Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Just googled it and oh my dear God. That is soooo stupid. I can't stand most Japanese pop music but this is just the worst. What is this?? I mean it's not a band...And the difference is the music is terrible and auto tuned to hell. I don't know what a vocaloid is but God that sounds terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoTd918zhZc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
A vocaloid is literally a character made up to sell voice synthesizer software.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Maximusi posted:

Just googled it and oh my dear God. That is soooo stupid. I can't stand most Japanese pop music but this is just the worst. What is this?? I mean it's not a band...And the difference is the music is terrible and auto tuned to hell. I don't know what a vocaloid is but God that sounds terrible.

It's a voice synthesizer program, and it's actually really good.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've never heard of this before but I... like it!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Maximusi posted:

Hatsune Miku is a completely fake virtual pop star. She doesn't actually exist in any capacity beyond the art and the voice synthesizer software, despite being hugely popular and having done many "live" shows. You could make a new Vocaloid song right now if you wanted to, and it'd be just as valid as any other. Seems right in line with the kind of thing Gaga would go for conceptually, in my opinion.

I also think she's a more interesting (unintentional) statement on modern pop music than anything Gaga's done for a while, but that's another discussion.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 17, 2014

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The software project in general was developed by a dude who is a serious fan of William Gibson.

Vocaloid software is sold with a license that basically reads 'If you're a music creator and want to use this as your singer, the music is ALL YOURS.'

So Miku and the other Vocaloids are basically the exact opposite of Rei Toei. Instead of a central master computer cooking up maximum synthetic music tailored to the tastes of individual listeners, the software is owned by content creators who may have never had a voice to go with their music and released independently.

Electronic musicians using Vocaloid are starting to pop up in places like Bandcamp. I expect this will make more of them start to surface.

This DOES lead to a rather broad sweeping of musical styles, though. You can get REALLY poppy things like Melt...

..Or you can get things rather more serious like Magnet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t58xKQYStMU

And sometimes you wind up with rather experimental stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEtbN8AROCw

EDIT: May as well toss this one in to show where the state of the tech CURRENTLY is, since DIVA Live is a fairly old concert now. 'Tell Your World' was composed at around the same time they announced plans to overhaul Miku's voice bank to allow her to sing English songs better and sell her software in the West. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzF6uAZ8o3c

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 17, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'ma just leave this here.

WARNING: NOT WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nN6TfobhkY

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Nobody's gonna watch the whole 50 minutes, man, cut to the chase:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWsyp-R61Y0

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Sometimes you just have to look to the heavens, sigh, and mutter 'Damnit, Japan...' under your breath and carry on.

Sega is the sort of operation that will try to make money in any way they can these days.

(Ask a Sonic fan how their franchise is doing...)

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Gearhead posted:

(Ask a Sonic fan how their franchise is doing...)

On average, the best it's been since at least the Dreamcast? They turned things around a while ago.

But yeah, the Vocaloid games are... certainly a thing.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Less then a week till the ArtRave starts. I haven't bought tickets yet, waiting to hear impressions, but i had a blast at the roseland show, so I'll probably end up going.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Lady Gaga also has a new puppy, and by the looks of it, it's a BATPIG.

http://instagram.com/p/nUGOK-JFBV/

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Bina posted:

Lady Gaga also has a new puppy, and by the looks of it, it's a BATPIG.

http://instagram.com/p/nUGOK-JFBV/

oh my goodness :3:

I love that breed so much, so cute!

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

somnambulist posted:

Less then a week till the ArtRave starts. I haven't bought tickets yet, waiting to hear impressions, but i had a blast at the roseland show, so I'll probably end up going.

I surprised my wife with tickets, then we found out she'll be 5 months pregnant by time it comes around to the Vegas showing. So she wants to dress up with her bump as the purple Koons orb. So uh, we'll see how htis goes.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
So Lady Gaga is kicking off the Art Rave tonight in Florida-

Examples of what to wear at the concert-

What not to wear-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfcnyOp5msY

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Ugh. Wish I had chosen ARTPOP zone tickets right now :( The setup looks awesome. Hopefully I'll be able to go to a second ARTRAVE and buy the zone tickets then.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nah, if I end up going to one I'll probably just wear jeans and a t-shirt, thanks.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Apparently the DC show might get bumped for a Wizards-Pacers game, if their series gets to six games. The next day would be open provided she's willing to play DC and Detroit back-to-back. Nope, next day is booked for a Mystics game.

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 6, 2014

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I just saw a video of the perfomance of Partynauseous. I wasn't too impressed at first because it seemed like a demo of Jewels'n'Drugs, but when that techno part kicks in? God drat, that sounds awesome. Too bad that it only one and a half minutes long because I'd do anything to have a full live perfomance of it.

If she played Swine right after Partynauseous, it would be one incredibly awesome "dance your loving asses off" part of the concert. :getin:

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

Masonic Youth posted:

Apparently the DC show might get bumped for a Wizards-Pacers game, if their series gets to six games. The next day would be open provided she's willing to play DC and Detroit back-to-back. Nope, next day is booked for a Mystics game.

Philly show just got postponed from the 12th till the 15th because of the freakin' NBA and now I have an extra ticket because my little sister-in-law is going to prom that day. :sigh:

The response to the rescheduling is interesting.

"WHY GAGA WHY YOU SUCK WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO US? YOU ALREADY CANCELLED US LAST YEAR AND NOW IM NOT COMING."

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I'm irritated that she's going to Australia and not New Zealand. That's just insulting.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ZakAce posted:

I'm irritated that she's going to Australia and not New Zealand. That's just insulting.

This is going to be hard for you to hear, but if it wasn't for Lord of the Rings being filmed there literally no one who doesn't live there would even know New Zealand existed.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheJoker138 posted:

This is going to be hard for you to hear, but if it wasn't for Lord of the Rings being filmed there literally no one who doesn't live there would even know New Zealand existed.

Poor Jemaine and Bret.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Lady Gaga seemed to know it existed when she came here on her last 3 tours...

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

squeee posted:

Philly show just got postponed from the 12th till the 15th because of the freakin' NBA and now I have an extra ticket because my little sister-in-law is going to prom that day. :sigh:
They switched your show with ours, so mine is now 3 days earlier and MY WIFE is worried that her costume might not arrive in time D:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

Lady Gaga seemed to know it existed when she came here on her last 3 tours...

She just took a wrong turn at Tazmania. Who we only know exists because of a cartoon character.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

Masonic Youth posted:

They switched your show with ours, so mine is now 3 days earlier and MY WIFE is worried that her costume might not arrive in time D:

That was my first thought actually.. Now I have more time to plan out my outfit! Thankfully this concert falls during my week off of classes, so it worked out anyway for me.

Pretty excited!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Happy third birthday Born This Way. :golfclap:

It divided your fanbase, but it was worth it. Album owned.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

somnambulist posted:

Happy third birthday Born This Way. :golfclap:

It divided your fanbase, but it was worth it. Album owned.

When I first listened to it I was quite unimpressed and ended up skipping many songs. Bad Kids,Electric Chapel and Highway Unicorn was quite different from what we would expect from Gaga after the TFM era. But after having listened to it many times it has become my favorite album from her. It was a good mix between being incredibly poppy(Hair) and experimental(Bloody Mary, Government Hooker).

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Wow, that long ago already? BTM was a fuckin' good record. ...I still haven't listened to Artpop once yet. :eng99:

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

The Singing Chav posted:

Wow, that long ago already? BTM was a fuckin' good record. ...I still haven't listened to Artpop once yet. :eng99:

Have you tried grooveshark?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Singing Chav posted:

I still haven't listened to Artpop once yet. :eng99:

It's... okay, I guess. It's a continuation of all the dullest aspects of Gaga's music, without much of the quirk or bombast that's made her stand out in the past. If it came out in a few years that these were just a bunch of tracks she had lying around that got bunched together and released as a contractual obligation I wouldn't be surprised.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

sethsez posted:

It's... okay, I guess. It's a continuation of all the dullest aspects of Gaga's music, without much of the quirk or bombast that's made her stand out in the past. If it came out in a few years that these were just a bunch of tracks she had lying around that got bunched together and released as a contractual obligation I wouldn't be surprised.
I loved it(except for Artpop itself, because it just droned on and on and never went anywhere), personally. Although it might just be refreshing after BTW overdosed on the quirk and bombast - I like that album too, but it's tiring to listen to most of it frequently.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I think Do what u want and Venus are fantastic pop songs. :colbert:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I love about half the album and absolutely hate the other half.

Applause, Venus, Donatella, GUY, Artpop and Manicure are AWESOME. Everything else on it is awful.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Honestly I think Artpop is her second-strongest release, behind Fame Monster :shrug:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'd be curious to hear Volume 2 but somehow I doubt the record company wants to release the experimental second half an album that didn't meet expectations.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Like half of born this way is pretty good and like half of artpop is okay, and the other half on both albums is totally forgettable for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Platypus Farm posted:

Like half of born this way is pretty good and like half of artpop is okay, and the other half on both albums is totally forgettable for me.

This is where I stand on them too.

Honestly, the album that has the most tracks that I like is still The Fame. Fame Monster has a higher percentage, but also has way less songs on it total, though.

• Locked thread