Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StroMotion
May 8, 2009
What have ya'll been seeing for used values for a previous generation Ninjette?

I'm getting ready to buy one as a first bike, and after lurking CL for a couple months, I'm in final negotiations to buy an '07 with a little under 4k miles for $2200. I feel like I'm getting a reasonable deal. The tires probably only have about 500 mi left on them, but everything else looks shipshape. The guy did throw some red flame stickers on there which are going to have to come off, but otherwise everything seemed clean during a test ride.

Anybody else have some recent late-season transactions for points of reference?

This is Central VA by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StroMotion
May 8, 2009

blugu64 posted:

The flames are stock.

Oh my. Can I still get them off?

StroMotion
May 8, 2009

Thanks. That site is awesome, I don't know why I didn't think to check there first. From what they've written it sounds like the back ones are no big deal but the tank stickers are more trouble to remove than they are ugly.

Hopefully I'll be back in a couple of days with pictures of a new 250.

StroMotion
May 8, 2009
Got my Ninja!

I picked up a black 2007 a couple of weeks ago, first bike, and I've been having a blast. One question:

The tires on this guy are pretty drat thin, not to mention a little squared-off, and I'm going to get a new pair in the next few weeks. I was mainly considering a pair of Sport Demons, with the stock sizes referenced on 250.org.

Good call, bad call? Suggestions?

I should note that I'm going to need to ride about a 1/4 mile on a gravel road pretty frequently. It's not a public road, it's just that one of my main destinations has a gravel driveway. So if there's a tire that's particularly terrible for that (not that they all aren't bad), please point it out.

StroMotion
May 8, 2009

frozenphil posted:

The best I've done on my '09 was 49mpg. Do you guys ride like little old ladies or something? I guess never really being under 8k RPM, and normally zipping along at 10k RPM, isn't helping me...

For me, being under 6k RPM on my 2007 means I might as well be on a 50cc scooter. Not really the point of having a motorcycle, IMO.

Now above 6k, things improve dramatically.

StroMotion
May 8, 2009

crazyivan45 posted:

There is a scooter repair shop down the street from where I work, and earlier this week I noticed a nice Ninja 250 sitting out front. I called the guy last night to see if it was for sale and for how much. He said its a 2005 with 7k miles and he's asking $1500. Is this price about right for that year? I've been looking at craigslist almost daily and the few in my area (memphis) are going for over $2k.

That seems remarkably cheap to me, most of the ones in the VA area are at least $2000, and they seldom drop below $1800, unless it's for a really early 00s or 90s model.

StroMotion
May 8, 2009
This might not be the point of the 250 thread, but who's bored of the 250 and wants to get something bigger next season? If so, what do you want to get?

I'm looking really hard at a Street Triple, those things look dope.

StroMotion
May 8, 2009

-Inu- posted:

I'm probably going to buy a 600 from one of the big four this winter while prices are cheap, then pawn off the 250 in spring. Pretty bland and boring, but eh.

This would be my exact plan but I'm a student and haven't got the spare cash to hold both bikes over the winter.

Gotta vote for the Yamaha out of the 4, man, I love the way that blue looks.

StroMotion
May 8, 2009

kylej posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to buy an older F4i in the spring but I'm afraid it might be too much for me considering I only have 5,000 miles under my belt. Either that or an SV650.

SV650's are pretty dope. I've got a 22-year-old buddy who's had a motorcycle since he was 14 and he rides an SV650. Says it's plenty of bike for him, which means it'd probably be plenty of bike for me.

I also like the idea of having more torque down low. Waiting to get to 8k rpm can be a little bit of a pain.

StroMotion
May 8, 2009

soy posted:

The hurt report stated that accidents in the 3rd year of riding are greater than that in the first and second.

The inference from this is that as people become more comfortable with riding and think they've "mastered" it they become less careful and start taking more risks.

Something to keep in mind I guess, but I can't blame anyone for wanting more power.

I think you're thinking of the 18-24 month period (3rd six months), not third year.

StroMotion
May 8, 2009

-Inu- posted:

drat it I need more money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StroMotion
May 8, 2009
What's the deal on winterizing a pre-gen 250? I ask because I live in Virginia, and while it occasionally gets real cold, we'll also have randomly nice days that make me want to still go riding.

Can you still ride a winterized bike, or what?

I have clearly done absolutely no research on this, feel free to direct me to do so.

• Locked thread