Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
So lets talk about Ninja 250s, As it can never be said enough, ninja250.org has everything you'll ever want to know about your bike, and doing your own maintenance.

Here's a good post about why you want a Ninja 250:

nsaP posted:

I made a post on reddit a while back mostly covering this so I'll just c/p, the OP was asking about getting a 600 but the points stand. I can't actually say why your instructors said that, but I'd think they either believe it, or they've seen enough riders that do "get bored" with the 250 and they know a 500 or 650 isn't a death sentence. The second part is true, while I love the little 250s, a gs500 is a fine starter bike as well. Just a bit heavier. Anyway:

----
When people say they "got bored" with a 250 what they mean is they got used to it's slow straight line acceleration and wanted more acceleration. If you just want to go fast in a straight line, by all means buy a 600.
If you want to actually learn to ride well, smaller bikes with tame, predictable motors are the way to go. It's your first bike, not your last. You should be focused on learning the basics on your first bike: clutch control, throttle control, braking and cornering. A ninja 250 is forgiving of beginner mistakes and great for learning the basics. It's no speed demon in a straight line but you're still quicker than half of the cars on the road, and once you get it up to speed, it's much more agile. I keep up with 600s and 1000s on the backroads because I can run the same pace as them even though they accelerate way faster. 600s are much less forgiving on newbie mistakes and it's a lot harder to learn throttle control on them, since you can barely twist the throttle without breaking laws usually. You can run a ninja250 to redline in 3 gears and you're only going 55. That's the top of 1st for most 600s.
People say to buy old ninja 250s because they are great learner bikes and hold their value, so after you spend a season on one learning to ride, you get your money back out of it and buy the bike you really want. Again, if all you want is the thrill of straight line speed then buy whatever and go wring it out on the highway. There's tons of riders like that and you can spot them by their poor low speed control, awkward body positioning and tendencies to crawl thru corners. If your goal is to become a competent rider, small and low power bikes like the ones in the FAQ are the right tool.
I'll say too that while a sv650, ninja 500 or ninja 650 are all tame and decent learners, they are heavier. A ninja 250 is 100-120 lbs lighter than any of them and when you're learning that is very nice. It makes low speed maneuvering so much easier. The other bikes are not* particularly hard, compared to like big 800 lb cruisers or something, but they are harder than the 250.

EDIT: I'm keeping my giant iron bull + ninja pic :colbert:

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Methusulah posted:

...scraped and cracked fairing™, courtesy of me not knowing what the gently caress. Oh well, I know slightly more wtf now.

ninja edit: i also got bored and put stickers on it. A couple more trips on the highway and they'll all be gone it's looking like. Until then, it's the rare Kawasaki Ziljdian/ Pearl.

We've all got that scrape on the fairing, at least I do. It's like exactly the same. I'll grab a photo tomorrow. Oh and did somebody say STICKERS?!?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Methusulah posted:

My bike is jealous of your stickers. She won't shut the hell up about getting her own. It's always "vroom vroom stickers vroom vroom" all drat day.

Edit: It's worth the trip way the hell out there for that pie town sticker. Was that Arizona or New mexico?

New Mexico off US 60. There are two restaurants that sell sandwiches and pie. That's it. Also go ride it. ;)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Any of you guys with the newer 250 ever ridden one of the older models care to compare the seat?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Lookie lookie what daddy just brought home :)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Anywhere I feel like ;)

Serious answer. I'm going camping with a few friends around labor day and will probably be riding on gravel/dirt/sand. I'm still debating which front tire I want to get to go with it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

SuperSlant6 posted:

thats a Duro dual sport, right? 60% road 40% off road. I just replaced a set of these I had on my KLR. they seem to be good tires especially considering the price you can get them for. I replaced them with continental TCK80s, not sure if I really like them yet, will have to use them for awhile to make sure though.

Those Duros do alright on gravel, well the rear did, the front was seemed a little "loose" in the gravel. Run lower pressures in them when you are in the gravel and you should have fun.

Post pics of the tires mounted on the 250.

This man knows his tires, respect. Ya it's a Duro Dualsport 60/40. I'm kinda anxious to see how they'll perform on that beach, so here's hoping. Even if it doesn't do too hot, I'm going to find some trails and have some fun with it. I'll definitely be posting pics when I dualsporterize the ninja :cheers:

Sloppy posted:

Anyone got an upper fairing for sale? Preferably 06 black, and not in multiple pieces :(

Stay away from my motorcycle :ohdear:

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 8, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

It's kinda moot point anyway as I'm looking at a few dual sporty tires for the front anyway.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Tell me more about track days. How do you know if you're 'ready' for a track day. I wouldn't want to go out there and just be a rolling roadblock.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

My ninja 250 is powered by sheer awesome.

(and reeses, don't anger the goddess of tiny confections, you've been warned)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

StroMotion posted:

I'm getting ready to buy one as a first bike, and after lurking CL for a couple months, I'm in final negotiations to buy an '07 with a little under 4k miles for $2200. I feel like I'm getting a reasonable deal. The tires probably only have about 500 mi left on them, but everything else looks shipshape. The guy did throw some red flame stickers on there which are going to have to come off, but otherwise everything seemed clean during a test ride.

That's a little high, especially since it needs tires. The flames are stock.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

StroMotion posted:

Oh my. Can I still get them off?

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_to_remove_the_decals_from_my_bike

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I don't think I'd ever paint my bike but if I did, I'd use glow in the dark paint, or cover it in reflective tape.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

That looks pretty sharp, and that 3m tape is pricier then I thought.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Resource posted:

I picked up a 2005 Ninja 250 as my first bike ever last Friday, and I'll be taking the MSF course at the end of the month. I'm having a hard time picking out gear though. I live in Texas, and it's been 100+ every day for a while now. Aside from protection, I'm pretty concerned about keeping cool. Anyone else in hot weather area have suggestions for what to look for?

So far I'm leaning towards a simple Shoei (TZ-R Solid Helmet) helmet, the T-breeze (T-Breeze Air-Flo Jacket) jacket from Alpinestars, and maybe overpants in addition to shoes (Alpinestars Octane Riding Shoes) and gloves (Alpinestars SP-1 Gloves). I've been reading a lot over at ninja250.org, but I would love to hear some feedback specific to the hotter riding conditions.

What do you think? Good for hot weather? Enough protection? Wasting money anywhere or not spending enough somewhere? Any suggestions for overpants?

I'm in Dallas, and I love my Olympia Airglide2. Really as long as you're moving it's not too bad. That T-breeze would probably vent even better as its all mesh, though you're compromising your abrasion resistance.

edit: If you're in the Dallas area, lets go riding sometime.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 11, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

all we know is, he's called the sklnd.

edit: oh god

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 12, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Looks like it's just below 92150A (grabbed this diagram from bikebandit)

EDIT: I can't quite seem to find it, and the service manual didn't seem to have any better diagrams. You might try printing it out, and the photo and taking it to the dealer and see if they can help.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 15, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

kylej posted:

drat I still can't believe how nice the new 250s look. If I didn't want to do some longer distance riding next year I'd buy one of those and ride it for a long time.

Who says you can't do both?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Upside Potential posted:

Im going to poo poo on your party and say that while the 2009 Ninja 250 is a cool bike... it loving sucks up the MSF U-Turn Box.

Heh. No offense, but are you sure its the bikes fault?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

frozenphil posted:

The best I've done on my '09 was 49mpg. Do you guys ride like little old ladies or something? I guess never really being under 8k RPM, and normally zipping along at 10k RPM, isn't helping me...

It's like, you're the only one that really gets me man.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Odd question that I didn't see any good info on with a quick Google. What does a Ninja 250 engine weigh? I'm trying to figure out what the weight of the bike is without the engine...have a project I've been thinking about starting for a while now.

RD350 Ninja250, or electric Ninja250?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Electric, right now debating between a ninja 250 which is cheap and easy to get or something like one of the few street legal 50cc bikes which are harder to find. Hadn't heard of a rd350 build but that would be drat fun too.

Either way it will likely be a long project but my goal is to run Deals Gap with it once and a while and use it as a test bed for a few ideas I've got.

I'd stick with Ninja250 as parts would be easier to find incase you messed something up on the way. That or I've seen some of the cheapo chinese manufacturers (lifan?) offer a rolling chassis.

EDIT:Ya like this guy. $650 + $395 shipping for a brand new lifan frame and everything but the engine.
http://lennonrodgers.googlepages.com/motorcyclepurchaseinformation

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 2, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Assuming you own a classic 250
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Adjusting_the_clutch_cable

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Shibaku posted:

My buddy bought a 250R a while ago and I brought it home from the dealer for him. It's tough when you get beat off the line by an SUV that didn't even know you wanted to race.

That, and the bike won't do clutchless upshifts.

After riding this bike once I no longer recommend it as a starter bike.

Sounds like it's either not running right or rider error

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

You need to ride a 4 cylinder 250. That's what you're looking for. Or one of the 400s, but really a 4 cylinder 250 is what you want. 20k redline, little loving screamers of engines. I do agree with everything you say there though. The bikes really show their value in being forgivable, flickable, and just fun to toss around. They're not going to wow you with power or brakes or anything like that, they're just easy to ride and fun as a result.

I didn't think we did, but were there any ever imported to the states? (by the manufacturer I mean)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Ya, if you go into it with the right mindset it's not too bad. I only pay people to change my tires because it looks like a pain in the rear end. Everything else I do, or a friend and I do over beer. Prior to this I had only really changed the oil in my car.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

You could probably track one down at a dealer, I never bothered and just used ninja250.org's wiki. It's the best resource for your bike on the web easily.

edit: To answer your question, if you compare your bike against the used motorcycle buyers guide you should have a fair assessment as to the condition of your bike, and just start the maintenance schedule from there. If however you've got some cash thats burning a hole in your wallet, take it to the dealer. ;)

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 3, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Looks like you guys with the newer Ninja250s got yourselves a recall!
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm?rcl_id=09V464&searchtype=quicksearch&summary=true&refurl=email

quote:

Kawasaki is recalling model year 2009-2010 EX250 Ninja 250 motorcycles. Porosity in the engine case could allow engine oil to leak, and be deposited on the rear tire. A small number of upper engine cases for the affected model could have porosity in the aluminum casting. This porosity occurs in the vicinity of a pressurized oil passage just above the transmission output shaft

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Cabledude posted:

(Even if it is sans fairings :rock: )

What do the new 250s look like sans fairings?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Merry Christmas. Winter is here. Adjust Your valves. Your mother worries.

Hey guys, it's no secret that properly adjusted valves make or break the Ninja 250. I've got more then my reg-fee's worth from this forum and want to help other new motorcyclists get started on the right foot. That being said, I want to offer you guys the use of my Kawasaki valve adjustment tool for 1988-2007 model year Ninja 250s. Naturally one only needs this tool when performing a valve adjustment, so it just sits and collets dust 95% of the time. All I ask in return is a toxx clause stating that you'll return it within 5-10days, and $5 to cover shipping. I'm currently moving, so expect this to kickoff early january. I'd also feel better about loaning it out to people who have at least had their ninja since mid-october, and have already posted in this thread, for obvious reasons. This tool isn't needed to adjust your valves, it just makes it a bit easier. Remember the service schedule is every 6k miles, and one at 500 miles. If you haven't done it and you've owned it since it was basically new or have more then 6k miles on the odo, you probably need to do this.

Prerequisites
1.Owned Ninja 250 since 15 October
2.Posted in this thread prior to this offer
3.Toxx clause yourself stating that you'll return the tool within 10 days. (If it's going to arrive later then 10 days, I won't care if you can show a tracking number/receipt/whatever)
4.$5 shipping (paypal works)
5.Post a cool photo of yourself neck deep in parts and valves (ok, this is optional)

Photo of the Tool:

There are two parts, the wrench and a flathead screwdriver that fits inside the wrench, you'll know what I mean when you get it.

Instructions:
Ok I'm not typing that all out. Go here

Things you'll probably want and other notes:
I may decide to stop, or modify how I'm doing this if I don't think it's going well (i.e. people keeping it for an extended amount of time), but if you really need more time, pm me or email me and we can work it out. It's more intimidating the first time you do it, block off an entire afternoon and take your time. You'll also want to have feelers, and a good wrench set though your toolkit should suffice. Optional but recommended valve cover gasket, and a pair of new spark plugs. They're cheap and you're going to have it all apart anyway, you'll just need to beg/borrow/steal a gapping tool. Also don't buy champion plugs, word on ninja250.org says they suck and explode your engine, I don't have personal experience but the NGK ones aren't too bad so I just use them. It's also recommended to sync your carbs when doing your valves. Carbs are black magic and scary.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Considering it's got 100 miles, is a 2004, and the front tire is OEM. I'd bet they're 6 year old originals.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

The special edition was just paint right? Nothing special about it?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Weinertron posted:

I wasn't set on an '08+, but I would have thought that bikes depreciate faster. The MSRP on a brand new '08 250R was $3500, and apparently there hasn't been any depreciation at all. I obviously would have preferred one, I've read that the engine has more low and midrange torque compared to earlier ones.

How is fuel economy and reliability between the pre-'08 and '08+? Were there any huge shortcomings that the new generation fixed?

As long as you keep up on maintenance, and get one that has been taken care of, the classic models were pretty solid. I had mine at nearly WOT for about 2weeks 8 hours a day or so. Needed a new cam chain tensioner (at 22k miles), oil, tires and chain.

EDIT: and the old ones look better :colbert:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Would you guys think ill of me if I said I was dreaming about a bigger bike? I really would like a little more passing power at 70mph or so, where I spend the majority of my commute. It sucks being stuck behind some terrible drivers and having no good way to quickly get around them while at speed.

Get on a diet fatty.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Wear a helmet in the parking lot, Corky.

Ahh, fair enough.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I've really liked the Metzeler ME-88.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

Fresh EX250 owner here! I just took delivery of BlueBayou's cafe-racer'ed out '04 Ninjette.

She's actually customized it so much that she removed the tac. Anyone know of any cheap clip/bolt on tach that I can plug in and just clamp to the triple tree?

Vapor units seem pretty popular, sklnd had one on his cafe'd 250 before he sold it for that pig of a bike KLR he bought. ;)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Daemoxx posted:

I'm 5'0 and about 120lbs with a 24 inch inseam. Can I handle this bike

You should be fine. There are lowering kits, but I'd give it a shot stock first.

Daemoxx posted:

thinking about picking up a motorcycle

You'll have to a couple times when you start out so don't worry about it :rimshot:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

You need to clean the pilot jets out. Setting the fuel switch to "PRI" (prime) should get gas into the bowls.

I don't believe the 250 has a prime setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Typik posted:

Looking to buy my first bike and have kindof been trying to overlook the 250 because I've always thought of it as a cheap bike that may not last long. Can someone convince me otherwise? Or are my thoughts correct? Also looking for a bike with the capability to take me on a ride through two or three states without making GBS threads out on me. Can the 250 do that?

I rode mine from Dallas to LA and Back, meandering along the way. 5.5k miles, all I needed was tires, oil, and a valve adjustment. I had to replace the cam chain tensioner as it started rattling, but I think that was going to happen anyway.

All in all I've put almost 20k miles on mine.

EDIT: Forgive my selfindulgence, as I've posted a ride report back in the day, but you asked to be convinced...

Starting Mileage, just outside Dallas

The VLA, those fuckers are huge BTW

Took a back route that took me on 30 miles of dirt roads and trails. Street tires Hell yes.

Dirty Dirty Dirty

Arizona...Not what I expected either.

Big rear end Copper Mine

Death Valley

Saw a sign and took another 20 mile excursion on dirt roads/trails in Death Valley (hilariously fun passing dudes in big rear end jeeps on a 250 BTW)

Santa Monica, and the end of the way out there.

Monument Valley

Four Corners

Back Home in Texas (still 400 miles from my part of Texas)

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 15, 2010

• Locked thread