Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

somnambulist posted:

So my friends friend made a video for Bloody Mary. It is AWESOME, I'm sure he's going to be getting a lot of attention, probably from Gaga herself soon.

http://youtu.be/63zSjR_nhNI

Amazing.

That reminds me a lot of mid 90s Marilyn Manson videos. Tourniquet, things like that. This is a very high compliment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
"Altering human experience with social media......blahblahblahblah..."

This text is really awesome to read in the Peanuts Teacher voice.

Uh but yeah I'm glad she's feeling better. She looked like half-dead hell before the tour was cancelled.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Lord Krangdar posted:

Wow. Is that an homage to a pre-existing artwork I'm not aware of, or original?

Looks like a John Wayne Gacy painting.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Because you can see through it. What ever happened to being yourself?

To be fair, she's a pop artist whose business is based upon staying interesting, relevant, and exciting enough to sell records. She keeps a lot more of her own personal views in her music than a lot of other artists in her genre, but you can't expect her not to do anything to keep business drummed up.

That said, I really hope she doesn't become another qabbalist/crystal/leylines sort of person. I don't really recall anything she's done up to now that sticks out as "mid-twenties self exploration" .

Man also she should be proud of that nose. One of the many things that made her interesting as an artist was that she didn't look like, you know, every other pop artist on the planet. But then again I guess it helps to remember she's a person in her twenties, and we've all done poo poo like this before.

edit: VVVV - good! I don't really keep up with her on twitter or anything of the like, so I was just going on what people were saying. I'm -really- glad she hasn't done anything surgery-wise, as sort of base and petty as that might sound.

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 9, 2013

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Speaking of people who calculate their lives based on how it may "shock" a mid-west homeschooler, she kinda looks like Marilyn Manson in that picture. I think she's playing up the angle to look like that. Could use a sandwich and some sunlight.

Or, in the case of Manson, fourteen gallons of absinthe and a Costco-sized bag of gummiworms.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Yeah that's because she's a massively famous pop star. In the late 90s when Britney Spears was at her best, the same thing happened. It basically has nothing at all to do with how Ms. Gaga actually looks.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

somnambulist posted:

I don't recall this ever happening but you may be right. :) I dont mean to go on and on about it, but no one I know in real life finds gaga to be very attractive. You know that game guys play where they ask "would you bang (x) celebrity?" When gaga gets mentioned its usually a collective "Uhh no". That never would have happened with Britney :-p She was a sex icon.

I can't really speak for the wide-sweep of society, but I specifically remember people in high school saying she looked like a pig because her nose had that slight up turn at the end.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

I was in high school during the height of Spears popularity as well and literally cannot recall anyone ever commenting on her looks in any negative way. Even people who hated her thought she was super hot.

You're right, I'm making it up and no one ever said anything negative about the way Britney Spears or Christina Aguillera or Madonna or anyone else during their most popular years just because people are negative about everyone.

You could add Angelina Jolie, and Julia Roberts too! No one ever said terrible things about them just to be a contrary rear end in a top hat. Oh wait, no, they did all the time.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

I really like Born This Way, but yeah I think there was a lot more fluff in it than on either of her other two albums. The SONG born this way isn't anywhere near my favorite, but how can you not love stuff like Hair and Edge of Glory? I mean, the latter sounds just loving ballsy enough to be the closing credits for a Karate Kid sequel (from the 80s , thank-you-very-much) that was never released.

Wait, did I just disempower myself?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

fuseshock posted:

I don't like it, then again I would've never watched a drag show without this and this is really just a bonus video. I guess she's just continuing the trend of being over-the-top weird and alienating a lot of her "mainstream" fans.

Perhaps the actual music video next week will be more interesting.

Edit: Should clarify that Lady Gaga probably doesn't care and doesn't want mainstream fans anyway.

You really shouldn't read that from what she does. She absolutely cares about mainstream fans and success. She's a very, very, very wealthy person from what she does, and also astute in business. She knows that shock, whatever it is, sells. Even when people complain loudly about something on the internet, they're still buying because they're fascinated.

She might have "weird" videos, but that's a big part of why she's so successful. Remember how many people went on and on about how bizarre Bad Romance was when her head was on fire or whatever? Some pop stars use glitz and glamor, some use whatever else. She just happens to use "being weird" as her schtick.

That said, it is kind of bullshit if she's going to profit (a LOT) off those drag performers and really didn't get any releases from them for using them on the video.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Hehe she's got sausage fingers just like me!

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

The problem with the stunts like the giant hair and the seashell bra and whatever is that at some point, gimmicks stop working.

Remember when the general public figured out that Marilyn Manson was actually just trying REALLY hard to be shocking? Remember how that ended?

Gaga's biggest asset is that she's actually good at writing music and has a good voice and solid piano skills. Those are things that outlast gimmicks and attention-getting stunts. Forty years from now, no one is going to say "hey, remember that meat dress?" but if she puts out a string of good albums and keeps herself musically relevant instead of relying on constantly increasing production values, she could still be awesome when we're all old as poo poo.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

I'm even more convinced after listening to this a few times through that Gaga's next step is to drop the Gaga business and go back to being a talented singer/songwriter. Her shock and satire thing is over as far as being interesting or challenging goes.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

Because being yet another girl with a piano is somehow interesting or challenging?

Nothing about crazy hair and wild dresses is interesting or challenging.

edit: ^^ - yeah the Tony Bennett duet is something I'm really looking forward to. You can be "interesting and challenging" by reimagining musical styles and challenging listener conceptions and ideas without being as wild and crazy as humanly possible.

We know she can be out there and eccentric, so why not just let the performance and the music speak for itself instead of requiring increasingly bizarre antics to go along with it?

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 7, 2013

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

DominoDancing posted:

Why can't I have both? I'm quite happy with Artpop. I don't get this whole "let's turn her into dreary singer/songwriter #742" idea at all.

I'm just stating my opinion, but her eccentricity is starting to feel more like she's doing it because that's what her market expects rather than because she really feels it. I could absolutely be wrong, but it is starting to feel like something she's forced into. Again, just offering my opinion, not trying to state a fact because, you know, I don't know her.

Also, I don't really understand why singer/songwriters have to be dreary? Or why it necessitates her only using a piano?

edit: Yeah Dreamlogic's opinion is pretty much the one I have. I was talking to a friend about it today, and neither of us think it's a BAD album, it's just not really fresh and interesting enough to be the result of... what? Two or three years of work and a nearly constant hype stream starting in July, that's all.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Taliaquin posted:

It just hasn't grabbed me yet. I'm actually listening to it right this moment. I think it will just take a while to grow on me.

To add to this, I think it should also be remembered that she has a background in performance art. Hard to believe considering her initial pop image in The Fame, but that's where she's coming from aesthetically.

I'm one of those people who sees fashion as having the potential to be an artistic medium, not just clothing. She was McQueen's muse for a reason, and his fashion was very much about art. I love Gaga's style. Hell, I'd probably dress like that if I had that much money Since I don't, I'll have to continue looking like the broke-rear end version of Helena Bonham Carter, please adopt me, Vivienne Westwood.

That's fair enough.

To be specific - I might be old and boring, but when I see someone with a four foot tall wig dressed up like Venus De Milo, my first though is "trying too hard to be weird." I'm NOT talking about the stage shows. Of course you get theatrical and out there and wild and crazy on stage because, you know, that's the point. But it makes very little sense in what are supposed to be intimate things, interviews and so on, to usually appear in some kind of wild costume.

I'm really not trying to be down on her, because to be totally honest I doubt many 27 year olds would act much differently if given carte blanche to do whatever they wanted. poo poo, I probably would have done the same thing. And again, it's not because I don't see the artistic value in fashion or anything like that. I'm thinking "at what point do you have to take a step back?" You know? Like, at what point is there essentially no turning back to something that's sustainable into her 40s, 50s, 80s?

But yeah, sorry, my past points were certainly too vague. I don't mean she's like obnoxious or grating or whatever RIGHT NOW, I'm badly phrasing thoughts about the future.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

I'd say anyone selling a million copies of a full album is doing pretty loving well these days. What they should be doing to calculate album sales is also counting enough buys of single tracks to make up the purchase price of the whole disc. I'm guessing you'd see much different numbers that way.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Skilleddk posted:

Do what you want is so good I'm gonna scream my lungs out when I see it live. Just like all the other songs :v:

I'm just really glad that an actually good song gets to be the single. Born This Way and Fame Monster are great albums but they picked the worst loving possible singles. Except The edge of glory, but it came so late :ohdear:

Wait are you seriously saying that Bad Romance was the worst song on Fame Monster?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Bina posted:

Gaga is either getting tired of people trying to mold her, or not putting up with people trying to sell her out. As far as recent things go, I really hope news of the people she works with is under investigation. (The DWUW video hasn't been released...)

Remember the quote during the old lady scene in SNL? "I should fire my manager" because of a singing toilet? Remember those toothbrushes that were sold playing Born This Way?

I have my own personal feelings on the matter, one of which is that when she mentions 'betrayal' that in reality, her manager was taking her career to the bank with stupid ideas that have nothing to do with how she genuinely feels about her music/fans.

I also remember her leaving the VMAs because One Direction was being booed. I bet you Troy and her clashed horns, because he wanted her to stay.

While it might be true, it's also true that pretty much every artist in any medium creates tighter, cooler, more interesting stuff when they have editors that tell them when something is a bad idea, or when to go in a different direction. Having one person in charge of an entire idea from planning to fruition usually ends up, well, like ARTPOP ended up.

There's some really cool parts, but it could have been tuned and shaped better, which would have made it a stronger album. Born This Way is exactly the same - some good stuff, lots of less great stuff. Fame and Fame Monster were awesome because they were edited.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Wandle Cax posted:

Which is pretty good for the most part. There's only 1 or 2 tracks that are superfluous in my opinion.

Yes, but that doesn't really seem to be the popular opinion, which is that a lot of it is pretty superfluous. Of course big fans of her are going to think otherwise, so it becomes a question of who it is you care to please, I guess.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Like half of born this way is pretty good and like half of artpop is okay, and the other half on both albums is totally forgettable for me.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

I think "She will surprise people by the quality of her voice when making quality songs." is a pretty clear backhanded compliment.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

I think it's a really cool throwback to the days when frank sinatra or whoever would do big duet albums ad infinitum.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

somnambulist posted:

Promo for the US Open, pretty cool

https://vimeo.com/105310827

Same song (dont mean a thing) but extended, with some great shots of the athletes.

Her label is letting her do a lot of promo for this album, lets see how the general public will react. Will be interesting.

Honestly? I doubt it's going to make any waves on top 40, I'm sure it'll sell okay-ish and if they do any kind of touring it'll sell out small venues, maybe medium. I doubt Tony Bennett is in any kind of place in his life for extensive touring, though, so maybe just a residency in one or two places?

After all, it's a jazz duet record in an era where basically no one gives a poo poo about jazz standards. I'd love to be completely wrong, but that's my guess.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

I'm kinda... I dunno, not really impressed at all with this. As was said before, Tony holds it back I think, but Gaga isn't belting out any home runs either.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Very obviously it should be a medly of I'm Afraid of Americans and Paparazzi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

The part where he was eating the meat dress made me laugh really really hard.

• Locked thread