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
When did Mankind switch from "demented and deranged" to the goofy Mrs. Foley's baby boy? I started watching around early '99 and seeing the heel work from a few years before was really weird at first.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Criiiiinge, I hope they agreed on that spot before hand and she didn't just decide oh hey I know what would look cool

e: Jesus, there's lots of other clips of her sharpshooter on youtube. She's like the diva Steiner Brothers - the person you dread seeing your name next to on the board.

Melina's best trait in the ring, no joke (well okay go ahead), was that she made submissions look incredibly horrible thanks to her unnatural flexibility. Beth v. Melina in an I Quit match from a few years ago ended with the most brutal...thing/hold ever.

edit: it's at the end of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnvmTEoID4E

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Just want to remind everyone that Debra is Ben Stiller's favorite thing about wrestling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1kAIuX6D-Q

Jarrett's "don't piss me off" shirt is still one of the funniest things to me. Who the hell would wear that in public and what could happen as a result?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Were they under the impression that it wasn't real glass? Or were the easy-breakaway panels on the other side of the stage or something like that? Or, and this is the likeliest to me and also the stupidest, did they just decide to pull that off without telling anyone "hey, Kurt's going to suplex me through these glass panels, make sure they'll collapse thanks"?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Not that it would ever be something truly memorable (i.e. during the actual WWF v. WCW days), but was there ever a D-X v. NWO angle or even a match?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I had seats that were like 10 rows back and I was just astounded by how large he is.

Big Show's almost an optical illusion the first time you see him live. When he walks down the ramp it's like he's in your side-view mirror: he appears several metres closer than he actually is.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Atticus Finch posted:

Creepier yet was when Jericho got a phone call about the events and he figured that it was Benoit that did it. And he was right!

Is that really creepy? Because when news of "family found dead in home, no fire/carbon monoxide poisining/home invasion suspected" comes out the "father kills family, self" is basically the next most common thing - or even more common than at least two of the previously listed items.

Lone Rogue posted:

Benoit was such a terrible promo but today he sounds eloquent and status quo due to just about every WWE talent today adding unnecessary pauses in their promos.

I think every wrestler should have some sort of training in stage performance. It teaches you how to enunciate and use your voice in a way that makes sure the audience can hear you. I don't know how much emphasis trainers put on that aspect of promo work, instead of just "get a character and speak into the mic." CM Punk's promos are really good because you can hear every word he says and he doesn't devolve into the fragmented jibber-jabber we all do in the middle of casual conversation.

Jetfire fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 11, 2012

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I remember Storm being one of WCW's most over heels during his Team Canada run, although how much of that was USA USA USA cheap heat I'm not sure. He was great in his role there, though.

Was WCW still running shows most often in the southern states by that point? I mean, no one couldn't get over as a heel with that gimmick. And the rest of Team Canada was a laughable roster, IIRC.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Minidust posted:

A while ago it seemed like EVERYONE had some sort of sing-along catch phrase. Even if their position on the card didn't really demand it (see Bob "How do ya like me now?" Holly). Was there a deliberate move away from this? Or like a directive from WWE officials to reserve it for a select few active guys?

They definitely overdid it at times, but it fired up the crowd so I'm not sure why they moved away from it. Seems like Miz is the only guy who does it consistently these days.

Part of it probably came from the need to add some sort of "hey I know who this is instantly" by putting it at the beginning of their theme music. It's how we got Ric Flair Woo'ing at the beginning of motherfuckin' Zarathusthra.

It's also what makes any of Rock's promos from '98-99 completely painful. I don't think he said a single thing that wasn't either a catch phrase or a preposition.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
This comes from the WWE Discussion thread but I thought it was more appropriate to ask here: what exactly made Heyman so bad with money in the ECW days? Did he just never realize how much it cost to run the promotion? Did he pocket the money from the gate for himself and tell no one? Why couldn't or wouldn't he pay half (or whatever the number was) his talent?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Havoc904 posted:

I think there were alot of years in the mid 2000s that were alot worse then 2003. Looking back on that midcard from then, it was such a mess. It is amazing how few of their hot prospects from the mid 2000s stayed around. MVP, Mr. Kennedy, Shelton Benjamin, Carlito, Umaga, Bobby Lashley, Elijah Burke, Orlanda Jordan, and quite a few more. All of these guys received a decent amount of air time, but were never anything beyond midcard guys.

Shelton was perfectly fine with being in the midcard. Carlito didn't give a poo poo about giving effort, if every single report ever was true. Lashley looked alright, but wasn't terribly exciting and IIRC he left due to some row between WWE and Kristal.

Burke was a definite underrated talent. Orlando Jordan...well, he sure made some memorable moments in TNA after. And as mentioned before Umaga was awesome. He isn't still around but for entirely different reasons :(

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what's the deal (if any) with the current FYAD title?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

:stare: Oh Nickelodeon, what happened?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Can someone explain the scenario that led to Vince Russo winning the WCW Championship? WWE.com has it on their list of biggest upsets, but it's missing a lot of explanation as to what actually happened.

The best I can gather is:
- in a not-Hell in a Cell match with Booker T, Goldberg somehow spears Russo out of the ring a split-second before Booker walks out the door.
- I read Russo suffered a concussion when he got speared, hitting the guard rail, forcing him to relinquish the title.

What was planned/not planned? Why was Goldberg in the cage? Did any of it make a lick of sense (I'm guessing no)?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Was there ever an explanation for who decided to try to censor RAW's mention of moving to the USA network during their last show on Spike TV? Even for Spike it's hard to imagine someone basically trying to out-carny the WWE live on television.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
So what's the verdict on Abdullah the Butcher and Hep C? I was watching this Global doc about the Ottawa wrestler who said he was infected but I haven't really followed the story other than Billy Graham getting reeallly mad about it.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

LightsGameraAction posted:

I'm currently re-watching Summerslam 2004 and this is one of the smarkiest crowds I think I've ever seen. They have been downright trolling the WWE the entire event, so much so that the commentary has frequently had to address that they're cheering all of the heels and chanting absolute nonsense. I've never seen a crowd smark out this hard before. Is this just how Toronto crowds used to be, or was there some kind of story behind the crowd being so rowdy a la the Lesnar/Goldberg Mania match?

Toronto was the smarkiest crowd for years (hey, I was a part of it) but it mellowed out a lot in the last half of the 00's with more and more younger fans and, I guess, the old Bret heat simmering down.

Summerslam '04 was pretty notable for a few things, most of which happened in the JBL/Undertaker match. The crowd sat on their hands, booed the match, chanted for the Maple Leafs and did the wave instead of pay any attention to the boring as hell match.

A drunk dude took his shirt off, jumped onto JBL's limo which was still on the ramp, and danced on the roof before getting chased off by security. (not necessarily a marker of "smark" but, eh.) It sort of ruined the spot later where Taker would choke-slam JBL through the roof of the limo, since the breakaway roof was clearly broken/weakened beforehand.

The last great smark-off in Toronto was probably Cena/Edge at Unforgiven 2006. Then I attended a show in 2008 and it was mostly kids cheering Jeff Hardy. Not bad in and of itself mind, but sure as heck less interesting.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
All I really remember from the BikerTaker years was him throwing Maven into a popcorn machine and then eating the popcorn.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Demon Hunter posted:

Trish kissed Vinces rear end, what has AJ done recently?

Trish was involved in a McMahon feud storyline that culminated at a Wrestlemania, which I guess is a big deal in this weird world. Also she got to retire (and win a match) in her hometown on a pay-per-view, which from what I gather is a rarity in the biz.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

oldskool posted:

The worst part about Legacy was that the crowd was red-hot for Cody to turn face when Orton & DiBiase were beating up Dusty, and they were red-hot months later for Ted to turn face when Orton & Rhodes were beating up Ted Sr., and WWE refused to pull the trigger on either. They opted to turn Orton face by having him (finally) realize that his blindly loyal followers were incompetent dolts costing him more matches than they were helping him win.

Instead of taking either of two young semi-over heels and turning them into potential mega-faces against the mega-over heel Orton, they turned the mega-over heel Orton into mega-over face Orton and let Cody & Ted flounder as bumbling fools. Cody managed to recover slightly thanks to the mask run & hung on as a midcarder, but Ted's a complete nobody.

I can't help but wonder why they "tried" to pull the trigger with Alex Riley over Miz instead of these.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Speaking of Stone Cold, when did he start calling himself that? The story of how his wife talked about "stone cold tea" is well-known, but when did he start using that nickname on television?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Bard Maddox posted:

This question is from a while ago, but WWE didn't post this video until yesterday:

http://www.wwe.com/videos/bray-wyatt-tells-the-tale-of-sister-abigail-26143801

This is a vast improvement on his previous promos I've seen. It tells a mostly coherent story that you can follow and explains quite a bit about his character - and even about his finisher, a thing he actually does! Far better than his other rambling scripts, which could possibly have been more useful if anyone else took the time to actually deconstruct and/or confront them on the air.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I seem to remember Lawler's "ECW = Extremely Crappy Wrestling" story was based at least somewhat in his actual opinion on the stuff. Maybe he just didn't want much to do with the Hardcore division at all (besides rightfully enjoying the poo poo out of Crash Holly at the PlayPlace).

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
JBL on Sylvain Grenier: "That man is French and Canadian. I double hate that man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
What's the full story, if any, behind the formation of Evolution? Did they just go, "Hey let's start a group to cultivate the two guys we'll make the centre of the company for the next two decades, give or take?" Given the events of the Rumble it's amazing how much stock management, or whoever, still places in Orton and Batista and I'm pretty sure it was all seeded in 2002.