Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
Concert dates just released:

Perez Hilton's site posted:

The dates for "The Monster Ball" are:

November 27 – Montreal, Quebec, Canada – The Bell Center
November 28 – Toronto, Ontario, Canada – Air Canada Center
November 29 – Ottawa, Ontario, Canada – Scotiabank Place
December 01 – Boston, MA – Wang Center
December 02 – Boston, MA – Wang Center
December 03 – Camden, NJ – Susquehanna
December 09 – Vancouver, BC, Canada – Queen Elizabeth Theatre
December 10 – Vancouver, BC, Canada – Queen Elizabeth Theatre
December 13 – San Francisco, CA – Bill Graham Civic
December 18 – Las Vegas, NV – TBD
December 19 – San Diego, CA – San Diego Sports Arena
December 21 – Los Angeles, CA – Nokia Theatre
December 29 – Atlanta, GA – Fox Theater
December 31 – Miami, FL – Knight Center
January 03 – Orlando, FL – The Hard Rock
January 07 – St. Louis, MO – The Fox
January 08 – Chicago, IL – Chicago Theatre
January 09 – Chicago, IL – Chicago Theatre
January 12 – Detroit, MI – Fox Theater
January 16 – Atlantic City, NJ – Borgata
January 20 – New York, NY – Radio City Music Hall
January 21 – New York, NY – Radio City Music Hall

While I only think her songs are okay-ish and I'm not rushing out to buy her album or see her in concert, I like her a lot for another reason:

In a period of time where bisexuality or lesbianism in pop music is portrayed as some kind of gimmick novelty or a weekend lesbian fling (looking at you, Katy Perry), Lady Gaga at least seems like she's doing what she can to support and speak out for gay or bisexual people without hiding behind some kind of "I KISSED A GIRL AND I LIKED IT, I HOPE MY BOYFRIEND DON'T MIND IT" irony curtain.

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

AMAZING.

(that is the covers for the re-release of her album, by the way.)

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Those are great, looks like something Hedi Slimane would shoot

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Back when they cancelled the Fame Kills tour, I sad "Gee, I hope she goes on tour with Kid Cudi next so they can play 'Poke Her Face' together!"

I got my wish.

He's opening on this tour.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Back when they cancelled the Fame Kills tour, I sad "Gee, I hope she goes on tour with Kid Cudi next so they can play 'Poke Her Face' together!"

I got my wish.

He's opening on this tour.

Damnit! They had Kid Cudi play at my school but I would have rather had Lady Gaga.

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

Basfreak67 posted:

She also did a pretty fantastic rendition of Viva la Vida.

If she could do more stuff like this, I'd be in love :love:

I came into this thread just thinking it was bashing her and her maybe weiner but I'm actually a fan and this is really loving awesome. It's great that she doesn't even really know that garbage song.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Pollstar and Ticketmaster are full of such nonsense. When do these tickets go on sale?

eXpired
Feb 11, 2004

Get in!
So this thread has actually turned into an unironic Lady Gaga love fest? Seriously?

Seriously?

shark week
Dec 22, 2007

Seriously?

Have you listened to the chorus of Paparazzi. Its pretty much perfect.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

eXpired posted:

So this thread has actually turned into an unironic Lady Gaga love fest? Seriously?

Seriously?

Its basically darker Cyndi Lauper, and I'm ok with that.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

eXpired posted:

Seriously?

Heh you're listening to pop music? That stuff for kids? :smug:

I wish she was playing somewhere I didn't hate going in NJ. Maybe I'll try to get Radio City tickets for XMas.

eXpired
Feb 11, 2004

Get in!

weekly font posted:

Heh you're listening to pop music? That stuff for kids? :smug:

No, it's not just that. She's the epitome of everything that's wrong with the music industry. More people talk about the stupid poo poo she's wearing or the "outrageous" thing she did last week than they do her music. I detest everything about her for it and am surprised that most people on this board don't agree. It has nothing to do with some stupid smug and pretentious opinion about pop music in general... I just loving despise this woman because of the above.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

eXpired posted:

No, it's not just that. She's the epitome of everything that's wrong with the music industry. More people talk about the stupid poo poo she's wearing or the "outrageous" thing she did last week than they do her music. I detest everything about her for it and am surprised that most people on this board don't agree. It has nothing to do with some stupid smug and pretentious opinion about pop music in general... I just loving despise this woman because of the above.

Who do you prefer within the pop music genre?

eXpired
Feb 11, 2004

Get in!

The Remote Viewer posted:

I guess it depends on what's considered Pop, which I'm not even sure about anymore. Billboard lists Kings of Leon as being in the pop charts, which I enjoy. The Fray is OK sometimes. Image is a part of any band, but these bands don't rely on it in the same way Lady Gaga does.

But if you're trying to make a point, then sure... I don't like 9/10 of the pop artists listed on Billboard's top pop list. I don't think it's fair to say someone's a smug bastard just for disliking the majority of pop music, though.

That said, fair enough... if you dig it, listen to it. Go nuts. I was just surprised that a thread that started as a troll on Lady Gaga (and was hilarious) morphed into a thread about finding concert tickets to see her.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

eXpired posted:

Go nuts. I was just surprised that a thread that started as a troll on Lady Gaga (and was hilarious) morphed into a thread about finding concert tickets to see her.

No it didn't.

Goddamnit tickets for her Radio City show start at 115 for shitville seats.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
Damnit why isn't she coming anywhere near Dallas :(

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

eXpired posted:

That said, fair enough... if you dig it, listen to it. Go nuts. I was just surprised that a thread that started as a troll on Lady Gaga (and was hilarious) morphed into a thread about finding concert tickets to see her.

As one of the people behind this thread, I can say with full authority that this thread didn't start out as a troll against lady gaga, but as a befitting way of having fun with an artist who is herself, all about fun.

That said, I do agree with your point that the majority of her "fans" are fixated on her persona and her actions, rather than her music in itself. Is that really a bad thing though? Pop music has always been about image and performance to a large extent, and these criticisms are really no different than some of the issues surrounding Madonna's early career.

What drives me crazy about situations like this is that people tend to fixate on the pop-driven singles rather than actually listening to the rest of her music, which is really quite expansive in terms of its range. Interscope is (was) primarily a hip-hop and rap driven label, and the songs where you can see those influences are way better, in my opinion.

I can't tell you how many parties I've been to where people talk about how much they love her, but end up only having Pokerface/Paparazzi in their playlists. This is a terrible habit.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

eXpired posted:

Seriously?

Yup. This pretty much sums up the thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ursTBD0sZ0

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

weekly font posted:

No it didn't.

Goddamnit tickets for her Radio City show start at 115 for shitville seats.

Where are you finding these for sale?

hugs

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

eXpired posted:

Billboard lists Kings of Leon as being in the pop charts, which I enjoy. The Fray is OK sometimes.

Those are both depressing, terrible bands. You should feel bad for liking them.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

VolumeOverTalent posted:

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

VolumeOverTalent posted:

My friend likes Kings of Leon. I hate all of his music. Therefore I hate Kings of Leon.

eXpired posted:

I also disliked her at first. Then I watched the Pokerface music video and was left speechless but I must admit it was loving catchy.

I spent some time trying to make sense of what her deal was. I eventually decided that there's no loving way that she isn't just a huge parody of the media. She saw what becomes popular nowadays (Reality TV and celebrities doing ridiculous things) and she ran with that. She found a way to spread her music and gain wealth and fame at the same time.

I think it was a brilliant move. As for that penis thing, she definitely started it to add to her image.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

Someone with something to say, not someone throwing together past superstars gimmicks/PR marketing to see how far they can go with it.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

LuckySevens posted:

Someone with something to say, not someone throwing together past superstars gimmicks/PR marketing to see how far they can go with it.

"The Fame" is as much a social commentary as "Pride and Prejudice" is.

eXpired
Feb 11, 2004

Get in!

Look Under The Rock posted:

"The Fame" is as much a social commentary as "Pride and Prejudice" is.

This. This is why I'm still reading this thread.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Illandir posted:

I can't tell you how many parties I've been to where people talk about how much they love her, but end up only having Pokerface/Paparazzi in their playlists. This is a terrible habit.

I'm a fan of Lady Gaga, but I'm in disagreement with regards to the depth of her work. The Fame really is a singles-driven album, which is why the latter half of it falls rather short. This falls in line with the way the album is marketed, which I don't think is far off the mark. She's not a self-produced artist, and while it's clear that she has a lot of creative control as much as songwriting goes, the production for the album feels more like a singles collection padded with filler, which is an unfortunate state of current pop music.

It's not right to criticize people for focusing on her pop singles, because they are far and away the best work she's doing, in terms of both songwriting and production. The Santigold disc suffered the same problem, but she was enough of a performer to make even the weaker tracks stand up live. I haven't seen Gaga live, but with her energy and charisma performing live, I don't doubt that she can do the same, but on disc, I think that the singles still stand out much stronger than the rest.

I really can't understand the backlash in this thread against Gaga, either - is it because it's mainstream pop music? I love independent pop music, but this Gaga disc has been better than a lot of electronic pop in the past year, including the electronic Yeah Yeah Yeahs album, Phoenix, Bat for Lashes, etc., at least in terms of singles (not as good Fever Ray). If you don't like pop music, why are you reading this thread in the first place?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

magiccarpet posted:

Where are you finding these for sale?

hugs

Just google "lady gaga ______ [town/venue] tickets" and you'll get links to sites like StubHub.

Also it's so disappointing there's no live acoustic version of "Again Again" anywhere. Probably my favorite song of hers.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

eXpired posted:

This. This is why I'm still reading this thread.

That was 100% serious, I will write an entire monograph comparing the two if you don't believe it.

(for real)

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
People like music that I don't, they must be trolling :smug:

I like Lady Gaga because her music is awesome and her crazy image is just icing on the cake. I'm pissed off at supid Kanye because they were coming to Dallas but his emo rear end had to cancel and now it looks like she's touring primarily up north. Sucks, because I like Kid Cudi too.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

LuckySevens posted:

There's not much left to do that hasn't been done already, honestly. Everything that was popular at some point will pop up again eventually when the market is ready for it.

eXpired
Feb 11, 2004

Get in!

Illandir posted:

That was 100% serious, I will write an entire monograph comparing the two if you don't believe it.

(for real)

I would love to read it. My joy from it doesn't care whether you're serious or not. I just think it would be funny.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

eXpired posted:

I would love to read it. My joy from it doesn't care whether you're serious or not. I just think it would be funny.

~unfortunately~

I subscribe to the Mark Twain school of criticism regarding Jane Austen, so I'm not sure it would be as funny as you'd like. Let me see if Tao Jones wants to assist, but either way keep an eye out for a thrilling comparison of stolid Victorian-era sexual liberation with respect to Lady Gaga's really good beats.

Really good beats.

Math Rocker
Sep 21, 2003

by Ozma
The beats suck. Boring and repetitive. El-P's song "Run The Numbers" (I don't know who produced the track) has set the bar for me as far as "beats" are concerned. It just keeps building and climaxes. I'm about to climax on your face you loving faggots. lady gaga more like lady blahblah LOL

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

stonedpanda
Sep 23, 2008

Stay thirsty my friends.
That wasn't funny at all.

I'm not really a fan of the whole club music pop scene, but I gotta admit Lady Gaga actually writes catchy songs that are decent and she is pretty drat talented. Not to mention she's a great performer and her over-the-top persona and fashion is pretty entertaining. I dismissed her at first as just another fake pop star with no talent, but after seeing her actually play the piano I was convinced otherwise.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

There's not much left to do that hasn't been done already, honestly. Everything that was popular at some point will pop up again eventually when the market is ready for it.

Maybe. I think I judge artists by their potential legacy and what they'll pass on, to me she's just passing on exactly what others have. I mean, each to their own, her music certainly isn't bad technically but I found with her its difficult to feel something new when you know where it all came from.

And this paragraph is the part where I try and convince everyone that I'm not a music snob. I'm really not :(

A SHAMEFUL CAT
Jan 20, 2009

~*confused dog noize*~

eXpired posted:

Heh, dumb plebes with their popular music and pedestrian opinions. *queues up "How to Save A Life" on iPod*

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

eXpired posted:

Lady GaGa has never been known for "the outrageous thing she did last week" because the only outrageous things she does is make great music and awesome costumes.

Jerk.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
I wish that the date that tickets are going on sale would just hurry up and be announced... I am already growing tired of checking every morning haha.

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande
I had no idea who Lady Gaga was until the whole "she has a penis" thing made the Internet rounds. She's hot as hell, but man is Poker Face a terrible song.

Hut I wouldn't be lying if I didn't say I found her bizarre rear end image entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Alright, I have found out that tickets for at least my stop (Ottawa) go on sale Saturday Oct. 24th @ Noon EST. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case for at least the first half of the tour.

Source: http://www.emediaworld.com/press_release/release_detail.php?id=796695

• Locked thread