Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Thunder was great because around 70% of the time, I had no idea what the gently caress was going on.

Like you'd tune in and someone would say something like "Tonight! Ernest The Cat Miller and M.I. Smooth team up to take on Kanyon and Road Warrior Animal!" and then the match would happen and you'd be like "My loving God."

Also, one time it opened with Hardcore Hak battling Damien 666. The match wasn't memorable at all outside of the fact that you wondered how such different men had ended up in the same shithole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

El Duke Silver posted:

yep and had the finish not been hosed it would have been one of the best Mania matches period. Also, Rock/Austin III is a lot better than people give it credit for.

Just wanted to back you up on this one. Rock deciding "Well, I guess I'll have to commit murder to win." and then Rock Bottoming him 3 loving TIMES was ridiculously great. That last one is thunderous too. The match also completed their "Wrestlemania" story in the perfect way.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Everyone's just being shy, we're all having Flair sex dreams even during our waking hours.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

The version of the story I heard was that Kimona was told it wouldn't be distributed. and I believe they ended up having to do it because the ring loving broke before the main event.

ECW was hit or miss, but at the time it's misses were still so different from watching god damned T.L. Hopper beat up Stan Stansky that I happily accepted it. A lot of it has aged like hell, but I can still watch it with the benefit of fast forward for Axl Rotten related things. Heck, I even enjoyed a lot of the TNN run because Paul would be like "Hey guys, here's Masato Tanaka and Mike Awesome assaulting each other for 20 minutes and you know it's going to end with some sort of ungodly powerbomb."

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

neoaxd posted:

What the gently caress is "This place is apropos and that don't mean you're digging around in the dirt with farm implements baby!" supposed to mean?

It means I need to take a Tylenol and lie down. Mongo hurts my brain.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Rad Radford? I don't think so unless Louie had a seperate small run that I don't recall.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

I am a big fan of Kobashi vs Akiyama from...04 I wanna say? A great example of the style. Samoa Joe vs Kobashi is also required viewing. Basically, anything with Kobashi.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Oh my God, Hashimoto and Tanaka with no regard for human life. Also, that is one of the nastier brainbusters I've ever seen.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Shanghai Pierce and Tex Slazenger are still some of the best names one could ever come up with for a couple of shitkicking heels. Also, that Dusty thought Pierce should wear a mask because he assumed crowds would have a hard time hating Henry Godwin because of his "good looks."

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Hirams Bitch posted:

Remember that one Spanish announcer who whould always fall out of his chair real slow? That was the best part of the Spanish Announce table breaking.

I think that was Hugo Savinovich AKA the man who looked the most injured by the Mankind Hell In a Cell bump. He fell out of his chair for upwards of 20 minutes.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 10, 2012

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

The season Kaval won of NXT is hilarious. Say what you want about Low Ki, but he has been in the business forever and it showed against the group of jackasses he was "competing" against. It was like a junior high basketball player taking on NBA level talent and the crowd picked up on it almost immediately.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

They got rid of Bryan really early. Also there were guys like Barrett, Gabriel and Slater who at least don't look ridiculous in the ring. Low Ki was matched up against Percy Watson, Lucky Cannon and Alex Riley. How was he NOT supposed to look head and shoulders better?

And where is Percy Watson? He had some spot Raw appearances and then just disappeared.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Oh my God, I was kind of curious at the NXT win-loss records (which by the way, proves I am pathetic and sad) and while Low Ki did have the most losses of his season at 3-6, Bryan went zero and ten. ZERO AND TEN.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

But his "evil" Tatanka make up did look kinda wicked, amirite?!

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Jesus, that Matt Hardy promo manages to make me embarassed for him. He just has no idea how to construct or deliver a promo and begins drowning almost immediately. The lack of it being scripted is the saddest part, he got a golden ticket that very few guys have gotten in the last decade and proceeded to wipe his rear end with it.

Oh yeah, since we've had a little Nexus talk, any word on how the angle works if they hadn't had to can Bryan briefly? Does he assume the leadership role or just more of a second fiddle to Barrett? Obviously, he's in the Summerslam match, but I couldn't help but think "Wow, these not quite ready rookies would greatly benefit from having a guy like Bryan on their team doing a bulk of the heavy lifting."

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

See, I kind of think he woulda been more prominent than that. They gave him the big knock out shot/speaking role of the initial Raw massacre. Although, thinking of it now, I forgot how well they got Gabriel over as a killer with that 450 for a small window of time so maybe Bryan woulda had to settle for 3rd or 4th on the pecking order.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I actually thought I was losing my mind, because I was trying to remember the last time I saw Justin Gabriel on my TV and I couldn't think of anything at all.

Looks like he's teaming with Tyson Kidd. It boggles my mind that they don't at least try doing something with a guy like Gabriel. I shouldn't have to strain trying to think of the last time I've seen him in a match. They have three friggin hours to fill each week on Raw.

Gabriel just had a very good match with Claudio on Superstars if you feel like tracking that down. Don't get the lack of using Gabriel on the main shows, he seems really easy to market.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

sumpthy posted:

On the subject of Gabriel's 450 splash, has anybody been able to get a showy move over as a heel move as well as that before? Because it's really a move that people would usually react well to but he did a good job of making it work with his hundred yard stare.

The dead stare before the move was such a good little character trait. He sold a great mix of "gotta do what I gotta do" and brief hesitation because it was gonna take almost as much out of him. On the flashy move thing, Juvy did a pretty good job of being so unlikable during his heel WCW run that it didn't matter how cool the 450 looked. You still wanted to boo.

jscolon2.0 posted:

If they'd kept him after the tie spot, he'd have been the Arn, the brutal enforcer one.

This would have been glorious.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Chunky Delight posted:

I have a theory that every wrestler despite being horrible in the ring has been in at least one 3 Star match. This includes tag teams and other multi-man matches but excludes battle royals. Are there any wrestlers that discredit this theory?

If there is a good El Gigante/Giant Gonzalez match, I will eat my own head. Even his Flair match is borderline unwatchable.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

The Duck of Death posted:

Come on, the guy was 7'7".

I know, he was at an inherent disadvantage, but my God, he was awful.

My original answer was Viscera, but then I remembered I really liked his late 99 title match against Big Show. Just 2 gigantic men doing a spotfest for 4 minutes. What a blast.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

VogeGandire posted:

I forgot how good this match was. It's how they SHOULD do two giants fighting. Just two massive guys throwing their weight around for a while.

I know, right? It's just 2 huge dudes accepting they will be blown up in a few minutes anyway, so why not do a god damned spinwheel kick and top rope dropkick?

That late 99 title reign was probably Big Show at his best, but my God, no one cared at all. A reaccuring theme in Paul Wight's career unfortunately.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

My apologies if this has been asked before, but what's the deal with other workers thinking Randy Orton is really great in ring? Not saying he's awful or anything(although I'm not a fan), just kind of curious if anyone has specifically said what makes him so good in their eyes.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Mick struck me as someone who could channel any sort of personal strife into a pretty striking promo or hellaciously violent match. Maybe that's why he's not so keen on hanging it up, it would leave a void in his life in that regard.

Or maybe I've overthought this and he just likes money a lot.

Also, on that Orton thing, do you guys want to just start a smeer campaign against workers you don't like with me? Because I heard the Miz burns down churches.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Hard to speculate, seeing as how odd the human brain is in responce to concussions, but I would have to imagine he's not firing on all cylinders. The memory loss thing is pretty scary.

And I was recently watching some of his work with The Rock and my God, the poor bastard looks to be in agony doing their double people's elbow spot.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

That is the reason why that quitter Nigel stopped wrestling. He could not remember huge chunks of his life so he quit.

Yeah, at least he had the sense to call it good. Was it ever confirmed if that was why he couldn't pass his physical? I wonder if he woulda kept going if he was able to work in the E.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Elimination Chamber is for a title. Hell in a Cell is because you hate a man. That is always the way I have taken it and I will ignore all other things and continue to take it that way.

I base this all on Taker trying to kill HBK and succeeding in killing Foley. HIAC is special and I know I am in denial.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

The ECW crowd was an example of a lot of dumb dudes thinking they were "smart" to the business or whatever. They didn't get worked. Well unless you called them a bunch of cocksuckers like Bubba did and then they became legit enraged. The Dudleyz just took a very old wrestling formula (insulting the crowd personally) and vulgered it up a lot. It wasn't always the most creative process to watch, but Jesus did some of the crowds take it hook, line and sinker and I never fully understood why.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Will there ever be a time in my life where I see "Tanaka" and my brain doesn't auto-correct it to "Tatanka?" Was sad when I realized we weren't going to be discussing Tatanka's "more recent stuff."

But yeah, Tanaka's current style is pretty hard nosed still, but a lot of the hardcore elements are more or less gone. He still uses his greatest strength, which IMO, is his timing and ability to build drama to great effect.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

I like to think Vince personally decided to pick the contest winner, that was the first submission he saw and he just fell into hysterics.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Z-Magic posted:

I heard that wrestlers all have limp handshakes as of they had firm handshakes they'd always be trying to outgrip each other.

oldskool posted:

I heard firmness of handshake = how tight you worked, and an overly firm handshake essentially meant "I'm going to beat the piss out of you" so wrestlers shake overly soft to not send across the wrong message.

Wrestling: Even sillier than you thought it was.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

A lot of athletes think making GBS threads on or in something that is someone else's property is the height of comedy. Gilbert Arenas making GBS threads in a teammates shoes is the most recent example I can think of.

Anyways, I was more referring to someone thinking they could judge a person's style based on their handshake. I've heard that one a few times and I hold out hope it's just an old wives' tale.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Siaki in TNA was Rock Ripoff 101 in his mannerisms and stuff, but I actually really liked his offense. A lot of that was because he was a big dude compared to the X-Division guys he was competing against, so he got to toss em around a bit, but Siakalypse Now looked awesome and had a great name.

Flying Elvises forever.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Sabu was probably at his peak before ECW ever got big time exposure. He was already on the downswing circa 97 really. He was never a great technician obviously, but he was an amazing spectacle for awhile before his style started to take its' toll. But yeah, as a result of all that, alot of actual footage of him is when he's pretty broken down. It horrifies me that the dude is still going.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Foley is obviously not on a lot of guys level as far as in ring technician goes, but there aren't a lot I'd put ahead of him in regards to in ring psychology.

That cannot be said for Sabu, but god drat, what a glorious trainwreck he was when on.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

I've seen Sabu have great hardcore matches TWICE with La Parka. I don't get it.

To be fair, lost in all the wacky costumes and dancing is that La Parka is a pretty talented guy.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

I think they were thinking over giving him a title run in 99 just so he could lay claim to be the only guy to hold every active title. He pointlessly won the hardcore title briefly and then GAVE it to Al Snow just to check that off his list.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Speaking of Kurt Angle, are there any other wrestlers who took to pro wrestling so smoothly? The guy is amazing. He began training in 1998, made his TV debut in November 1999, and was very comfortably hanging in the WWF main event scene around August/September 2000.

Brock is comparable, but he was never as smooth on the mic as Kurt. Kurt was a bit shaky cutting promos for the first few months, but by the time the love triangle started in the summer of 2000 he was one of the best in the WWF.

It gets overlooked sometimes because he's gone crazy and is now killing himself in TNA, but he really is one of the best talents to ever come into pro wrestling.

/pro Kurt Angle rant

Steve Austin started training in 1989 under Chris Adams and by 1991 was a fairly major part of WCW's midcard and a TV champ. While obviously he wasn't allowed to take off like Angle did, that is some pretty serious turn around. On a related note, I always forget how short Austin's career really was if you take into account how much time he had to miss for injury.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

During his first WCW run, a lot of guys didn't exactly go out of their way to help them because of issues with Dusty and the usual "booker's kid" heat. He in turn (IMO) got a little lazy and complacent. And during his first run as Goldust, the style he was working didn't lend itself to great ring work, although it worked with the character.

All things considered, I think he did have a pretty fair impact on the business. Goldust was pretty revolutionary for its' time and he was good enough to somehow turn that character into a face that lasted until last year (albeit on and off).

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Worked MMA tends to just look terrible. Incorporating some of the flashier parts of the sport ( throws and good looking submissions) is fine, but a full on character that primarily uses that style would probably be more boring than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

Worked MMA is how wrestling was born.

I understand that, I just don't see how that would translate today. Even the Angle/Joe Octagon match had a tough time winning over the crowd. For better or worse, crowds are trained to pop for signature spots, not in depth technical work or guys fighting over a mount.

Although, now I do want to see Cena and oh lets say, Lord Tensai in a worked UFC style fight.