Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Captain Strange posted:

I liked Spike & Big Show's tag team reign. I thought he got a fair shot in the WWE, given that he was always a bit of a niche character.

People forget that the Romeo and Juliet angle with the Dudleys and Hollys was both entertaining and over.

GOP posted:

The same goes for the Cactus Jack vs Terry Funk flaming branding iron incident. Even though the spectacle pushed the limits of acceptability, there was a bit more going on than just "Watch fat guy get set on fire... huh huh huh cool."

It's worth adressing the question of "Why is hardcore okay for Cactus Jack and Terry Funk, but when it's CZW or IWA it's garbage wrestling?" The difference is promos and psychology. Funk was arguably one of the top 10 wrestlers of the past thirty years. He didn't have to do hardcore to have an entertaining match, but he knew how to use it in a way that made sense. Cactus was a big fat guy with average athletic ability. Yet, his promo ability and charisma made him one of the biggest stars of the Attitude era. In the ring, he made up for his althletic flaws with great psychology. Some could argue he used big bumps and hardcore as a crutch, and there's some truth to that. However, his had great psychology and knew how to use those spots for maximum effect and could sell well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Batmanuel posted:

I loved CZW in 2005 when they feuded with ROH leading up to Death Before Dishonor 4.

John Danzig didn't, he through the booker down the stairs and fired him.

tzirean posted:

The spectacle was incredible, sure, but the match, such as it was, sucked a dick. And the spectacle, as you point out, is not reproducible; it was a result of one planned spot, then a whole lot of unplanned poo poo and Mick Foley being, frankly, too loving stupid and concussed to know when he needed to stop.

Actually, Jim Ross deserves a lot of credit too. In the hands of any other announcer it would have come off as a trainwreck from the big spot on. A spot which was only happened because Foley was deathly afraid of a bad match figured if he was thrown off the cage that anything after would probably be fine. Nobody, including Vince and Taker, was happy it was done.

Jerusalem posted:

the fact that Foley got BACK UP afterwards with a crazy smile on his face because his character was loving insane and wanted to keep fighting.... and Taker's reaction was,"gently caress it okay let's fight some more!"

JR got that over. Foley wasn't smiling, he was trying to show off a missing tooth and a hole in his lip. JR made it look less stupid, and more bad-rear end.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

grody but still def posted:

loved his constant misuse of the word literally.

I still think his best thing was his explainations of holds on the human anatomy, with medical terminology. Especially when Heenan would have no clue what he was talking about.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

CombineThresher posted:

Plus, as much as I hate to agree with Kevin Nash, WCW's parent company going down the shitter had way more to do with the death of WCW than anyone's booking did.

You, Nash, Kevin Sullivan, and many others can't see the forrest through the trees. The argument that Kellner/AOL/the accountant's didn't want wrestling is part of the issue, but the main reason is that they didn't want a huge money-loser as part of the merged company. WCW still got good ratings for cable TV, but had giant contracts and was millions in the red. Hell, if Kellner knew details about WCW he would know that the contracts were heavily favored towards the talent and the business only had a few years of profitability in the decade or so Turner owned it.

So, if the AOL merger hadn't happened and Turner was in charge forever WCW may not have died. However, if WCW had better ratings, better contracts, and better booking it could have been a profitable business. Then Kellner/AOL/accountants would have looked at the company and seen green, instead of seeing a trainwreck and dumping it. Kellner was the final nail in a coffin that had slowly been being built in the 1980s when Jim Crockett Promotions begain failing to manage their money.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 14, 2009

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Axissillian posted:

Correct me if I am wrong but did WCW ever turn a profit?

From what I remember, WCW made money during the first few years of the nWo. The problem is, Turner's money was a double-edged sword. WCW had the money to offer guys huge contracts, and Bischoff wasn't the first guy running WCW to do so. The problem was, since it wasn't the WCW VP's money and Turner didn't care they just made huge guarenteed money deals to greedily snatch up talent instead of smart deals that could protect the company. For example, after Scott Steiner cut a shoot promo on Ric Flair on live TV he was suspended (or for something else, I forget the exact circumstances). However, he still received a gently caress-ton of money, so the Turner accountants were pissed that he wasn't being used. Contrast this with real wrestling promoters, including Vince McMahon. If the business lost money they also lost money, so they avoided signing deals that put them in a bad position or put them under the thumb of the wrestlers.

Also, most people think green = money, so it's easier to just use that term. Which is also correct, and used more often in wrestling.

Timby posted:

I'm not saying he was wrong, but it was indeed potentially short-sighted, since WWF/E programming started a pretty nasty decline as soon as Vince was the only game in town. That was the problem with giving the keys to the kingdom to a numbers guy, same with Brad What's-his-face (I can't remember the name, despite writing for WrestleLine at the time).

The decline in ratings was due to brand loyalty, a lower-quality product, and Vince disregarding the WCW fanbase. None of that is Kellner's fault. As for giving the keys to a numbers guy, if that happened earlier WCW may not have been in as bad shape when WCW was sold. The wrestling guys didn't give a poo poo about the bottom line because it wasn't their money. They figured the checks would roll in forever because Billionaire Ted loved his rasslin.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 14, 2009

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

CombineThresher posted:

My point is more that AOL/Time-Warner itself was poorly run, and it's hard to expect one subsidiary to survive that much bloodletting once the stock prices plummeted. It didn't help that no one at Turner really wanted wrestling around anymore, and would rather spend more money on "classier" programming with less of a return.

I'll grant you the point about contracts, but were those even under Russo's jurisdiction? He was making the TV unwatchable, but I didn't think he was responsible for signing people or negotiating their money.

Your history is off, AOL/Time-Warner wanted WCW gone immedietly, before things started going bad.

I believe some contracts were, specifically Mike Awesome. But I'm not blaming Russo for the death of WCW either. He was just another nail in the coffin and no one person is responsible for WCW's death.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Fallon posted:

Erm . . is that it? Really, how did it eclipse WWF for so long, what were the good parts of WCW?

It didn't eclipse WWF for that long. It was successful in 1989, from 1995 or 1996 to 1998 it beat the WWF, and it was competitive until 1999. However, from the late 1980s to 1995/1996 and 1999 through the sale in 2001 it was behind the WWF. So it had five successful years out of thirteen, if you only count the Turner years.

Writer Cath posted:

Meh, he's training wannabe divas in FCW now. I'm sure there's quite a few girls willing to do whatever it takes to get noticed. Probably not a bad existence.

Uh, not really. The girls know they're more important than he is and don't respect wrestling anyway.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

It was 100% shoot.

It was 75% shoot. Once Bart Gunn beat Dr. Death, who was supposed to win, they realized they hosed up. They then made it a work and had Bart win.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Jagtpanther posted:

What was the tag-team that had Andre, Earthquake/Tugboat, Akeem (or some other big-man combination) wearing black singlets and lucha masks?

How did you get Earthquake, Tugboat, and Akeem? Those guys were a good 100lbs heavier than Blackjack Mulligan and Bill Eadie/Masked Superstar/Demolition Axe

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

apsouthern posted:

I seem to remember from DiBiase's book that he started as a face (pre-WWE), but he was turned heel when he split from his tag partner at the time. Not sure about his WWE career though

In the late 70s, before he was the Million Dollar Man, he wrestled in the WWF in 1979. His highlights in that run were being North American champion, losing the title to Pat Patterson, and jobbing to The Incredible Hulk Hogan.

Captain Strange posted:

Do you guys think the WWE might ever consider doing non-canonical, low-key shows to compete with Indy talent or to spread appeal overseas? It seems they're forever struggling to find places for some of their low and mid card talent.

No, and the biggest issue there is that WWE doesn't think they're struggling to find places. They think having everyone in Florida is a good idea. The overseas promotion was considered for a while, to the point where I think they announced plans to have indies in Mexico, the UK, and Japan. It was expensive, though. As for competing with indy talent... Why bother? Indies aren't a threat and are currently the only place for talent to learn outside of FCW.

[quote[
I can't imagine they couldn't turn a profit producing a more indy-style (ie more athletics, less talking), lower budget show under a different brand name.
[/quote]

Uh, ECW was proof they couldn't. Although the biggest problem was Vince kind of wanted it to fail, it didn't bring in profits that justified running it that way.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

During 1997 in the heated Canada vs. U.S. feud, there was that guy named the Patriot who wore an American Flag on his mask. But, I don't seem to remember him doing anything. Can someone tell me? Also, why did Brian Pillman join the Hart Foundation, other than he was a heel?

The Patriot, real name Del Wilkes, was a gimmick that started win GWF in Texas. Vince thought it had potential, so he brought him in to the WWF. He sucked. Pillman joined the Hart Foundation because he was trained in the Hart Dungeon and started his career in Calgary.

quote:

And, I remember when Goldust became the Artist Formerly Known As Goldust, and he just wore weirder costumes. I have heard the reasoning for this change was that Vince was trying to take a shot at the high art community, but I don't understand why that would be. Plus, what did the Artist do during this time period in terms of feuds.

Never heard that explaination. I think it was a combo of Russo being wacky, making a reference to Prince, and making him fit a Marilyn Manson gimmick. His main feuds were with Vader and Mark Mero, I think.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

nyratk1 posted:

He didn't do much except be another American foil to Hart Foundation, had a title shot against Bret at Ground Zero and got injured soon after and was released.

And sold his gimmick to Tom Brandi to use on the indy scene.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Batmanuel posted:

How are guys treated in the locker room when they rejoin the company? For example, did they welcome Undertaker back to the locker room with open arms?

Rejoin-break from the ring, injury, any time they aren't physically there...

It depends on the person and how the left. Undertaker's always been welcomed back because he's a locker room leader, legend, and has never left on bad terms.

ColeM posted:

But if you leave on bad terms with Vince and the locker room than it would be hard to come back.

Not really. You'll come back with some heat, but really nothing happens. Hell, if you leave on bad terms (Hogan, Nash, Hall, Bret, Billy Graham, Sammartino, etc.) it only makes Vince want you more.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

TL posted:

Can anyone pinpoint when it was that the Undertaker became the unofficial leader of the locker room? I know it's been at least a few years now, but I don't remember hearing about it so much during his American Badass phase.

If you mean in real life, around 1994, but it was something that wasn't talked about that much. He was a major star in the WWF by that point, Bret was always aloof, and The Cliq was had heat. It's around then when his friends, which included Godfather/Papa Shango/Kama and Yokozuna, was seen as tough guys who were down to earth.

If you mean on TV, it was when he was doing the Big Evil gimmick, mainly with the invasion.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

FishBulb posted:

Its really sad to me because there were decades where WCW was a solid product, that was never as big as WWF was going to be, but they put on a simple old school entertaining show I mean, sure they did some dumb poo poo.

Decades? WCW only existed for about 13 years. Not even a decade and a half.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

FishBulb posted:

Of course I do but it's much more fun to try and correct people over tiny things.

It isn't really tiny, they were two different groups with different owners. And even then, "decades" still doesn't really work because there were only two decades where Vince's WWF existed: The 80s and 90s. So, really, you can't count and that throws me off.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

chazburgr posted:

I wonder if Bruce Buffer is for hire. I find him a lot more fun and interesting than Michael

Nope, UFC has him signed to an exclusive contract.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

basically Cryme Tyme and Cade&Murdoch got into an argument backstage, and to rib them, Cade and Murdoch got Cryme Tyme counted out to mess with the finish. Cryme Tyme, for some retarded reason (I guess to send the crowd home happy or something), gave the referee their finisher (Which he was not trained to take) and threw the ref's belt into the crowd. They were on thin ice for their attitude backstage as it was, so they ended up getting released.

Other details I remember were that Cryme Tyme was owned in that argument, I think by Murdoch (not me being a mark), it was a legit hosed up finish and not Cade and Murdoch's fault, and the referee also did not expect to be hit with any move.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Blinken posted:

This is kind of an odd question, but are there any defining characteristics to a luchador mask ? Like visual cues that let you know it's a Mexican wrestler and not a power ranger or something.

Simply put, masks in Mexico mean luchadores. Power Rangers came later.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Sionistic posted:

They probably wont say ref names because they dont want you to focus on the ref unless it involves the finish.

I remember this being the reason that got leaked, that Vince doesn't want the focus off the superstars. Vince changes his mind on a daily basis, though. Remember when he wanted it more serious, with refs calling matches as a shoot?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I remember my :aaa: face when that happened, and a friend of mine told me that when he saw it, he and his brother actually started screaming and their parents burst into the room thinking they were being murdered, only to see them hopping up and down shouting,"JERICHO WON THE TITLE! JERICHO WON THE TITLE!"

I called one of my friends, who was also watching, right when it happened and we both marked out. Then, while we were talking, it got reversed and the phonecall kinda died.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Every year that goes by there's a bigger chance of Bruno Sammartino going in. Even Bret Hart is now encouraging him to do it, for his fans. The problem is that he's been so negative against it, I believe even being asked and saying no, while WWE is afraid of him burying the company, talking about steroids, and saying no again. As time passes, I think Bruno softens his stance. I'd love to see it, Bruno tells some great stories on Wrestling Observer Radio and it could lead to a Bruno DVD.

They would put Owen again, with the guarenteed speech by Bret being a big selling point. The problem is that Owen's widow Martha would bury the company, blaming WWE for his death.

Acute Hepatitis posted:

is there really a voting process for it?

A ballot goes around to a limited group including Kevin Dunn, Jim Ross, Triple H, Hulk Hogan, and others. Then Vince throws the ballots out the window and picks them himself. Hogan once tricked Vince's secretary into reading the ballot on Bubba the Love Sponge. The Hall of Fame, in a way very fitting of wrestling, is a complete work.

CM Junk posted:

Here's a thought: Is Goldberg HOF material? He was a pretty big draw back in his day, and he made at least some sort of a splash in his time in WWE. On the other hand, he was the biggest self-mark this side of Bret Hart, and I'm not really sure what terms he's on with Vince nowadays.

No. He was a big star for a very, very short period of time. The major reason that Goldberg wasn't bigger for longer is because WCW stopped booking him correctly. I would say Goldberg is like Warrior, a guy who was an icon but did not have the longevity to be a Hall of Famer.

As for being a self-mark, Goldberg got better towards the end of his career. The reason he was like that was because Hogan, Bischoff, and WCW's bookers made him think he was supposed to act like that.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

TL posted:

I think getting a decent pop when Vince McMahon mentioned his name on the Raw-Nitro Simulcast went way to his head. When he signed, they tried to make something of him and on the infamous WCW Raw had him go against Booker T. The match sucked, Buff got released.

The Rock was out making a movie at this point, by the way. He didn't come back until after InVasion. I highly doubt Bagwell and the Rock ever even came in cotact with each other.

Your timing is off, he thought he could be the big babyface who could be in movies back in WCW. Also, the match was only a part of why he was released. On his first night, he was told not to wear his silly had and to act a little more serious going out to the ring. Instead he wore the had, already ignoring a direct instruction on his first night. Also, he had his mom call JR to say he was sick and couldn't make it, looking like a complete mama's boy pussy. Combine these things with his attitude and he was hosed. Nobody was shocked when within a week or so of his debut JBL was sent to beat him up and he was fired.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Wazzu posted:

Would sunny have done enough to be considered for the hall of fame?

I'd say so, she was the first Diva. Missy Hyatt comes close, but she was an NWA manager and lasted days in the WWF.

quote:

And do you think jericho will get his way and induct lance storm? (not saying jericho is lobbying now, but he would probably love it)

You're funny.

CM Junk posted:

Aren't there rumblings that Wrestlemania might be going back to Toronto in a couple years? If so, perfect time to induct Trish.

How about Yokozuna? Would he at all be considered HOF material or was he just a guy who dominated for a year or two, jumped ship, then ballooned up and died?

Trish says no to things she thinks are stupid. Kind of a crapshoot whether Vince would find that a negative or a challenge.

Yoko never jumped ship. WWE tried to help him lose weight but Yoko couldn't stick with it and wasn't being licensed in states due to his health. They didn't want to cut him but they had no choice. He then spend the rest of his life getting fatter and wrestling in indies.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Batmanuel posted:

Also, what is the irc channel? I swear I read the rules and FAQ 20 times and missed it.

#wrestling on SynIRC

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

So now that Jimmy Hart's buddy Hogan is doing his new fed, is Wrestlicious MIA?

ACtually, it should be starting syndication soon.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Super Dan posted:

I'm a little late on this, but the Brian Pillman gun angle could be considered, although that might count as self defense instead of straight up murder.

Pillman didn't kill anyone.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Meat Recital posted:

Ah yes, I loved that storyline. Yokozuna is fat, and Lex is the only person who can slam him (even if he cant).

The hiptoss heard 'round the world, as Bobby Heenan used to say. Except it was a lovely slam. I always loved when Heenan was supposed to be full of poo poo, Gorilla and Vince would claim he was full of poo poo, and he was telling the truth.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

The WWE made it seem like he was about ten days away from a murder-suicide and needed time off. The WWE was probably not entirely bullshitting for once.

Right after Eddie died, the Observer, Torch, and other newsletters started talking about another wrestler being close to death's door if he didn't clean himself up. Eventually they all stopped being vauge, after Angle had gone to TNA and started cutting promos on Vince, and revealed they meant Angle.

Jerusalem posted:

Conflicting statements (mostly from Kurt!) indicate it was something to do with him being overworked and addicted to painkillers and not being happy about the level of influence he had.

Kurt's statements have been, in the order I remember him making them:

#1) I needed to take time off and we mutually decided I could leave.
#2) I needed to get off painkillers but WWE refused to give me time off so I quit.
#3) I worked the WWE into thinking I was a drug addict and going to die so they would give me a release.

#1 was made soon after WWE released him, as he tried to spin the story. Vince then got pissed and gave the "We wanted him to go to rehab and get help, but he refused so we had to fire him" side of the story that's accepted as truthful. #2 was made later, after he had signed with TNA, and there are multiple things that seem to disprove it. When Angle got neck surgery he went with a less-invasive version that would let him get back to wrestling in a shorter amount of time, while WWE wanted him to get fusion surgery that was proven and take the time needed to get better. WWE also wanted him to take time off, or at least stop wrestling, after he injured himself at an ECW house show in a match with RVD, while Angle tried to hide the injury. Plus, WWE had a pretty good track record of helping guys with rehab (Eddie Guerrero, William Regal). #3 is just strange and shows that Angle is the biggest worker, next to Hulk Hogan, or is disjointed from reality. And even if it were true it's still hosed up.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

The New Age Outlaws were never good so I'll let you guess

That's the "too cool for the room" argument. The reality is, the Outlaws were good, not great, in the ring and pretty drat over during the early years of the Attitude era. Up until around Wrestlemania 15, when they had singles title runs, they had strong mid-card tag matches and Road Dogg's ring intro gimmick always got a pop. Once they became singles the act went downhill. The end was when Edge and Christian and The Hardy Boyz began having some of the most entertaining matches in the company and took over the tag team division. That, combined with the D-X heel turn to support Triple H, killed the team and they soon split them up. After that, Road Dogg did an injury angle with Jericho, giving Dogg time off to record a country album that fell through. Then they tried to bring him back with R-Truth (then K-Kwick) with a rap gimmick but he had drug issues that got him fired. Billy Gunn was a mid-carder for life, and the feud with The Rock designed to make him a main event heel was doomed from day one. Still, he had a good body and was acceptable in the ring, so they kept him around for years after that.

The New Age Outlaws probably were the most over part of that version of D-X. Triple H, as a babyface, was okay at the Intercontinental level but never connected with the fans in a main event way. Even once they turned him it took a ton of work to get him over as a viable main eventer, including Mick Foley doing everything he humanly could. X-Pac was entertaining at times, but was no longer the worker he was during his first WWF run and still was an average at best talker. Chyna was a freakshow, but it wasn't until a boob job, jaw reconstruction, and leaving D-X and Triple H that she broke out of her bodyguard gimmick. The biggest thing that version of D-X ever did was be Mankind's friends, since it helped early on in his face turn by showing that other people liked him.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 28, 2009

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The followup to Warzone was Attitude, which was terrible (but I loved it at the time). All the wrestlers did in-ring voice stuff, and the Headbangers really pissed me off because when they were locked into submission moves they would go,"OW! OW! OWWW.... oh wait, that doesn't hurt :geno:"

Attitude was good for it's time. It was frustrating to play, but the voices, CD-quality music, and motion capture by the Hardy Boyz were great. I remember my friends and I picked it up from the mall and pulled an all-nighter playing it and unlocking everything. Then the next morning I had to go to work and take short naps at the cash register when nobody was working.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Axissillian posted:

They tried to fight legally but they couldn't because they didn't own the name. ECW did and WWE acquired the intellectual property when they bought ECW.

Okay, chiming in because I haven't seen the correct story stated. The Dudleys were promised the rights to their names by Heyman when they left, that was why they could use it in WWE (although I have a sneaking suspicion that Heyman licensed names indefinetly to WWE in exchange for the money Vince was giving him). The Dudleys never bothered to have anything legal drawn up, so when WWE bought ECW it included the Dudley names and gimmicks. Once they left WWE, they tried to use the names and found out that WWE owned them. It's a mix of Heyman being a sleazy/lovely businessman, the Dudleys being lovely businessmen, and WWE being stuck in the middle because they're just the company that owns the name.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Didn't WCW also throw wads of cash at the Maestro because he owned the rights to the "Gorgeous George" name, and Macho Man's pornstar girlfriend wanted to use the name "Gorgeous George?"

WCW bought the name and the original idea was to redo the gimmick with Lanny Poffo. Like many things in WCW, it was half-baked and they never used the name and paid Poffo to sit at home. Then, years later, they thought it would be funny to name a woman George.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 4, 2009

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Karmine posted:

Yokozuna got scoopslammed by Lex Luger

No he didn't. Hiptoss heard 'round the world.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Burrito posted:

See: Wrestlemania 21

See: "What do you mean Bob Orton has hepatitis?"

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Jack Krauser posted:

Was heel J.R. as bad as they say?

It wasn't bad so much as everyone felt bad for him, hated Michael Cole, and recognized him as the best announcer in the business, so he was a sympathetic babyface to the fans. His heel promos were fine but nobody was going to be willing to boo him.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

I guess I can throw this here:

Are we doing a WH2K Secret Santa this year?

I'm in, but I don't really want to run it. If someone wants to step up and start a thread, go for it.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Wazzu posted:

Wasn't he pretty over in WCW without the mask?

No. While he wasn't ignored by any means, because his work was good, looking like a 12 year old killed a good chunk of his heat.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think he would have gotten over at some point due to pure talent, but I don't think he wolud have been as big with kids or casual fans without the mask.

I disagree. Rey was almost relegated to the minis in Mexico, but someone (Rey Sr? Konnan?) supported giving him a chance and he got over. Without a mask I don't think he would ever have gotten a chance in the US, and he barely got a chance in WWE with the mask.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

spongeh posted:

Did anyone inside WWE ever have anything to say about the Cena/RVD match at ONS? Seems like there were some fed lines to Taz/Styles sticking up for Cena, and the obviously very rabid, and vulgar, crowd.

They were very happy with it. Everyone knew going in that RVD would be mega-over and Cena would be a giant heel and poo poo on by the crowd. Hell, Cena himself says he was going into it as a heel. They figured the fan reactions at ONS were evidence bringing back the ECW name would be a huge success.

Free Market Gravy posted:

No official statements or anything, but the fact that they never really went back to the Hammerstein says it all.

It says nothing. As previously stated they went back again. The reason they stopped running Hammerstein for ECW was because they rolled the ECW tour into Smackdown because of poor ticket sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Guzim posted:

I thought that Austin and Rock were the original choices, but they both felt that Jericho deserved it.

I'm not sure who the original was, but Austin and Rock both said they wanted to put Jericho over because he was great, would make him a star, and was the right decision for business. This is even bigger when you remember that Austin was careful with his booking, refusing to do an angle with Jarrett or put over Hunter at Summerslam '99. Then Triple H comes back and he and the writers completly poo poo on what Austin and Rock did by making Jericho Steph's bitch.

Of course, Triple H can be pretty retarded when it comes to booking. He claims in interviews that you don't get guys over by bringing stars down (basically, having main eventers lose feuds to guys being built up), despite that being how stars were made for decades and being how HHH was made into a legit main event star (his feud with Foley).