Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Earwicker posted:

Why would you detest anyone for this :confused:

Hell as a musician it loving ENRAGES ME on one level, but on another level I'm pretty cold to it cause it's something you have to expect because this loving industry went to hell a long time ago.

I mean, she's obviously a real musician, she can play and sing quite well. She could be quite popular without the image bullshit, but whoever is handling her PR resorts to it anyway. I admire that she's a pop star with at least some talent, but come one, the stupid image, typical pop beats and songs about poker and stuff, there's no need for it, it's like music industry trans fat. But we all know people love their fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

I had to buy the album just to spite this "teenage Nirvana fan" school of thought.

You buy mediocre pop to spite schools of thought that don't exist(I don't even like Nirvana or grunge)? Cool man.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I don't really hate gaga or any other music for that matter, I just dislike a portion of the industry that she sort of represents.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

Tell me more about how pop stars should Keep It Real and not promote themselves. Ignore how Gaga's image is self-made and an important aspect of her art.

This making fun of things I never said shtick is already old.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Earwicker posted:

You certainly claimed that it was her PR people that are responsible for her image and generally implied that her existence and popularity is some sort of corporate music industry conspiracy, which is basically a bunch of dumb reactionary bullshit

Wait, what? I said she'd mostly likely be popular without all the bullshit, but the PR guys feel the need to do it anyway. I'm not ragging on lady gaga, I'm just gettin' mad at the typical pop music industry crap that comes with popular artists. Hell I even said that I admire that she's talented.

Look, I get it, I'm criticising a concept rather than the performer herself, and rather than looking at my arguments on their own basis, you guys just put me under the umbrella of the Nirvana-loving-keep-it-real anti record company dude, but I'm not one of those guys. Can you guys who like lady gaga seriously tell me with a straight face that sometimes the popular music industry doesn't take this poo poo too far?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Earwicker posted:

Yeah exactly, what makes you think her image is the result of these anonymous "PR guys"? Her image is her own work and as the poster above mentioned, a very important part of her art. You seem to be missing that. Her image isn't what it is because of some mysterious corporate "need to do it anyway" - her image is what it is because she wants it to be, because its key to what she's doing.

I guess the whole gist of what I was saying is that the idea that style and image are so important to a musician makes me uncomfortable. Although I think I'm being a little too idealistic there, perhaps the image of a live performer matters a lot. I'm not going to pretend I think I've been completely in the right here but I just wanted to make it clear that style over substance in music has always made me uncomfortable. This is an entirely personal thing.

Earwicker posted:

That's a bit challenging when you haven't really defined what either "this poo poo" or "too far" mean

I was talking about the image stuff, I just thought reiterating myself constantly was pointless and just assumed you know what I meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Earwicker posted:

Why? Lady Gaga's act is not purely about music, image and fashion are a huge part of it, and a ton of creativity goes into that. What exactly makes you uncomfortable about it? Furthermore why do you seem to think that fashion is not substance? In a lot of art, style is substance, and the music world is certainly no exception to that.

Like I said, maybe I'm too idealistic. In my head, it's all about the music, everything is a very distant secondary issue. Well...I guess it's exactly this type of attitude that lead to the grunge movement. Good god I am that Nirvana kid.

• Locked thread