Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Genius as in rapgenius.com? Oh god..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

cebrail posted:

Genius as in rapgenius.com? Oh god..

Yeah but so far I've only seen lyrics and quotes from the artists, not the inane comments by the community

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Doesn't Genius do all lyrics now? Because zip like the integration I just want most if not all my tracks to do it now.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Doesn't work for me either (the Genius integration), and I'm on iOS.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
here is an idea for a genius feature for spotify: fix all of the existing problems before adding new gimmicky bullshit that also doesn't work

Ps: is anyone having problems with bluetooth and the spotify ios app? Sometimes mine randomly skips even on downloaded playlists... I thought it was ios or my phone itself but other audio apps work fine over bluetooth

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 20, 2016

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

thathonkey posted:

here is an idea for a genius feature for spotify: fix all of the existing problems before adding new gimmicky bullshit that also doesn't work

Ps: is anyone having problems with bluetooth and the spotify ios app? Sometimes mine randomly skips even on downloaded playlists... I thought it was ios or my phone itself but other audio apps work fine over bluetooth

One issue I've been having a lot lately is that the player gets stuck on the last second of a song, then doesn't skip to the next song. I thought it had something to do with listening on corporate Wi-fi at work, but it happens on a cellular connection as well. Pretty infuriating stuff. I have to manually skip to the next song frequently.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Has anyone else gotten the podcast/video stuff Spotify just launched?

All the podcast stuff is really great and useful, but I don't know who the video clips are meant for besides people who forgot YouTube exists. Who asked for this?

It seems to be phone only right now, but I really hope all this stuff launches on desktop soon so I can finally get rid of iTunes.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 2, 2016

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I did see some video stuff and wondered what it was for...

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I just got Spotify Premium, and apparently there's a 3,333 song download limit on every device? I think I've reached that on my phone, since songs have stopped downloading, but there's no way to tell how many songs I have set for online listening? Is this accurate? If so, I'll need to switch back to hard drives full of ripped CDs, which is pretty annoying.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yup, 10,000 song limit across three devices, with no option currently to have the entire allocation on one. Unlikely to change anytime soon according to Spotify. Other services are unlimited so I really don't understand this.

Edit: And yeah, not even a counter. When resyncing my phone the other day, I made a note though, and 1440 songs took up 6.5 gig in high quality if that's any help.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 2, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

why are the first 2-3 tracks of almost every 70's Steely Dan album suddenly missing? wtf

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
How does the library limit of Amazon Prime streaming compare to Spotify? I keep hitting the library size limit and it's driving me insane.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Medium Cool posted:

How does the library limit of Amazon Prime streaming compare to Spotify? I keep hitting the library size limit and it's driving me insane.

It's poo poo. It's great if you have bought Amazon music, on vinyl or CD. You find that there.

Otherwise they can't compete with, say Google Play Music and its ability to upload songs.

Spotify is the far better catalogue.

Amazon's.. alright, but not big, doesn't have too many exclusives you can't find elsewhere.

Spotify used to be poor on "Big" artists; now you can find Beatles, Zep, Gaga, whatever you want, I don't know your tastes.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ZoDiAC_ posted:

It's poo poo. It's great if you have bought Amazon music, on vinyl or CD. You find that there.

Otherwise they can't compete with, say Google Play Music and its ability to upload songs.

Spotify is the far better catalogue.

Amazon's.. alright, but not big, doesn't have too many exclusives you can't find elsewhere.

Spotify used to be poor on "Big" artists; now you can find Beatles, Zep, Gaga, whatever you want, I don't know your tastes.

My tastes are fairly broad, my problems aren't really with selection but with the limit to how many songs I can save to my library. I already have Prime but it sounds to me like its not going to be worth making the switch. I just hope Spotify expands that limit because the current one is no where near enough for me. I get a notification that my library is full at least once a week and end up going on a purge. At least it keeps me from listening to the same things over and over again.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

"with the limit to how many songs I can save to my library."

Google Play Music is I think 50 thousand songs. For free.

That is a solution sir. I have my own digital library there, and Spotify, even Youtube does the rest.

Amazon doesn't compcare IMO, it's getting to be a flooded marketplace.

That's FREE google music btw. For your own MP3s or FLACs or whathaveyou. (It's "songs" - I have 35-minute albums, in one file, that count as one "song", good for live stuff.)

I sometimes subscribe - their catalogue is underrated. Plus blends you own, when you do the auto-playlists. I actually think the playlists it generates are great. Better than Spotify's, your mileage may vary.

If were you I'd fill a google play music library and then see what ISN'T there, and judge your subscription service based on that :)

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Deezer has unlimited downloads. I was on it for about three years up to Xmas since I got it cheap with my mobile phone contract. Now that deal's over, Spotify edges it over Deezer at the same price for me, but if unlimited downloads means a lot to you, you might go the other way.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
Google Play Music has artists Spotify doesn't have, and I can't remember a time where I couldn't find something on Play Music that I knew Spotify had. But that's me. Spotify's mobile app worked pretty flawlessly though, whereas Google's just randomly pauses sometimes or will start playing every single song in an album with no sound so I have to hit the back button to start the song over. Really annoying. Free YouTube is really nice, but I'm thinking about giving Apple Music a shot soon

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Apple Music has been pausing for me a lot lately. I've been genuinely torn between Apple & Spotify. Spotify is better....but jeez, it sucks loving balls organizing your music library while Apple kills it at that....but then Apple syncs the wrong songs and the music discovery isn't as good as Spotify's.

Ugh.

I just want my mp3s and music over the services I paid for to play nicely together with great library organization and synchronization and use that information to help me discover new music. Spotify, why's it just gotta be a huge list of songs in alphabetical order when I click on an Artist? And I can't use star ratings to differentiate stuff visually?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I generally dig Spotify but gently caress their Local Files system is stupid and broken. Some tracks/albums just refuse to download to my phone when other local files work perfectly. No rhyme or reason, it's loving annoying.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Google Play Music has artists Spotify doesn't have, and I can't remember a time where I couldn't find something on Play Music that I knew Spotify had. But that's me. Spotify's mobile app worked pretty flawlessly though, whereas Google's just randomly pauses sometimes or will start playing every single song in an album with no sound so I have to hit the back button to start the song over. Really annoying. Free YouTube is really nice, but I'm thinking about giving Apple Music a shot soon

I'm actuary the opposite. Spotify > Tidal > Google Play Music in terms of artists I specifically want and it's but even for dumb exclusive reasons like the life of Pablo

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Plus this comes with yt music. If it's not on play it'll be on yt music. I listen to a lot of live concerts so it's pretty great for me.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I noticed recently Spotify has lost Neil Young and Prince... did they go to Apple Music or what? I'd give Apple Music another shot but I like using a dedicated desktop player and itunes is both terrible in terms of UI and a complete dog in terms of performance.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I don't know about Neil Young, but Prince went exclusive to Tidal (another music service).

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Nah, not apple. Prince is exclusively on Tidal, and Neil Young is on no streaming service, because obviously you can't properly enjoy Neil Youngs ultracomplex music when it's streamed in such horrible quality so you need to buy them on his audiophile Pono stuff.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

cebrail posted:

Nah, not apple. Prince is exclusively on Tidal, and Neil Young is on no streaming service, because obviously you can't properly enjoy Neil Youngs ultracomplex music when it's streamed in such horrible quality so you need to buy them on his audiophile Pono stuff.

He is the most old fuddy duddy guy there is which is kinda endearing even if it means I cant stream Ragged Glory

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

for many years Neil Young has been one of the main proponents of the idea that digital music of any kind is not only Fake but also Evil and Medically Bad For You.

now I guess he has "cured" it with whatever the gently caress Pono is. I don't care enough about Neil Young to actually look into it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Earwicker posted:

for many years Neil Young has been one of the main proponents of the idea that digital music of any kind is not only Fake but also Evil and Medically Bad For You.

now I guess he has "cured" it with whatever the gently caress Pono is. I don't care enough about Neil Young to actually look into it.

Pono is a standalone media player for FLAC files that you buy from PonoMusic.

THE REVOLUTION IS HERE!

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Somehow I don't think he'll stop making CDs though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

cebrail posted:

Somehow I don't think he'll stop making CDs though.

What are you an idiot? Everybody knows that physical formats are all flawless and exactly how the studio sounded.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Neil maintains that streaming quality sucks but I think he's just shilling for Pono which I just don't give a poo poo about. I just ended up downloading a bunch of MP3s and syncing them to the app. At least Deja Vu is still up for streaming.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I've been considering moving to Google. GPMDP is supposed to have an EQ but I can't find it on Windows 8.1 at least. Also I can't enable HTML5 audio but no idea if it's supposed to even work. All I really care about is the EQ. Does anyone have had the same issue?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I've been trying to get Spotify to fix the alphabetical sorting bug in the iOS app since it first appeared in June 2015 and every time they're like "nah it's not an issue." I guess someone decided that the best place for The Velvet Underground is in between Thom Brennan and Ulver.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I finally found the menu that allows you to sort your playlists on the ios app at all so I feel pretty happy with that alone. It is kinda hidden up in the filter settings at the top of the lists.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Warning: Boring music organization talk

I just revived my love with Spotify and figured I'd share. I've been split between all of the music streaming services because I have an existing library with iTunes before the streaming services took over that has the vast majority of my music. Of which I've also spent countless hours being super anal organizing and rating everything. I started using Spotify because it was a hell of a lot easier than finding the songs to buy or download.

But, that split my libraries. My existing and main library with iTunes. And all of my new music for the past 4-5 years with Spotify. I enjoyed iTunes's interface. But it ran like garbage. Spotify was nifty, but it's local file support sucks poo poo (and still does, really). So, I hopped on to Apple Music and LOVED it initially. Then, I realized how much its new music discovery paled in comparision to Spotify. Annnnnnnd, it's Apple Match killed local songs for me because I have a ton of VERY specific versions of songs that I want to retain (live, remixes, alternate verisions). And while it worked alright on my desktop, I couldn't sync those songs to my iPhone anymore and that was a deal breaker to me. It also didn't help that I've hit a bug with my iTunes library that won't sort albums by release date anymore without everything playing in reverse order (wtf).

So, I rethought how I listen to my stuff.

Old system (iTunes):

3 Stars - Songs I really like and want bookmark for myself in a sense. Not my favorite, but I always like hearing them.
4 Stars - The heavy hitters.
5 Stars - My absolute favorite songs in this world, the pinnacle of my taste in music. The songs I feel are the greatest ever to my tastes.

But, I don't want to lose these ratings I spent yeaaaaars marking. So, how do I incorporate that into Spotify also without losing track of my favorite newer songs on Spotify?

Well, my iTunes playlists are imported into Spotify. So, I have the lists for my 3 stars, 4 stars, and 5 stars songs.

So, I came up with these 4 Spotify playlists:

The Gold Collection - Just the 5 star songs from iTunes
The Silver Collection - Just the 4 star and 5 star songs from iTunes
Best of the Best - All of the 5 star, 4 star, and 3 star songs from iTunes + every Spotify song
Recent Favorites - All of my super favorite Spotify songs from the past few years

Then, I went through all of my Spotify songs (1,300) and added the ones to the Gold and Silver collection as needed.

But, the process I now abide to when I find a new song that I like?

+ Hit the Save Button
+ Add to Best of the Best playlist
----If I really like it, I also added it to the Recent Favorite playlist
-------If I REAAAAAALLY like it, I ALSO add it to the Silver Collection playlist
--------<3 If I LOVEEEE it, I ALSO add it to the Gold Collection playlist

Current library: 3,962 songs
Gold Collection : 217 songs
Silver Collection: 1,279 songs
Best of the Best: same as current library
Recent Favorites: 199 songs

Note: The Gold, Silver, and Recent Favorites are saved and Available Offline to keep the local tunes despite if they match anything on Spotify or not (live poo poo and etc)

Now, I used to be a music HOARDER. I had over 20,000 songs. Then, when I swapped to Apple Music, I cut a lot of poo poo out (cause why hoard and use hard drive space when you can stream poo poo you're not immediately familiar with and just have on your To-Listen-To List? I cut it down to 7,000 songs. Which also included a ton of full albums and such. So, with Spotify, I tried to use the weaknesses and strengths of it along with my actual listening habits and realizing you can't have the whole cake. But instead, figuring out the perfect system with how I listen to music. So, if I didn't already have my music previously marked from iTunes with at least 3 stars, I cut it from my library. BECAUSE.....if I want to hear the full drat album, I'll just hit -Go To Album- and stream the whole thing and keep my favorites off of it. I tend to do a lot more playlist listening, almost like my own personal radio station. Which is how music listening has gone. Some say unfortunately. I say whatever.

Now? When I play music, I'll play the Best of the Best list that will have all of my favorites along with new music I've marked and might need a little more patience listening to. I'll play the Silver Collection when I want to cut the stuff I'm working on and go straight to my favorites. Gold when I want JUST the best. Recent when...yeah, duh. It's a system that works for me and has me excited to combine both of my libraries in a sense that WORKS.

So.

END RESULT: I've incorporated ALL of my favorite local files into Spotify along with all of my newer Spotify music from the past several years into one 4 playlist package. I keep my local and favorite tunes along with growing my library with new stuff. They play side by side and life is happy.

I feel accomplished. Nobody posts in here anyways, so I figured gently caress it. Maybe it might help somebody.

Oh, and with this, I've canceled Apple Music.

89 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 8, 2016

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
That is pretty cool.

I've gotten hosed* like three times from computer failures so I just keep track of what I listen to with last.fm. It is totally different from your strategy, but bless you for figuring out a way to make a move work.

*Meaning that the stupid single itunes file has gotten owned or I've lost huge chunks of my mp3 collection.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Paper With Lines posted:

That is pretty cool.

I've gotten hosed* like three times from computer failures so I just keep track of what I listen to with last.fm. It is totally different from your strategy, but bless you for figuring out a way to make a move work.

*Meaning that the stupid single itunes file has gotten owned or I've lost huge chunks of my mp3 collection.

Oh, dude I've lost my collection TWICE....

CrashPlan.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

89 posted:

Now, I used to be a music HOARDER. I had over 20,000 songs. Then, when I swapped to Apple Music, I cut a lot of poo poo out (cause why hoard and use hard drive space when you can stream poo poo you're not immediately familiar with and just have on your To-Listen-To List?
What do you do if you want to get into some new music that isn't on a streaming service?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

A human heart posted:

What do you do if you want to get into some new music that isn't on a streaming service?

I download it and add it to the Best of the Best playlist or better if it's awesome.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Has anyone figured out a good way to organize by genre/year in Spotify? That's the one thing Apple Music has over Spotify for me right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
another day, another big release not on spotify. this time it's radiohead.

• Locked thread