Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Can anyone explain why the popularity of wrestling completely tanked over the past ten years I haven't been watching? I know the late nineties tried to push a more mature product than the action figure friendly days of the early nineties. Did things reach their tipping point, and everybody just became regular dudes in speedos?

How is Ted DiBiase Jr so boring compared to his father who was one of the best heels? Conversely, gotta give credit to the American Dream for raising another good heel in Cody.

Also, anyone know of a good documentary and/or some good matches involving George "The Animal" Steele? He was my moms gym teacher, and I'd love to have something to show her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Someone mentioned JCW several pages back, and I wanted to throw in my two cents. JCW had a benefit at a warehouse in downtown Detroit. The event was called "gently caress Cancer!" and all the proceeds went to a local woman. There was a midget dressed as Eminem, one match went all the way out into the street, and Sabu nearly hit me because there was no guard rails as he and ICP took on three jobbers.

At the Gathering of the Juggalos there was a wedding that got interrupted by some wrestlers who powerbombed the groom through the cake. Nobody saw that coming. Also, they let people have time in the ring and try some moves. Pretty drat cool.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I've never thought of Undertaker as a face before. It's kind of obvious, but I've only ever thought of him as the Undertaker, beyond simple heel/face duality.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Is that the one where they fought in the bathroom? I think that was the first WCW PPV I ever saw.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Wasn't that Vampio vs. Fit Finaly in 2000, or did this happen twice at Uncensored?

I don't know what event it was at, but I'm talking about Benoit and Kevin Sullivan.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

How much did you pay for your ticket? My friend got ringside for $855. My head is still hurting thinking about spending that much for a ticket. That, and he's flying down from Detroit to see it.

Question: Is there an archive somewhere of house shows? I saw Bret Hart vs Psycho Cid in a cage match, and Undertaker vs Mankind at Joe Louis Arena. I was fairly young then, and smoked away most of my memory.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

WWF @ Detroit, MI - Joe Louis Arena - June 29, 1996 (5,930)

WWF World Champion Shawn Michaels defeated Vader via disqualification when Goldust interfered; following the match, Davey Boy Smith, Ahmed Johnson, and Psycho Sid did run-ins

Psycho Sid (sub. for the Ultimate Warrior) pinned Owen Hart with a chokeslam and powerbomb; Owen put up no offense (Sid's return match)

The Undertaker pinned Mankind with a chokeslam and tombstone

I remember being mad that Ultimate Warrior was replaced by some guy I never even heard of. Ended up thinking Sid was pretty cool after he started showing up on Raw. Glad I got to see both of the Rockers (Marty was in a tag match), and a Undertaker/Mankind match.

EDIT: Found out what I was doing fifteen years ago from today.

WWF @ Detroit, MI - Cobo Arena - March 8, 1997 (9,565)

WWF IC Champion Rocky Maivia pinned the Sultan (w/ the Iron Sheik) with a roll up

Hunter Hearst Helmsley pinned Flash Funk with the Pedigree

Goldust pinned Mankind after hitting him with the urn

WWF Tag Team Champions Owen Hart & WWF European Champion Davey Boy Smith defeated Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon when Smith pinned LaFon as Owen held the challenger’s legs down from outside the ring

Ahmed Johnson defeated Vader via disqualification when the Nation interfered

Farooq (w/ the Nation) defeated the Undertaker via disqualification when Taker used a chair; Ahmed Johnson made the save for the Undertaker after the match

WWF World Champion Psycho Sid defeated Bret Hart in a steel cage match by escaping out the door as Hart attempted to escape over the top

EDIT 2: Realized that Stone Cold didn't wrestle at either one, but I remember watching him watch the second event from behind a gate that lead to the back.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 8, 2012

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

balancedbias posted:

The Ultiamte Warrior pinned Papa Shango with a clothesline and splash ***at the time, it was awesome because WARRIOR RULZ YEAAAAAAAH over Shango's voodoo powers he used IN THE MATCH. Hindsight, holy crap was that match bad.

Anyone remember this feud? Papa Shango put a curse on the Ultimate Warrior, and he started bleeding black blood from his head during an interview?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Moose Bigelow posted:

You mean something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?GJoM7V54T-c&t=44s

Oh ho ho! Very sneaky. Is KONY some sort wrestler? Will he be appearing at Wrestlemania?

I used to love the Ultimate Warrior. He was so loving hype, and that's all that mattered back then. Just needed a good gimmick to get you over.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

He wasn't a terrible wrestler, but his gimmick really carried him like many others of that era. It was a simpler time, where all you needed to do was dress up like a security guard or mountie.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

nasboat posted:

I mean, I still hate Hulk Hogan almost as much as I did when I was 17 and wished he would just die, so that part sucks, but otherwise I do tend to mildly enjoy the product on the surface just for the sheer alternative

also I don't watch like 80% of Impact, so...

Let me tell you something, Nasboat: Hulkamania will never die, brother!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Has Johnny Ace and Animal from LOD ever team up or feud? Just found out they're brothers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

I think JCW booked him as the Hornswagglin' Hillbilly a while back - in fact, I think he's on the same JCW tape as a young fat Chris Hero.

I remember him! Is that the same tape with Vanilla Ice getting dollar bills stapled to his face by Abdullah the Butcher, I think? I also remember Fat gently caress Barrel Boy, and ICP not actually being that bad at wrestling.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I think the announce team did a great job of selling Goldberg. I can recall his first three appearences in my head, and I remember the announce team better than the actual match. They made Bill sound like he was going to the NEXT BIG THING for those three minutes he was out there.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

"I don't want to cheer for guys who aren't American."
-Vince Russo (heavily paraphrased)

Sad thing is that it's probably true about a majority of wrestling fans.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Davros1 posted:

It was when she came to the NWA. She came in as this nerdy little fan of Rick Steiner's called Robin Green. It was played as a sweet little schoolyard romance, until the night of their big date, when she showed up all dolled up (and it also had Steiner getting dating advice from Jim Ross!). Then she began accompanying the Steiners to the ring, trying to drive a wedge between them. Missy Hyatt, who was managing the Steiners(!) at the time didn't trust her (because if someone would know about being a manipulative bitch, it'd be Missy), and finally, Robin Green revealed her true colors, having her new team, the masked duo known as Doom, attacked the Steiners, after which she proclaimed herself to be known as Woman, I guess as some statement about women being better than men?

Of course, Doom failed to achieve anything under her and only achieved success after they were forced to unmask and took Teddy Long as their manager.

"I am Woman, hear me roar." Would be my guess.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Frot Lesnar posted:

* Night Of Champions - 9/15/13 - Detroit, MI

How much do tickets to a show like this usually cost? This would make a great birthday present for my friend.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Memento1979 posted:

Mick Foley mentions in his first book that he did a movie called Big Money Hustlas specifically (if memory serves) so he could get an SAG membership and dat sweet sweet insurance.

That's awesome. I used to love that movie when I was a teenager. Here's his scene: http://youtu.be/Kr57tR3n2F8

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Intrusive Thoughts posted:

I had to look this up, found this page, and you are right: ICP have worked in all five major promotions in the modern era of wrestling which is a bizarre achievement for them to have above others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_wrestling_career_of_Insane_Clown_Posse

Who wouldn't want to book ICP? They're not in it for the money, and they show up in their own bus. They love pro wrestling more than any other celebrities.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

Yeah it should be noted, that arena security handles sign policing the majority of the time, and that depending on what venue you're at it varies on what the sign police will let you get away with. Security can be absolute bastards at tapings, often for no more reason than they can be.

So, I told a friend I'd pay his way to Night of Champions this year if he dressed up as the Shockmaster. Would security have a problem with this?

EDIT: Swagger Time! Have a clock with hands you can move. Move both hands to the four when camera is on you.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 25, 2013

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'm twenty seven years old, and my parents still ask me if I'm going to chase the ice cream truck down the street to get a wrestler ice cream bar when it comes down the street during a visit. I was crazy for those things as a kid. Glad to hear Punk tried to bring them back.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

It always seemed like they got rid of KOTR because they couldn't settle on what the winner gets. For a while it was treated like another championship, then I don't think there was a point to it at all. But there's such a gap between the "big four" PPVs after Wrestlemania that it makes sense to do it around June or July and have the winner get a title shot at Summerslam, like they do with the Rumble and Mania. Was there ever a consistent reward, other than a gimmick change?

When did they get rid of King of the Ring? I just started watching again with last years Rumble, and didn't even notice there wasn't a KOTR last year. That's a drat shame. King of the Ring was a good profile boost, but I guess Money in the Bank stole it's thunder.

..but it gave us Austin 3:16..

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Bret wanted to leave the company that made him as a hero in Montreal. He said he'd give the belt up the next night on Raw in Detroit. It could have been a nice parting of ways, but the problem is that there was no real incentive for WWF to play ball. WCW and Hart would be the only ones benefitting from a clean break from the company. Vince didn't want to risk Bret showing up on Nitro with his belt and dumping it in the trash.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Is there any good reads about the Detroit wrestling scene circa the 50's-60's? My grandfather was a big fan of Dick the Bruiser, who was a big deal in the area from what I hear.

George "The Animal" Steele was my mom's gym teacher, but he didn't wrestle locally. Apparently he wrestled in New York to keep his two lives seperate.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Perry Normal posted:

Nope. At about 2:20 into this video, King mentions that both feet have to hit. It was the first year they introduced that rule (certainly, because of the planned finish) but it wasn't because Michaels wasn't supposed to touch at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1g9Gv1V5d4

I was watching video linked on one of Gavok's articles where Michaels is going against Macho Man, and he does pretty much the same spot when Savage tries to toss him out of the ring.

That Rumble win was exciting as hell at the time.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Didn't some band offer to do Barret's theme since he was a fan? Did that ever happen?

And my favorite wrestler and their day job is George the Animal Steele as a teacher.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That's cute as hell. My mom just knew him as her hairy, bald gym teacher, that wrestled in his spare time. She didn't really know that he ate turn buckles, and made animal noises until she married my dad whose father was a big wrestling fan.

Is there any good documentaries on Gorgeous George? I recently read his wikipedia article, and am completely fascinated by him.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I wish the Bella twins would team up with Team Hell No. Though I guess they don't want to risk turning the twins face.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

oldpainless posted:

I've noticed in interviews wrestlers compliment another wrestler by saying "he always knows where he is in the ring." Is this just saying they are in position so spots don't get blown? Or he won't suplex a guy too close to the ropes and risk injury or what?

This is also mentioned by commentators, usually after a rope break.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The Goog posted:

It doesn't exactly help that he's been given the Figure Four, which would be a tough thing for anyone to get and still be liked but is a death sentence for a guy whose technical prowess can be generously described as lacking.

Should've been Zack Ryder. Going from the Woo! To the Woo Woo Woo! would've been a good transition. Zack would've eaten up the chance to be in Flair's shadow.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'd include Mankind as an extension of the Undertaker brand.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Snacksmaniac posted:

:tipshat: Glad someone recognized it.

Anyone going to Night of Champions? I can't decide how much to spend on tickets.

I'm in the same boat. Haven't been to a wrestling show since 97.

Be buying my ticket this weekend. Here's to hoping we get Bryan vs Cena!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

If there's any Michigoons here that can make it to the Barnes and Noble on 14 mile and John R, George "The Animal" Steele is doing a book signing. I'm going to pick up a copy for myself, and see if he'll sign my mom's Madison High yearbook.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

George Steele was great in person. He pretended to be upset when I told him I was an Ultimate Warrior fan as a kid, and told a story about a Battle Royale where him and a few other heels tied Warrior's tassles to the top and bottom ropes and left him there. Anyone know what match this was?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Probably. Would be great to see video of though.

He also said that he was mentor to HHH, and told him that he was pretty much hosed after the incident with him, Shawn, Nash, and Hall at that house show. And apparently Andre liked to eat garlic before matches and breathe in peoples faces.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

Apparently Andre had a reputation for being an enforcer of sorts and checking the egos of other wrestlers. There're many stories of wrestlers being legitimately scared of running afoul of Andre.

I just thought it was a funny contrast that Andre would have garlic breath, while Steele would have really fresh breath because of the mints that colored his tongue. He was also quick to correct someone who accused him of having a blue tongue, that his tongue was actually green to represent Michigan State.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

I loved the idea of Edge coming to Foley to help him, like Foley is some kind of hermit kung fu master.

Was it anywhere near as good as Ultimate Warrior seeking Jake the Snake for help on how to beat Undertaker?

God drat. Now I'm disappointed that we never got Jake Roberts and Mick Foley in a ring together.

EDIT: House show in New York in 96. Jake jobs in about a minute. gently caress..

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 31, 2013

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

They should put Jake with the Wyatt family. He'd look hilariously small next to the three hoss', but he'd be the scariest of the bunch.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Didn't know him and Taker were buddies. Two of my most vivid memories of early nineties wrestling was Warrior getting locked in the casket, and Shango making black blood come down Warrior's face. Both were great super natural heels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

You'd think Kofi would get some sort of push if Punk had real influence.

What is the deal with Kofi anyways? Haven't seen him much on tv lately.