Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!

Gatts posted:

I might be a old bastard but telephone didn't quite hit my fancy.

Agreed. It's so... generic radio hip hop it kinda grates on me. I feel like GaGa is smarter than singing about boys and nightclubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
"Bad Romance" is a sinister, confident Poker Face. Love this track. 5/5

"Alejandro" has a good groove but is ultimately a little uninspiring. Not a bad track, though. 3/5

"Monster" is a pretty boring synthpop by numbers deal. Wasn't really struck by this one. 2/5

"Speechless" is a great, soulful 1975 Bowie number. The lyrics could've been better but the music is great. 3/5

"Dance in the Dark" is an amazing late 80s goth dance song. I really enjoy this one. Great the whole way through. 4/5

"Telephone" has great music and great hook but the lyrics are so bland and I hate Beyonce. Not bad, though. 3/5

"So Happy I Could Die" has a really different feel from the rest of the record, this kind of trancy hip hop deal. This song won't get the party started, but might help when it is winding down. 2/5

"Teeth" has a really good groove, very jumpy jaunty MIA meets Madonna circa "American Life." What starts as a cool intro never really picks up steam, which is a shame because it has such a dark circus feel. 2/5

Overall, 3/5. Bad Romance and Dance in the Dark steal the show, and the rest is decent filler. "Monster" and "Teeth" especially feel like filler. I think the Fame has singles but Monster is a more consistent effort.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
Upon further listening I've grown to like "Teeth" a lot more. All my other opinions stand the same.

I think I'd like to take a bite of Lady GaGa's "Bad Girl Meat."

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
The verse piano part to Captivated is exactly what she plays to Poker Face when she plays it acoustic.

Interesting.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

a milk crime posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSw386V5tmc
(Its an interview with vibe.com)

She's pretty much amazing. I really like her voice.

I wish haters could see that interview with an open mind.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
1. Dance In The Dark
2. Just Dance
3. Beautiful, Dirty, Rich
4. LoveGame
5. Boys, Boys, Boys
6. Alejandro
7. Monster
8. So Happy I Could Die
9. Teeth
10. Poker Face/Make Her Say
11. Speechless
12. Fashion
13. The Fame
14. UNIDENTIFIED NEW SONG
15. Money Honey
16. Paper Gangsta
17. Poker Face
18. Paparazzi
19. Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)
20. Bad Romance

A good line-up but I think it's kinda bloated for an artist who only has 1 LP and 1 EP. She could easily cut So Happy, Boys, Money Honey, and Paper Gangsta and no one would notice. WTF is I Like It Rough?

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

Shakespearean Beef posted:

I appreciate that nobody really listens to lyrics, but I have to think that it has some effect on people who listen to it ... and Lady GaGa's lyrical content is sickening. She basically advocates drinking until you have no idea what you're doing, treating your boyfriend (and all men) like poo poo, and behaving like an utter cock for your own selfish needs.

1) Just Dance is such a parody. She's said in interviews she thinks its just a really funny song. If you think those lyrics are supposed to be serious or encourage that type of behavior, you're missing the point. You've never been trashed and forgot what you were doing? She's taking the piss out of those type of situations.

2) I don't know specifically where you get the treating men like poo poo thing, but look at every female pop star. Its about power and ego. All commercial pop music is. Jay-Z rhymes about disrespctin' hos, GaGa croons about lying to dudes for sex, Britney says everyone wants to "if you seek amy." Its about that ego and swagger. I highly doubt Jay-Z fucks 1,000s of bitches daily or that Britney gets much more action than a college student.

3) Once again, don't see the selfish part of her lyrics, but it goes back to the power thing. Rappers talk about social status and bling, its the same thing. Its putting on that powerful, in charge face and taking control of those connotations. People want their popstars to be larger than life badasses. If they weren't, why would they be interesting?

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

I have heard really bad thongs about Live Nation

No, I hear Live Nation have pretty good thongs.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
Yeah, the Autotune is terrible. I wonder why it sounds like that? Surely that couldn't have been the final version.

I wonder if Britney kicks herself now that the song is a hit.

The GaGa version flows much better, too. The repetition of the "Kinda Busy" part kills the groove. The wurly synth in the post-chorus "Stop telephoning me" is really bad.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
Her voice definitely sounds more "Fame" era on these recordings.

Lady GaGa has officially WAY too many songs. Like... serious, there's probably 30 or so unreleased GaGa songs. And some are AMAZING.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

A Pale Horse posted:

The haircuts almost ruined the video for me. All I could think of was Simple Jack.

Oh my god. You just ruined this video for me! When I saw Tropic Thunder, me and my friends joked for ages about Simple Jack, and now it is all I can see when I watch Alejandro!

"You m-m-m-m-m-m-make me haaaapyyyy."

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
A friend saw her in Minneapolis tonight and said she played a new song that wasn't "You and I." Hope video surfaces soon!

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
Wow, you beat me to it! This is my friend's video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP-Kv9zzOZg

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

Kuroshi posted:

I was in Columbus this past weekend and saw an ad in a local paper for Lady Gaga's upcoming (March) concert there, and her opening act is... Scissor Sisters! :neckbeard: :gay: :swoon: I thought they weren't touring in America any more.

Everybody has a price...

I just wish they were bringing Casey Spooner with them.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
Not feeling it. Its a pretty generic feel good club thing. GaGa, to me, is best when she is dark and strange (see: Dance in the Dark, Bad Romance)

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I have friends on a myriad of labels, one of them being Warner Bros, and its REALLY commonplace for a label to released ONLY a censored CD because it saves them a ton of money:

A) they're only pressing one physical product (a censored CD)
B) all stores will carry it (Wal-Mart, Target, etc.)
C) they only have to stock and inventory one product

Its a really lovely practice but it happens to a lot of bands, especially one's the label is unsure of and are trying to play conservatively with.

In GaGa's case, though, it makes no sense because there are a good deal of rapper on Interscope, so you think they'd be used to doing a censored/uncensored version.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
Government Hooker/Judas back to back is an industrial dark synthpop explosion. Those two tracks are brilliant. Still listening to the rest... so far I'm not feeling Marry the Night, really. Its not offensive, just a little underwhelming.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

Agreed. My favorite song on the album by far.

I hate to quote it again, but yeah, Sheiße is like, my song of the year. So loving amazing. The chords in the chorus are just fantastic.

As far as the tour for this album, if she doesn't open with Government Hooker, she's crazy. I can totally see a pitch black stage, an arena full of people, and over the PA, "GaGaaaaa... GaaaAAAAAAgaaaaaa" and then that distorted intro starts as everyone takes the stage. Just seems so perfect.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

semicolonsrock posted:

She just moved to right near where I live -- mixed feelings. (actually I guess she's lived here for awhile)

Judas was good for the first 40 seconds, then I realized that was the whole song.

I'm not trying to be creepy, I just want a general idea - somewhere in New York or what? And how did you find out?

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Just got back from the Twin Cities show. Ended up spending almost $200 on merch. Got the leather jacket and the Highway Unicorn "Ride Ride Pony Ride Ride" shirt. Took a million pictures, might post some here later. Was loving awesome, want to go again when she announces the ARTPOP tour.

One of my best friends, and a Gaga Daily admin, was at the show and got to hang out with her for about an hour pre-show. There's a lot of poo poo that flies around about Gaga but everything my friend told me about their meeting was incredible and generous. Consider me impressed.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I was really excited about Bionic because Le Tigre, Nicki Minaj, Ladytron, Linda Perry, Sia, Switch, Santigold, and Peaches were all collaborators and that sounded amazing to me, but it was just really forgettable and uninspired sounding to me. It's a shame.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I love her behind an instrument/drum kit. She needs to do that more because she is definitely capable of it and it sets her apart from her peers. Unfortunately, she knows the singing/dancing thing is more... popular? for the level of stardom she wants and thus a better vehicle for her material re: getting recognition.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I was a really big fan Paparazzi through Born This Way, but this isn't doing much for me. I felt Born This Way had a lot of filler (though I love Scheisse, Government Hooker, Judas, and Bloody Mary,) but the only track I really find myself coming back to is Swine. This is for sure the best her voice has ever sounded on record for sure. I feel the production sounds almost dated, like none of these feel more advanced than Born This Way and that sort of super French House-y Calvin Harris chiptune thing is just played out for me. I will continue to support her and am excited to see what she does visually.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

It seems like this album fell off the face of the earth really quickly. Did it bomb that badly?

This seems rather damning (from Wikipedia): "The following week, the album dropped to number eight on the Billboard 200 with sales of under 46,000 copies for an 82% sales decrease, making Gaga the first artist to have two albums in the top five list of all-time biggest second-week percentage drops in the Nielsen SoundScan era."

So, of all records in the last 23-ish years, two of GaGa's are in the top 5 biggest sales drops between week one and week two. I don't think GaGa is actually a popular radio artist, making mad money like Katy Perry or whatever - I think GaGa just has a super dedicated cult of a few million fans, they buy the records and the tickets, and the general public sees her when she's on daytime TV or awards shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

redstormpopcorn posted:

If that raven-hat getup doesn't show up as a D3 Demon Hunter set eventually, Blizzard is missing out.

I'm glad to see someone shares my interests.

• Locked thread