Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

This is more asking for peoples' opinions than a straight answer to something, but I can't really find anywhere else I'd post it without derailing any more topical conversation:

Is a PWInsider subscription worth it? It honestly seems really pricy for a newsletter and some podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'll look into Observer, then. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Endorph posted:

He does, but he rarely uses it.

I think that's why Smackdown is so much more consistent in quality.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Back when it was on UPN and Rey Mysterio was a huge focus, the Smackdown demographics had a lot more children watching than Raw did. I think it's the other way around now.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I thought Low Ki requested his release.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Rusty Shackelford posted:

The question about Will Sasso reminds me of another question I had.

Who is the worst celebrity or "celebrity" to appear on a wrestling show?

I'm nominating Gennifer Flowers and John Wayne Bobbit.

http://youtu.be/CJAfMt20M2Y

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

That clip makes me changry but the worst one is Master P, Anyone from Jersey shore, Chucky, Robocop, David Arqueete, any celebrity that appeared on WCW.

I think I'm biased towards the Dr. Ken and Piven stuff just because it was one of the worst Raw's of all time.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

iCloud Strife posted:

Why did WWE cut Shelton Benjamin?

They didn't have anything for him. His last years in WWE were uneventful and he very much looked like he didn't care anymore.

If you want to see him, watch Ring of Honor. He and Charlie Haas are still tearing it up there.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

If I were to convince someone that wrestling doesn't suck, the last show I would pick to show them is Monday Night Raw.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

LordPants posted:

You see in 2002 you should have been watching Smackdown. :)

And in 2011 you should be watching Smackdown.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

The majority of my friends passionately hate wrestling. I don't really get the point. I mean it's cool if you don't like it and everything, but why take it to such an extreme? I don't like football but I don't go "UGH I loving HATE FOOTBALL, EVERYONE WHO WATCHES IT IS A loving MORON" every time it's mentioned.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Do any kids actually think wrestling is real past the age where they go to preschool? There were always kids (mostly girls) who laughed at the kids who talked all the time about wrestling and how fake it was by elementary school and I honestly can't remember much of preschool but I imagine it was the same.

I can't say. I started watching wrestling around the 5th grade and I knew it wasn't real from the start. I know that young children are very impressionable, but I think they'd have to be exceptionally naive to think it's real past like, age eight or so.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

*Watches dude bleeding out of his forehead* Yeah that's fake blood, it's all just blood capsules

My favorite thing I've ever heard is that the steel chairs are fake. I don't even know how that would work.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

This makes me think about Triple H's sledgehammer. Ask most people and they'll tell you it's fake. Triple H once reported that it's a real sledgehammer and the one time they used a prop sledgehammer so he could actually hit someone with it, it injured them. Since then he just covers his hand on the sledge and hits people, or always misses with a swing.

Was the fake sledge the time he hit Shawn across the back with it?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

LordPants posted:

I've been out of the loop, but with the tour of England did all the English superstars job?

Was Regal on the tour?

There weren't any English superstars on Raw, unless Mason Ryan counts as "close enough" like WWE seems to think. And even then, he didn't job; squashed JTG in like 30 seconds. William Regal hasn't been on Raw or Smackdown in ages, but he apparently worked a house show or two on the tour.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think I knew it was fake for a time before I started watching, but I wasn't clear on the idea- like, were they trying to con people and make us think it was real or what. But- confession time- I saw the infamous "Wrestling Secrets Revealed" TV special or whatever it was called, and that straightened it out for me- "Oh, okay, it's scripted but everyone knows it now and the guys still get hurt some."

You mean this? A classic.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's the one. For a long time I thought that was sort of the official "end of kayfabe", only to discover later that it was a more gradual transition.

I think Beyond the Mat was probably the leading cause of the end of kayfabe.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

We then learned what happened when you take unprotected chair shots.

I'm honestly surprised how many indie workers I still see taking unprotected chair shots.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

LvK posted:

At least one of the wrestlers my dad worked with would score his forehead before the match and put makeup over it, so when someone punched him in the forehead it'd bust open. Never really heard of this practice since but that was my introduction to the concept of blading.

Getting busted open from a punch is the lamest way to get busted open in wrestling.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

Unless it's Harley Race's trick of just punching your eyebrow so hard that it splits open. Terry Funk does that, too.

Well yeah, it's different when it's guys who would legit punch your lights out. I'm talking safe punches that most workers do.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

TL posted:

They've had various angles about guys trying to make weight for the Cruiserweight title

I miss stuff like that. Made it feel more legit.

I'd say bring back the Cruiserweight title, but they already have enough titles that they don't book properly.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

That really would be ideal, wouldn't it? Having the one major champ on both brands on a semi-frequent basis would likely help Smackdown ratings, too.

And I agree with the IC title being on Raw. You'd think they'd keep what is was one of their most prestigious titles on the flagship show.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

I'm pretty sure the US Title is on Raw because Raw is on USA. It's basically a Television Title if you think about it.

But they were on USA for quite some time before the IC and US titles swapped shows.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

LordPants posted:

Crippler Crossface was more over than the LaBell Lock, though.

The LaBell Lock still gets a pretty good crowd reaction, though, all things considered.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Only to have Cole follow him the entire time screaming "NERD, YOU'RE A NERD! WHY YOU WALKING WHEN YOU COULD BE DRIVING, NERD?!"

I can actually imagine Cole showing up randomly in Bryan's everyday life to harass him.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Bocc Kob posted:

Was there a particular time or reason to pinpoint when crowds started going "woooo!" after a chop?

Sort of answered by Wojtek, it's pretty much because Ric Flair popularized chops, and it just sort of stuck. It's one of the few wrestler-specific things that the audience caught onto that I personally like. Now if I see a chop and don't hear a "whooooo!" it's just weird.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Nah, it was before that. There were also large crowds in WWF and WCW doing it at the same time.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe during the Flair/Herd dispute? Or is that too early?

I can't say exactly when, I'm not a wrestling historian by any means. I just know they've been going on pretty much ever since Flair become a big star.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

LordPants posted:

Remember you can't do chops in WWE because Vince doesn't like people WOOOOOOOing.

Wow, you're right. I actually can't remember the last time I've seen a chop in WWE now.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I still love Foley and I will not hear a negative word about the man. :colbert:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Timby posted:

The Hardcore Title in the PG era would be the strangest thing in WWE in quite some time, and that's saying something.

The glorious return of aluminum cookie sheets and golf carts.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Dead Snoopy posted:

I've been looking for the WWE 12 thread & had no luck. Can somebody help my senile self?

I heard that you don't get The Rock in the game unless you pre-order it. I hope that's bullshit.

It's not bullshit. If you want him otherwise, you'll have to buy him as DLC.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Damonic posted:

What other wrestling promotions should I check out? (RoH, TNA, etc) And who should I look out for?

TNA has a wealth of talent held back by horrible booking and piss-poor management, but at least every couple weeks there's usually a good TV main event that's worth watching. A lot of people have unfavorably likened it to WCW in its later years, which is an apt description considering Eric Bischoff, Hogan and Vince Russo are pretty much running the show. It doesn't come highly recommended from me, but it can often be fun to watch in a trainwreck kinda way. Talent to look out for are AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Bully Ray (the next incarnation of Bubba Ray Dudley, doing the best singles work of his career as a top heel), Austin Aries, Bobby Roode, James Storm and "The Pope" D'Angelo Dinero.

If you're looking for pure, no bullshit wrestling and storylines that are grounded and make sense, Ring of Honor is the best thing on TV right now, especially if you enjoy tag team wrestling. The production is very low budget, but each hour-long episode has 2-3 matches and they're almost always good. If you don't get a Sinclair network, you can watch it for free every Thursday on their website if you sign up for a free membership, and on Monday if you subscribe. Talent to look out for are Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, Jimmy Jacobs, Roderick Strong, Jay Lethal, Kevin Steen, El Generico, Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team (Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin) and the Briscoe Brothers (aka Dem Boys).

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Stanford is the play-by-play commentator for the Raw portion of Superstars and once in a blue moon does a backstage interview.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

What the dude above me said. At his absolute peak, Bret was the best wrestler in the world.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

Jinder isn't huge in India. I don't think anybody actually believes that.

Well, WWE might.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yeah, but does the WWE UNIVERSE know that?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I'm still sad they didn't make that his theme as COOHHH.

I was hoping that King of Kings would be his new permanent theme when it first debuted. I'm a huge Motörhead fan, and The Game is good, but man, King of Kings owns so much more.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Wojtek posted:

The only thing that owns about this is the horrible titantron that goes with it.

That stupid cartoony-looking skull with a crooked crown? Yeah, that was dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Dead Snoopy posted:

I just realized that Beefcake is dressed like every heavy metal singer circa 1984.

I dunno, can't say I ever saw Slayer dress like that.