Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

kylej posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to buy an older F4i in the spring but I'm afraid it might be too much for me considering I only have 5,000 miles under my belt. Either that or an SV650.
If you've pushed the 250 to its limits and can't get much more out of it (I find myself wanting more throttle mid-corner in the twisties) you shouldn't have any problems. Or if you need more power for freeway commuting, passenger riding, or group riding (seriously gets annoying getting stuck behind a car or three unable to pass because of torque) I'd say go for it. A combination of all that stuff is what's pushing me to upgrade and I've got about the same number of miles as you.

I hear SV650's are badass but ugh, v-twin you will never be as sexy as an inline four :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

-Inu- posted:

If you've pushed the 250 to its limits and can't get much more out of it (I find myself wanting more throttle mid-corner in the twisties) you shouldn't have any problems. Or if you need more power for freeway commuting, passenger riding, or group riding (seriously gets annoying getting stuck behind a car or three unable to pass because of torque) I'd say go for it. A combination of all that stuff is what's pushing me to upgrade and I've got about the same number of miles as you.

I hear SV650's are badass but ugh, v-twin you will never be as sexy as an inline four :(

I upgraded at around 8k on my 250 and while I was perfectly capable of handling the 90ish HP 600 (Kawasaki ZX6E), it certainly didn't do anything good for my skills as a rider. Plus adding HP when I was 19 really wasn't a good idea, but I got lucky and survived it.

Wanting more throttle isn't a sign that you're mastering the bike, only that you're comfortable with it...I was comfortable with the throttle on my 250 when I moved up, but what I didn't realize is that when you've got that comfort is when you can really start to carry cornerspeed and learn proper throttle control and technique. If you're intimidated by the throttle it's impossible to use the throttle like you should. You'll always end up being late on the gas.

After 5k you're not even close the limits of your 250. That's the thing that's so misleading about motorcycles...people feel like they're absolutely hauling rear end, but it's just their brain freaking out because it hasn't adjusted to the sensations of riding a motorcycle. If you're comfortable with the limits on a 250 you're not going to have any problems passing cars, on groups rides, or riding 2 up with it.

I do agree on the "more power is nice" bit though. Especially for street riding. But you have to be careful not to use it as a crutch to make up for poor riding technique.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Z3n posted:

Wanting more throttle isn't a sign that you're mastering the bike, only that you're comfortable with it...I was comfortable with the throttle on my 250 when I moved up, but what I didn't realize is that when you've got that comfort is when you can really start to carry cornerspeed and learn proper throttle control and technique. If you're intimidated by the throttle it's impossible to use the throttle like you should. You'll always end up being late on the gas.

After 5k you're not even close the limits of your 250. That's the thing that's so misleading about motorcycles...people feel like they're absolutely hauling rear end, but it's just their brain freaking out because it hasn't adjusted to the sensations of riding a motorcycle. If you're comfortable with the limits on a 250 you're not going to have any problems passing cars, on groups rides, or riding 2 up with it.
Well, I don't think I've mastered the bike but I've hit up Deal's Gap a few times and really went at it pretty hard with a couple seasoned riding buddies. I could probably do more on the 250, most people probably always have more to learn and improve on, but it feels like I'm at the point where something bigger would be better suited. You're obviously more experienced than I and have been through all this junk first-hand so it could be that I'm way off base. I dunno, I haven't taken a 600 out for more than a few miles so I don't know what the difference really is. Passing and riding 2 up are no big thing obviously, they're just a pain in the rear end. Sometimes you run into that pack of cars that you wish you could zip past all at once rather than squeezing in one at a time.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The hurt report stated that accidents in the 3rd year of riding are greater than that in the first and second.

The inference from this is that as people become more comfortable with riding and think they've "mastered" it they become less careful and start taking more risks.

Something to keep in mind I guess, but I can't blame anyone for wanting more power.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

-Inu- posted:

Well, I don't think I've mastered the bike but I've hit up Deal's Gap a few times and really went at it pretty hard with a couple seasoned riding buddies. I could probably do more on the 250, most people probably always have more to learn and improve on, but it feels like I'm at the point where something bigger would be better suited. You're obviously more experienced than I and have been through all this junk first-hand so it could be that I'm way off base. I dunno, I haven't taken a 600 out for more than a few miles so I don't know what the difference really is. Passing and riding 2 up are no big thing obviously, they're just a pain in the rear end. Sometimes you run into that pack of cars that you wish you could zip past all at once rather than squeezing in one at a time.

Well, it's really what you want out of riding. If your goal is to have fun, then you should buy bikes that you have fun on. If you're looking to improve more as a rider, then sticking with the 250 for awhile longer will be better than jumping up to a 600 as soon as you'll be safe on it.

My only goal here is to try and help give a little perspective on things. I've definitely bought bikes for grin factor alone, and if you wait until you master a bike to move up, you'll never buy anything made in the last 20 years. It's just really about what you want out of riding. The 250 will help you learn to really carry cornerspeed and help you develop good riding techniques, and the 600 will have a shitload of power, amazing brakes, and amazing suspension, look great, and you'll love it for a bunch of different reasons.

If you buy a 600 though, I promise if you ever get back on a 250 you'll love the hell out of it.

StroMotion
May 8, 2009

soy posted:

The hurt report stated that accidents in the 3rd year of riding are greater than that in the first and second.

The inference from this is that as people become more comfortable with riding and think they've "mastered" it they become less careful and start taking more risks.

Something to keep in mind I guess, but I can't blame anyone for wanting more power.

I think you're thinking of the 18-24 month period (3rd six months), not third year.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Z3n posted:

Well, it's really what you want out of riding. If your goal is to have fun, then you should buy bikes that you have fun on. If you're looking to improve more as a rider, then sticking with the 250 for awhile longer will be better than jumping up to a 600 as soon as you'll be safe on it.

My only goal here is to try and help give a little perspective on things. I've definitely bought bikes for grin factor alone, and if you wait until you master a bike to move up, you'll never buy anything made in the last 20 years. It's just really about what you want out of riding. The 250 will help you learn to really carry cornerspeed and help you develop good riding techniques, and the 600 will have a shitload of power, amazing brakes, and amazing suspension, look great, and you'll love it for a bunch of different reasons.

If you buy a 600 though, I promise if you ever get back on a 250 you'll love the hell out of it.
Fair enough. I do appreciate it. Now I'm actually considering keeping the 250 around for commutes and weekends when I feel like flinging the poo poo out of a lightweight bike. drat it I need more money :xd:

StroMotion
May 8, 2009

-Inu- posted:

drat it I need more money

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StroMotion posted:

I think you're thinking of the 18-24 month period (3rd six months), not third year.

Uhh, yeah.. Something like that. Point still stands though.

I had the same kind of mentality when I was a new driver. Was really careful for a year or two as driving was still new, and then when I was 20 or so thought I was really good at driving and almost got in a few accidents because of dumb rear end mistakes and generally stupid decisions.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Z3n posted:

This is correct. I still rode my 250 a little after I made the jump the 1k and it was stupid fun to hop on and buzz around on. I wish I hadn't sold it.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Aftermath of hitting a deer on an 06 ex250. I'm honestly surprised it can still stand on it's own.

The insurance company totaled it and I got my check yesterday. Fortunately current market value was about 100 bucks more than I payed for it. I'm thinking a new 250, but I really like having a centerstand and temp gauge. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Oh, and the bike in the back of the first picture was from another kid my age (21) that hit a guard rail on the same road I was on just a week later. He was killed :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What's damaged on the bike? Looks like just fairing damage plus maybe some other minor stuff...buy it back, pocket the change, and keep riding it.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
I would have, but I just don't have the inclination to mess with it. As far as I know, the insurance company has already towed it to wherever they do something with it. I just don't have the money for more gear or parts either, all the insurance money went to paying off school already. It's a sad situation.

My boss also mentioned the possibility of the frame being bent. Is that likely?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Methusulah posted:

I would have, but I just don't have the inclination to mess with it. As far as I know, the insurance company has already towed it to wherever they do something with it. I just don't have the money for more gear or parts either, all the insurance money went to paying off school already. It's a sad situation.

My boss also mentioned the possibility of the frame being bent. Is that likely?

Probably not. The damage isn't horrible and usually the front end will bend before the frame bends on a 250.

If that boat has sailed, it's sailed...nothing that can be done about it. On to the next bike :)

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Pretty much, I'm fairly certain that bike was just cursed. Didn't help the VIN ended in 666. The biggest problem is craigslist around here is all harleys, dirt bikes, and 4 wheelers. A "wicked fast GIIIXXXXXAAAA!" will show up every once in a while, but it just seems a slim used market for my tastes. Oh well, I've got plenty of time to find something else. It's the waiting that kills me though.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Man, I think I agree about the cursed bit. How long did you have that bike? Couple months? Its a shame, it was in super shape when you first posted about it.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

sirbeefalot posted:

Man, I think I agree about the cursed bit. How long did you have that bike? Couple months? Its a shame, it was in super shape when you first posted about it.

Yeah, got it in july, started riding mid august. This was the third accident i've had on it. The first two were just inexperience, this was just some loving poo poo. I feel pretty bad about loving up the bike so quick, but that's how it goes. There's a couple at the kawa dealer here I might be able to get a deal on. I didn't even think to go there today. They've actually got an ex500 too. I might have to check that out.

The biggest pain in the rear end is that I was planning on taking a trip to the west coast with my brother in the summer, and taking it to Ohio for all my AWCI classes (provided I actually got in). My car won't last much longer and the bike would have been perfect.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
What bikes are you interested in? I'll keep my eyes peeled at the one dealer on this side of the state to see what used bikes creep into their showroom.

Sybok
May 25, 2006
where are you located? I have 3 ninja 250s and am always looking for others so i might be able to find you one.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Pvt. Public posted:

What bikes are you interested in? I'll keep my eyes peeled at the one dealer on this side of the state to see what used bikes creep into their showroom.

I'm thinking an 08+ 250 or an ex500. I saw a super-bitchen-sweet r6 at the yamaha dealer that's actually the mechanics', has the goofy fender eliminated and is priced to own (6k) but then Z3n mentioned earlier about being comfortable on a bike, and I realize I'm not. cornering still gives me some trouble, and I'd like to stay on a 250, at least until i'm 25 and insurance goes down a bit. Full coverage on my ex250 was 16 bucks a month, and that gives my inner Clark Howard a hard on.

So anyway, i'm basically looking for another 250. An '08 would be nice, but I'm really not picky, as long as it runs. I'd really appreciate any help, I get a little jittery thinking about buying a bike from some random guy. I bought my first one from a friend. Sorry for the long rant, i'm pretty drunk, so in summation, you guys rock. And shoot an email to chemoandreasen at gmail if you find anything super-bitchin-awesome.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Methusulah posted:

So anyway, i'm basically looking for another 250. An '08 would be nice, but I'm really not picky, as long as it runs.

The ninja250.org classifieds are probably your best bet for a maintained example at a reasonable price.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Methusulah posted:

As far as I know, the insurance company has already towed it to wherever they do something with it.

If its any consolation I can pretty much guarantee your old Ninja will be fixed up and back on the road come spring. :unsmith:

There are lots of bike recyclers that would be all over a fixer upper like that.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Well, there's this Black 08 250 I could check out for you if you're interested. I'm also heading out the door to go to the H-D dealer to check on Buell deals, and the other MC shop is right down the road. I'll stop in there and see what they have.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Methusulah posted:

I'm thinking an 08+ 250 or an ex500. I saw a super-bitchen-sweet r6 at the yamaha dealer that's actually the mechanics', has the goofy fender eliminated and is priced to own (6k) but then Z3n mentioned earlier about being comfortable on a bike, and I realize I'm not. cornering still gives me some trouble, and I'd like to stay on a 250, at least until i'm 25 and insurance goes down a bit. Full coverage on my ex250 was 16 bucks a month, and that gives my inner Clark Howard a hard on.

So anyway, i'm basically looking for another 250. An '08 would be nice, but I'm really not picky, as long as it runs. I'd really appreciate any help, I get a little jittery thinking about buying a bike from some random guy. I bought my first one from a friend. Sorry for the long rant, i'm pretty drunk, so in summation, you guys rock. And shoot an email to chemoandreasen at gmail if you find anything super-bitchin-awesome.
If you'd like something faster, there are options which won't completely rape you for insurance. The R6/R1 and their comparable Kawi/Suzuki/Honda equivalents will be more expensive to insure than most because they're fast as gently caress and lots of squids crash them, which then the insurance company has to pay for the fairings (at least) to be replaced.

My old Buell XB12 was like $250/yr, my current Speed Triple is like $300/yr (both full coverage). Things like an SV650 or FZ6 aren't too bad insurance wise, but few will be down in the vicinity of your 250.

If you're looking for a faster bike that won't be a mint to insure, look beyond the R6.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Also, you could always consider the "sport touring" options that Kawi/Yamaha offer; ZZR600/YZF600R. The ZZR is the exact same bike performance wise as the '03 ZX6R so it is a full on supersport, but it's decently more comfortable and cheaper to insure than your standard supersport. I priced insurance on a ZZR and it was double what my 250 is, which is quite a bit cheaper than what a CBR600 would have been, but it's going to vary heavily person to person. I'd at least give it a look if you truly want a bigger bike though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

-Inu- posted:

Also, you could always consider the "sport touring" options that Kawi/Yamaha offer; ZZR600/YZF600R. The ZZR is the exact same bike performance wise as the '03 ZX6R so it is a full on supersport, but it's decently more comfortable and cheaper to insure than your standard supersport. I priced insurance on a ZZR and it was double what my 250 is, which is quite a bit cheaper than what a CBR600 would have been, but it's going to vary heavily person to person. I'd at least give it a look if you truly want a bigger bike though.

The earlier zzr/zx6e is a fantastic bike. I moved up to one after my 250 and loved it and rode it for 50,000 miles, from all day trips up and down cali to trackdays.

Made from 93-04, so there's a lot of them out there, and good on insurance too.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 21, 2009

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

-Inu- posted:

That sounds really awesome actually. Yamaha had the fz6 here [wait, is that what we're talking about? -ed], and I really couldn't figure the difference between it and the R6 besides slight differences in the looks. I had never really thought about it, but that makes more sense. The worst part is that I can't even think about a bike right now because of other expenses that may or may not come up. Unless I find a good answer on financing, or get a substantial raise, I'm stuck dreaming again. Of course i got my first bike because my brother basically bullied me into it, I'm just too frugal sometimes. Hopefully he'll be back from New Zealand in time to give me some more irresponsible advice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Methusulah posted:

That sounds really awesome actually. Yamaha had the fz6 here [wait, is that what we're talking about? -ed], and I really couldn't figure the difference between it and the R6 besides slight differences in the looks. I had never really thought about it, but that makes more sense. The worst part is that I can't even think about a bike right now because of other expenses that may or may not come up. Unless I find a good answer on financing, or get a substantial raise, I'm stuck dreaming again. Of course i got my first bike because my brother basically bullied me into it, I'm just too frugal sometimes. Hopefully he'll be back from New Zealand in time to give me some more irresponsible advice.

The FZ6 and the YZF600R are 2 different bikes. I misspoke and should have said ZX6E.

The FZ6 is the last gen R6 with a more upright seating position, and the ZX6E and the YZF600R were older model sportbikes from when a sportbike could still be somewhat comfortable.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Heading down to the dealer today in about 3 hours to pick up an 09 Red 250r, I'm so nervous. :(

Edit:

Bought it, Love it. Pics later today as I am still at work.

Hazlen fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 26, 2009

Ethox
Dec 28, 2005
Sorry wrong thread.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Is the radiator cap for the 250 interchangeable with other bikes? Or is it one of a kind? I kinda lost mine over the duration of its being taken apart. Sighs.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

the walkin dude posted:

Is the radiator cap for the 250 interchangeable with other bikes? Or is it one of a kind? I kinda lost mine over the duration of its being taken apart. Sighs.

http://www.suncoastcyclesports.com/servlet/the-14840/86-dsh-07-Kawasaki-Ninja-250/Detail

There's a replacement part for you, which looks to be a lot cheaper than the OEM part on Babbitts.

Is it safe to use CR7HSA spark plugs as opposed to the CR8HSAs?

Hazlen
May 5, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Whoops sorry guys, been so busy the last 2 days I forgot to post pictures of my bike for you! Here they are. :)

Above picture looks a little funky because it's half in shadow half in light.

Like I said before, it's an 09 in Red. I love it.

Edit:
And because I'm lame and think it's cool.

Hazlen fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 28, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sectoidman posted:

http://www.suncoastcyclesports.com/servlet/the-14840/86-dsh-07-Kawasaki-Ninja-250/Detail

There's a replacement part for you, which looks to be a lot cheaper than the OEM part on Babbitts.

Is it safe to use CR7HSA spark plugs as opposed to the CR8HSAs?

I wouldn't use anything but the recommended spark plugs in it. Any particular reason why?

Cabledude, nice bike :)

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Z3n posted:

I wouldn't use anything but the recommended spark plugs in it. Any particular reason why?

Cabledude, nice bike :)

The dealer gave me CR7s instead of CR8s, and I didn't notice until I went to gap them.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

sectoidman posted:

The dealer gave me CR7s instead of CR8s, and I didn't notice until I went to gap them.

According to ninja250.org:

quote:

AGAIN: DO NOT run anything other than NGK or Nippon-Denso plugs in this engine. The NGK part number you want is CR8HSA. Number CR7HSA will work, but only in really cold weather (not "California Cold"). Be sure to switch them when the warmer weather reappears.

So maybe they run hotter? I would try and get the right ones instead, regardless.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

sectoidman posted:

Thanks for this! Way better than $30 from the local shop.

asdfsdfg
Jan 1, 2006
I've had my little red 08/09 250 for three months or so now. Have about 2200 KMs on the clock, but I pretty much just use it around town going to and from work.

It's going good but I've found that my speedometer is out by about 10%. I have to do 120 kph if I want to be around 110. Has anyone else encountered that before?

I'm thinking of nabbing a GPS and making some of my own markings on the dial.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

asdfsdfg posted:

It's going good but I've found that my speedometer is out by about 10%. I have to do 120 kph if I want to be around 110. Has anyone else encountered that before?
Yeah, the stock speedo is usually off by a decent percentage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

asdfsdfg posted:

I've had my little red 08/09 250 for three months or so now. Have about 2200 KMs on the clock, but I pretty much just use it around town going to and from work.

I'm thinking of nabbing a GPS and making some of my own markings on the dial.

About 10% speedo error is standard on pretty much all motorcycles.

• Locked thread