Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Here's a link of the performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1HRp8XRUhM

I teared up, not gonna lie. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

She has always had a decent voice, and it's sad that she wasted years cultivating a bizarre persona that only alienates people and distracts from her talent. Hopefully she is done with the schtick and can just focus on releasing good music.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

the truth posted:

She has always had a decent voice, and it's sad that she wasted years cultivating a bizarre persona that only alienates people and distracts from her talent. Hopefully she is done with the schtick and can just focus on releasing good music.

I don't listen to much pop so I never would have given her a chance if she didn't have the bizarre persona.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

the truth posted:

Why do people keep saying this? She has six Grammys, has sold close to 30 million albums, 157 MILLION records, 12 guinness world records, was Forbes 2011 most powerful celeb...

Yes, maybe some people are getting bored of it NOW but she was way more than just a girl with a pretty voice, she was a cultural phenomenon and she made her mark by dressing weird and giving us masterpieces like the video to bad romance. (I got chills the first time I saw that)

She has many faces. This is just one of them.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
There are thousands and thousands of women who could've done the same job on the Sound of Music numbers that she did. There's a reason she's famous and acclaimed and they aren't.

If they're the ones you want to support, start going to your local open mic nights, talent shows, churches, choir concerts, college capstone performances . . .

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If she wasn't a weirdo performance artist I would never have gotten into her. At this point the "weirdo persona" isn't even out there as Katy Perry, and several other pop acts, have basically co-opted it all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There are always people who believe that "good music" = "technical skill" and there is nothing else beyond that equation. Pop music will never be something they can deal with, and they're probably the same people who think that Beck is categorically superior to Beyonce because he is a multi-instrumentalist

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

somnambulist posted:

Why do people keep saying this?

Because it's true. Many people were tired of her ridiculous ego and grandiosity by the time Artpop came out. I think she needed to be humbled by failure, however relative it was, and I am glad it was so easy for her to get such a positive response.

I did not invalidate the commendations and success she had with her first couple albums. I observed that she became so bizarre that many people started thinking of her primarily as a try-hard oddity with an enormous ego and a recording artist as a distant second or third. The overwhelming positive response and surprised reactions you can find scattered across the internet are a reflection of that.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I think he's right. Remember the godawful Born This Way cover art she made with the embossed font? The video for Edge of Glory she directed? She got too big too fast and assumed that she could control everything and that it would still turn out okay. Nope. I didn't mind her when she had the weird costumes. That was one of my favorite eras. After BTW she got waaaaayyy too much of a big head. She wrote those incredibly pretentious articles for V magazine: http://gawker.com/5801297/lady-gagas-first-magazine-column-is-as-annoying-as-you-expected

I don't know whether it was coming off all the drugs or the "failure" of ARTPOP, but I'm glad she calmed down.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Wow. Holy poo poo. That perfomance.. Nothing else to say, really. I hope this marks a new beginning for her.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

the truth posted:

Because it's true. Many people were tired of her ridiculous ego and grandiosity by the time Artpop came out. I think she needed to be humbled by failure, however relative it was, and I am glad it was so easy for her to get such a positive response.

I did not invalidate the commendations and success she had with her first couple albums. I observed that she became so bizarre that many people started thinking of her primarily as a try-hard oddity with an enormous ego and a recording artist as a distant second or third. The overwhelming positive response and surprised reactions you can find scattered across the internet are a reflection of that.

That makes sense, I think I misunderstood your initial point. I do think her costumes and persona turned people off, but at the same time it made her stand out in the beginning and it was a smart move.

I'd be fine if "crazy-ga" disappeared forever at this point, but I love her in high fashion.

I mean drat

Anyway, like I said before, this is just one of her many faces. You will see a rock and roll one soon I'm sure. Whether it will be well received or not is a mystery, but she is going to continue evolving.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

This is so exciting for me. I look forward to seeing Gaga evolve over the years.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Taken from Gagadaily.

She really knows the Pop industry, doesn't she?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That's fantastic. So is her apparently being cast in the next season of American Horror Story.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

They already did Freak Show...

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

HD Carole King tribute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqoSvVcBL58

Another day, another slay.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Seems like Madonna and Gaga buried the hatchet at the MET ball last night.

A collaboration would be nice to see.

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 6, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'd rather see Madonna stop making terrible music and go away forever.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
I'm in Houston and we saw Tony and Gaga on the 24th. It was wonderful and the lawn tickets were only $40.

Absolutely go if you have the chance. I hadn't seen her live before and I literally cried.

Jin Wicked fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 7, 2015

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

TheJoker138 posted:

I'd rather see Madonna stop making terrible music and go away forever.

I'm not a huge madonna fan but I'm not counting her out just yet. I went to the MDNA tour, and it was AMAZING. The production was just unreal, and she gave it her ALL. She wasn't lazy, she had fire still, and I actually enjoy some tracks from Rebel Heart and MDNA.

Ghost Town is a solid pop song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEcp2HlFBwE

As is Love Spent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auLbyinTitE

Her prime passed a looooong time ago, but I think a collaboration would still be cool.

I really want to hear Gaga's next record though, RedOne is the main producer and he made most of her biggest hits. Should be interesting.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

somnambulist posted:

I'm not a huge madonna fan but I'm not counting her out just yet. I went to the MDNA tour, and it was AMAZING. The production was just unreal, and she gave it her ALL. She wasn't lazy, she had fire still, and I actually enjoy some tracks from Rebel Heart and MDNA.

Ghost Town is a solid pop song

Her prime passed a looooong time ago, but I think a collaboration would still be cool.

I really want to hear Gaga's next record though, RedOne is the main producer and he made most of her biggest hits. Should be interesting.
The best way to listen to Madonna now is in the dance club remixes:

https://vimeo.com/126330160

That 1:35 synth :stwoon:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Apparently Party Nauseous leaked, Kendrick Lamar ft Gaga (you can tell her vocals are early demo, but it's still a bop. I love Kendricks verses)

http://yeezytalk.com/forum/topic/4734-kendrick-lamar-x-lady-gaga-party-nauseous-leaked/

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 21, 2015

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

somnambulist posted:

Apparently Party Nauseous leaked, Kendrick Lamar ft Gaga (you can tell her vocals are early demo, but it's still a bop. I love Kendricks verses)

http://yeezytalk.com/forum/topic/4734-kendrick-lamar-x-lady-gaga-party-nauseous-leaked/

Well, that was boring :( Then again I absolutely loved the ARTRAVE version of Partynauseous and wish it was an extra on the artpop album.

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013
Yeah, it's resoundingly okay to me. Not bad, but it leaked three years too late.

I just wonder what the "creative differences" were that lead to it being scrapped.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Boob Dylan posted:

Yeah, it's resoundingly okay to me. Not bad, but it leaked three years too late.

I just wonder what the "creative differences" were that lead to it being scrapped.

IIRC it was creative differences for how her voice was to be treated during production that led to her "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibes" feature to be scrapped, but for this song nothing went particularly wrong. It just didn't fit either of their albums.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I actually didn't like the ArtRave version much, the beat was dated but her voice did sound better. You can tell this version is a demo, her vocals are really unfinished.

I thought Kendrick killed it, this is more of a "song" to me.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Born this Way turns 4. Still love that damned album. I play The Fame Monster every now and then and some tracks from Artpop (namely the title track and do what u want) but Born this way easily gets the most playtime.

Marry the Night :allears:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Man, it's crazy how time flies. I remember following the prerelease hype like it was last week. Bloody Mary is my poo poo.

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008

somnambulist posted:

I don't think that would have fit at all on GKMC, so it was probably a good decision not to include it.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

So a megafan created documentaries for every album, the level of effort is crazy.

https://vimeo.com/album/3397665

Tons of interviews, performances, etc. etc. VERY well made too.

I haven't watched them all but it's a great way of revisiting stuff.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Singing La Vie en Rose at the Hollywood Bowl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwv9hYMRgiw

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

She sang Imagine at the 2015 Baku Games. I think it's fitting, especially with Putin in the audience.

On a sidenote: she has never looked better. She looks stunning here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTik0YV_L0Y

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

somnambulist posted:

On a sidenote: she has never looked better. She looks stunning here.

She tweeted a picture of her earlier today that's the first time I ever did a "whoa holy poo poo she's super hot" double take with her. It might be because she's kind of channeling Nancy Spungen in it.

E: Also she's over-singing the gently caress out of Imagine in that video. It starts fine but around 3:30 she gets too theatrical with it and loses me. She's belting it out the same way she did the Sound of Music stuff at the Oscars and I don't think it fits at all.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 13, 2015

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

The end was my favorite part :shrug: Gaga will always be extremely theatrical. Always has, always will be.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaga: Advocates for rape prevention laws, hangs out with known rapist and posts pictures of them together on social media calling him her buddy.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

TheJoker138 posted:

Gaga: Advocates for rape prevention laws, hangs out with known rapist and posts pictures of them together on social media calling him her buddy.

I still don't understand why she continues to do work with such people. After seeing all the poo poo on Terry, it's crazy that she still considers that creep a friend.

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013

TheJoker138 posted:

:cripes: Her friendship with him was incredibly misguided even before she started on her otherwise applaudable anti-rape advocacy, and I'd genuinely hoped that the advocacy - along with her opening up about her experiences with sexual assault, and the backlash she got from the scrapped DWUW video - would have lead to her ditching him. I guess not.

If there's one positive thing, I noticed that on Facebook, at least, the top-liked comments on that picture are people addressing his history and how Gaga really shouldn't pal around with him. I don't think that's actually going to affect what she does, but it's kind of nice to see her fans call her out when she does dumb poo poo.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Looks like Gaga is doing some work with the Dirty Pearls. Photography courtesy of Terry Richardson. :smith:

Sad day.

In recent news:

:nws:http://imgur.com/a/w3jEH:nws: Thoughts?

Snow White is 14. The image shows them holding her arms back.

Bina fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 27, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is the full version of her cover of What's Up from the Songwriters Awards up anywhere? I can only find a minute long version on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

That Snow White shirt is disturbing...

• Locked thread