Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Chunky Delight posted:

So how much do those guys make for mutilating their bodies for such small audiences ?

Realistically, less than $100 a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Exactly, it's like those people who think that the Hell in a Cell match between Foley/Taker was great because of the spots off the roof, and can't understand why people don't consider it a classic when they leap into a dumper full of weedwhackers off of a roof swarming with crocodiles. The spots mean something because of our familiarity with the characters, the build to the match, and the fact that Foley got BACK UP afterwards with a crazy smile on his face because his character was loving insane and wanted to keep fighting.... and Taker's reaction was,"gently caress it okay let's fight some more!"

CZW matches are like Tom & Jerry cartoons. If you watch a whole morning of cartoons and you see one Tom & Jerry, it is definitely different and crazy. If you watch a Tom & Jerry marathon, the violence loses all meaning and impact. Plus, like Tom & Jerry, the wrestlers just do crazy spot after crazy spot without any transitions or story.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CombineThresher posted:

I enjoyed how no one could execute an abdominal stretch to his liking.

Any reason why he gets ignored by management these days?

Because he's been dead for 10 years?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Free Market Gravy posted:

I never understood the tendency some of the more legit dirtsheets have to hint at Wellness cover-ups when it's completely unrealistic. Until half the company starts failing, the WWE suspending violators is good PR for them. If they would have covered up anyone's failure, it would have been Batista's, but no one has surgery to cover-up a drug test failure.

Why would the WWE want to keep Beth Phoenix's potential wellness failure under wraps?

On top of that, if something crazy happened, like Batista died of a drug OD, and it came out that they hid a Wellness Violation, Vince would be skewered more than he ever had been in the past. It really isn't worth it for them to hide a violation.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Batmanuel posted:

Speculation points to MVP.

MVP is a felon that probably has a parole officer or something that tests him for drugs.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

FishBulb posted:

I looked it up just to make sure and even if he was put on parole for the duration of his sentence which is unlikely in any case that would be almost 10 years ago by now. Theres no way that guy is still on parole.

Wikipedia says He later completed 9½ years of an 18½ year prison sentence for armed robbery and kidnapping which he started at the age of sixteen.

People are on parole for the rest of their sentence, usually. If that was the case, he would have gotten off of parole sometime this year and in that time, he would have had monthly meetings with a parole officer where he would have been subject to random drug tests.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

FishBulb posted:

think Debra wins that one

Kayfabe wise? Grody was right when he said Sunny - she was passed around by all of the tag teams.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Karmine posted:

Actually she was just following the tag belts.

Yeah, at a time when a lot of teams had the belts.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Matt Cruea posted:

Yep.

Brian Lee/Skip/Phineas Godwin/Both Smoking Gunns/Faarooq

LOD 2000.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CM Junk posted:

Edge definitely had the best taste in women.

EDIT: To answer the prior question, Jericho as a one-man tag team, as was speculated for a while, would be an interesting diversion for a month or two. But if he somehow manages to coax heel Punk out of the title picture and into his smarmy grasp they'd make an unbelievable team.

That would be an interesting bit of trivia.

Jericho would have held 2 belts at once (WWE & WCW), 4 belts at once (WWE & World Tag), and was also a co-holder of 1 belt (IC Title with Chyna).

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Jagtpanther posted:

I'm sure I remember Sable vs. Jacqueline that ended in boobs, my youtube-fu fails me though.

Do you mean the bikini contest where Sable's bikini top was just handprints dipped in paint?

EDIT: Here's the video of that. She had pasties on under the paint.

Rusty Shackelford fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 9, 2009

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

rotinaj posted:

I'm watching the Sting/Hogan match from '97 Starrcade, and it makes me feel a touch wistful for what has become.

Could the WWE have managed to keep from loving him up all the way to now, to make him have a end-of-the-career period comparable to 'Taker's, instead of... Well, you know what has become.

Sting or Hogan?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

TL posted:

Did somebody say "3 minutes"?

I thought it was Raw that had the 3 minute jumpstart. I remember them hyping longer Raw and getting excited, then hearing it was moving from 9pm to 8:57.

I remember Nitro having that jumpstart, but I do recall Raw trying it, too. Really, though, the headstart meant nothing compared to the overrun.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Brickhouse Betty posted:

Bart Gunn won? I thought for sure I remembered him going down in like ten seconds against Butterbean.

Or was that the prize? Punch all these guys in the face, and then you get to fight loving Butterbean? Jesus, I can see why Dr. Death would take a dive.

edit: Just looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently the winner DID win a fight with Butterbean. Talk about a loving booby prize.

Bart Gunn won in like October, had exactly 2 matches after that, and was then brought back as a special attraction at WrestleMania against Butterbean. It is more likely that they booked the Butterbean match-up after Bart won than before.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

DM Punk posted:

So, is Tito the only other guy who never went heel?

That's who I was thinking.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

TV's Nate posted:

God that whole thing was so stupid. They were filming something outside (maybe talking up Thunder in Paradise or something, I can't remember) and Giant walks up and throws a poofy white shirt at Hogan, shouting "REMEMBER THIS?!?" Apparently Andre's clothing was incredibly distinctive because Hogan knew immediately that that was ANDRE'S SHIRT, BROTHER.

I think the Andre's Son bit only lasted for as long as he was in the Dungeon of Doom, once he was away from the circus they spun it into something less silly.

It was Bash at the Beach 1995 and the shirt was his WWF one, I believe. This one http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Andre-T...p3286.m20.l1116

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Carlton Banks posted:

Can't wait for a couple of years from now when he comes out to "Sexy Boy" while looking like Robert Gibson

edit - hoooly poo poo, I looked Gibson up to see what he looked like today and his eye is even worse than I remember

Morton looks like he has cataracts. It's hard to believe these guys were considered "heartthrobs."

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

DM Punk posted:

Wasn't that Mike McGuirk, the ring announcer that Heenan always made fun of?

Mike McGuirk said that Vince came onto her, but the ref was Rita Chatterton who said that Vince raped her and sued.

Also, that NBA ref is the worst ref in the league and only has her job because she is a woman. We don't need a woman ref just to have one.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Karmine posted:

Yeah, he, Owen, and Savage are the big ones for me. Owen would be a tough one because Bret probably wouldn't show up and Martha DEFINITELY wouldn't show up so I don't know who would induct or who would accept on his behalf, but if I had to pick I would say get the Hart Dynasty to do both.

Savage won't happen for a good long time, if ever, but if it does happen I think he should be inducted by either Ricky Steamboat or Ric Flair.

Why wouldn't Bret show up? Bret showed up for his own induction.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

We got Pete Rose and William Perry in the WWE Hall of Fame. There is room for Owen.

At some point, wounds will have healed and Owen will be inducted.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Axissillian posted:

I just fail to see why Owen would get inducted despite his death when the only reason to get inducted is his death.

He never main-evented, he never drew, never held the world title, his only memorable matches were against Bret, and by that point in his career he was a comedy buffoon and not likely to improve.

If he hadn't Foley'd from the rafters in 1999 his career accomplishments would have been: famous brother, some good matches, the white guy in NOD.

Loyalty and guilt. Nothing more, nothing less.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

I would say the list of people needing to be in includes (in no particular order)...

Bruno Sammartino
The Road Warriors
Demolition
Larry Zbyzsko
Randy Savage
Ted DiBiase
Jake Roberts
Rick Rude
Trish Stratus
Sting
Arn Anderson
Tully Blanchard
Barry Windham
J.J. Dillon
Alundra Blayze/Madusa/Who Cares because she's got less of a chance than Macho & Warrior combined
British Bulldogs
Rock & Roll Express
Midnight Express
Stu Hart

Arn, Barry, Tully & JJ would probably have a good shot going in as the 4 Horseman, not individually.

Jake won't go in until he is sober or dead.

Stu could go in with "The Hart Family" and could include Owen.

The tag team wing of the Hall of Fame is rather weak right now, but the ones you named would definitely have a spot for them.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CM Junk posted:

Aren't there rumblings that Wrestlemania might be going back to Toronto in a couple years? If so, perfect time to induct Trish.

How about Yokozuna? Would he at all be considered HOF material or was he just a guy who dominated for a year or two, jumped ship, then ballooned up and died?

How did he jump ship? It was more like he ballooned up to the size of a ship.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

And as far as nostalgia goes, I think there really may be one dream match left that hasn't happened in 20 years: Steamboat vs Flair.

Steamboat/Flair happened in 1994 at Spring Stampede and got at least 4 stars.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Is that the double pin match?

Yes, a double pin that led to a rematch either on WCW Saturday Night or Slamboree, probably both.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Strike Force won the Tag belts with a submission victory over the Hart Foundation.

22 years ago?! That's what you're using for proof?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Andre was pretty much the number one heel in WWF from tearing Hogan's shirt (those things are pristine, Hogan would never let one get torn!) up to the moment he gave all the money to the fans when he was in the Colossal Connection and pissed off Heenan.

The giving away money thing was at WrestleMania in a $10,000 Bodyslam Challenge against Big John Studd (who was managed by Heenan). He turned on Heenan at WrestleMania 6 after the Colossal Connection lost the tag belts to Demolition.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Skinty McEdger posted:

This got me thinking: Andre and Studd were involved in two matches together at Wrestlemanias. The first time Andre was the face and Studd the heel, the second (where Studd was the guest ref) the roles were reversed. Were there any other pairs of wrestlers who faced each other at Mania in both situations?

The only thing that I can think of is at WrestleMania 4, Demolition was managed by Mr. Fuji and they were heels. At WM5, Demolition (now faces) took on The Powers of Pain and Mr. Fuji.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Got them mixed up, I guess. I remember Haku being involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zVMRbws_CQ - WM 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buupGX84aFA - WM 6

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

The Shaman of Cum posted:

The push didn't go to Bart Gunn at all. Brawl for all was a shoot tournament and Bart won legitimately. Then they put him against Butterbean because they were pissed off that he ruined Dr. Death for them, and Bart wouldn't turn down a fight (says hardcore holly in his shoot interview). Then Bart got de-pushed to hell and released shortly after

Brawl For All was a shoot quasi-MMA tournament meant to legitimately make Steve Williams the #1 contender for Austin's belt. The thinking was that it wouldn't hurt the other guys that were just kinda lingering around to be in it, either. Come to find out, Bart Gunn had a vicious left hook and dominated the whole thing, including making Williams looks like a chump in their match-up.

After he won, Bart wasn't de-pushed to hell, he was completely off of TV. He had 2 matches between the BFA Tournament in August and WrestleMania - neither to promote the match vs. Butterbean.

For the WWE, they had nothing to lose with the Butterbean fight. Before the show, it definitely was an added attraction. And had Bart won, the WWE could have capitalized on that and made money off of it. If he had lost, they could have their "revenge" for Bart derailing the Williams push.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

WeaselWeaz posted:

The hiptoss heard 'round the world, as Bobby Heenan used to say. Except it was a lovely slam. I always loved when Heenan was supposed to be full of poo poo, Gorilla and Vince would claim he was full of poo poo, and he was telling the truth.

WILL you stop!

I thought Ahmed Johnson's slam of Yokozuna was 10x more impressive than Luger's.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
That was at Judgment Day in 1998. Here's what Wikipedia says about it:

The Headbangers had met the New Age Outlaws the previous month and after dominating most of the match, won via disqualification when the Road Dogg broke a boombox over Mosh's head.[4] Despite titles not changing hands by disqualification, the Headbangers began to declare themselves champions, coming to the ring with toy replica belts and parodying New Age Outlaws pre-match speeches.

The NAO took on the Headbangers and Mark Henry & D-Lo (from the Nation) at Survivor Series and won.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Axissillian posted:

That makes no sense. The Dudleys could still use that name though because they had it before the trademark.

Would you want to bother taking the WWE to court or just change the name and move on?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Axissillian posted:

You are a fan who has not watched wrestling in years and see a flier for an Independent Show

MAIN EVENT: Team 3D

"Who are they?"

MAIN EVENT: The Dudley Boys

"Oh gently caress, I am buying a ticket"

Why would a fan who hasn't watched in years want to go see the Dudleys on an independent show?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Axissillian posted:

This is all beside the point, the Dudley name was trademarked by ECW and was their intellectual property.

If it wasn't, they could use the name and there was nothing WWE could do about it.

Put yourself in their shoes - they might have the right to use the name, but by suing the WWE, they would burn that bridge forever. Also, they might lose and would be out a lot in legal fees.

They probably decided that changing the name would allow them to work right away and make money, plus it would leave the door open for a return at some point in the future.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Axissillian posted:

But they are not the only people to do it

-Warrior won by proving he used the "warrior" name and gimmick before WWE trademarked it
-Christian went as Christian Cage because he went by that name before the WWE trademarked "Christian"

All the Dudleys would have to do is show in court with a videotape where they are "The Dudleys" from before the trademark and they win.

And the Warrior is persona non grata in the WWE, while Christian changed his name in compliance with a WWE trademark warning.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

He beat a woman for it though, didn't he? I'm positive I remember that.

Yes, Madusa.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Brickhouse Betty posted:

Because Jerry Only will go anywhere and do anything and slap the Misfits logo all over for money. And he probably costs about %2 of what KISS cost.

And probably .5% of what the No Limit Soldiers cost.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

In regards to late WCW, who was "Big Al" and why did he feud with Tank Abbott?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Green_%28wrestler%29

Also known as the Dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

What was his feud with Tank about?

A leather jacket, I believe.

EDIT:

I'm watching the Rise & Fall of WCW and during the Vader/Sting match from the Great American Bash 1992, they show Ron Simmons and Tony Schiavone sitting together, scouting the match. What was that about? Also, the next match is Sting/Rude from Spring Stampede 1994 - I saw myself in the crowd, which was pretty cool.

Rusty Shackelford fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 13, 2009