Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TC_ posted:

Because of Lady Gaga, I now mentally translate anyone saying, "I like [musician] ironically" into, "I like [musician] but I'm too embarrassed to admit that to anyone, possibly including myself."

That said, I love this woman. :swoon:

You probably should have been doing that before Gaga broke through your mind and left behind nothing but a pair of panties and a print of Masculin Feminin.

But welcome to the club anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jesus gently caress the jump between style between "Monster" and "Speechless" is ridiculous. It goes from "80s pop in a blender" into something that you could imagine Elton John writing during his "three albums a year" era. And both are brilliantly catchy.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Also consider that when the Russian is finally faced with his night with Gaga, the moment she disrobes (and gives him body language that not only stresses her womanhood - the posture exemplifies her hips - she also expresses her power over him by raising her arms as to say "you want it? Here it is"), his bed bursts into flames. Despite being flaunted about for her sexuality by a patriarchal society, her sexuality is what frees her from those same bonds. And yeah, she goes to bed wearing white, and finishes with a cigarette, sparkling black bra, and black panties, going from the virginal "bride" to a "groom", switching the traditional societal idea of power.

Now, what of her choice of hairstyle for the last part of the video? She's clearly referencing Marilyn Monroe with that look (at least when she's in red, particularly with the eye shadow). Of course, referencing Monroe extends to referencing Madonna (who made massive leaps and bounds in popularity by grabbing that persona and twisting it to her own ends), so she could be trying to place herself along those sexual icons through association. She could be suggesting that by grabbing their own sexuality, any woman can be free (like Madonna), or they can only be used for their sexuality and be left to waste in the bonds of a society controlled by men (like Monroe).

And red is not only associated with fire - it's also associated with blood. If this particular choice in color in the video is meant to call back to her VMA outfit (which, holy poo poo, it most certainly does) -

- then it is also referencing, perhaps, the menstrual cycle?

Great, this music video just turned into my favorite visual-related thing all year.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

There's a lot of references to horror and thriller pictures throughout The Fame Monster - from the line "I want your psycho, your vertigo step" in "Bad Romance" to pretty much the entirety of "Monster" to "run run her kiss is a vampire grin/the moon lights away while she's howling at him" and I believe also throws in "she's a tramp, she's a vamp, but she still does her dance" in "Dance In The Dark", and slips in "I got my vamp" in "Teeth". So her visually referencing Dracula and vampire and horror/thriller films in general isn't without precedent now if she's referencing it in the music, and it's kind of obvious what mood she was in/what she was watching when she wrote what ended up becoming the album.

It's also made it blatantly obvious she's a horror fan, and that makes me all :3:

I'd actually love to see her just do a straight up horror-themed video for "Monster". Can't imagine who she'd grab to work with for that, though.

What's most interesting about that opening for "Bad Romance" is that she comes out of the coffin labeled "Monster".

(Also, as an overall point, going back to the whole sign of the cross thing, don't forget it does form the T in "Monster" on the album cover, and she also tells the girl in "Dance In The Dark" to "find her Jesus" on the dancefloor. I'm sure there's other references littered throughout the songs and in future videos that may be picked up.)

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Triple Tech posted:

Alejandro is so flat... Maybe I'm not being sympathetic enough? Like not every track can be a hit? Compare to the albums of NSYNC or Justin Timberlake. (you wanna fight about it?) Nearly every song sticks out and is great. Except for the non-single ballads.

I dunno, Futuresex/Lovesounds feels like 60% filler to me. I can legitimately skip over so much of that album it's kind of ridiculous. From "My Love" up until "What Goes Around... Comes Around" and then immediately after that to "(Another Song) All Over Again" is stuff I honestly cannot get into.

The comparison point should still be Thriller when it comes to pop music. Still probably the best pop album ever written, and how many albums can have both Paul McCartney and Eddie Van Halen as featured artists on it?

If we're going to cut it down to just female pop artists and their albums, I think the comparison point would end up being Ray of Light or The Velvet Rope, which I think are two of the finer pop albums to come out in the last fifteen years.

On Madonna and where she stands in the landscape of pop music: I imagine Gaga would tell you before anyone else it's because of Madonna pushing envelopes with how a pop star can act and the musical frontiers they can explore and how they can present themselves and transform their looks and styles and messages that her entire career can exist. I mean, yes, Gaga's immediate influences are Queen and club/house music, but being able to create a persona and adapt it and change it to what she wants to say at that moment? That's 100% Madonna.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Count Choculitis posted:

Doesn't she swear in Speechless as well? Or did she only do it for the live version I saw? She said "all my hosed up friends" rather than "all my wrecked up friends."

She's changed the lyrics a bit for the live versions of Speechless. Instead of "is your punchline just a joke", she's changed it to "is your drunk line just a joke". She probably also decided that "hosed up friends" sounded better than "wrecked up friends".

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I'm pretty sure "Teeth" is about cunnilingus and/or rough sex in general. "Bad girl meat" = vag. There's an inversion of the whole sub/dom thing going on in the song - she's tied to the bed, saying she's got no salvation or religion, but that you can be it - but she's still ordering you to get rougher ("take a bite of my bad girl meat" seems like an obvious euphemism to "nibble on my clit, bitch" or even just "gently caress me harder").

I mean, yeah, "it's not how big, it's how mean" is a reference to dick, but the rest of the song is much more about everything else in the equation.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Porcupine Hunted posted:

Yea, I kinda meant to say that in a "Like a Virgin" Tarantino-interpretation sort of way. I.e. It's about a woman who wants to get laid.

Oh man, I just realized we might very well be hearing some pop culture influenced dialogue in a movie a decade from now talking specifically about Lady Gaga.

:psyduck:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jarl posted:

It was comical, but I doubt she takes BAGS of drugs on a daily basis. She is way too productive for that.

Anybody who knows what the requirements for the making of a music video to be considered? Specifically I miss one accompanying Telephone.

The requirements is that the artist and label wants to make one. That's about it. Plus an agreement on budget.

I imagine UMG can see how ridiculous sales of a Lady Gaga Video Collection DVD in the future could be, so budget probably is less of a problem for her than for an artist who doesn't have a large chunk of appeal coming from their visual sense.

But she's still technically riding on the wave of "Bad Romance" as a single. "Telephone" is just getting a push to radio now, and apparently she and Beyonce have slotted a couple days at the end of the month to shoot the video for it. We could possibly see one by Valentine's Day.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Also, pre-order stuff like that is 100% a label decision, never the artist. And the way it usually goes is "we'll give you money/advertising out the wazoo if we get preferential treatment with this".

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

HookShot posted:

^^ I doubt it, since Gaga has already said it's her as Mary Magdalene and Norman Reedus as Judas... not the sort of story that lends itself to a continuation of Paparazzi/Telephone

And she keeps on referencing Fellini. So I'm expecting some neorealist subject matter (Jesus and the Apostles as a biker gang? That would fit) interspersed with baroque imagery.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Pretty sure RedOne was doing things here and there on this album when he wasn't busy producing the next U2 album.

Which is loving weird to think about.

I'm digging "Edge of Glory". It sounds like Gaga trying on Springsteen for a moment (although that might just be the sax talking). I get the feeling that there's going to be a lot of "this sounds like ______" on this album, where she basically lays bare her influences - from Elton to Bowie to Springsteen to Madonna to god knows who else. Which kind of fits with an album called Born This Way.

And I would not be surprised for a loving second if this was a song she initially wrote for Kelly Clarkson, the way "Telephone" was written for Britney Spears.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Well, that just makes me like the song even more. Because Clarence Clemons is goddamn motherfucking awesome, and that makes me definitely view the song as the sort of big, cheesy "Dancing In The Dark" anthem it is striving to be. It's a fist pumper.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

The cover is a pretty obvious throwback to 80's metal covers, right down to the font. There's a reason the name of this thread is a Judas Priest song title right now.

Which is fitting, since she's said that the album is a smashing together of her sound with big stadium rock/metal/pop hooks.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Bewildrbeast posted:

As for TFM being released censored, there are a variety of reasons for it. A lot of places don't have record stores and the only place to get CDs are Wal*Marts, and they don't carry anything with a parental advisory sticker. Also, a lot of her fans are teenagers or preteens who have parents that won't buy them cds with PA stickers.

I too am scratching my head over the Farmville thing. There's just no excuse for that.

You are aware your answer for the parental advisory thing would be the same answer for the Farmville thing, right? It's where her primary audience is.

And this is not a woman who turns down product placement or endorsement or tie-ins anyway. Mostly because it lets her make her music videos and her concert interstitials with zero label interference (in other words: the promotional stuff she does pretty much keeps Haus of Gaga alive). Zynga probably gave her a poo poo ton of money, which she'll use to do something crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Kids barely aware of 80s videos angry at video that very much is an 80s video for a song that is so 80s, it has a Laffer Curve. News at 11.

• Locked thread