Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My red flame decals add at least 2 hp. Plus we all know flames get the babes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat I still can't believe how nice the new 250s look. If I didn't want to do some longer distance riding next year I'd buy one of those and ride it for a long time.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sectoidman posted:

I'm anticipating 'get a better bike' being suggested as an option, but I'll say up-front that I cannot afford one.

The Ninja250.org wiki brought up an interesting point when I was thinking about swapping in some suspension parts.

quote:

And now a word from Craig, a longtime racer and founder of Pacific Track Time. He's on the track 2-3 times a month from February through October:

* My track bike runs a Fox Shock with modified dogbones and Aftershocks rebuilt forks. These changes took a sporty beginner's bike to a full-on race bike. The difference is so big as to be indescribable. This setup is not cheap nor easy to do.

On the other hand, my street 250 has totally stock suspension. I've got a pile of shocks that everyone here talks about, including a new SV650 shock, a ZX600, ZX900, and an EX250 with preload adjuster, yet I have just kept the old OEM shock on the bike. While I am quite mellow on the street, I still probably ride harder than 90% of the people here and get by with the stock suspension. I'm not saying the bike doesn't get squirrelly at times, but when it starts getting out of shape I see it as the bike telling me that I am going fast enough for the street.

Any complaints I have with the suspension could almost certainly be resolved by better riding on my part.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

StroMotion posted:

This would be my exact plan but I'm a student and haven't got the spare cash to hold both bikes over the winter.

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to buy an older F4i in the spring but I'm afraid it might be too much for me considering I only have 5,000 miles under my belt. Either that or an SV650.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

frozenphil posted:

I'm sorry that you purchased a lemon, don't know how to ride, and or live in an area inhabited solely by people who drive modified SUVs. :(

Hey maybe his town has lots of Cayenne Turbo S'.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ugh time to clean the carbs. She won't idle or run without the choke way way open. I've been out of commission for the past month with some unexpected health problems and it seems like my bike has suffered the worst. I didn't mean to leave you alone for weeks without any sort of prep little Ninja :(

Goddamn carbs.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ribsauce posted:

So it should be a go then?

$1100 for an 03 250 with less than 3,000 miles? Absolutely. That price is so low that I might be a little nervous about its condition, especially considering it has slightly bent handlebars. Maybe I'm underestimating out of season prices or the drop in demand for the old style Ninjas now that the new sexy redesign is all over the place. For reference I paid $2200 for an 06 with a little over 1,000 miles last year, and that was after the spring bike rush. I'd wait for one of the CA elder statesmen like Z3n to chime in.

Today I took the bike out and froze my balls off for a couple hours. Somehow I managed to find the one other biker out today who happened to be a chick on a Ninja 500. After seeing it from the front and rear and toying around on some back roads with her I really like its half-modern half-retro look. When I first looked in my mirror I thought it was a big touring bike. Seems like it would be a nice gentle step up into serious bike land versus buying a 600RR or anything else in that class. I think that might be my next motorcycle purchase in the spring.

Seeing female riders in full gear on a bigger bike than you never gets less emasculating.

kylej fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 30, 2009

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Weinertron posted:

Why on earth have these things started costing so much? The only Ninja 250s I can find for sale on my local Craigslist are asking over $3000. I thought these were cheap bikes? Why is someone selling an '08 at "$3500 firm"?!

Like z3n said: wait it out. There's an SV I've been watching that started at $5000 about 2 months ago. He's now asking $4100. In another month he'll be down to $3700.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Said goodbye to my little Ninja last night. On to bigger things in the very near future.

I've been pricing out insurance on all sorts of new bikes. My Progressive insurance rate with an SV and ZX-6R is cheaper than the one I got with my 250 :psyduck:

• Locked thread