Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Where did the character of Sting come from? Not the Crow Sting which I assume was just a creation of the xtreme 90's when it became super cool to wear black and be brooding. I'm talking about the idea of a guy with colorful clothing, cool face paint, and a blonde flat-top who sort of acted like a surfer calling himself Sting. Was it just a cool name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
When I go back and watch WCW I notice how loving tight the ropes are when compared to the WWE/F. What is the reason for this?

Fake edit: The one wrestling school I went to was run by Jimmy Valiant and the ropes there were tight as gently caress too. But I got no explanation about it.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

That was at Judgment Day in 1998. Here's what Wikipedia says about it:

The Headbangers had met the New Age Outlaws the previous month and after dominating most of the match, won via disqualification when the Road Dogg broke a boombox over Mosh's head.[4] Despite titles not changing hands by disqualification, the Headbangers began to declare themselves champions, coming to the ring with toy replica belts and parodying New Age Outlaws pre-match speeches.

The NAO took on the Headbangers and Mark Henry & D-Lo (from the Nation) at Survivor Series and won.

I remember this and was so sad. I was the biggest Headbangers mark on the planet :(

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

What happened to the fantasy football thread? Am I blind or retarded?

All I wanna do is brag about being in first in WooWooWoo...

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

oldpainless posted:

You know what has always annoyed the poo poo out of me for six years now? How the effectiveness of someone in the ring changes so widely in such a short amount of time.

This is what annoys me:
In the middle of 2002, Hollywood Hogan wrestled the Undertaker for the title. It doesn't matter who won, all that matters is both men were portrayed as strong and able to match up against each other. It wasn't some one-sided massacre.

Later, Vince Mcmahon and Hulk Hogan feud and have a match at WM 19. This is approximately 10 months or so after Hogan and Undertaker fought. In this match, Vince is portrayed as equal to Hogan. He is in control of the match for most of it and is able to overpower Hogan on several occasions during the match.

Even later, Mcmahon and Undertaker feud at SS 03. This is approximately 6 months after WM 19 and 18 months after Hogan and Taker fought. But in this match, Vince is totally unable to stand against Taker. Taker massacres Vince and beats his rear end the whole match. The first punch busts Vince open and he bleeds all over the place. Vince has no chance against Taker

So how the gently caress does the relationship between these three men make any sense? Taker and Hogan are equal, Vince and Hogan are equal, but Taker is miles ahead of Vince??? I know wrestling is fake and I shouldnt get annoyed but this has bothered the piss outta me for a while. And now Im done

This is an example of what's bothering me about the current deal with Sheamus. Dude loses to Goldust, then he can knock out John Cena multiple times? what

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

How was it explained that Taker went from big evil deadman to biker? I had stopped watching by this point. I remember flipping over to some show and seeing Taker on a bike and I thought it was the dumbest poo poo ever at the time.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I don't know where this would go on the forum but it has GOT to be shared.

For those of you that don't know, Jimmy Valiant is an insane shell of a man now.

But. That doesn't mean he can't make comics.

http://jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/comics.html

There are no words.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

crankdatbatman posted:

Is John Cena one of those babyface super assholes? b/c I got the impression he was a nice guy.

If so what is an rear end in a top hat John Cena story?

Cena seems like a legitimately likeable guy without any douche stories at all.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Would Kofi right now be a good example of a throwaway push? He got a rocket strapped to his rear end against Orton and looked like he was being elevated WAY up the card. He chilled there for a couple of months, and now here he is back to where he was before without any mention of the Orton stuff.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I didn't watch any wrestling at all from like 1999 to 2005.

What were some of the "older" indie high fliers like in this period? Were London and Kendrick tearing up the indie scene in the same way people like Nigel and Danielson were in 2007-8? What about some of the guys that have never been on WWE television like Homicide and Low Ki? I know a lot of these guys were in TNA for various amounts of time, but was that the only place they made their name?

What about some of the more well known cruiserweights from WCW? I know La Parka went to Mexico, Psychosis went to the WWE, etc., but did people like Kidman and Juvi get a fair shake in the WWE? What about Ultimo Dragon?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

No.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/papering

4 : to fill by giving out free passes <paper the theater for opening night>

I hope we're done with this now.

Which is, in effect, paying people to come by giving them a free ticket.

god drat wrestlin done made me dumb. tna is a scourge.

Who is the most likely ROH wrestler to be signed next? Claudio?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Just watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X64B7SK4-XQ

Wow... that match/show actually feels read and full of passion. So different compared to the poo poo show there is now.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

edit: If I've asked this before, forgive me. My memory sucks.

I was drinking with a buddy who grew up on Smoky Mountain Wrestling. I'm trying to figure out this event he's talking about. He says it was so weird and traumatic to a kid that he hasn't watched wrestling since.

Basically all he remembers is there was a wrestler who had a weapon that was sort of a knife on a stick type thing. He was apparently stabbing the hell out of someone in the head while in the ring, only my buddy didn't see any of the actually stabbing because they put big black censor boxes over the action. He swears the action then faded to black, went to commercial, and then when they came back it was like it never happened. Upon questioning him, the name New Jack seemed familiar, so its totally believable.

So what the gently caress is he referencing/remembering?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

We should compile a list of all restaurants owned by or named after wrestlers.

Abdullah the Butcher owns the House of Ribs and Chinese Food in Atlanta, GA (and another in Japan).

Mean Gene apparently lost the copyrights to "Mean Gene" regarding restaurants, so none of those places are his anymore. Apparently its owned by Hot Stuff Foods but I can't find anything at all about it.

JR's place in Oklahoma went under this year.

Bam Bam Bigelow even opened a place :whatthechrist:

fake edit: What the hell have any of you seen this movie? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_Wrestling_Restaurant

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

savinhill posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJFLgY8UgY
In this clip Jimmy Valiant looks like he weighs 120 lbs., how did he get so skinny?
He really looks like he's ready to drop dead.

My understanding is he started doing a ton of meth. After meeting him in person a few times, I can say it's pretty likely that he either is or has been a serious abuser.

I also noticed at his wrestling school there didn't seem to be any weight training equipment at all. Just junk and a ring. I guess drugs plus no real working out results in becoming a walking skeletal legend.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

He's also had hepatitis since the 80s. Have you ever been to his school/museum? I've thought of making the drive, it's only a few hours away but it looks lovely.

It's a waste of time if you're serious but if it's a short drive, go for it. My brother and I have been a couple times. It's mostly sad, but the people are really nice. Plus the lessons are fun as hell if you don't mind getting scammed out of 20 bucks.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Browsing around Wikipedia found me some that haven't been mentioned...

At least wrestled once for WWE, WCW, ECW, and TNA:

Joey Mercury/Matthews
Big Vito
Terry Funk
Scott Hall (2 untelevised matches in ECW supposedly)
Stevie Richards
Psicosis
Jerry Lynn
Juventud Guerrera

Probably several more.

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 27, 2010

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Wasn't he treated like poo poo back stage due to his behavior in WCW or am I thinking of someone else? I also think they should have an intervention with Scott Hall, Jake the Snake and Chyna. Think of the hilarity.

Just let New Jack, Sandman, and Raven sit around and drunkenly provoke them. Then beat the poo poo out of them.

After the US, Japan, and Mexico, which country probably has the biggest love of wrestling? Canada because of the Harts? Maybe the UK?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

What happened to Sid? I thought he was coming back.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Manwithastick posted:

Apologises, let me rephrase my question - "Has New Jack ever had a decent non-squash match?"

I've always taken 5 star to mean "excellent match" - apologises for the confusion

New Jack is one of my favorite wrestlers ever and the answer is "not really." Unless you consider complete clusterfuck, borderline comedy hardcore matches decent. Which I do.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

What about Kozlov before he debuted as a wrestler? Remember when he would just be ringside and talk about how much he loved America and the "double double E"? He got booed like crazy and I was never sure if it was intentional or not.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

I own WWE stock, actually. Quite a bit of it. And I don't get any money from it unless I sell it, which Vince isn't doing. So no, sir. I think maybe you don't understand how owning stock works.

LividLiquid, you are one of my favorite people here, but come on dude.

Content: How big is the WWE getting in India right now? I have Indian friends that will randomly ask me what the Great Khali is up to, so they're definitely gaining SOME cultural relevance.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Moose Bigelow posted:

This may be the only time anyone has ever said Viscera and run in the same sentence.

Does it count if someone said "Viscera" and the "runs" in the same sentence? Cause I'm sure that fat man has eaten some bad spicy food many a time.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Did I just see Mark Henry on the University of Texas sideline?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Where is the best place to get video of specific wrestling episodes or segments from the past 10 years? Many are on youtube or dailymotion, but a whole lot are not. If this is :files: please ignore.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I made a post about 2-3 months ago in another thread about a paper I was writing that (basically) says the WWE is racist as hell. Well, I just presented the paper at an academic conference and it went well. Soon it will be off to the publishers, but I want to share it with WH2K in its early stages to see what you guys think.

How should I go about that?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Just make a thread and post it. Bold some stuff that you think would be interesting discussion points if you're feeling adventurous

EDIT: Or post it in here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3391605&pagenumber=7

Awesome. I'll get on that in a couple of days most likely.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

This is barely wrestling related, so bear with me...

I am trying to find an actual CITED list of old WWE/WCW/Other Wrestling Promotion television ratings. I can find TONS of lists of ratings, but I can't really send off a paper or give a presentation when my citation is "2xZone.com Pro Wrestling Rumors." Any ideas?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I always hated Lashley's pushes. Especially when there were other performers right next to him that were waaaay better on the mic and in the ring (but weren't as jacked), like Umaga or Monty Brown.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Is the closest thing to a dirtsheet-style news site Gerweck?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Can someone please link me to a specific t-shirt? I know it was on threadless at one point, and the image itself appear on reddit a ton. Its the one with the 9 steps that look like a "what to do in case of fire" emergency walkthrough, but the final step have the guy go into a wrestling ring and slam the guy.

I cannot find this drat t-shirt.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

It's sold out, but maybe they'll reprint it. ENJOY

Yessssss thank you. I spent like an hour at work today trying to find it!

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

There's a Scott Hall in the Wayne State medical school, too.

Its gotta be common, there's even one at Dabney S Lancaster Community College.

I went out with a girl for a while whose brother was named Scott Steiner. Even though I never met him, I know the brother isn't THE Scott Steiner... but that didn't stop me from being terrified of a potential meeting.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Thank you for posting this. I kind of forgot about it. Now when my friends say ":hurr: What do you mean Ryback isn't intimidating, Tensai is a big dude, nobody could pick him up like that" then I can point to this and tell them to shut up.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Thanks for posting that chart before more people posted patently untrue things. It would be nice if someone posted the full length article. "Voter Turnout Index" doesn't really mean anything without context, and it would be nice to know exactly what the sample size was for each sport out of the 218,313 surveyed. Also, it would be nice to know if people could report multiple sports.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Thanks!

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

In the same vein of brawl for all, who's the legit toughest guy on the roster today? Who'd win a huge UFC style, wwe only tourney?

I'd probably bet on Reigns or Cesaro.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I remember the rumor was that ECW snitsky had permanently colored his teeth dark brown to better fit his character. That true?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Edit: don't care about pedo Lawler anymore

Fake edit: to get away from goons and pedophiles, what evidence is there that Vince actually still yells in the commentators earpiece? It's become a bit of an assumed trope at this point to excuse Cole et al.

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Mick Foley stopped commentating because he couldn't handle Vince yelling at him, and talks about that on his bio episode on the WWE Network.

It's commonly understood that most of the things you frequently hear on commentary are actually coming out of Vince's mouth.

I know it's commonly understood, but Foley hasn't been around in a while. I'm talking about in the past couple of years, since commentary got universally lovely.