Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Professor Funk posted:

Has the WWE banned the use of belly to back suplexes? I can't think of a single superstar that does one with any sort of regularity, if at all. If so, did they ban them because of their association with Benoit, the inherent risk of neck injury involved with them, or a combo of both?

Swagger and Bryan throw belly-to-back suplexes on occasion and Alberto Del Rio has a really pretty German suplex hold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtPo7xilIII

Also Bryan's used or at least attempted his avalanche belly-to-back suplex on the last couple PPVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Conversely, Vader's powerbomb was always REALLY stiff. I'd actually put Vader's powerbomb in the 'bad' catagory. He made absolutely no effort to protect his opponent with it.

Has anyone ever been legitimately injured by his powerbomb? If not, then it wasn't too stiff. :downs:

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Chunky Delight posted:

Have there ever been any really stellar heel vs. heel matches where neither guy turned face during or after the match?

Bryan Danielson vs Alex Shelley ROH Arena Warfare

Of course, heel vs. heel worked because it's ROH and they were both cheered and booed anyway.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

Boo to the loving hoo. Lesnar deserved to be put over and stay over. There was more money in Lesnar losing sparingly than Lesnar losing in a Spring program against a returning Undertaker.

How would Lesnar losing to the Undertaker at Wrestlemania NOT be losing sparingly? He lost at Wrestlemania XX anyways. Lot more money in Lesnar vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania than Lesnar not being in WWE at all.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

colin delaney said that it was 100% paid for and handled by wwe when they were starting out his jobber gimmick and after he had signed full time.

Also got a $1000 bonus check for his first night. :)

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Perry Normal posted:

I think a lot of guys who have those fancy pads don't wear boots, but some kind of athletic shoe. Off the top of my head, I can think of Lance Storm, Waltman and Shelton Benjamin who did this, but I'm sure there are hundreds more.

Yeah, a lot of indy guys also get kickpads instead of actual wrestling boots because they're a lot cheaper and don't look half bad.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Save Russian Jews posted:

Didn't Jericho also main-event the first NXT episode with Bryan anyway? Or was that the second?

First episode was indeed the match vs Bryan.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yeah that's the difference, but basically WWE figures that no one outside of smarks are really going to notice that kind of thing, so they just stick with the clothesline name to refer to both since that's simpler. It's also not horribly stupid like calling Orton's powerslam a scoop slam every goddamn time Cole.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

HHH scoring dominant wins over Miz and Sheamus probably won't piss most people off since everyone here is used to it. What should make people explode in a frothing rage will be when he just shrugs off their attempts to be heels and laughs at the notion that they're a threat.

And when he goes ahead and destroys Morrison and Bryan for no reason other than "I'm cool I can do what I want."

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Tyma posted:

Has anyone besides Low Ki really used TNA as a stepping stone to get to the WWE?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwyFABQX62A

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Saying RVD was depushed for being a botch machine in a company that regularly attempts to push green steroid monsters who can't even run the ropes to the moon is a bit myopic.

Hurting yourself is a-okay because then you can get a nice pop when you return! :downs:

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Was there even anything offensive about that storyline? I didn't watch Smackdown.

Wasn't it Kristal getting married to Teddy? And then either her or Vickie giving him a special blue pill that gave him a heart attack?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

And really, have there been any black wrestlers recently who were actually worth pushing to the main event? Just Lashley and MVP come to mind. Maybe Kofi, but he's still there and young and might have a good future. They just need to pick up Kenny King so they can get Shelton Benjamin but with charisma.

EDIT: I forgot about Elijah Burke.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Who's paler?

Sheamus

Or Bryan Danielson before he sold out to the evil capitalist tanning beds?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

tzirean posted:

But Danielson has vitiligo, right?

Yeah, I think that's why he became vegan.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I was gonna say, London and Kendrick really seem to act like bitter dicks most of the time.

More so London. In their shoot, Kendrick seemed to have just accepted that he hosed up his own push after working so hard to finally get it.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

El Duke posted:

Austin probably wouldn't have a ton of respect for Owen if he hadn't have passed, I don't think. Not considering how he handled the aftermath of the piledriver incident.

I certainly hope Austin sent an apology letter to Masa Chono, then. :colbert:

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Save Russian Jews posted:

It's much less endearing when you realize how much pity you wind up taking on Brock. If he'd gone in punching against Lewis and not wrestling immediately, it might have been a very, very bad thing.

He was just trying to go for an F-5! He just forgot that the guy needs to be on his shoulders first.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

I enjoy watching half-naked sweaty men pretend to beat the poo poo out of each other. Like martial arts action movies.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Minidust posted:

Doesn't Vince supposedly love Joey Styles after all his anti-Obama tweets (even though he was "officially" asked to tone them down)? Maybe he's in some bulletproof inner circle that can get away with that sort of thing now.

Yeah, I think Joey's managed to schmooze himself to a rock solid slot in the chain of whatever. Plus, I don't think Vince McMahon knows what Twitter is, so whatever.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Quarex posted:

But, I mean, how can we really discuss this? I can tell you anecdotes about how I know precisely zero people who ran to their televisions upon learning Stone Cold was on, whereas I and several other people I know have excitedly turned on wrestling upon learning the Rock was back. But anecdotes do not really help.

The Rock left wrestling and said he was done with it for seven years. Albeit he had a few dumb video appearances and inducting his dad/grandfather in the HoF, but pretty much he was otherwise done with it. Stone Cold made pretty regular appearances since he retired from the ring. If Rocky had continued to make occasional appearances since his last match, each one would have meant a fraction of what his first actual appearance in seven years meant.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

yeah man how can you use facts and numbers, what's wrong with you MRP?

Because they are fairly flawed here as pointed out by Minidust.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Slightly different note but still Rock related: Do you guys think there is anyone on the roster who could keep up with The Rock on promos? Comparing Cena's and Rock's insults of Michael Cole has shown us just how limited Cena actually is. Jericho's not around. Miz might be able to one day but certainly not yet. I think the only one even close to being able to keep up with him like Austin/Foley used to is Punk.

Triple H? :v: Also Edge and Christian, and Vince. But disregarding people from the Attitude Era, I'd say Punk and maybe Barrett. And really, I think Cena would do fine. My main problem with Cena is that he never treats anyone seriously, and when he goes serious mode he flies off on the wrong side of hammy.

I mean, not to detract from The Rock or his promo, but it was certainly helped by the fact that he had not made a live appearance on RAW in seven years. But uh, I don't exactly think we're going to see people being completely flummoxed and unable to keep up with The Rock in promos.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Also, I'm sure that they both just enjoy performing, and even if they were set for life would probably still make occasional appearances. Albeit they'd be doing it in the WWE, getting proper respect and recognition and having actual special appearances that the fans go nuts for.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Manwithastick posted:

Aside from Rock/Cena and Sting/Taker, What big money dream matches still exist in the WWE?

Cena/Taker, I guess.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

crankdatbatman posted:

I agree with you now, but I remember this sentiment being really popular back then. Of course, it was GameFaqs.

When you have a gathering of hardcore fans of anything with a significant history, you're going to get a general consensus of hate on the current and people wishing for the "good old days," justified or not. Ten years from now the next generation of smarks are going to be wishing for the good old days of John Cena, Batista and Randy Orton and despise whoever the most popular wrestler is.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I highly doubt that it was Batista who carried Undertaker to a series of great matches.

Yeah I'd say Undertaker from 2007-2009 (+WM26) was the peak of his in-ring ability.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

The A-Team Van posted:

-At EC, Del RIo put the cross arm breaker on Edge's right arm, but immediately after, he was selling the left arm.
-At Raw, Morrison was selling the right leg before the match, but Punk kept going after the left leg, so he started selling that.

Now, I know they work left, but usually they aren't this drat sloppy about selling. Did anyone notice these? Any other fuckups like this that will probably be/already have been pointed out by Maffew?

In American wrestling you're taught to work the left side, in lucha you're taught to work the right side, so that's probably the disparity for Del Rio and Edge. JoMo/Punk is just a big ol' mistake. Although you could argue that JoMo's entire body was hosed up so it didn't matter what body part Punk worked.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

warbrides posted:

What was Rey doing in the time between WCW dying and making his WWE debut? Was he even at WCW when it was bought out? I watched WCW Worldwide from 1999 and he was one of my favourites from that period.

Also, where the gently caress is Blitzkrieg and has he done anything with WWE? I loved that guy.

Rey worked the indies for a bit and did some CMLL shows.

Blitzkrieg retired and became a computer technician.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

OH GOD WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT :gonk:

Sting in his WWF debut.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

Triple H sucks

It's ok dude, he put over Sheamus at Extreme Rules after getting brutally beaten down backstage and then taking Sheamus to the limit and lasting longer than Sheamus did in their Wrestlemania match. :suicide:

You know, I was moderately intrigued with Triple H-Taker after their returns last week, because the segment was very well done. One week later, Triple H opens his mouth and I immediately feel the urge to turn the poo poo off.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

LightsGameraAction posted:

Triple H's entrance was hilarious. It encompassed 2 entrance themes, an introduction video of CGI skeletons sword-fighting, and Triple H in the aforementioned Conan get-up rising out of the stage on a thrown.

But the best part is after allllll of that production they put into it, Triple H is sitting on his thrown holding a bottle of spring water.

A water bottle.

Not a goblet or something else time-period appropriate. A water bottle.

I'm sure someone has a picture of him on the thrown with the bottle. I know I've seen it here before.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Both of these guys were drummed out of WWE for not giving a poo poo and were attacked when HHH was still a heel.

Haha, no he wasn't. This was in 2007 and he Pedigree'd them both after they saved him from a 3-on-1 by Cade/Murdoch/Carlito. Good lord, get off his junk.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

So I listened to a Shelton Benjamin interview the other day and by the sounds of it he was a really prominent part of WWE as a mid carder during the time I wasn't watching.

Keeping in mind that my Shelton Benjamin experience is limited to the ladder match he had with Christian at TLC and MitB earlier that year can someone please recommend some of his better matches from any promotion?

There also seemed to be a lot of buzz about his role in 'The World's Greatest Tag Team' particularly their matches with the King's of Wrestling who I've never seen wrestle either, is there a stand out match between the two teams?

Probably Shelton's best singles match in the WWE was his match with HBK during the Gold Rush tournament in '05.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaumcOlCanA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3gg3osK0lU

Shelton was also one of the feature staples on Money in the Bank matches, missing only Wrestlemania 23 during his tenure in the company.

The WGTT is him and Haas and they debuted as a tag team working as Kurt Angle's understudies, more or less, as Team Angle, they eventually broke off from Kurt and called themselves the World's Greatest Tag Team and were active from 2002-2004 and were then split. Then in 2006 they reunited for another two years and had sporadic reunions afterward until they were fired. They reunited again on the independent scene and faced the Kings of Wrestling at ROH's Glory by Honor IX iPPV last year and had a rematch at ROH's LA show in January.

They are to have the rubber match and this time for the ROH World Tag titles on the first of two ROH iPPVs that take place on Wrestlemania weekend, on Friday and Saturday respectively.

Their Glory By Honor IX match was very good, but you'll have to purchase the DVD or iPPV replay to watch it. Their LA rematch is not out on DVD yet, but it should be out soon. I believe people said it was also very good, but not quite as good as the GBHIX match. Their next rematch is sure to be equally great, probably better since the titles will be on the line.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Space Cob posted:

What was the name London and Kendrick would often be called when they were the tag champs?

I know here on the board they were just Londrick, but I know they had some wacky name too. But I can't remember what it was :(

They wanted to be called the Hooligans and pushed for it and had in on their ring gear and everything, but the company thought that no one would remember their names if they had a tag team name.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Atticus Finch posted:

I don't have a lot of time for wrestling (I still haven't watched DBDIV and I've had it for months :sweatdrop:) but I want to get into the indies a bit. It looks like PWG has a lot of great wrestlers from different promotions so I want to try to get into/follow that. Any advice on what to start with?

PWG Seven from last year was an amazing show top-to-bottom. Arguably the single best non-PPV wrestling show of the year.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Tyma posted:

To be fair, the line-up actually a fairly recent selection of washed-up terrible wrestlers!

Hulk Hogan
Ric Flair
Eugene
The Godfather
Shannon Moore
The Nasty Boys
Gangrel
Brutus Beefcake
Heidenreich
Mr Kennedy
Val Venis
Rikishi
Brian Christopher
Orlando Jordan
Matt Cross
Rosey
Lacey von Erich
Umaga

I like how it's just a huge list of former WWE wrestlers and then suddenly Matt Cross. Also Lacey Von Erich.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Manwithastick posted:

In the link I found Regal Vs Danielson

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x632w8_bryan-danielson-vs-william-regal_sport

in which regal was claiming to be the WWF commissioner, why was he on Indy cards during a federation run?

It was a developmental territory early in the last decade. All of the Michaels trainees had contracts there.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

DannoMack posted:

Del Rio coming from a big time wrestling family probably has a lot to do with them having a lot of confidence pushing him. It's doubtful that a guy with wrestling "in his blood" (who was also willing to make the concession of taking off his mask for them) is going to Brock Lesnar them if they make him into a big star.

Also Del Rio already did MMA and went back to pro wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Did they switch Swagger to black and gold tights from his all american american tights because he's heel?

Has there ever been a truly heel :patriot: character?

Kurt Angle? He was more of a deconstruction of the :patriot: character, though, if that's how one would phrase it.