Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Don't touch the carbs. Replace the battery and put fresh gas in it. Having the choke on full for the start when it's cold is normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Toss a full bottle of seafoam in with the fresh gas, too. Did you winterize it at all? Did you tend the battery?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Did you even turn the fuel on

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Forgot to update after the forums went down but I replaced the battery and put new gas in and after a bit it sputtered to life. As far as winterizing I just threw some Stabil in the tank and drained the bowls. I'm guessing the battery went because I just stored it in the basement over the winter and I never put it on a charger plus being a couple years old. Does leaving it on the tender the whole winter really make a significant difference?

punch drunk fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 5, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Absolutely.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Just got a Ninja 250 after two years without a vehicle. It's my fifth bike and I am more than satisfied with it. A 600 or larger would have been a horrible mistake for riding around this crowded-rear end city.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I love riding around Chicago, especially downtown, on my EX250 (old-skool version). But I'm not gonna front and say that I'm not assuming (and hoping) that tearassing around the city (and my enjoyment thereof) will go up (at least) proportionately with displacement.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I chose the EX250 over a Bandit 1200 precisely because I live in the city. Big fast bikes are just not fun on city streets. Add in the large bike's far worse low-speed handling and it's no contest.

I know this because I used to own a ZX-6 and gently caress that thing on anything besides a track or open highway.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

A little good samaritan(...ism?) never hurt anyone. Followed a dude having trouble with his Harley (backfiring loudly and constantly shooting flames out of the tailpipe) to the nearest gas station to make sure he was alright, ended up shooting the poo poo about the Ninjette for a while. Gave me his number and said to call him before I sold it to anyone else. Shouldn't have told him how much I paid for it for right before that. :v:

Unrelated: My forks feel shot. Nearly constant bobblehead sensation and the front wheel feels like it's skittering along in fast turns. What's the best way to get the front end off of the ground to remove/rebuild them? I don't have a garage, I'll be doing this on a reasonably level parking lot.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I took my tank and off to clean the carbs a couple months ago but only just got around to it. I finished putting it back together, but I noticed the nozzle for the second opening on the petcock is gone. Not the bigger one that runs from the far left of the carb, the smaller one that sitting under the "off" position of the switch. Is this something that can fall out? The tank just sat. Do I have to get a new petcock?

Either way...gently caress

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

Unrelated: My forks feel shot. Nearly constant bobblehead sensation and the front wheel feels like it's skittering along in fast turns. What's the best way to get the front end off of the ground to remove/rebuild them? I don't have a garage, I'll be doing this on a reasonably level parking lot.

I'm in the same position wrt no garage. If you haven't got a triple tree front stand, I've seen people recommend cinderblock with some wood boards on the top. Put the bike on the centerstand and shove that under the front of the engine, it should be good enough unless it's hella windy.

I just installed new brakepads and SS brake lines and now my front suspension feels like poo poo in comparison. So my own front suspension question is: does installing fancy-rear end springs require drilling holes like gold valve emulators do? I'm still trying to decide if it's worth it spending that much effort/cash on a pregen that's got crappy resale value (hosed fairings).

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I took my tank and off to clean the carbs a couple months ago but only just got around to it. I finished putting it back together, but I noticed the nozzle for the second opening on the petcock is gone. Not the bigger one that runs from the far left of the carb, the smaller one that sitting under the "off" position of the switch. Is this something that can fall out? The tank just sat. Do I have to get a new petcock?

Either way...gently caress

The last time I was removing my tank, that same nozzle pulled out with the rubber line when I was easing it off. So yeah, that happens.

M42 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 10, 2014

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Hmmmm, that sucks. One of the hoses that I was reconnecting on the top left of the carb, that run down into the middle had a metal piece in it. I assumed it was supposed to be there because it it fit the carb top left opening nozzle. Could there be a chance I mixed up my hoses and that one originally ran to the petcock? Or does that one always have metal end, I'm having a hard time finding it on the parts diagram.

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 10, 2014

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
So, someone knocked my bike over last week. Fell on the right side, looks like some gas leaked or something (it was hard to tell because it had beeen rainging when I found it) but I picked it up quicklyand moved it to a safe location. It worked fine for a day but then yesterday when I went to goto work it stalled out after a block from riding. I was able to restart the bike but it would jsut stall out again once I hit the throttle.

I left it sitting for a day and tried again, it started up just fine but it still stalls out as soon as I hit the throttle. What should I be looking for to fix?

rugbert fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 19, 2014

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
if it leaked fuel, is the tank empty? Might have to swap to reserve.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

kuffs posted:

if it leaked fuel, is the tank empty? Might have to swap to reserve.

Looks like theres still a lot in there

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Maybe someone was kind enough to turn off your petcock to prevent further leaking or something?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

rugbert posted:

Looks like theres still a lot in there

You're out of gas or the petcock is off, fuel/petcock vaccum line is pinched/disconnected or the choke is stuck open. But probably out of gas.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Z3n posted:

You're out of gas or the petcock is off, fuel/petcock vaccum line is pinched/disconnected or the choke is stuck open. But probably out of gas.

I just checked again last night, plenty of gas in the tank. Ill look for pinched vaccum lines this weekend. I also found that the oil sight has been cracked and my oil is basically empty (with fresh oil stains right underneath the cracked sight).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Running it without oil is not good - replace the sightglass, refill the oil, and then take it to a professional to get it checked out.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Annnnnd my bike was stolen! Problem solved. gently caress.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
drat :( Does your insurance cover theft?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Who steals a ninjette??

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Yeah insurance covers theft, but theres a $500 deductable and the book value of the bike is only $2000 so I'll be lucky if I get $1500.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

M42 posted:

Who steals a ninjette??

People that enjoy the rush of theft but dislike the rush of speed

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Three weeks ago the rubber cover for my speedo cable broke and I replaced it myself. Today the metal cable itself broke at the lower insertion point. Did I do something wrong? Was I supposed to grease it? It seems like just lovely luck but I've messed up simple stuff before.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

Who steals a ninjette??
Most of the theft reports we hear are mopeds or Chinese scooters. The slowest shittiest things you could imagine.

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
So...I did something stupid...

I decided to change my oil for the first time yesterday. Everything was going smoothly until I decided to screw the oil filter back in; the torque wrench I was using never 'clicked', so instead of screwing the filter back in at 14.5 fl lbs I just kept tightening it :(

I screwed it in by hand until I went to the wrench, but now the filter is stuck in there and I stripped the bolt. I'm looking to buy one of those gator grip tools for the bolt, but is there a chance that I did anything really bad to the bike? I'm really worried/frustrated since I've had the thing for a week and I've already hosed up an oil change. I haven't been able to screw the oil drain bolt, so I plugged that hole up with a paper towel, but the bike is just sitting in my backyard with no oil.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

To get the filter out just ram a flathead screwdriver through it and twist. Pull out and repeat until you can undo it by hand.

New filter is like $10. I doubt you did any damage to the actual part of the bike it screws into, more like just damaged the filter. They're only tin.

e: What do you mean by stripped the bolt? The drain bolt? If so, you should be able to rethread it (if you've stripped the engine-side of it), someone else will be able to explain that, I've never done it. If it's just the bolt itself you should be able to get a "new" one from a bike shop/wreckers or something.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 5, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
This dude tried to put on an oil filter with a torque wrench and then hosed up, I wouldn't be suggesting the screwdriver method for removing it.

In the future you put on an oil filter hand tight. And your bike is fine, just gotta get that filter off and replace it.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 5, 2014

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R

Shimrod posted:

e: What do you mean by stripped the bolt? The drain bolt? If so, you should be able to rethread it (if you've stripped the engine-side of it), someone else will be able to explain that, I've never done it. If it's just the bolt itself you should be able to get a "new" one from a bike shop/wreckers or something.

After I screwed everything back in I realized that twisted everything in too tight and tried to unscrew it, but the bolt head got stripped in the process.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Either the screwdriver method, a giant pair of channel locks or some other huge pliers etc for the filter.

If it's the drain bolt, in a pinch pep boys/autozone whatever should have some sort of metric replacement, if you can't get to the dealer. To get it out, I'd start by cutting a slot in it with a dremel or something and going at it with an impact driver or the biggest screwdriver you have with vice grips attached to the hilt.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just to be clear, is the filter jammed up in there by itself, or is the metal cover and bolt stuck up in there too?

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
The metal cover :(

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Are you sure you stripped the bolt? Mine usually stays up in there for many more turns than I'd expect and requires you to pull down a little to get it to pop off.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
All of you laughing at the use of a torque wrench or suggesting the screwdriver trick don't realize that the Ninjette uses an internal filter. http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Oil_Change_Procedure

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. Try the vice grips and pull as you undo it.

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
Ok, thanks for all the advice! About to go get my torque on

e: Fixed it! And the bolt is fine, thanks a ton!

Supple Moisture fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 6, 2014

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Most of the theft reports we hear are mopeds or Chinese scooters. The slowest shittiest things you could imagine.

Not sure that I like what you're implying here bro

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Cleaned and oiled my air filter tonight. As I was reinstalling it and adjusting the idle, I noticed this:

I'm... guessing that's not normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Leaky PCV?

• Locked thread