Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Well, that was much better than Edge of Glory.

The cyborg thing made me think of Beyonce, and the self-love thing reminded me of the first Futurama movie (with the aliens).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I thought there already was a video for Marry The Night that was wrongly released as the video for Edge of Glory.

:colbert:

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Holy crap, The Darkness are the opening act in Europe? If only that was the case in New Zealand as well. I really liked Permission To Land.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Personally, I liked all of the songs to one degree or another (yes, even "Jewels and Drugs"). For future singles, I think the best ones would be ARTPOP and MANiCure, maybe Sex Dreams (it's certainly less explicit compared to Heavy Metal Lover). I Wanna Be With You might be a good later single, though. I like "Applause", but it's definitely the weakest link. All in all, I'm hella psyched for ARTPOP - can't stop listening to the title track.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Well, Todd in the Shadows released his review of 'Applause'. It's mostly good, but there is one huge mistake: he misinterprets 'Koons' as 'kunst' and then continues on that theme for some time afterwards. Research, Todd. It's what prevents you from embarrassing yourself.

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/applause-by-lady-gaga-a-pop-song-review-6645152

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I have no idea what 'Venus' sounds like, but I am so happy that 'Aura' isn't the second single. I like the song, but it would have flopped so hard. Crossing my fingers that 'Venus' is a good song.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Well, *that* was a whole lot better than Applause. :allears: Can't wait for ARTPOP.

VVV Haha, my thoughts exactly.

ZakAce fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 21, 2013

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Venus is definitely getting a video, though.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I've enjoyed every song since Applause. In fact, 'Applause' may be the weakest song from ARTPOP I've heard so far. (Similar situation with 'Born This Way'). Which isn't to say I dislike either of those songs, but if you compare 'Applause' to 'Venus'... I like the latter song so much more. I wonder how releasing 'Venus' as the first single would have gone?

Speaking of songs from ARTPOP, I heard 'Do What U Want' in a shop today. Let's hope it does well on the charts, because I really like it.

I've already pre-ordered ARTPOP. Do not let me down, Gaga.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Atma McCuddles posted:

Hahaha I wish, that would have made a crazy album! Naw I mean the dirty club owner biker dude she was dating while she wrote BTW. I think he was called Jean-Luc? Something weird like that. "You and I" is about him. They broke up around the start of the BTW tour.

LOVE the space goddess songs, meh about Fashion/Donatella.

It's Lüc Carl (yes, with the umlaut). They'd been on-off for a while.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

soapgish posted:

...Some of the lyrics on this album are absolutely inane (here's looking at you, "Fashion!").

To be fair, that song was co-written with Will.I.Am, who at this point seems to be the king of the inane lyric.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
In light of Terry Richardson directing the Lady Gaga documentary and the video for 'Do What U Want', I was wondering what you guys think of his continued association with LG? Because it is seriously damaging my enjoyment of her; I think he is a vile, disgusting excuse for a man and I feel that her friendship with him is damaging her brand. Seriously, though, this is really bothering me.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

somnambulist posted:

Pop music would be SO boring without Gaga so it surprises me to see how many people want her to fail. And not in an "eh, I just don't really care for her music" way. Like, SEETHING hate for her. I'm not exaggerating that a lot of people would literally rejoice if she died tomorrow. The Howard Stern interview that I posted talks about this in detail - how music became a competition and not art anymore.

It's not to say ARTPOP is an A+ album (though, I do have the opinion that I feel people are WAY too aggressive on reviewing her material) but I can't imagine the current state of pop without an artist like her. What else do we have? Miley? Katy? Nicki Minaj? Current Britney?...

Holy cow, I couldn't agree more. I'm wondering if at least some of the intense hatred towards Gaga is based in misogyny, in that she's a female pop singer who doesn't stay in a tiny cramped musical box but actually tries to push herself forward musically and put some measure of intellect into her image and music, and some people are apparently completely unequipped to deal with such a radical notion.

I road-tested the album today, and I really enjoy it. I do have a couple of nitpicks with it (such as the mandatory overly-loud mastering), but on the whole I like it more than Born This Way.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

illcendiary posted:

I enjoy her music (including the new album), but that doesn't mean I can't be annoyed at her consistent pretentiousness (which seems to have been dialed up lately) with some of the cross-medium stuff she does. And my annoyance doesn't preclude her from dabbling in those things, of course.

To be honest, I don't mind Gaga being pretentious as gently caress - in fact, I find it rather entertaining. She's done a lot of acting and musical theatre, which may at least partially explain the pretentiousness. If Gaga wants to be silly or pretentious, I say why the gently caress not? At least it's not boring.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Demonicpoodle posted:

This album is highly listenable for someone who likes to be kept on their toes when listening to music.

That's a good point. Unfortunately, it seems that too many American pop fans only want to listen to the musical equivalent of boring grey gruel, hence the continued popularity of Katy Perry (TBH, I have liked a couple of her songs, but holy crap is 'Roar' boring. May as well be titled 'Snore'). Personally, I would much rather listen to music that elicits a reaction rather than something that is boring: Lady Gaga might not always succeed at what she does in her music but at least she's trying. Katy Perry certainly isn't.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

TheJoker138 posted:

As far as I'm concerned this is now the real version of the song and the one with the child pisser doesn't exist.

Agreed. As soon as it comes out on iTunes where I live, R. Kelly can take a hike.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Re: "Swine". At first I was horrified and astounded, but after having some time to digest it (har har), I think it was amazing. It's certainly the most genuinely exciting thing she's done in a long time. I think Gaga's been feeling a bit frustrated lately.

Also: ARTPOP vol 2 and a new music video, apparently. We'll see what happens.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I'm irritated that she's going to Australia and not New Zealand. That's just insulting.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

TheJoker138 posted:

Donatella and Fashion! are both hot garbage.

IMO, Fashion! is surprisingly good for most of its length, and then at the end it all goes to poo poo when Will.i.am takes a dump on the French language. They had David Guetta (a.k.a an actual French person) involved in the creation of the song, why couldn't he have sang that bit? God drat, Will.i.am. You had a song that wasn't horrible for once and you had to ruin it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I am so happy that Gaga took this year off (essentially) to recuperate and build up her goodwill again. I bet her next album's going to be great, although ARTPOP had one of her best songs (Do What U Want) and wasn't that bad overall. Heck, even the less good songs had great moments (Aura's chorus, Donatella's pre-chorus). Fingers crossed.

• Locked thread