Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
What are you doing with the choke? You should set the idle adjuster and it should pretty much be done unless you're traveling up a few thousand feet. Sounds like you're riding around with the choke on at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Know what sucks? Not having a tach on your bike.... I have no idea what my idle is

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlueBayou posted:

Know what sucks? Not having a tach on your bike.... I have no idea what my idle is

Idle: yes.

That's how I judge my trackbike. Is it idling? Yes? Idle is correct!

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Z3n posted:

What are you doing with the choke? You should set the idle adjuster and it should pretty much be done unless you're traveling up a few thousand feet. Sounds like you're riding around with the choke on at all times.

Nope, I turn it off when I'm done warming up. The idle still acts funny. If there's a valve clearance adjustment that needs to be done, what would that do to the idle?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

Nope, I turn it off when I'm done warming up. The idle still acts funny. If there's a valve clearance adjustment that needs to be done, what would that do to the idle?

There's a few things that can cause funny idles...valve adjustment is one of them, carb sync is another. Could also be mildly clogged jets, Seafoam will sometimes clean up an idle nicely.

If it were my bike, I'd do the valve adjustment, sync the carbs, and finish it off with some seafoam in the gas tank.

Also, check that your choke cable isn't binding...I think you can see where it's actuating the carb by just looking at it while you open and close the choke.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

the walkin dude posted:

Looked through that page... 1,300 rpm is the answer to my first question, but what about my funny fluctuating idle?

Are you setting your idle with the bike fully warmed up?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the choke is a big stamped metal slide right on the front of the carbs. Can't miss it when you move the lever.

Also, keep in mind that the 1300 RPM level is really a baseline. If the bike wants to idle at 1700, that's fine. Basically it should be somewhere around 1300 RPM.

Still a good idea to do the adjustments/carb sync, though.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Odd question that I didn't see any good info on with a quick Google. What does a Ninja 250 engine weigh? I'm trying to figure out what the weight of the bike is without the engine...have a project I've been thinking about starting for a while now.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Odd question that I didn't see any good info on with a quick Google. What does a Ninja 250 engine weigh? I'm trying to figure out what the weight of the bike is without the engine...have a project I've been thinking about starting for a while now.

RD350 Ninja250, or electric Ninja250?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

blugu64 posted:

If you're thinking RD350 might as well go full on RZ350 or Banshee.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
drat. The 250 looks like a weekend project, perhaps, for me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

blugu64 posted:

Electric, right now debating between a ninja 250 which is cheap and easy to get or something like one of the few street legal 50cc bikes which are harder to find. Hadn't heard of a rd350 build but that would be drat fun too.

Either way it will likely be a long project but my goal is to run Deals Gap with it once and a while and use it as a test bed for a few ideas I've got.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Electric, right now debating between a ninja 250 which is cheap and easy to get or something like one of the few street legal 50cc bikes which are harder to find. Hadn't heard of a rd350 build but that would be drat fun too.

Either way it will likely be a long project but my goal is to run Deals Gap with it once and a while and use it as a test bed for a few ideas I've got.

I'd stick with Ninja250 as parts would be easier to find incase you messed something up on the way. That or I've seen some of the cheapo chinese manufacturers (lifan?) offer a rolling chassis.

EDIT:Ya like this guy. $650 + $395 shipping for a brand new lifan frame and everything but the engine.
http://lennonrodgers.googlepages.com/motorcyclepurchaseinformation

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 2, 2009

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

Has anyone put on new grips or heavy bar ends to reduce vibration at high speeds? How much did it help?

I finally manned up and took my 08 on the highway for the first time and after riding at 70+ for 30 minutes, my hands were pretty tingly. Definitely need to pick up some ear plugs, too.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
There is a scooter repair shop down the street from where I work, and earlier this week I noticed a nice Ninja 250 sitting out front. I called the guy last night to see if it was for sale and for how much. He said its a 2005 with 7k miles and he's asking $1500. Is this price about right for that year? I've been looking at craigslist almost daily and the few in my area (memphis) are going for over $2k.

StroMotion
May 8, 2009

crazyivan45 posted:

There is a scooter repair shop down the street from where I work, and earlier this week I noticed a nice Ninja 250 sitting out front. I called the guy last night to see if it was for sale and for how much. He said its a 2005 with 7k miles and he's asking $1500. Is this price about right for that year? I've been looking at craigslist almost daily and the few in my area (memphis) are going for over $2k.

That seems remarkably cheap to me, most of the ones in the VA area are at least $2000, and they seldom drop below $1800, unless it's for a really early 00s or 90s model.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
I'm going to go take a closer look at it today. I really do want another bike, but I was hoping to wait until spring. If this bike is in good shape it feels like it would be foolish to pass it up.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Hey guys, if I dont have the tool kit that came with my 250, how does one change the spark plugs? What tools would I need from, say, harbor freight?

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

the walkin dude posted:

Hey guys, if I dont have the tool kit that came with my 250, how does one change the spark plugs? What tools would I need from, say, harbor freight?

All you need is a spark plug socket, a ratchet, a short extension, another socket (10mm I think) for pulling the gas tank, and some gap gauges to make sure the new plugs are gapped properly. Any auto parts store will carry the appropriate spark plug socket and gap gauge.

Don't get this kind of gap gauge, as they're worthless for anything but being a keychain:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Get something like this, that has discrete gauges and a tool for adjusting the gap:

Pull gas tank.

Gently pull wires off spark plugs.

Remove spark plugs with spark plug socket.

Check gap on new plugs (.6mm to .7mm). They'll likely be correct, but always check.

Brush anti-seize compound on the threads. (optional)

Being careful to not crossthread the plug, insert the new plug with your socket and extension. Hand tighten.

When finger tight, give it another 1/2 turn with the ratchet.

Replace wires

Replace gas tank.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Thanks for the guide. What spark plug socket size should I get? After intensive researching I found someone who suggested 5/8''. This cool?

Sphyx
May 23, 2005
I am made of magic.
Troubleshooting a 2003 250 that wouldn't start at first, and if it ever does will idle just fine, but dies the moment the clutch is pulled in 1st. It only sat for maybe 36 hours, I've been riding it regularly for months. The carbs haven't been cleaned in a long while, so that was recommended to me, as well as checking the spark plugs and making sure the battery's charged. Anything else I can check/test? I'm throwing in a bonus oil change while I'm working on it since the weather's still nice. So much for studying~ :unsmith:

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

the walkin dude posted:

Thanks for the guide. What spark plug socket size should I get? After intensive researching I found someone who suggested 5/8''. This cool?

One other thing: always (ALWAYS) get NGK or Denso spark plugs; the Autolite and Champion ones have been known to disintigrate during normal operation, which can destroy your engine.

Ask for:
NGK Part No. CR8E (For the 2008 and later models)

NGK Part No. CR8HSA (for the 2007 and earlier models)

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yup, I've got NGK CR8HSA's in my hands. But the singular question I have is if the 5/8'' spark plug socket I got is the right one?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

the walkin dude posted:

Yup, I've got NGK CR8HSA's in my hands. But the singular question I have is if the 5/8'' spark plug socket I got is the right one?

any ngk plug starting with C is a 5/8 socket
http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/technical/NGK-spark-plug-code.htm

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Great. For my EX500, I gotta have a specific spark plug socket that has thin enough walls to enter the tight holes (ie, CRAFTSMAN deep well socket, or the Kawasaki tool). Does it matter on the 250?

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
The random socket I picked up at an Autozone worked fine for me.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

the walkin dude posted:

I know you got your answer, but did you really not think about, I don't know, putting a spark plug in the socket and seeing if it fit?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yeah, but I wanted to make sure. :ohdear: It's been around six years since I picked up a wrench for a vehicle, and I didn't want to screw up and end up with a stuck spark plug or something. Assurance is always glorious for a noob.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Cross-posting from the questions thread:

So I'm following instructions for doing a valve clearance adjustment on my 250. Everything was going swimmingly, I extracted the spark plugs, and opened up the engine and started looking at the clearance of my first valve, the leftmost exhaust valve. So I went and started loosening the tappet locknut so I can turn the screw in it to adjust the clearance.

Resistance. Resistance. Just wrench... not too much strength... then the rocker arm popped out of its hole. Shocked, I tried putting it back in and it was tough. The cam itself was preventing me from lining it up with the spring/valve. After much attempting, I decided to pull it out and look at it. It looked as if one of the "wings" pressing on the springs had been broken off.

See that the upper part has that "wing" for pushing down. The other side looks like it's been broken off. I'm not quite sure. Are there supposed to be wings? And was it supposed to "snap" off like that?

I was figuring that it would be an easy task, but the rocker arm popping out and a possible break of the wing part? How would I fix this situation?

edit: Another picture to better see what broke off:

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 5, 2009

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

the walkin dude posted:

Cross-posting from the questions thread:

So I'm following instructions for doing a valve clearance adjustment on my 250. Everything was going swimmingly, I extracted the spark plugs, and opened up the engine and started looking at the clearance of my first valve, the leftmost exhaust valve. So I went and started loosening the tappet locknut so I can turn the screw in it to adjust the clearance.

Resistance. Resistance. Just wrench... not too much strength... then the rocker arm popped out of its hole. Shocked, I tried putting it back in and it was tough. The cam itself was preventing me from lining it up with the spring/valve. After much attempting, I decided to pull it out and look at it. It looked as if one of the "wings" pressing on the springs had been broken off.

See that the upper part has that "wing" for pushing down. The other side looks like it's been broken off. I'm not quite sure. Are there supposed to be wings? And was it supposed to "snap" off like that?

I was figuring that it would be an easy task, but the rocker arm popping out and a possible break of the wing part? How would I fix this situation?

edit: Another picture to better see what broke off:

Here's the diagram of that set of parts from ninja250.org: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Image:Eng_valve_assy.jpg

I'm not sure quite what you've done, but I think more and higher-res/brighter pictures would probably help.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Here's a better picture.

I tried taking off the locknut off this broken rocker and it refused to budge. Normal? Should it spin up and down and allow for the screw in the top to be adjusted?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Sphyx posted:

Troubleshooting a that wouldn't start at first, and if it ever does will idle just fine, but dies the moment the clutch is pulled in 1st. It only sat for maybe 36 hours, I've been riding it regularly for months. The carbs haven't been cleaned in a long while, so that was recommended to me, as well as checking the spark plugs and making sure the battery's charged. Anything else I can check/test? I'm throwing in a bonus oil change while I'm working on it since the weather's still nice. So much for studying~ :unsmith:

Stupid question, but is the kickstand up when you're letting the clutch out in gear? If so, then maybe the sidestand safety switch is messed up. Or the clutch switch.

StroMotion
May 8, 2009
This might not be the point of the 250 thread, but who's bored of the 250 and wants to get something bigger next season? If so, what do you want to get?

I'm looking really hard at a Street Triple, those things look dope.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I'm probably going to buy a 600 from one of the big four this winter while prices are cheap, then pawn off the 250 in spring. Pretty bland and boring, but eh.

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
Can anybody recommend a slip-on or full exhaust for an 09 that's not horribly loud? I currently have a Two Brothers Racing carbon fiber slip-on that's really loud even with the add-on suppressor. It looks cool as hell but I feel awful subjecting the neighborhood to the noise.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

deliverator posted:

Can anybody recommend a slip-on or full exhaust for an 09 that's not horribly loud? I currently have a Two Brothers Racing carbon fiber slip-on that's really loud even with the add-on suppressor. It looks cool as hell but I feel awful subjecting the neighborhood to the noise.

You could put a more restrictive silencer in there. It's cheap and worth a shot.

StroMotion
May 8, 2009

-Inu- posted:

I'm probably going to buy a 600 from one of the big four this winter while prices are cheap, then pawn off the 250 in spring. Pretty bland and boring, but eh.

This would be my exact plan but I'm a student and haven't got the spare cash to hold both bikes over the winter.

Gotta vote for the Yamaha out of the 4, man, I love the way that blue looks.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

StroMotion posted:

This would be my exact plan but I'm a student and haven't got the spare cash to hold both bikes over the winter.

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to buy an older F4i in the spring but I'm afraid it might be too much for me considering I only have 5,000 miles under my belt. Either that or an SV650.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

deliverator posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAbi7qLCcmg

Area P quiet core. I've heard many good things about them, mostly squids complaining about them not being loud enough and old people saying they are just right.

As to moving up in size, I still can't get anywhere near my 250's limits so I don't see a reason to upgrade. Once the bike has nothing left to offer me in the corners I'll probably move on to a Ducati mid size like the 848 or some such. Torque would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StroMotion
May 8, 2009

kylej posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to buy an older F4i in the spring but I'm afraid it might be too much for me considering I only have 5,000 miles under my belt. Either that or an SV650.

SV650's are pretty dope. I've got a 22-year-old buddy who's had a motorcycle since he was 14 and he rides an SV650. Says it's plenty of bike for him, which means it'd probably be plenty of bike for me.

I also like the idea of having more torque down low. Waiting to get to 8k rpm can be a little bit of a pain.

• Locked thread