Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

On some level I find her Cher cosplay to be weird and sad. Also it's not as good as the Nancy Sinatra version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

somnambulist posted:

The gays have an allegiance to Madonna

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I've been thinking about Gaga a lot recently, not really sure why other than that it's been a while since she's released any new original stuff. I still think Artpop is my favorite pop album of the last couple years (and hearing the mostly-mediocre new Taylor Swift album further solidified this opinion). Apparently her current tour ends in like a week; I hope she'll be working on new music soon.

Also: I forgot about the crazy iTunes Festival stream where she debuted like half of Artpop. I remember the title track blowing my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKRNGofmfGo&t=943s

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

abraham linksys posted:

I've been thinking about Gaga a lot recently, not really sure why other than that it's been a while since she's released any new original stuff. I still think Artpop is my favorite pop album of the last couple years (and hearing the mostly-mediocre new Taylor Swift album further solidified this opinion). Apparently her current tour ends in like a week; I hope she'll be working on new music soon.

Also: I forgot about the crazy iTunes Festival stream where she debuted like half of Artpop. I remember the title track blowing my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKRNGofmfGo&t=943s

That iTunes festival event was insane, and it definately set the mood for the rest of the album. Sexxx Dreams was incredible. But I remember liking the MANiCURE version she sang on the festival more than what was released on the album.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
Yeah, that video reminds me how much I liked the live version of MANiCURE and Sexxx Dreams.

She only does that heeeeeeaaaaaaaaaal me part in the album version once. That was my favourite part!

I think the album Sexxx Dreams is faster? Or the vocals a bit higher? It doesn't feel as sexy.

On the other hand, I didn't like Jewels N' Drugs live, but I listen to it on the album.

Mmmmm. Pancakes.

Dr. McCheese
Sep 19, 2007
I ♥ Katamari.
As it hasn't been posted about yet, there'll be a live stream of the final artRave in Paris in about 13 hours from now. I doubt I'll wake up at 3am to watch in my time zone.

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/lady-gaga

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Bumping this thread, since Gaga will be on at the above link in an hour.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
She's killing it at this concert now. Wow.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Bye ARTPOP :(

It was a messy era, but the new manager has been doing a great job so far with cheek 2 cheek promo, so I'm excited about the next era.

I still like the album :colbert:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Artpop is her best album, and that was a great show. Made up for her playing so little of it at the Roseland show I went to (which was otherwise an awesome concert)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Her dress for the artpop afterparty tonight-

https://twitter.com/LadyGagaNowNet/status/537143177958805504/photo/1

I love her. :sparkles:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

What a fun commercial for H&M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf5K7u8HNhY

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013
That was really cute.

Watching the ArtRave stream yesterday was lots of fun too; that must have been incredibly bittersweet for her, but drat if she didn't put on a good show. Manicure played live is the best Manicure.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm disappointed we never got to hear the other half of Artpop.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm disappointed we never got to hear the other half of Artpop.

She should really do a 5 song ep next. Sorta a companion piece, like The Fame Monster to The Fame. She doesn't even have to call it ARTPOP, though, with all the baggage related to that.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
I heard she's headlining a festival next year. I'm there for sure.

I was disappointed in artrave but I thought the album itself was very good. She simply didn't put as much effort into her live shows with this album for some reason, I know she can and will do better. Regardless I saw Roseland and artrave twice each.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I had fun at Artrave but it was easily the worst setup she's had. It makes sense, she fired her manager and planning the tour was probably extremely messy and unorganized. Everything seemed sloppy. I thought the Roseland ballroom shows were fun though, I'm glad I was able to go to one.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
She did another Howard Stern interview. It's great.

http://gagamedia.net/?p=20490

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Well I guess we have a pretty firm idea of what Swine was about, now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

Well I guess we have a pretty firm idea of what Swine was about, now.

That Artpop show she did for iTunes before the album came out made it pretty clear it was about sexual assault.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

That Artpop show she did for iTunes before the album came out made it pretty clear it was about sexual assault.

I remember the two big theories being that or abortion. I think this gives us a pretty definitive answer.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Or both :S What's harrowing about it is that she said that pretty much every music producer sexually harassed her except for RedOne. drat.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Maximusi posted:

Or both :S What's harrowing about it is that she said that pretty much every music producer sexually harassed her except for RedOne. drat.

All the more reason she should make another album with him :colbert:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Not much gaga news right now, but I really liked this summary of the song "So Happy I Could Die". I honestly never thought about it this way and now that I read it, it's almost impossible to not see it. It's like the FedEx arrow.

"It's easily her best written song. I mean, I'm hard pressed to even think of another song with a triple meaning in it, let alone another Gaga song. The entire song revolves around the concept of Gaga "touching herself." The brilliance is in the really well-constructed lyrics in which Gaga makes this a triple entendre. When we first hear "I touch myself and it's alright," we immediately think of masturbation, which Gaga herself directly references in the opening lines.

I love that lavender blonde

The way she moves, the way she walks

I touch myself, can't get enough

However, she quickly opens up another possible interpretation.

I am as vain as I allow

I do my hair, I gloss my eyes

I touch myself all through the night

Vanity is introduced as a theme, and we're now aware that Gaga's "touching herself" means fixing her hair, putting on makeup, etc. Unlike the vanity explored on The Fame, however, this brand seems much darker in the context of the song. Whereas "Money Honey" and "Vanity" mock-celebrated this institution, So Happy I Could Die paints it as a way for Gaga to keep herself together during darker times. She is the broken wannabe-starlet doing her makeup in a seedy nightclub bathroom, not the post-Fame blonde we saw in her first era.

Finally, the third and darkest interpretation of "touching herself" rears its head with multiple listens and a little help from Gaga herself, who says that the song is about addiction:

And in the silence of the night

Through all the tears and all the lies

I touch myself and it's alright

Usage of heavier drugs, such as heroin, is associated with "touching oneself." Shooting up heroin would require touching yourself in order to properly inject the drug. Gaga reinforces this idea with the line I touch myself 'til I'm on track, and gives it a much darker meaning than what we initially see. Drug injection leads to darkening of the veins which are then called "tracks," hence the term "track marks." It really makes you reconsider the line "I am as vain as I allow." Maybe "vein" is the more appropriate spelling. It is this way in that the meanings fold in on themselves that makes this song so incredible.

I touch myself, can't get enough.

Everything about the song becomes twisted and more and more complex as the meanings unfold. Gaga can't get enough of herself in her unending vanity? She can't get enough of whatever drug she's addicted to? Suddenly what initially seemed like a throwaway guffaw about masturbation reveals an undercurrent of meanings.

Finally, we get to the chorus, which perfectly exemplifies why this song is so powerful. It's one thing to write a song about depression, addiction and vanity with lots of meanings. It's another to wrap it in the tone that Gaga chooses. She sings in an ironic, floating, pop-voice and seems genuinely thrilled as she sings

Happy in the club with a bottle of red wine

Stars in our eyes 'cause we're having a good time

Eh, eh, so happy I could die

Be your best friend and I'll love you forever

Up in the clouds, we'll be higher than ever

I know the first time I listened to this song I didn't think of the chorus as anything but sugar-sweet pop perfection, something that would make me think of good times with a friend. However, when you apply the other meanings discussed, even the bubblegum chorus is sinister. Up in the clouds, we'll be higher than ever seems to be extolling how happy Gaga and her friend/lover/whoever she is singing to will be, but is also talking about death by overdose. She really will be "higher than ever" if she ODs and is sent to heaven, "up in the clouds." This is a really clever but dark play on words, given all the more impact by her dreamy delivery.

Meanwhile, the entire song is decorated with "Eh, eh, aha, ahas" clearly meant to sound euphoric, but something is off about them, as if Gaga is faking the entire song. She is pretending to be happy and cheerful, but is depressed, alone and addicted to drugs. She puts on her makeup and does her hair and projects an outward joy, but has demons on the inside.

Meanwhile, who is she talking to? The object of "Be your best friend and I'll love you forever" and who she's telling to "Just give in" is made incredibly vague and obscure. The opening "lavender blonde" line may give us a clue that Gaga is talking to herself, again forcing us to reanalyze every line and watch new meanings unfold. It also reinforces the lonely, empty, echoing quality that the song has. Gaga is giving us the most unadulterated view we've ever had into her psyche. Marry the Night who?

In my opinion, So Happy I Could Die is one of her strongest songs because it shows how powerful pop music is. A lot of detractors of the genre think that pop has no deeper meaning and is just cheerful, disposable music. Gaga twists this expectation by giving us a perfect pop song: cheerful, seemingly expendable with a bubbly chorus about drinking and having fun. But underneath it all is her leviathan of drugs, sex, addiction, loneliness, fear of death, vanity and depression. "So happy I could die, and it's alright," she insists unconvincingly.

I could go on, this song is much too layered for me to ever say that there's nothing left to dissect, but I wanted to show how So Happy I Could Die is truly Gaga at her most Shakespearean. Dance In The Dark, frankly, pales in comparison to the subtlety and sheer brilliance contained in this sadly overlooked and underappreciated masterpiece. And my favorite part? You really can listen to So Happy I Could Die either way, as a happy pop song or a work of dark inner turmoil. It's a psychological experience and a true work of genius. It embodies everything that is right about The Fame Monster and everything that I love about Gaga's writing and take on pop."

Context
Sep 11, 2006

I love this stuff, and I loved how the Monster Ball performance of that song was similarly layered. The winged robotic dress that was beautiful but restricted her movement, the elevated stage that allowed her to be enveloped by her fans but emphasized her distance from them. The atmosphere in the arena during that song was really special.

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013
So the Grammys are pretty dumb, but Cheek To Cheek is up for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album. No idea what their chances are, but hey, that's cool.

Nothing for Artpop, which isn't surprising, but I'm still a teeny bit disappointed. I'd hoped for maybe a Contemporary Pop Album nod, in a courtesy, "It Was An Honour To Be Nominated" kind of way, but no dice.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I also think Do What U Want with christina aguilera deserved a nom over dark horse for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance (I'm fine with theatrics, but I think Grammys should really showcase vocals), though "Say Something," featuring Christina is prolly gonna win anyway.

I also liked Artpop more than Prism for Best Pop Vocal Album, but I predict In the Lonely Hour by Sam Smith will win.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Sam Smith should win the award for dumbest hair there I said it.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I had never seen this performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6EbB8Stse8

So good :swoon:

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

Do you guys think she'll bounce back, or her time in the spotlight is done? I really hope her next era/tour could be a comeback story. I still think she's one of the best performers out there.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I think people grossly exaggerate how much she's "flopping". Her tour grossed close to 85 million dollars with only 79 shows, her "flop" album sold over 2 million copies which is nothing to sneeze at in this sales climate (its in the pits right now) , her Jazz album is selling great, she was just nominated for a grammy, etc. etc.

The reason it's so easy to paint her a "failure" is because her debut was INSANE. 15 million copies for The Fame/Monster? Born this way selling over 6 million copies? 5 grammies? A perfume that has sold over a BILLION dollars? Those numbers are incredibly hard to reach, now she's selling a normal amount and the promotion for the album was messy at best, the tour was sloppy, and she was organizing brand new management.

I can't say she will ever reach the attention she had at her peak (though who knows? even madonna did Ray of Light which ignited her back to the top) but she is doing just fine for now.

I also don't think we've heard the best from her yet. Her vocals have GREATLY improved and I'm excited to see what she does with them next era.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I don't think she's a failure, but I really miss when she was 'it' and 'the big thing.'

It's not that I don't enjoy her music when she isn't in the limelight as much, but I think she deserves to be the biggest thing out there..people are missing out otherwise. I think she is also happier and puts more effort into her tour when she is on top.

That's the only thing I'm super unhappy with, artpop was a good album, but artrave was lame. i don't care if it grossed a billion dollars, it was phoned in and i didn't enjoy it. the songs in artpop were so good, she could have done something mindblowing.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply the amount of money she made on the tour is relevant to how good the tour actually was- I wasn't really impressed either, but my bigger main point was that she fired her manager right when artpop came out, and it definitely affected the promo and organization of that era.

I know Cheek 2 Cheek isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the promo has been on point. She also seems a lot happier lately, and she isn't rushing to release a new record, she says she doesn't plan on releasing anything until 2016 now. She wants to spend more time writing good music, and she's been a lot more inspired which is cool.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

Do you think firing her manager was a big reason the last era was what it was? I didn't know about that.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

eternalname posted:

Do you think firing her manager was a big reason the last era was what it was? I didn't know about that.

Definitely. That situation blew up right at the worst time possible for her promo, and though it has never been said outright she has implied that he had rights/stake/control over many of the planned tie-ins (like the app, which AFAIK was meant to run off of his Backplane web service) which hobbled alot of the plans for the era beyond the album. Not to mention she has been going through some heavy personal stuff ever since her injury, and before (which is why she fired him in the first place).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I really want to know what the other things the app was counting down to were going to be. They probably would have been just as awful as the weird "make a weird shape thing, I dunno" thing that it launched with, but still.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

I really want to know what the other things the app was counting down to were going to be. They probably would have been just as awful as the weird "make a weird shape thing, I dunno" thing that it launched with, but still.

Originally it was supposed to eventually include some sort of sub-app for remixing the stems of each song. There were also plans to release extra songs from the ARTPOP sessions through the app.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lord Krangdar posted:

Originally it was supposed to eventually include some sort of sub-app for remixing the stems of each song. There were also plans to release extra songs from the ARTPOP sessions through the app.

Well gently caress, that would have been awesome.

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013
Seriously. I would have loved to have heard some of the cut songs from the album, Tea and Temple and whatever else. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wasn't there supposed to be an entire second disc of more experimental music at some point?

• Locked thread