Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Spotify stops playing whenever I launch TF2. I have no clue why.

Go check your communication options in windows (control panel -> Sound -> Communications tab). There are some options to dim all sounds except the program you use for voice communication; as TF2 uses voice chat by default windows sees it as something like Skype or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there something about making stuff like Spotify and Facebook that makes you completely goddamn idiotic as to what's a change worth making?

Yes when these kinds of companies get to be a certain size the decisions are increasingly the result of various internal intrigues and skirmishes between competing factions and sometimes deals with outside parties moreso than anything to do with what is useful to customers.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Amazon launched their streaming music service today, available for Prime subscribers

They've got a one million song catalog, which is puny compared to Spotify. Their stance is that a majority of stuff in the competitor's massive catalog is essentially junk that nobody will listen to. I've suspected for a while that streaming services bulk up their catalog with stuff like sound effect records and inexpensive novelties so sheer numbers don't hold a ton of weight for me. But I do like that I can pull obscure things out of Spotify's catalog. I haven't had a chance to test the Amazon catalog so it remains to be seen how it compares for me. I'm a Prime subscriber though so I'll be checking it out soon.

Edit: gave it a quick search, not impressed. I think it'll be great for the casual music listener who is happy with popular music.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 12, 2014

K G
Nov 7, 2012

it is hard to read this lol

me your dad posted:

Amazon launched their streaming music service today, available for Prime subscribers

They've got a one million song catalog, which is puny compared to Spotify. Their stance is that a majority of stuff in the competitor's massive catalog is essentially junk that nobody will listen to. I've suspected for a while that streaming services bulk up their catalog with stuff like sound effect records and inexpensive novelties so sheer numbers don't hold a ton of weight for me. But I do like that I can pull obscure things out of Spotify's catalog. I haven't had a chance to test the Amazon catalog so it remains to be seen how it compares for me. I'm a Prime subscriber though so I'll be checking it out soon.

Edit: gave it a quick search, not impressed. I think it'll be great for the casual music listener who is happy with popular music.

If they manage to get the rights to stream music made by The Beatles, I'm in.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

Junk that no one listens to? That's me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Samopsa posted:

Go check your communication options in windows (control panel -> Sound -> Communications tab). There are some options to dim all sounds except the program you use for voice communication; as TF2 uses voice chat by default windows sees it as something like Skype or something.

I have voice chat turned off and Skype/mumble have never interfered with it. It only started recently. Kinda weird but not a huge deal I guess.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Junk that no one listens to? That's me.

I'm the same. I like having access to a bunch of stuff I've never even heard of before. Obviously that would still happen in Amazon's service, but it wouldn't be as frequent. The discover feature is kinda garbage sometimes but I still like having it for when it actually does send cool stuff your way.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm the same. I like having access to a bunch of stuff I've never even heard of before. Obviously that would still happen in Amazon's service, but it wouldn't be as frequent. The discover feature is kinda garbage sometimes but I still like having it for when it actually does send cool stuff your way.

Hook up last.fm.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I use that and Pandora as well sometimes.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Whoa whoa, don't want to overdo it.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Hook up last.fm.

The discover feature is pretty bad so yeah, do that. The last.fm app is pretty great. It constantly recommends me a lot of albums that are unavailable though.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I finally got my band Dead Silent Film Stars on Spotify it's so drat easy to promote and share music this way it's a great service.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Disco De Soto posted:

I finally got my band Dead Silent Film Stars on Spotify it's so drat easy to promote and share music this way it's a great service.

I've had my music on Spotify for years but I can't agree that it's a great service for musicians. They pay way too little, they don't really offer any kind of promotional tools that the user can control (like sending a notification out to followers/fans when you have a new album out), I've never been able to get access to stats in spite of requesting that a long time ago, and listeners are much less likely to go on to buy material compared to say Soundcloud or Bandcamp. The only real advantage is the size of their audience.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Earwicker posted:

I've had my music on Spotify for years but I can't agree that it's a great service for musicians. They pay way too little, they don't really offer any kind of promotional tools that the user can control (like sending a notification out to followers/fans when you have a new album out), I've never been able to get access to stats in spite of requesting that a long time ago, and listeners are much less likely to go on to buy material compared to say Soundcloud or Bandcamp. The only real advantage is the size of their audience.

Spotify has this thing that from what I understand allows artists to see their stats and revenue: https://www.spotifyartists.com/

Also, Spotify pays revenues to right holders, not the artists themselves. If you have a bad streaming deal with the record label, then there is nothing Spotify can do for you.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rexides posted:

Spotify has this thing that from what I understand allows artists to see their stats and revenue: https://www.spotifyartists.com/

Yes, I've seen this and I put in a request for access to my stats quite some time ago but you have to do it through NextBigSound (which also tries to get you to sign up for prettier versions of Facebook insights and some basic Twitter stats) and it's been quite a while now.

quote:

Also, Spotify pays revenues to right holders, not the artists themselves. If you have a bad streaming deal with the record label, then there is nothing Spotify can do for you.

Many artists are rights holders, and many artists are independent. But independent artists, as far as I'm aware, don't really have a way of negotiating with Spotify directly, we have to go through services such as CDBaby and Distrokid.

It's not the worst thing ever, it's decent for exposure, I just think there is a lot they could do better. Obviously it's a different model from Bandcamp or Soundcloud or iTunes or Amazon but out of all those I feel like it's one of the least helpful as a musician.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Earwicker posted:

...they don't really offer any kind of promotional tools that the user can control (like sending a notification out to followers/fans when you have a new album out)...

I thought it does this automatically? Or do you mean there's no way to customize that notification?

I agree the money is pathetic but I long gave up trying to make a lot of money from music.

Spotify is great for promotion in Sweden because every single person in the whole country has it.

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 13, 2014

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Spotify released a new version of their API

quote:

Developers, start your engines. We’ve launched a new version of the Spotify Web API that lets you put everything from album art to music previews into third-party web apps, with a brand new ability to create real Spotify playlists for your users.

Developers, marketers, ad agencies, music hacking gurus, product managers, design firms, and anyone else who wants to build a Spotify web app to further their goals now have a great new tool at their disposal, with more multimedia and baked-in smarts than ever before.

The new web API gives you the power to create powerful music apps on top of Spotify, except instead of founding the company and growing it for eight years, you get to jump right in and start building stuff on day one using our music and metadata, now with the ability to create playlists.

You also get the deep musical intelligence of The Echo Nest. We’ve been hard at work integrating the two APIs so that you can make awesome stuff like this. Your apps can build real Spotify playlists for your users, leveraging all of that Echo Nest data, and all without leaving the experience you’ve designed.

New features include:

Rich Metadata. The new web API lets you retrieve extensive track, album and artist details from the Spotify catalog, including cover art and 30 second track previews.
User Profiles & Playlists. With a user’s permission, developers can now access user profile information including playlists, display name, image, country, email, external URL, and subscriber status. Web apps powered by this new API can also build new playlists for users to enjoy later, in their Spotify apps.
The Echo Nest: Integrated. We’ve been hard at work with new family members, The Echo Nest, to bring the two APIs together. The result: You can build your projects atop the world’s best music service and the world’s best discovery data.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Disco De Soto posted:

I thought it does this automatically?

That's what I had thought but now I don't know how it works.

The first four albums that I put on Spotify I did through CDBaby, and since of course I "follow" my own band on Spotify I got notifications that those albums were now on available, noth in the desktop app and on my phone. However with my new album, I went through Distrokid. I never received any notice that the album was up, either from Distrokid or from Spotify, and no Spotify notifications have gone out. However I did receive them for a couple of other bands I followed. I asked Distrokid about this and they say it's all on Spotify's side, I asked Spotify about this but they simply don't respond.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Apparently there is a limit of 10.000 songs for a single playlist and there's no error message whatsoever that you've reached it. You just have to think "wow, exactly ten thousand songs, what are the odds" and then notice that it's not been adding more songs. I had to create a "Album Dump 2016" playlist (named such because it'll take until then for me to actually start listening to it... perhaps)

I guess that also explains the limit for Your Music.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

me your dad posted:

They've got a one million song catalog, which is puny compared to Spotify. Their stance is that a majority of stuff in the competitor's massive catalog is essentially junk that nobody will listen to.

That is the stupidest goddamn thing I have ever heard. I love Spotify precisely because I can go "oh hey, I feel like listening to that Pell Mell album from like 20 goddamn years ago- oh, it's on Spotify!"

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Mierenneuker posted:

Apparently there is a limit of 10.000 songs for a single playlist and there's no error message whatsoever that you've reached it. You just have to think "wow, exactly ten thousand songs, what are the odds" and then notice that it's not been adding more songs. I had to create a "Album Dump 2016" playlist (named such because it'll take until then for me to actually start listening to it... perhaps)

I guess that also explains the limit for Your Music.

It used to also crash the old desktop app when you clicked on a playlist with 10000 songs in it :v:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Anyone else having trouble loading playlists? I usually download playlists from a friend who I follow, but lately trying to load all of his Public Playlists fails. I can't view them on my phone, or on the computer. All I can see are the four first playlists he made, not the other 10 or so, which should be viewable after clicking "See All" I tried this with my phone, laptop and desktop.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

I loving hate having to tick every track I have so that they will show up under "albums" and "artists." Why does it not add albums to the album section by default?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

krampster2 posted:

I loving hate having to tick every track I have so that they will show up under "albums" and "artists." Why does it not add albums to the album section by default?

Just use the starred list. It actually makes sense if you listen to a lot of full albums.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I never bothered with spotify since it doesn't have half the songs I want to listen to while burning bandwitdh. The "Other alternatives" to free music still seems more appealing when I can just throw the albums on to the phone and listen to them as I please.

So yesterday a coworker started waving his cellphone with spotify open. Asking me for a music recommendation.

I picked it up and did a search for "My Time is Gonna Come" by "Roger Daltrey"

Three covers but no original. Business as usual it seems.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Zephyrine posted:

I never bothered with spotify since it doesn't have half the songs I want to listen to while burning bandwitdh. The "Other alternatives" to free music still seems more appealing when I can just throw the albums on to the phone and listen to them as I please.

So yesterday a coworker started waving his cellphone with spotify open. Asking me for a music recommendation.

Cool thanks for letting us know that your favorite hit by "Roger Daltrey" is not available on Spotify.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

If you have the album just add it local files. Boom it's on your phone. Best of both worlds.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah Spotify has surprisingly few gaps but for what they don't have, the local file integration is nice and seamless.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Does anyone else running Spotify on a Roku have problems with playback stopping suddenly and not resuming until you exit the channel and go back in?

I primarily play off my big main playlist and I figured maybe it just had to do with the amount of songs. But I was playing a playlist this morning with 52 tracks and it happened again.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Why discover is so hard to use? Why I can't start a discover radio or queue/shuffle the songs? Nowdays it's an useless list which requires constant babysitting if you want to listen to stuff from there. Also queuing the suggested songs/albums is a chore.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 11, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's also annoying when Spotify fills it with artists you already have in your library.

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009
So I just updated today on my PC and now I cannot view any albums. My playlists are all fine, but clicking on an album simply brings up a "not found" message. Android app seems fine. Any else experiencing issues?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Yup, there's already a five page thread in the Spotify support forum of me-toos. Something important must've gotten screwed up in the most recent update.

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Yup, there's already a five page thread in the Spotify support forum of me-toos. Something important must've gotten screwed up in the most recent update.

Huh. I suppose I should have checked there first. Thank you!

Edit: appears to be fixed as of 11:24 PM CST

Sunshine Mix fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 26, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is there a good alternative to Spotify outside of the US?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Is there a good alternative to Spotify outside of the US?

Didn't Spotify start outside of the US and then move over here in like 2011? So Spotify.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Didn't Spotify start outside of the US and then move over here in like 2011? So Spotify.

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but last time I checked I thought it wasn't available in Canada.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but last time I checked I thought it wasn't available in Canada.

Oh drat. My bad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Spotify is a Swedish company. It isn't available everywhere, even in Europe though from what I understand.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Anatharon posted:

It will launch in Canada soonish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think Canada is the next country they're launching in. It would certainly make sense, now that they've got most of Europe and the Americas covered.

• Locked thread