Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Jesus, that brainbuster! I know Masato is a tough SOB but holy poo poo....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Gonz posted:

Or shoving colonoscopy cameras up your rear end after clobbering you with a hospital bedpan.

I will always at least crack a smile when I think of that segment just from the sound of the metal bed pan.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

Bash Ironfist posted:

Didn't know where to put this but: If you guys play SR:IV, I just found out one of the Genki show announcers, bobby, is voiced by Rob Van Dam. I never knew that, and he's surprisingly good at the voice over stuff, does a nice performance. Come for Rowdy Roddy Piper, stay for RVD's surprisingly well done voice work.

I actually had to look that up; at first listen I'd have sworn it was Jesse Ventura on the mic. Then again, for a time I thought Ventura did color commentary in Blood Bowl, so... :shrug:

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
Ok, so I have a question that I'd like to get several opinions on.

I'm working on a gaming side project where I want to factor in different win bonuses/loss penalties based on the type of finish. The catch is that I'd like to vary the bonuses and penalties so that, say, a DQ win barely helps the victor while really hampering the loser, and so forth.

The problem I'm running into is where to rank "non-standard" finishes based on matches available to the game engine. For instance, where does escaping a steel cage rank the winner (or loser) compared to a First Blood match, or a ladder match, and so on?

I know it's a relative thing based on performance if this were real life pro graps, but for this purpose I'm looking at treating all similar finishes equally, whether it be Fingerpokes of Doom or legit MOTY candidates.

Below is the list of finishes I expect to see most often, arranged in my view from weakest to strongest. I'd appreciate seeing how everyone would sort these out.

Disqualification
Countout
Pinfall
Submission
Two falls to one (2/3 falls match)
Retrieval (Ladder matches)
Two falls to none (2/3 falls match)
Cage escape (over the side)
First Blood
Last Man Standing
Medical DQ/Ref stoppage due to inability to defend oneself

Any other finishes you feel should be added, feel free to add them to your list.

Thank you!

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

The Senator Giroux posted:

I know you said you said that the match quality doesn't matter, just the finish, but what about also ranking the prestige of the match type. For instance, a cage escape would be rated higher than say a pinfall in a regular match since a cage match is more prestigious. Likewise, a finish in say a HIAC or LMS would have more significance than just a no DQ or cage match.

Which is true. But then you run into which match types are more prestigious than others which would skew the question even further. If you wanted to use that instead of finishes, that is acceptable as well. Notice that in the list I posted the standard finishes came before cage, ladder, and so forth. In my mind I was trying to weigh the finishes in terms of how strong the participants would look coming out of it. In a way, I could see the argument for prestige giving greater weight to the finish.

As for the other finishes that were given...if any of them make it into this project I'll assess them at that time. I'm just going for now with what I presume will be the most common ones. The double countout/DQ is a good one to consider, good call on that.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
So a friend of mine mentioned an ECW show that was booked to where the ending of the first match played into how the second started, and thus the third, etc for the entire show. I know there are about 400 episodes of ECW TV to look through and I'm not where to start looking for that one. Would anyone in the thread be able to point me in at least a general direction of what timeframe/year to start looking?

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

C. Everett Koop posted:

That sounds like the show where Dreamer finally beat Raven, got attacked by Sabu/RVD/Lawler, which led to Taz coming out for the save, Sabu vs. Taz, which led into Taz vs. Shane Douglas. Summer of '97 would be that timeframe, I don't recall the show name off the top of my head.

Your answer + Google leads me to Wrestlepalooza '97. Thank you; I've found my entertainment for the evening! :bubblewoop:

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

C. Everett Koop posted:

I have found it.

The dumbest bump in wrestling history.

:nws: :nms: just plain bad. Don't watch this if you're squeamish, pregnant, under the age of 18, maybe under 40, of sound mind and body, and have hope for the future of the human race.

That being said, you've been warned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPk4hEmBxrU

And I thought the spot at 8:40 was bad...holy gently caress.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Question straight from my schoolyard days: Which submission is the most painful if you legitimately lock it in for real. Figure four?

Camel clutch. I can deal with a figure four much better than a loving camel clutch.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

exploded mummy posted:

1992 is a pain in the rear end to choose

For me, '92 is the Rumble. Flair winning the WWF title from the #3 spot while Heenan loses his drat mind on color seals it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
First live show: WWF House Show in Landover, Maryland, March 1995.

Singles Match
Aldo Montoya defeats Kwang
Singles Match
Henry O. Godwinn defeats Duke Droese
Singles Match
Hakushi defeats Bob Holly
Tag Team Match
Bret Hart & The British Bulldog defeat Jerry Lawler & Owen Hart
WWF World Tag Team Title Match
The Smoking Gunns (Bart Gunn & Billy Gunn) (c) defeat The Heavenly Bodies (Jimmy del Ray & Tom Prichard)
Singles Match
The Undertaker defeats Bam Bam Bigelow by Count Out
Tag Team Match
Diesel & Razor Ramon defeat Jeff Jarrett & Shawn Michaels

I was 14 and the only things I remember are Bam Bam Bigelow saying he was gonna kick Lawrence Taylor’s rear end, and it not being nearly as dark for Taker’s entrance.

I don’t recall the first WWF TV show specifically I watched. I remember my first NWA PPV I saw. Starrcade, Night of the Skywalkers.