Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instantoxen
Apr 22, 2006

Control Volume posted:

I recently had Lady Gaga songs introduced to me and I think they're pretty catchy.

Does this make me gay?

Yes, you should prepare to deal with the constant urge to bone every man rear end you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

If you have gay sex while Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say) is playing, you literally cum a rainbow. It's amazing.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well then I guess I should start buying lube.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Well then I guess I should start buying lube.

You don't need it anymore! Just listen to her new single and your body lubes itself up.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."
I got this loving song stuck in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uceCz0nltQ

I love this song - addictive hook, great beat, and she even sings a line in French. Haha.

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.
If you're willing to drop a hundred bucks on a preorder bundle package thing for The Fame Monster you can be the proud owner of a lock of Lady Gaga's hair.

Edit: VV I am glad we're all on the same page here. I feel less weird now.

Nova Bizzare fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 7, 2009

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Nova Bizzare posted:

If you're willing to drop a hundred bucks on a preorder bundle package thing for The Fame Monster you can be the proud owner of a lock of Lady Gaga's hair.

Is it wrong that I totally loving want this??

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

i hope not. My first thought was "Wow, that's a pretty reasonable price"

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Nova Bizzare posted:

Now I can finally fulfill my dream of creating an army of Lady Gaga clones that I've always wanted since I first read this post.

Seriously though, that's pretty fuckin' strange.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I thought about the special edition album just for the sheer bizarre factor, but no way I'm spending that much. Plus I'd never open the damned thing.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Nova Bizzare posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFU7DbU9-z8

I probably shouldn't have enjoyed this but drat, it's right up there with the power metal version of I Kissed a Girl.

Hey, look at that, it's Evanessence.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
New single & Bad Romance video teaser

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Fe6uHHhLok&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Fe6uHHhLok&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xl9lEPBnrO4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xl9lEPBnrO4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:toot::dance:

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.

angerbotSD posted:

New single & Bad Romance video teaser

So you're on ONTD too, huh? :v:

I'm really excited about that Bad Romance clip. I was hoping she was going to go for a darker look after her VMA performance, which I think was the first huge mainstream performance in a long time that was trying to say something.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Your Proud Pal posted:

If you have gay sex while Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say) is playing, you literally cum a rainbow. It's amazing.
This is true.

Lady Gaga posted:

I’m not trying to make your dick hard the way other girls are. I’m trying to teach your dick to get hard when it looks at other things.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Your Proud Pal posted:

Cherry, cherry, boom, boom.

threat level tesco
Jul 2, 2007

ArmoredBlue posted:

So you're on ONTD too, huh? :v:

I'm really excited about that Bad Romance clip. I was hoping she was going to go for a darker look after her VMA performance, which I think was the first huge mainstream performance in a long time that was trying to say something.

I guess that makes 3 of us then?

Her video premieres tomorrow, best birthday present ever. I have a slight obsession with Gaga.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Oddity posted:

I got this loving song stuck in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uceCz0nltQ

I love this song - addictive hook, great beat, and she even sings a line in French. Haha.
I'm not sure if says more about my sexuality that I like this song or that I recognized immediately that was actually a Jeremy Amelin video in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU39uuSVJzk

E: I guess the fact it says Jeremy Amelin at the very beginning would give that away but I didn't see that the first time. I was excited for a moment thinking they'd collaborated on that song.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There are several steps to Gaga conversion, also known as "being bitten by the Fame Monster", which parallel what this thread has gone through.

First, you may be initially repulsed by what you're experiencing. "This is trashy pop music," maybe. Or "Dude, she's totally a man, this is some Crying Game poo poo right here, you can see her dick right here!"

But she gets your hooks into you. Somehow "LoveGame" slips into your playlist "accidentally," or you watch that Christopher Walken clip or that South Park clip a strange number of times.

"I like Lady Gaga ironically," you start to tell yourself. Or maybe you're a little braver and admit that you do love her -- but you're scared to let anyone else know.

It's only a few steps from there until you're contemplating how much you're willing to spend on a lock of her hair, get a Gagatar, and are having your first gay experience

Lady Gaga posted:

I will say that I'd be a happy girl if I could make the whole world gay.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I miss you, CharlieFoxtrot. Let us commence the first Gaga-themed game of Mafia in Traditional Games, wherein you post every last quote that you've seemingly assembled.

We should also discuss your thesis sometime, let me know~

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.
I wish I was a woman so I could be gay for Gaga. Oh well, maybe I'll get lucky and she is a tranny. I'd say that'd be gay enough.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Nova Bizzare posted:

How much hair does she have??

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

robot roll call posted:

How much hair does she have??

A bows worth ;)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

angerbotSD posted:

Leeloo Dallas pokerface

Amethyst Citrine
Oct 2, 2009

7lip posted:

A bows worth ;)

Unfortunately she admitted that bow was made out of two packs of $2 hair extensions. I'm wondering if it really is from wigs she's worn, or if it's her actual hair.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Illandir posted:

I miss you, CharlieFoxtrot. Let us commence the first Gaga-themed game of Mafia in Traditional Games, wherein you post every last quote that you've seemingly assembled.

We should also discuss your thesis sometime, let me know~
Well, I'm working on getting it out this week to coincide with the release of the "Bad Romance" video (God, when is it going to drop?), but here is a snippet:

quote:

Fig. 3. “Lady No More Gaga”: Death imagery in Gaga’s work and beyond. From top, left to right: (a) “Just Dance” (b) “Beautiful Dirty Rich” (c) “The Fame: Part One” (d) “Paparazzi” (e) “Paparazzi” (c) Melanie Pullen’s “Half Prada (Hanging Series)”, part of High Fashion Crime Scenes

Also, consider this is Lady Gaga on writing "Just Dance":

Lady Gaga posted:

I was very hungover. I wrote the song in about 10 minutes with [producer] RedOne.

And this is her discussing the set design for her live show:

Lady Gaga posted:

The theatrics and story elements are in the style of an opera. Imagine if you could take the sets of an opera, which are very grand and very beautiful, and put them through a pop-electro lens. The design of the show is very, very forward, very, very innovative. I've been thinking about ways to play with the shape of this stage and change the way that we watch things. So what I've done is I've designed a stage with Haus of Gaga that is essentially a frame with forced perspective, and the frame is put inside the stage.

It's got kind of a triangular inset, like a diamond, and everywhere we're playing, the dimensions fit this box that I'm bringing, so it's this giant box that fits into every show. So no matter where I go, my fans get the same experience. So often you go into theaters and there's ambient light flying in from all sorts of places, and the audience is in different spots, and the stage is in different shapes and lengths and widths and depths, so this is a way for me to control all the light and all of the different elements of the show.

Two guesses which she cares more about

EDIT: Just think about how many pop stars could even tell you what the concept of forced perspective is

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 10, 2009

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Two guesses which she cares more about

EDIT: Just think about how many pop stars could even tell you what the concept of forced perspective is

She went to NYU Tisch, is this really a shock?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Considering that most people are surprised she can play an instrument or writes her own music, sure.

Also Illandir, I always thought that the lyric in your Gagatar was "got your Dre headphones" like the Beats by Dr. Dre headphones that are in all her music videos. A lot of lyrics sites say "dirty headphones" though.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well, I'm working on getting it out this week to coincide with the release of the "Bad Romance" video (God, when is it going to drop?), but here is a snippet:

She made a statement via Twitter/Facebook recently that it'd be Tuesday morning PST. I don't know if she means midnight or 8am. Regardless, I can't wait.

I realized that Lady Gaga is really the first pop act that I've ever been really excited about. I'm excited her new album, her new songs, her new show, etc. Before I would always think, "Oh hey, so-and-so has a new song. It's kind of catchy/whatever". I honestly never thought that I'd be waiting for a freaking music video to premiere.

Not only is she trying to do something different with her image/persona, she clearly has a concept and treats her work like art instead of looking for her next hit to get rich and famous.

E: Has anyone got their hands on a pair of Beats, whether they're Dre's or Gaga's? She made an interesting statement that music coming out of computers/iPods just sound so horrible to producers/artists because so much is compressed, and these headphones were Dre's way of trying to fix that. I thought about it because Thurston Moore recently said the same thing about his iPhone being horrible for listening music to, and as someone who only listens to music via computer/iPods, I wonder if there really is something I'm missing out on.

ArmoredBlue fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 10, 2009

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

ArmoredBlue posted:

E: Has anyone got their hands on a pair of Beats, whether they're Dre's or Gaga's? She made an interesting statement that music coming out of computers/iPods just sound so horrible to producers/artists because so much is compressed, and these headphones were Dre's way of trying to fix that. I thought about it because Thurston Moore recently said the same thing about his iPhone being horrible for listening music to, and as someone who only listens to music via computer/iPods, I wonder if there really is something I'm missing out on.

Yeah I'm riding the GaGa train too but look at what you're posting.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ArmoredBlue posted:

High quality VBR mp3s are indistinguishable from lossless source material in pretty much every double-blind test people have done.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

ArmoredBlue posted:

Has anyone got their hands on a pair of Beats, whether they're Dre's or Gaga's? She made an interesting statement that music coming out of computers/iPods just sound so horrible to producers/artists because so much is compressed, and these headphones were Dre's way of trying to fix that. I thought about it because Thurston Moore recently said the same thing about his iPhone being horrible for listening music to, and as someone who only listens to music via computer/iPods, I wonder if there really is something I'm missing out on.
Regarding the Beats, I was all ready to scoff at the headphones but I was pretty shocked to see that Headroom gave them a good review, so apparently at least one reasonably reputable site thinks they're good headphones.

Regardless of that, what Inspector_71 said is correct, but outside of encoding there's 2 other places that the audio quality could be degraded in some way. The most common thing that holds people back from experiencing the music as fully as on studio monitors (for instance) is the speakers/headphones. In general, yes, good headphones will make a big difference in the quality of your listening experience. The idea that there were no good headphones on the market until Monster came out with Dr. Dre-branded headphones is a lot shakier, but the basic idea that you're getting a suboptimal experience from say an ipod and stock earbuds is correct.

Now, other than that, there's the ipod/computer/iphone itself. While lovely audio output hardware can negatively affect the sound you hear, and portable devices are going to struggle to drive some bigger headphones, Thurston Moore complaining about ipods "maniacally compressing" the sound is just an aging dude being cranky.

Long story short: ipods are not going to ruin your listening experience. lovely headphones might.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

quote:

Now, other than that, there's the ipod/computer/iphone itself. While lovely audio output hardware can negatively affect the sound you hear, and portable devices are going to struggle to drive some bigger headphones, Thurston Moore complaining about ipods "maniacally compressing" the sound is just an aging dude being cranky.

Ah, that makes sense. Good to know I should be looking at headphones and not iPods and whatnot.

angerbotSD posted:

Yeah I'm riding the GaGa train too but look at what you're posting.

Hey now, the Thurston train is what got me wondering about the whole thing. The Gaga train was just decorated better. :colbert:

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

het posted:

Regarding the Beats, I was all ready to scoff at the headphones but I was pretty shocked to see that Headroom gave them a good review, so apparently at least one reasonably reputable site thinks they're good headphones.
I've trusted head-fi.org's opinion for a while now and they have nothing but terrible things to say about Beats. The sound isn't bad, but for how much they cost (like $300) you can get way, way better. If you are actually interested in buying high-end headphones, don't fall for the mainstream (Bose/Beats) and take a look around for what personally fits you.

edit: to clarify

head-fi forum posted:

I've listened to them on numerous occasions and find them massively overpriced. The bass is bloated and undefined, while the mids and highs are extremely muddy. The only redeeming factor I can give them is comfort; I found them much more comfortable than my beloved Grados.

My advice is, if you want more bass impact, look for some good closed cans, such as Denons, instead of buying the heavily marketed Beats. I would only tell you to buy the Beats if you found them for ~$50 or less (which is not likely).

40 lbs to freedom fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 10, 2009

Amethyst Citrine
Oct 2, 2009
So now that she's posted the video, is anyone else freaking the gently caress out? Every second is perfection.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Amethyst Citrine posted:

So now that she's posted the video, is anyone else freaking the gently caress out? Every second is perfection.

http://cache.umusic.com/web_assets/ladygaga/site/badromance/default.html

So. Awesome.

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.
I watched it through a feverish haze and had to sit back for a few moments after it ended to just take it all in.

threat level tesco
Jul 2, 2007
I think I love her.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There are several steps to Gaga conversion, also known as "being bitten by the Fame Monster", which parallel what this thread has gone through.

First, you may be initially repulsed by what you're experiencing. "This is trashy pop music," maybe. Or "Dude, she's totally a man, this is some Crying Game poo poo right here, you can see her dick right here!"

But she gets your hooks into you. Somehow "LoveGame" slips into your playlist "accidentally," or you watch that Christopher Walken clip or that South Park clip a strange number of times.

"I like Lady Gaga ironically," you start to tell yourself. Or maybe you're a little braver and admit that you do love her -- but you're scared to let anyone else know.

It's only a few steps from there until you're contemplating how much you're willing to spend on a lock of her hair, get a Gagatar, and are having your first gay experience

Ha ha ha, this is exactly what happened to me. It began with SNL, I hadn't even really heard one of her songs all the way through until then. I was pretty much blown away. I then bought her album and listened to it in secret, but my boss noticed it one day and laughed at me. He sucks. Anyway, I have started coming out of the Gaga closet to my friends and for a bunch of supposed hipsters and dirty hippies, they ALL love Lady Gaga. (Ok, not the straight boys. At least they won't admit it.)

The new video is AMAZING. I think I have watched it 4 times in the past hour. Oh, Gaga. :allears:

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
Well if that Bad Romance video wasn't the single most interesting video by a pop superstar in the last few years, I'd be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I thought maybe I was stretching a bit in thinking I saw some influence from Matthew Barney and Cremaster in "Paparazzi", but Gaga confirms my suspicions again. Jesus, what a video.

(These were all made for academic research purposes, of course)

• Locked thread