Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Does it have playlist folders? If it had playlist folders I'd cancel my MOG subscription and switch back to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
they say it's coming, it's not yet available in this version. Neither is last.fm scrobbling.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 4, 2012

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is it possible to have the start page anything other than What's New? I hate that huge Featured Spotify Apps recommendation and some of the album covers for Recommended Albums are half naked girls, which is no problem for me but it's not entirely 100% SFW.

Is there a way to integrate the current song playing into my title bar in OS X?

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it possible to have the start page anything other than What's New? I hate that huge Featured Spotify Apps recommendation and some of the album covers for Recommended Albums are half naked girls, which is no problem for me but it's not entirely 100% SFW.

I second this question. Asked it before to no avail, though.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Obviously nobody here knows and the answer is "probably not", since it's sort of in their interest to drive people to trending stuff or new features even if some people don't want that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Well no it's not really obvious that nobody knows. Thanks though.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
how do I use Spotify to listen to albums that aren't available in Australia? Specifically Titus Andronicus' The Monitor?

I guess I could just bring it to work and rip it to my computer, but it should be on the service.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

So many things should be on the service, but quite a few artists/labels are not convinced about the profitability of the service (and others like it).

edit: other services do have some "upload your own songs" feature: deezer, icloud and google music come to mind.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

in the category mislabeled albums:
http://open.spotify.com/album/2R013nvVq26eI3nUS6ooXl

they switched the discs on this one, this was a fun one to discover. :)

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Is the Android beta version really missing the option to play your own mp3 files? :psyduck:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Charlie Mopps posted:

Is the Android beta version really missing the option to play your own mp3 files? :psyduck:

The non-beta version wouldn't read anything that was on my external SD card (you know, where I keep all my media so as to not run out of space for apps), so I wouldn't be surprised.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

the new android app is now live:
http://www.spotify.com/uk/blog/archives/2012/06/12/slicker-faster-better-the-new-android-app-is-here/

edit:
gently caress YES, PLAYLIST FOLDERS!

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

But still no support for local files it seems? Even the Symbian version supported local mp3 files.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Charlie Mopps posted:

But still no support for local files it seems? Even the Symbian version supported local mp3 files.

I think the idea is to manage them with spotify, but you can't set where to put these files.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I've been debating wether to buy Spotify for ages cause I'm cheap but the thing that puts me off most is that I'll mostly use it on my Galaxy Nexus and I haven't heard many great things about the app for it to be worth £10 a month. I just use Google Music at the moment and whilst the app isn't amazing or anything it does what I need for free. It's just now and again I'm walking to work or whatever and I feel like listening to a song I don't have in my library, I think Spotify would come in handy. But not £10 a month worth of handy. Hmm.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

€10 is what i pay for 4 beers in the pub, so its not like its that expensive.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
It's not that it's expensive, it's whether I'll make enough use out of it for it to be worth the money. I guess I could just give it a try for a month.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Can anyone explain why the MOG desktop app can use Airplay yet the Spotify one doesn't have the option?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

tomm posted:

I think Spotify would come in handy. But not £10 a month worth of handy. Hmm.

That's like the price of cheap bottle of red wine...

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Good news for Germany: Spotify allows German users to sign up without Facebook.

I'm hoping this increases sign-up rates so much they'll do that elsewhere as well. When I look at the German sign-up page, it only gives me a Facebook option so a German proxy is required.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
If I add my local files to spotify on my PC is there any way I can get spotify to upload them and allow me to play them on my other computer/phone/whatever?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Quandary posted:

If I add my local files to spotify on my PC is there any way I can get spotify to upload them and allow me to play them on my other computer/phone/whatever?
No.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Quandary posted:

Sorry no, but deezer does have this option.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 13, 2012

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Wait that is possible? I create playlists out of local files on my PC's Spotify account, then sync those playlists with my phone while they're on the same wireless network, and that works just fine. This only works if you can get both devices on the same network.

Or am I misunderstanding the question?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

sweek0 posted:

Or am I misunderstanding the question?

yes you are, he want's to upload them to a central server so he can play his files to all devices he has spotify installed on.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Worked with my iPod, I just make a playlist and sync it to play offline. I use this to listen to music in my car while I drive around. I'll try doing the same with my laptop and report the results. And yes I mean local MP3s that aren't available on Spotify.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 13, 2012

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust
Using search in the latest Android version, I get 5 artist results, 5 album results, and then a seemingly complete list of track results. Even if I specify, say, ”album:fire” it will only give 5 results. Pretty sure in the old version I was able to click on Album and then see a complete list. Am I missing something?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Quandary posted:

So the answer is "sorta".

You can take local non-spotified mp3's, make a new playlist and then sync the playlist to your phone provided that you're on the same network as the laptop/dekstop and the device. wi-fi, LAN, whatever. Gotta be on the same poo poo.

Then Spotify will in fact download the tracks to your phone and you can play them on your phone wherever you are as long as you have the playlists set to be Offline Playlists and you've sync'ed them.

You can't take the tracks off the phone, you're stuck with them on the phone. But, that's what thumbdrives are for. The other computer idea is not going to work, I'd suggest getting a Google Drive account or something instead. Totally works great for PC -> Phone though.

Jordanthehutt
Jun 21, 2011
So, I updated my android spotify and it seems they forgot a button to quit out of the app? Or maybe I just can't find it. Basically the only thing I can do is pause the song I'm on and have my battery modestly drained while it sits idle in the background. Anyone else have this problem, or am I just a big dumb?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Jordanthehutt posted:

So, I updated my android spotify and it seems they forgot a button to quit out of the app? Or maybe I just can't find it. Basically the only thing I can do is pause the song I'm on and have my battery modestly drained while it sits idle in the background. Anyone else have this problem, or am I just a big dumb?

Why would it be draining your battery? You don't need an exit button.

Serious Sam
Feb 15, 2008

Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!
Wow, just realized 320 kbit/s streaming and syncing. :3:

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

New update. It looks like you can make radio stations based on playlists although its timing out currently.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Recently, thanks to Spotify, I found out that Will Smith only has 3 good songs.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Recently, thanks to Spotify, I found out that Will Smith only has 3 good songs.

Men In Black, Wild Wild West, and...Miami?

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

Summertime

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

TheJoker138 posted:

Boom! Shake the Room obviously!

Well, here I go, here I go, here I, here I go
Yo!!!

Starbux
Jul 25, 2009

The Three Smugmigos
:smug::hf::mmmsmug::hf::smug:
Sup dudes. I love Spotify.

Has anyone in the thread made a soundrop room for goons? If not, we should. I'd love to know what you guys listen to.

Also we should make some collaboration playlists. Anyone?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Is anyone else annoyed by how much louder the music from the Spotify app is compared to your own music (on iPhone, can't speak for the Android app)? Each time I have to remember to turn down the volume when I switch to Spotify if I don't want my eardrums to get blasted.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008
At first I wasn't really that into Spotify.

Then I found out about all of the user playlists and now it is AWESOME. Rolling Stones Top 500 Songs and an electronic one that is updated on a daily basis has made spotify a program that I will definitely keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

DanManIt posted:

At first I wasn't really that into Spotify.

Then I found out about all of the user playlists and now it is AWESOME. Rolling Stones Top 500 Songs and an electronic one that is updated on a daily basis has made spotify a program that I will definitely keep.

yeah, spotify really starts to shine if you plug into the large amount of user playlists that are around. I've got one that has 800 subscribers now, it's crazy.

• Locked thread