Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Didn't someone (I'd like to say it was Shawn?) poo poo in Lawler's crown too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

What is it with wrestlers and bodily fluids?

Normal workplace, y'know, whoopie cushion or something.

Wrestlers, poo poo on other people's belongings.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Many wrestlers are basically children on steroids.

Yeah, but come on, even children don't tend to poo poo on other people's belongings for their own amusement.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Bocc Kob posted:

Maybe making GBS threads in each other's belongings is some proud carny tradition passed down through generations.

"Come my son, I shall teach you the ways of the world. Now go curl one out in that guy's duffel bag."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Fairly sure they just offered more money and promised to not cut them off.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Dickeye posted:

This doesn't even make sense.

ULTIMATE. WARRIOR.

NOTHING the man does makes sense.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

My only problem with Cesaro is the Gotch Style Neutraliser is such a shite finisher, especially coming from the guy who used to use the Swiss Death and Ricola Bomb.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The Monkey Man posted:

What was the deal with that bit in late-era WCW when Savage announced his new protege, and then it was never mentioned again?

It's late WCW. There were SO MANY story arcs that were started then forgotten about.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

That is the rule of WCW if you think something is so stupid no one would ever do it WCW did. I still want to know who decided to put Stevie Ray on Commentary that man is a genius.

You can elaborate it a bit. "If you think something is so stupid, no-one would ever do it, WCW did it in 2000/01.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

95 they had monster truck battles, also the videos with the midget. WCW was alwasy full of stupid but it also had some bright spots

Yeah, but for every stupid thing WCW done in the mid-90s, they done something well. For every monster truck battle, there was a Rey/Eddie at HH'97.

On WCW 2000/01, there was genuinely nothing of value.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

It's funny, you couldn't do it then, but it becomes hilarious now.

It's like the Titanic. It would be terrible if you were going down with the ship, but now we get Kate Winslet topless.

Back then we had ALL NWO ALL THE TIME, but you look back and you can pretend it's a show named "How not to run a wrestling promotion". You can actually pinpoint the moment where Hogan's eyes glaze over. I'll give you a clue: The last match of January 4th 1999.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Positive spin on it: At least WCW Cruiserweight division was consistently excellent.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Better than Hornswoggle being the last champion.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm not sure. I mean, Oklahoma was abhorrent, yes, but Hornswoggle being the final champion is like writing a beautiful sonata then giving it to a midget dressed as a leprechaun to poo poo all over it while children cheer him on.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Or the "1-2-that's got him, that's it, oh wait no."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Lone Rogue posted:

Let it be known that the WWF put two untrained businessmen in the ring and everyone was fine with it.

Not just untrained businessmen, executives of a Fortune 500 company.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Runs in the family, at least on the male side, anyways. Thankfully Stephanie stopped wrestling pretty drat soon after losing the divas title.

Nah, Shane just realized his dad can afford any hospital bill and therefore expunged the mortal concept of fear.

I miss Shane O'Mac. :(

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

He only had like, 3 matches as Who. And yes, the commentary was genuinely as bad as you think it was.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

As a massive mark for Old ECW, Old ECW.

Heatwave '97 is considered the best entry point for it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Paulocaust posted:

I like a good hardcore match as much as the next guy, but I'm not huge on it. I never really watched ECW. Did they have any good technical matches? Or were they all hardcore spotfests?

Common misconception. ECW did do more hardcore matches than usual, but they had PLENTY of technical matches. Remember, just about every well-known cruiserweight that was active at the time worked for ECW at least once.

Hell, this is widely regarded as one of the greatest ECW matches ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgR8M6O9G48

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Getting through a stack of admin for the Hall of Pain.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Paulocaust posted:

Oh man, thank you for this. I know expecting everyone to work like Malenko and Guerrero is just stupidity, and a lot of the reason why that match is so good is their chemistry, but if WWE wants to keep their matches safer and get rid of piledrivers/chairs/crazy flippy poo poo to the outside, why don't they takes notes from Malenko/Guerrero matches instead of the boring poo poo they do today? I'm 14 minutes in and neither guy has done a move that could be considered dangerous and I'm loving hooked. Just chain wrestling at it's finest.

Such an incredible match. It makes me mourn the fact that technical wrestling seems to be on the way out. As you say, none of the moves except MAYBE Eddie's frog-splash could be considered dangerous, yet the crowd go loving wild with the endless chains of crazy reversals.

Watch from 09:30-10:00. That's a loving work of art. I could watch that for days and still go crazy.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 8, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'd say IX, just because I've repressed XI to the point I don't really remember it. I actively remember IX being awful.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Owen Hart springs to mind.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcJiPzU70LE

Found at least one of them.

And yeah, Jericho's book, even trying to paint him in a sympathetic light, made him seem like a total sociopath. Jericho and him were listening to a comedy tape, and Jericho was laughing his rear end off, and Benoit was totally stone-faced. Yet later on that night, they got hammered and Benoit ordered an ice bucket for the room next door who were having a party. Benoit intercepted it, pissed into the bucket and knocked on the door and left the bucket there.

He was a genuinely troubled guy, even before the head trauma etc.

But on the other hand, he was truly one of the greatest wrestlers of all time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Nah, apparently he asked Benoit if he wanted to turn it off, and he told him it was funny. He just...didn't laugh. Because he's Benoit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

That was the only story I remembered. Basically, he put across the point that Benoit had a particularly sadistic sense of humour.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, Benoit looks like Roddy Piper in comparison to the ummms, ahhhs and awkward pauses of today.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

And surely narcissistic Texan is HBK.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, a lot of matches with Joe vs a smaller guy come down to the video game logic of "Run away from the fat man until he gets gassed".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

'02-'05 is widely regarded as RA.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

KildarX posted:

Scott Steiner has a Degree from the University of Michigan and I've always wondered. Is he trollin' people or is that not a persona.... Either way its awesome.

He works the gimmick hard. He's really well-spoken and coherent out of character.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Plus their comedy spots, unlike most other wrestling comedy spots, are actually funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_kvTAoSW0g

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Well, I hope you're happy, you rear end in a top hat, I'm going to be humming their theme for days now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Require More Fire posted:

That's the only wrestling shirt that's justifiable to wear.

I'm wearing my Cactus Jack "Wanted" shirt and laughing at you.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, ECW still holds up fairly well, as long as you ignore some of the promo segments. They tried some stuff that would have been cutting edge back then and just look tacky now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

And they would all advertise footage of the night that Kimona danced on top of the ECW arena

I CAN STILL HEAR THE ADS IN MY HEAD.

triplexpac posted:

I was so disappointed when I finally saw that

Have you considered the option that you may enjoy the company of men and their penises.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

IIRC, the lighting rig was hosed, so to kill time, she volunteered to go out and dance. It's not really scummy.

Fun fact: At this point, she was dating Chris Jericho. He had no idea it was gonna happen until she came out on stage.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't remember any particular scum surrounding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

That sounds like bullshit to me, just because the camera is up on stage with her. It'd be pretty hard not to notice the only other guy on stage holding a camera.