Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
I pay for Spotify and use the free part of Google Play Music to upload music that's not available on Spotify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Medium Cool posted:

The way to do it is to make a playlist for local files, and then sync the playlist on your phone while connected to the same network as your computer. It would be nice if they made it a little more user friendly.

Yeah how do I do that part specifically? It seems straightforward but im not sure how to sync it. There's no device button on the Spotify Desktop program either.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Avocados posted:

Yeah how do I do that part specifically? It seems straightforward but im not sure how to sync it. There's no device button on the Spotify Desktop program either.

You have to do it from your phone. So add the local files on your desktop, add them to your playlist on your desktop or phone then make that playlist offline on your phone. Works but not all the time.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Also, Spotify may link your local files to incorrect songs in its database, but has removed the option to"un-link" or to correct the errors.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Also you can't edit the metadata of any imported tracks as of some update ages ago. So when Spotify can't read perfectly valid tags it gets all messed up.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Spotify Year in Music personal thingy is up and it's neat.

yearinmusic.spotify.com

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It also gives you a custom playlist at the end (Play It Forward). No idea how it's generated, it wasn't as great as Discovery Weekly for me.

I was pleasantly surprised by their current 3-for-1 deal. They've done those in previous years but those were only available to people who never subscribed to premium (something they didn't even mention until the small print). This year it's available if you weren't subscribed before November.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 11, 2015

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've been running my phone in offline mode up until recently, wonder if that would skew this.

Also; gently caress, where is the volume control :argh:

EDIT: the more I get through this the more I realise that it must.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
...what?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

They're saying that using Spotify in offline mode hurts the accuracy of the Year on Music thing because their listening history isn't being recorded.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

The rear end Stooge posted:

They're saying that using Spotify in offline mode hurts the accuracy of the Year on Music thing because their listening history isn't being recorded.

Yes, this.

On on this I wonder why Spotify doesn't make the listening information more available as it is clear they are storing and using it.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

If you want to be pessimistic and untrusting, it's because they're trying to double dip by turning their customer's data into a product. I imagine there's labels and such that'd be willing to pay a lot to see people's listening habits.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
True. Unrelated: has anyone noticed that on the Android update it doesn't seem to remember shuffle status now? Before my gym playlist was set to shuffle and my Starred was not. Yet now it seems to be a global setting not per playlist?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Anachronist posted:

If you want to be pessimistic and untrusting, it's because they're trying to double dip by turning their customer's data into a product. I imagine there's labels and such that'd be willing to pay a lot to see people's listening habits.

That's not being pessimistic ... that's being realistic. Customer data is the name of the game now. Why do you think every product now has a social element or account you need to sign up for in order to use it? It's so they can track you. Facebook, Kroger Rewards, CVS card, you know it. It's about collecting data that they can sell to marketers etc.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

The rear end Stooge posted:

I mostly listen to Spotify offline, and my Year in Music was fairly accurate in that my top albums were all things I played the poo poo out of to/from/at work and not really much at home where I stream over wifi, so I think it must be tracking how many times you listen to something and then telling its database whenever you're connected to the internet.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hey Spotify, stop reseting the "hide unplayable songs" toggle. I like knowing when a song is no longer available.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6813853/the-beatles-streaming-christmas-eve-sources

The news/report is a couple of days old already, but if this turns out to be true and The Beatles will really be available on Spotify/Apple Music/... starting on the 24th I'll have one very merry Christmas this year.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The important question is when the hell the full Kinks catalog goes on Spotify.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

The important question is when the hell the full Kinks catalog goes on Spotify.

They recently(?) added a bunch. I was pleasantly surprised to see Village Green Preservation Society on there a couple weeks back.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Yeah, all of the albums the Kinks released on Arista and RCA are there now. All that's missing is the post 1984 stuff, outside of Phobia, where they switched labels all the time. I also just noticed that a couple of days ago and have been binging through a lot of the records they released after Lola which I had never heard before.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Still no Seger???

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

stupid puma posted:

Still no Seger???

tbf the Seger cover band they have as the top results for any Seger searches is like 75% spot on

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!
Has anyone tried the family membership? I'm hoping it's as easy to split as Netflix, and I'm going to need a proper premium plan after my 3 months are up.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

DominoDancing posted:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6813853/the-beatles-streaming-christmas-eve-sources

The news/report is a couple of days old already, but if this turns out to be true and The Beatles will really be available on Spotify/Apple Music/... starting on the 24th I'll have one very merry Christmas this year.

It's official: http://www.thebeatles.com/sites/st_nick/index.html

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Hmm, I might have to activate my Apple Music trial to listen to this Apple music.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

And there they are, on my Spotify. I still can't believe it, I was sure they were gonna hold out for another year or two.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Aww, only the stereo remasters are available. Everything before the White Album should be listened to in mono.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It's pretty funny seeing the list of most popular songs on their artist profile and all of them being <1000. Hah, that will not last long.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 24, 2015

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
So happy they've finally given in

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

The Roku channel had been updated it seems. Search now does predictions. You no longer have to type the whole band name to find a natch. I just typed "beat" and all the Beatles stuff appeared in the results.

Praise be!

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
It is funny to me that the most played Beatles song only has a million plays. I wonder how long it'll take to skyrocket.

Also, I feel like when Pink Floyd showed up, their rate of plays was super large?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Paper With Lines posted:

It is funny to me that the most played Beatles song only has a million plays. I wonder how long it'll take to skyrocket.

The top songs on the Beatles page are super weird right now though. If you look at Love Me Do for example, it has over 3 million streams, and it doesn't even appear in the top 10.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Ringo should have hired a botnet to push Don't Pass Me By to the top.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Mierenneuker posted:

Ringo should have hired a botnet to push Don't Pass Me By to the top.

He won't have to do anything once the masses are able to realize how great Act Naturally is :colbert:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

me your dad posted:

They recently(?) added a bunch. I was pleasantly surprised to see Village Green Preservation Society on there a couple weeks back.

Wow, cool. I looked for Schoolboys in Disgrace just a couple of weeks ago!

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I find the way Spotify alphabetizes my favorite bands to be odd. All the "The" bands are under T, except for The White Stripes and The Wrens who are under W.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wow the Genius integration with the app is sweet.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Wow the Genius integration with the app is sweet.

It doesnt work for me. i see the special playlist, i have an iphone but if i play a song it just, well, plays the song.:confused:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Charlie Mopps posted:

It doesnt work for me. i see the special playlist, i have an iphone but if i play a song it just, well, plays the song.:confused:

On a song I just pulled down on the album art and it popped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Also, not on Android yet.

• Locked thread